“We were glad it had a generator!!”
Review of Luxor Bar & Grill

Luxor Bar & Grill
Ranked #60 of 153 Restaurants in Luxor
Price range: US$10 - US$14
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Formerly The Fortune Cookie Plus King & Thai we are back with our excellent chefs in a new modern fully licensed restaurant. Close to all the major hotels tell your driver we are near The Lantern Restaurant opposite Snobs. BIG Screen sports Fully Licensed. Good Wine list plus Ice Cold Beer On Tap! If you have problems finding us come to A Taste Of India & Arabia my other restaurant for help.
Scotland, United Kingdom
“We were glad it had a generator!!”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Luxor currently has power cuts due to the summer demand, for things like air-conditioning, exceeding the available supply. We had popped in to have a meal which had just been brought to our table, when the lights went out.
We had a torch, but it wasn't required for long, since, after a couple of minutes, the restaurant lights came back on. They had had a new generator installed. One minor comment though, the generator isn't large enough to run the air-con, but the restaurant has ceiling fans which it is able to keep running, as well as the lights etc.
We had ordered one rice & 3 dishes which turned out to be far too much for us. A Lemon Juice and a Stella completed our order, these being poured into glasses that had been taken from the freezer.
Mrs eLaReF has been cooking Chinese meals for over 50 years, having lived in Singapore so I know that the same dish doesn't always taste the same. The only time you get the identical taste is when the meal is pre-packed from a bulk supplier. This was not one of those occasions, the food being freshly cooked.
Outside, the street and nearby restaurants were still in total darkness
We visited on 4th June 2013

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank eLaReF

• Polish first
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
“Couldn't wait for the sizzling chicken”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Another visit and yes another fantastic meal (three visits in fact). My wife went as usual for the sizzling chicken and sizzling it was. Delicious, scrumptious, mouth-watering, tasty food. Awaiting our next visit to Luxor in November to sample the delightful menu.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank HolidayChris
UK
“Wow”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Just eaten in The Fortune Cookie after eating in The Taste of India last night absolutely delicious food, service and atmosphere. Well worth a visit. Great value for money. Looking fwd to return visit. Thank you

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank tomotourer
Chicago, Illinois USA & Cairo, Egypt
“Not bad Thai food; had better!”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We ate here in March. The dishes were generally okay. I am a Thai connoisseur. I know many Thai friends. I eat over at their houses, etc. Although this place boasts a real Thai chef, it's a bit lacking for me. The tastes weren't as strong. Spices weren't very spicy, which is not Thai-style. The quantities were small. I know that Thai portions are small, but that doesn't cater well to the foreign crowd who like to eat well and good.

So if you're craving Thai, give it a try... but if you are a connoisseur of Thai and have had lots of great tasty spicy Thai-style authentic foods, then don't expect a whole lot.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank cairoegypt
ras2, Owner at Luxor Bar & Grill, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Hi
Thanks for taking the time to review your visit.
I am sorry you found that the food was not spicy enough for you. We now serve all our relevant dishes to a medium strength. Waiters will ask how spicy the food should be prepared including traditional Thai level and if asked we can always add more if required. As with all good Thai restaurants we have spicy chili oil available for guests to spice any dish up themselves should they want to.
We did however find we could not remove the spiciness should someone find a dish too spicy as some guests commented on when we originally prepared the dishes very spicy at first when we opened.
I am also a Thai connoisseur and had I not found an excellent chef and a good supply of fresh ingredients I would not have invested in opening a Thai restaurant in Luxor when the current visitor levels are down by 70%.
Just about any issue can be dealt with in a restaurant but very few can be resolved on the internet.
Regards
Russell
Luxor, Egypt
“The King and Thai, the best Thai food I have ever had”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I was just treated to a wonderful meal at the King and Thai. The two restaurants have separated and it is now located in St Joseph St, although still under the same management. We started with Thai Fish Cakes, Chicken Satay and Prawn balls. Well the moment I saw this hand prepared dip/sauce with the fish cakes I knew we were on a winner. It was amazing, fresh as fresh could be. All three starters were fantastic. We then had the jungle curry, I want spicy and my friend medium and we were totally impressed to notice they had been cooked totally separately, she had more green bits than I did so it wasn't just adding more chilli to mine. Both had been cooked separately and were totally delicious. The waiter then successfully tempted us with deep fried ice cream, pineapple and toffee sauce. We succumbed, how I finished it I don't know but every mouthful was irresistible. The chef is a Thai lady and I really felt I had popped into her home for dinner, I will definitely be back. i don't know how much it cost as it was a treat but the menu prices seemed very reasonable.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank FlatsinLuxor
ras2, Owner at Luxor Bar & Grill, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to "The King And Thai" I am pleased you found the food to be of the quality I know we serve and enjoyed your meals with us.
I hope you will return in the near future.
Regards