“Charming, Friendly, and Clean”
Review of El Mesala Hotel

El Mesala Hotel
Ranked #16 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
El Cerrito
“Charming, Friendly, and Clean”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

First of all, I want to say that the west bank of Luxor is the place to be. When I first came to Luxor in 1971, it was a peaceful country town. One could linger on a park bench on the grassy bank of the Nile and chat with Luxor's charming children. By the time I visited in 1988 Luxor had become a roaring city. The bank of the Nile is all concrete these days. The children are just as pretty and charming though.

The west bank still retains the pastoral feeling that Luxor proper lost long ago. On the west bank, the walk from the Nile to the farm fields is about 3 city blocks. The shop keepers and residents are very friendly and there is definitely a small town feel.

El Mesala Hotel is a lovely place to spend one's time in that setting. It has a very light and airy feeling. Its pretty tile floors are kept in a pristine state of cleanliness as is the hotel in general.

We purposely targeted small, family run hotels for our visit to Egypt as we wanted to be closer to the people of Egypt. It is perfectly possible to stay in an international, corporate hotel with staff that is impeccably polite in a rule bound way in Egypt. When you are in those hotels, you wouldn't know you weren't in the Hyatt Regency in some American or European city. It's like you never left home.

El Mesala Hotel is not at all like that. The staff is genuinely friendly. You can have real conversations with them about their lives and ideas. They pay attention and are interested in who you are. For example, they noticed us giving our daughter presents for her eleventh birthday one morning. That night, the staff showed up after our dinner with a delicious, custom made, birthday layer cake for her. It was a touching gesture.

We had a two bedroom one bath suite for our family of four. It was clean and comfortable. It had a good sized refrigerator which was great for storing bottled water and other drinks. While it was winter during our stay, the temperature outside was 80 degrees F or so. The air conditioning kept the room at a nice cool level. The swimming pool was also pretty and well cared for. My kids did find it a little too cold for very long swims. We took advantage of the laundry services and did a couple of tour arrangements as well. We just wanted drivers, not guides, and they were able to provide that service with no hassle at all.

The roof top restaurant did not have a big menu, but the meals were well prepared and very reasonably priced. I think they will accommodate special requests. They had a number of outstanding fruit juice drinks. The breakfast included in the price of the room was light and nutritious (yogurt, fresh fruit, omelet, tea/coffee, bread). The ambiance was matchless. The view of the Nile and the Temple Luxor was unimpeded and exotically beautiful. It was a pleasant place to hang out in during the afternoon with a drink and a book.

I have traveled very extensively both for pleasure and business over the years. I don't think I have ever stayed in a more memorable and pleasant hotel in all that time. I am left with a feeling of affection for the staff and the place. El Mesala Hotel is more than a good value for the very reasonable price. It is a memory worth having.

Thomas Laxar
Stayed at hotel March 2013

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Thomas L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Just returned from a holiday on the West Bank of Luxor where we stayed at the El Mesala Hotel. The hotel has a great location, just a few minutes from the public ferry which only cost 1 Egyptian pound to cross to the East Bank. The view from the hotel could have been fantastic but sadly it was slightly marred by the cruise ships moored up across the river, I would have loved to have seen it without them because the hotel is directly opposite Luxor Temple. The hotel is clean and bright, great shower and comfortable bed. Shower curtain was a bit of a nuisance but that was hardly going to spoil a great holiday. The food in the rooftop restaurant was some of the best we ate during our stay. The breakfast was the same every day but the manager made it very clear on the first night that we only had to ask for something different if we wanted but we were quite happy with an omelette, bread, fig jam, a banana & yoghurt & coffee/tea.
The pool area is secluded and well kept. There were times when we were lacking bath towels, pool towels or toilet paper but this was always remedied as soon as we mentioned it. This is not a 5* hotel, if you want all the extras go stay at the Winter Palace but if you are looking for a hotel on the West bank with a great location, helpful staff and reasonable room rates then I recommend the El Mesala Hotel.

Tip ~ There is a taxi driver called Mohammed with a red taxi that has a yellow sign on the door and back window that we used all the time ~ his fares were reasonable, he was always on time, his local knowledge was excellent and nothing was too much trouble. He has a little book that customers have signed. I think perhaps the hotel would have liked us to have booked trips through them but we preferred to make our own arrangements.

1 Thank elefturner
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We booked our week in Luxor in March this year at the last minute and I must admit that when originally looking for accommodation I was drawn towards the 5* hotels in the area which all had great reviews and were offering great prices. However I'm so glad that we ended up choosing El Mesala as although I'm sure the 5* hotels would have been lovely, I very much doubt that we would have had the same experiences that we had by staying at this friendly West Bank hotel.

As mentioned throughout the reviews here, the staff are all amazing, nothing is too much trouble and everyone is so friendly. They keep the hotel spotlessly clean, both in the rooms and around the public areas. The food is excellent and great value for money. The restaurant manager Ahmed ensures that only fresh food is used and so not everything on the menu is always available but there is still a large enough selection to have something different for lunch and dinner every day. We only ate out once as we liked the atmosphere and the food so much and dining on the roof top terrace every night overlooking the Nile was amazing. SeSe in the restaurant was fabulous and looked after us brilliantly. I should also mention that they do serve wine and beer at the hotel although in some previous reviews from last year they didn’t. This was due to issues with licences following the revolution in Egypt at the time and Mohammed the owner was keen for me to confirm that this is no longer the case!

The rooms and bathrooms are spacious, very clean and very comfortable. Yes the ones at the front with the balcony overlooking the Nile are of course preferable but actually from what we saw, every room would be just as comfortable and let’s face it, you don’t want to be spending your time in your room anyway. I really loved getting up (not too) early and going up to the rooftop terrace for breakfast with a book for an hour or so each morning. The breakfast provided is standard each day but I also made a couple of special requests for toast and a fruit salad for a change a couple of times and this was no problem. Make sure you ask for a freshly squeezed orange juice which isn’t part of the standard breakfast but was well worth paying a bit extra for.

The hotel was very quiet during our week, which was lovely for us as it meant we had the place more or less to ourselves on some days, but is a real shame for the owner and staff. Tourism has really suffered in Egypt recently and Luxor people and businesses in particular are struggling as tourists are their livelihood. This also meant that when we went over to the East Bank and also when we visited the Valley of The Kings, there were very few tourists and therefore less of us for the locals to ‘hassle’ with their offers of horse carriage rides, boat trips, and souvenir’s which meant we probably got more attention than we would have done in busier times. However at no point did we feel intimidated and although some were more difficult to shake off than others as long as you’re firm and polite they will eventually give up! I have to say that I felt safer walking round Luxor than I do in many parts of London.

We absolutely loved our stay at this hotel and in Luxor and will definitely be returning this year, the first time we have ever said we would revisit the same hotel and place in all our years of travelling. There is just so much so see and experience that we didn’t get round to everything we wanted to do in a week because we also wanted to spend a couple of days completely relaxing and chilling out round the pool. Plenty more to do when we return which we are already planning.

Thanks to everyone at El Mesala for such a fantastic week of sun and fun!

1 Thank clareb1207
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We had a fabulous time here in a great friendly hotel take notice of any advise given on trips especially trips to the valley of the kings. There is a lovely small swimming pool in a nice discreet sun bathing area which you can have drinks or food brought to you by the very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the front with a view over the Nile
1 Thank Leegarb
Lancashire, England
Reviewed 4 February 2013

One the recommendation of other TA members I booked this hotel for nine days in the middle of January 2013. I was a female, travelling alone to study. What a truly excellent choice of a place to stay!
I was a little wary of staying in a B&B on the West Bank, but I need not have worried. The hotel is fantastic value for money.
First impressions on arrival are good, the free pick up at the airport was a very welcoming experience that carried on throughout my stay. The exterior is lovely, well kept and quite pretty. There is a small pool, cleaned daily and it's a pleasant place to sunbathe.
The rooms were a great surprise! Bigger than I expected with plenty of storage, a good bathroom with a shower, and French windows opening out onto a balcony with views to die for!!
More importantly, the was a full sized fridge which was ideal for all the water and Fanta that I bought from the little mini market around the corner, alongside the Nile. There was a small TV and free wi fi. This really amused me, as all the more expensive hotels on the East Bank seem to charge a fortune for this service.
Breakfast was lovely and eaten in the roof top restaurant. The only better place to eat with a similar view was the Mena House in Cairo!
The views were of the Nile, a few yards away and of the Luxor Temple. I really couldn't have asked for more!
The staff were exceptionally professional and, more importantly, very kind. They made me feel so welcome that when I was leaving it was like leaving friends.
I will certainly be booking the El Mesala for my next trip and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to other travellers.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Room Tip: Ask for a Nile view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Rowz
Paphos, Cyprus
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Stayed here for a week in January. Excellent location, the owner and staff were really friendly, couldn't do enough to assist with anything and made you feel so welcome . Rooms were clean and comfortable, if you had any problems they were immediately sorted, breakfast was good. Food and drinks available at the hotel good value and lovely. Booked several trips through the hotel these were excellent with a driver and excellent guide Ahmed, who really knew his stuff. We also went on Hot Air Balloon trip arranged by Mohamed (Hotel Owner) and it was wonderful. This was our first visit to Egypt and we feel we couldn't have chosen a better place. We would thoroughly recomment staying here, but If you want expensive, impersonal 5* luxury then you probably need to look at one of the large hotels on East Bank (these are not for us). We would definitely stay at El Mesala hotel again. The hotel is so close to all the sites which are so easy and quick to get to. Ferry across to East Bank a few minutes walk away and cost just 1 Egyptian pound (10p sterling). There is no hassle on the Ferry, everyone is so polite. You get off the Ferry and are almost right in front of Luxor Temple.

Room Tip: Front Nile View Room excellent - lovely views
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SouthernVisitors_11
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Hi Everyone at Mesala!

It’s me James from England, I’m sorry it’s taken so long for me to review your hotel but I’ve been sooo busy at work!!

Anyway, Ok, If you want to stay in a traditional, clean, extremely friendly hotel this one’s for you!

It’s been 27 years since I’d been on holiday and it was my first visit to Egypt (something I’ve been wanting to do for over 20 years now!)

I booked at the Mesala because I’d read lots of good reviews about the place on here and decided I’d try it for my first trip abroad alone. I was met at the airport very late at night by a taxi sent by the hotel and had a wonderful trip around the east bank discovering the organised chaos that is driving in Egypt before arriving at the hotel! The first night I was there the air conditioning had stopped working but as the temperature at night in Egypt in November is a pleasant 20’c I wasn’t too uncofortable. After mentioning it the following morning it was duly fixed by mid morning and I had no further problems with it at all.

The one thing I worried about most was eating and drinking whilst in Egypt, and I even had a spare week off work after I got back home just in case I got the dreaded Pharaoh's revenge! I had most of my meals at the hotel which has a delightfully quiet restaurant on top over looking the Nile to the east and the Theban hills to the west. Not only were the meals delicious (Thanks' CC!) but I never got the run’s, not once!!

Another good place I discovered to eat is the Blue Sky restaurant run by Mohamed, just go out of the hotel turn right down the street and it’s 100 yards on the right with a garden overlooking the nile on the left. Again food is amazing, hot, tasty and I personally recommend Mohamed's fresh Lemon juice!! Also on the same stretch of road is a small supermarket where you can buy all the bottled water, snacks and supplies you need.

Back at the hotel, all the staff from the guy’s who clean your room to the hotels managers are absolutely amazing. Genuinely friendly which as I found to be an Egyptian trade mark. Watch out for Hazel she’s the Mesala’s unofficial secretary who pop’s in to help out with the computers and booking. She can be found in the lobby most mornings and has a wealth of knowlage and can point you in the right direction should you need it.

My room was 203 and it was fantastic, it’s on the right hand side of the hotel on the second floor and has amazing views over the Nile and Luxor Temple! Bed’s are made every day and I never saw any dirt, bad smells or insects. The bathroom has a shower, sink and toilet all of which are kept spotlessly clean and made it a pleasure to return to after a hard day exploring the sites! The hotel is a great launch pad for all the west bank sites by the way which are easily reached by taxi (or hire a push bike like I did for the week, the hotel can arrange that for you)

Something I’ve not seen anyone mention when talking about the Mesala which I really did notice is the abundance of wildlife you can see from the hotel! I saw Kingfishers, HUGE dragon flies countless other birds and I even had a falcon fly past me as I ate my meal on the roof, I doubt you’d get that on the East Bank!

I did spent a little time over on the East Bank (The Dark Side as I call it) and I have to admit it’s very Vegas, with it’s five star hotels and all the glitz and glitter, I couldn’t wait to get the ferry back over the Nile to the REAL Egypt.

I could go on for hours telling you about how good my stay was in the Hotel Mesala but I think you get the idea.

If your an independent traveller or a family just looking to get away from the usual scrum of the east bank you’ll find it hard to beat the Mesala!

And yes, I’m going back this year, and this time I’m taking family!

James, Sheffield, England.

Room Tip: Try and get a room over looking the Nile, I was in 203 but there are rooms above this where the view...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo