“Great people”
Review of Pharaoh's Stables

Pharaoh's Stables
Ranked #23 of 39 Outdoor Activities in Luxor
More attraction details
Owner description: Pharaohs stables on the west bank Luxor 5 minutes from the ferry terminal.We will take you to places where the big coaches cant go,so you can enjoy the real Egypt,with its friendly people and relaxed lifestyle.Every day is different when you see the West Bank by horse,and our guides will look after you all the way. We can take you on rides between one and four hours,we have camels and donkeys too.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We found Pharoah's stables after walking around in Luxor and the people were fantastic. If you do much travelling on your own in Egypt, you find out pretty quickly that anyone who speaks English is going to lean on you heavy to get every cent out of you. These people offered us tea, drinks, and were generally very kind.

The place is not-touristy and will adjust the trip how you see fit. Animals were well looked after. We did a donkey ride to the valley of the kings and came back the next day for a camel ride. The valley of the kings trip is something I will remember for the rest of my life, it was incredible. Will probably require you to be in ok shape since you have to cross a mountain on a donkey, but it was great.

1  Thank Paul W

Reviewed 8 June 2012

I have a disability but the people & horses at Pharoh's Stables were very good. Even though I struggled to get on the horse it stood quietly.

The sunset ride was wonderful!

2  Thank SusiD11876
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I haven't been on a horse in 40 years and my wife never has but we fancied the idea of a "sunset ride" so booked with Pharaoh's and gave it a go. Contrary to one of the earlier reviews, we were given two small but healthy-looking horses and a careful guide who lead us through the sugar cane fields, into the desert by the Valley of the Kings and back to town past the Collossi of Memnon. All in all a memorable experience. Yes, my horse ran off with me at one point in the desert but I hung on until he slowed down and no harm down. You don't need to be a rider to take this trip but you do have to have enough confidence to get on a horse. They are more spirited than donkeys or camels. And if you not sure, take the donkey or camel instead. There's no shame in that and the views will be equally enjoyable.

Afterwards we looked around the stables with the owner, Mohamed and had a cuppa with his family. I'm not an expert but all the horses seemed well-cared for to me...

1  Thank mrcox79
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We booked a horse ride with Pharaoh's Stables in Luxor after careful research as we are both horse owners so wanted to feel that we were enjoying a ride on well looked after animals.
We turned up at the pre-booked time to be presented with some of the scrawniest horses we'd seen since arriving in Luxor. They were in horrendous condition and we therefore walked away as I would not be willing to get on an animal in such poor condition.
I am well aware that horses in countries like Egypt don't enjoy the privalages and grazing that our own do in the UK, but it was obvious in our walks around Luxor that many of the horses are incredibly well looked after and in great condition, so it was a real shame that these two were so horrendously thin. When I said that I wasn't willing to get on such a thin animal I was shouted at by the owner who told me that they needed thinner tourists, i'm 5'8 and a size ten so hardly fat.
In the end we booked a ride with Luxor stables whose horses were in much better condition and enjoyed a trip into the desert to watch the sun set.

5  Thank Rebecca H
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I really decided to write a review for this, after having one of the most lovely rides ever! Of course most people have ridden horses and donkeys at some point, but how absolutely wonderful it is to have a camel ride, particularly in a country such as Egypt on the West Bank of Luxor.
Mohammed from Pharaoh Stables is delightful, we called him directly on our mobile using the trip advisor details and asked about a ride for myself and my husband and our two 8 year old daughters. He suggested a camel each, smaller ones for the girls, and a 2 hour ride, we arranged a time to ride during sunset, and to meet at the Luxor ferry dock.
Everything was impeccable, we took a quick cab ride to the dock where Mohammed was waiting with a liitle sign saying Pharaoh Stables and a big smile. He was so lovely, gentle especially with our girls, and escorted us to a boat of a friend, so we didn't have to haggle, he did it, then got off the other side on the West Bank where in a little sandy area 4 camels were waiting!!
He asked if we wanted to walk along the Nile or through the villages to the temple, we choose the temple.We then proceeded to walk through the bustling village and along little tracks at the back of the village to open fields, where we observed just how little has changed from ancient times. A amazing sight for the girls as it's what they learn a school happening before their eyes! We went past banana groves, seaeme bushes, couscous fields ( I'd never seen this before), sweetcorn, and fields and fields of sugarcane, which the young boys who guided the camels, ran to the farmers and cut us some to try. There we were riding camels eating raw sugarcane, lovely if a bit stringy! Watching farmers load donkey carts with the harvest and women herding sheep. It was amazing, all with the sun setting and the distant view of the mountains and temples. The whole time they were super friendly and it was comfortable, safe and utterly unique.
I can't recommend this more highly! Mohammed took us back all the way to the East bank, and unlike so much of the local guys that hassle and that you always feel are trying to rip you off he was so gentle, quietly spoken and made sure our whole experience was memorable and hassle free. Just a delight. We will be definitely recommending this to anyone we know, and I would say this is really worth taking the time to do, so easy, very well priced and his camels are so well looked after. A must with children! Thank to Mohammed and his family who help, we will remember it forever.

6  Thank Harrylionpaws