“Wonderful”

Cleopatra Hotel Luxor
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I noticed some set their rating at the level equivalent to a star rating you might expect in a city like London or New York. I'm not quite sure what some people are searching for in a holiday in Egypt but for me I wanted an Egyptian holiday.

I'll get the negative out of the way... This has NOTHING to do with the hotel. You cannot walk anywhere without being hassled. I tried to experience an Egypt in Luxor for myself which did work but lessened the enjoyment because of excessive harrassment. Save yourself the stress and simply sign up to an guide for the week but negotiate car, entrance fees etc. in advance. You won't save any money at all by trying to do anything by yourself since egypt has a very strict local vs Egyptian pricing policy. In my experience even if you have an Egyptian trying to negotiate pricing for you they'll still casually ignore the request and charge you the "tourist" fee anyhow.

Positive:
The hotel was amazing! Since I'd chosen my own holiday and done things my way I got a lot of hassle, The hotel was the one place I knew I was safe from this. The food was amazing, my room was always clean and we even received bird shaped towels on our bed. The staff were all friendly and no service was too small. I'd already made a decision to give a tip to staff and hotel before I left due to excellent service. This is the only area I had problems. With most of the tourist attractions you are asked for money all the time. A the hotel I wasn't sure how to give tips for their excellent service.....

Room Tip: This is an Egyptian hotel with real Egyptian culture and food. Forget 5* mod-cons enjoy the real Eg...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarkPerry_1
cleopatrahotelluxor, Manager at Cleopatra Hotel Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear royal guest,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is important to us, so we can continue to improve our quality and service for our guests.
On behalf of all our staff, thank you very much once again for your stay at Cleopatra Hotel Luxor, and we hope to welcome you again in the near future!

Ragab
Cleopatra Hotel Luxor

There are newer reviews for Cleopatra Hotel Luxor

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed here for a week and the service we received was great. The owner, Nasir, was so friendly and helpful. There were no pressure tactics to buy anything or go on tours. If something wasn't affordable, he would make it affordable. A man with a wider vision of how things work and sees the bigger picture. We recommended this place to other people and they loved it too. The rooms are spacious and ours had a fridge. The view at Cleopatra is stunning as you can see the Valley of the Kings. Just round the corner, there is a little shop and a bakery for any little bits you might need. The Egyptian and Continental breakfasts are lovely and hearty that will leave you stuffed! Laundry service is also available at an great rate too. We can't recommend this place highly enough. We'll be back again Nasir! Thank you!

Room Tip: Go to the roof terrace at night to see the Valley of the Kings lit up. Stunning view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Andrew M
cleopatrahotelluxor, Manager at Cleopatra Hotel Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Royal Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for spending your time at the cleopatra hotel on your holiday and taking the time to write your review of our property in TripAdvisor.

We are happy to learn that you had a wonderful stay at our accommodation

On behalf of the whole team I would like to thank you again for taking the time to post such a nice comment.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed for two nights in the Cleopatra Hotel in October 2013 and highly recommend it. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The triple room we were given was actually more like two rooms, with plenty of space to spread out, very comfortable mattresses and pillows, and everything was spotless. The rooftop restaurant has a really lovely view and the food was excellent and clearly prepared with a lot of care. We were also very impressed with the service. One of the staff, Mohammed, came and picked us up from the bus when we arrived from Cairo and everyone was very nice and accommodating throughout. However, the real kicker was when, after several days in Aswan and Abu Simbel we passed through Luxor again before heading back to Cairo. We had some time before our night-bus to Cairo and so decided to return the Cleopatra to enjoy a dinner before getting on our bus. When we arrived, the owner offered us one of the rooms for a few hours FOR FREE, so that we could relax a bit and take much needed showers. It is really rare to find this kind of service in most budget or mid-range hotels in Egypt and it really left an impression. But even without the above-and-beyond service, I would still consider this the best-value hotel I've stayed in in Egypt. I very highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Briana O
cleopatrahotelluxor, Manager at Cleopatra Hotel Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear , Valued Guest,

Greetings from The cleopatra hotel luxor.

Thank you for sharing your cleopatra hotel luxor experience and we are happy to hear that that you had an amazing stay here at the hotel

I do greatly appreciated your comments upon our team Mohammed and certainly will share it with Mohammed that I believe he will feel very appreciated.

On behalf of the entire team, we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future and certainly hope that your next stay will be as enjoyable as the last.

With best regards,

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Arrived at Hotel late at night at approx 1030pm with my wife and brother and his wife and was met by Hotel owner Nassah and his staff member Mohammed who treated us like family from the start - During our stay Nassah attended to all of our requests which included buying beer (yes we are Aussies) - changing money over and even buying a new travel bag to replace one broken during transit - I would like to say Nassah and Mohammed are most warm friendly and gracious people who appear to take pleasure in assisting their guests – Nassah even lent us his own money until we could change extra money into local currency – During our stay of four nights Nassah arranged and fulfilled all our tour requirements with a reputable local tour guide (Ricki) who escorted us in a vehicle to many local Luxor ancient attractions – A donkey ride from Hotel to Hatshepsut (nicknamed Hot chicken Soup) was also arranged – Recent negative press reporting of Egypt has resulted in tourist industry falling on bad times – I had all intentions of cancelling my trip to Luxor and after seeing everything appearing normal with my own eyes am glad I came - At no time did my family and I fell unsafe – Due to bad press reports we found we were the only guests at the Hotel and were allowed to pick any rooms we wanted – We chose rooms on first floor which we found convenient and comfortable – The Hotel is located in close walking proximity to Nile river and backs onto to local farms and villages – You can even hear Donkeys calling out and others replying in-kind – The hotel rooftop is where you have breakfast and can order limited restaurant meals for lunch and dinner – The view from the rooftop is fantastic as you look at the Valley of the Kings– At night between 7pm and 10pm the Valley of the Kings is lit up –an impressive sight especially with good company and a beer or drink in your hand – Once again I cannot overstate our host's and staff hospitality - It not uncommon for them to come and sit with you to have a good old fashion chat– Nassah invited my family and I to his home for lunch and arranged an inspection of the nearby primary school – We were introduced to the teachers and school children who were being taught in Maths and Religious Studies and Arabic classes – A teacher even gave us a quick lesson in Arabic Alphabet with it being written on black board and translated in English – Overall our experience in Luxor has been memorable due mostly in part tour host Nassah – I recommend this Hotel to everyone as you will not be disappointed not only with the personal attention you will receive but also living amongst the locals who all greeted with a smile and a hello or welcome – The situation in not as being portrayed – Come and visit Luxor whilst you can still visit all the local ancient attractions without all the shoving and hassles

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Glen N
cleopatrahotelluxor, Manager at Cleopatra Hotel Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at the cleopatra hotel luxor .

and Let me take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your review on our property in TripAdvisor. It was a great pleasure to read through your review and I truly appreciate you writing such gracious comments about the services you were accorded.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I agree with everyone on the staff, food, and view. However, I think people should know that this is not an American style hotel. It would certainly not qualify as a 2 star - maybe not even 1 star. We had significant bugs in our rooms, there is no elevator, and the AC units (despite being very loud) did very little to help with the heat in June. Beware - this is not near anything...I think the other side of the river would be much more convenient and comfortable for the average American traveler.

I would say this is a great hotel for backpackers, young folks on a budget, or people who don't need what I would consider to be just average American style creature comforts. We also had some safety concerns traveling with children with this area of Luxor.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank WBWT
cleopatrahotelluxor, Manager at Cleopatra Hotel Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Valued Guest
First of all I would like to apologize should your experience did not entirely meet your expectation. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At CHL we strive to provide day after day a superior service, therefore your feedback are important for us.

regarding your room condition, I am pleased to inform you that we have an ongoing refreshment project to maintain our standard; therefore, hopefully you will give us another opportunity to show you the superior service for which we are well known.

On behalf of the whole team I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience and annoyance caused to you.

and we are looking forward to your next stay with us hopefully in the not too distance future.

Managr

Reviewed 21 June 2013

I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. I'm an American student who was studying Arabic in Jordan, and traveled to Egypt for 5 days in early May. Booking was easy, the confirmation reply was nearly instantaneous, and they were able to arrange a taxi pickup from the Luxor Airport.

We didn't get to the hotel till after 11 pm at night, but Naser (the owner) welcomed us and we talked with him for an hour about our itinerary for the next day as well as about different issues going on in Egypt. We were speaking Arabic but his English is quite decent.

We were show to a clean, comfortable triple room with air-conditioning and a private bathroom. A much nicer room than we had been expecting.

We spent the next day touring the West Bank of Luxor (Haptsetshut Temple, Nebo Temple, Valley of the Kings, etc). Naser had arranged our taxi for us at a reasonable price, and also a faluka ride on the Nile that was one of the highlights of the trip. The second day (unfortunately our last) he tailor-made our schedule based on what we wanted to see, and there were no surprises when it came time to pay.

I would recommend this hotel to anybody without reservations...it is clean, quiet, well maintained, the staff are kind and helpful, the food is delicious, and the price is more than reasonable.

Also, anybody worried about the security situation in Egypt need not worry about Luxor. Aside from being practically no tourists at the sites, you would never have been able to tell there was a 'revolution'. The two friends travelling with me were girls, and they felt perfectly safe in Luxor (Cairo not so much).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Colin V

Dear Royal Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to know that you really enjoyed your stay at Thecleopatra hotel luxor
At CLHL we strive to provide day after day a superior service, therefore your feedback are important for us.

and we hope to welcome you back again soon

regards

Reviewed 12 May 2013

We stayed in the Cleopatra in March 2013 not really knowing what to expect. After an efficient airport to hotel transfer from Ali we were immediately welcomed onto the roof terrace for the first of many teas and a shisha pipe. Ragab or Reggi as he likes to be known planned our tour itinerary for the next two days straight away. What followed was a weekend of hotel relaxation, great food cooked by the very sweet Mahmood and amazing sites with Reggi leading us and filling us with amazing facts. The hotel is perfect for visitors on a budget who want comfortable, friendly relaxing accommodation. P.S. No alcohol!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mikee K

Dear Valued Customer, ,
Thank you for your lovely review very much for your lovely review and taking the time to share your experience with us. We are pleased to know that your enjoyed our location service and facilities.

On behalf of the whole team I would like to thank you again.