“A hidden Little gem of a shop”
Review of Caravanserai

Caravanserai
Ranked #35 of 85 things to do in Luxor
london
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“A hidden Little gem of a shop”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

If you're on the West Bank then this is a must. I loved this shop although the stock was slightly depleted, understandably so, as we visited when the FCO was still in place, no tourists, no money.
Hand blown glass, handwoven rugs, beautiful scarfs, jewelry bags and terracotta, all locally made. No hassle shopping and very good value. If you are looking for something to remind you of your time in Luxor or a little gift this is the place to come.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Fiona9368

• Turkish first
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great shop with traditional crafts”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Well worth a visit if your on the west bank, especially as it's right outside habu temple. Ignore the generic shops selling the same things and check this out instead.

Otley, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Call in on the way to Medinet Habu”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

After seeing the Excellent rating, I was disappointed by this shop and glad I hadn't made a special journey to visit it. On the plus side, it is completely hassle free and inexpensive. However, there wasn't much I wanted to buy. I did come away with a multicoloured woven cotton scarf for LE20 which has washed OK now I've got it home. This enterprise could do with tourists' support, the stuff it contains is certainly more authentic than most of the tat to be found in Luxor, so I'd encourage anyone going to Medinet Habu to call in, you'll pass it on your way there.

Visited December 2012
Chadderton, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Must see shop”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Called here today after reading the reviews !!

Great shop full of great things made locally, I bought a hand woven small rug for my house in the UK for only £7 and some other nik naks for one a few LE. Take your time to look around and use the international language of the calculator to discuss prices on things that are not marked up and even haggle them down if you buy more than 3 items.

Take small dominations of notes as the owner will not have change.

Ensure you take the directions as below with you as our driver had never heard of the place.

I paid 40le for a driver to take me there, wait and return me to the ferry port area ( I stayed in a flat from Luxor4u ) great flat too at a cheap price.

Get your driver to drive to the twin colossus statues and turn first left after you pass them, then 100 yards on the right you will see the shop. There will probably be a big water buffalo outside tied up ;-)

You will not be disappointed with the trip and it will save you a few quid and also help out the locals.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Adam B
Ojai, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Authentic Upper Egypt village experience shopping”
Reviewed 14 May 2012

This little shop was a memorable experience and I am so glad TA led me there.
It's worth the search-our driver asked a man right across from it and he said he did not know it, then I luckily spotted it. You cross a wooden bridge and when we were there a cow was tied nearby.

Visited May 2012