“Everyone should try”

Price range: US$16 - US$20
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Egyptian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Salahadeen Feast - 15 different local dishes served over 3 courses - an experience to savor and remember!
Turku, Finland
“Everyone should try”
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Salahadeen not only looks beautiful (decor) but the food is excellent and you can't find most of these local cookings elsewhere. When I heard it is open, had to go there again. Reservation is needed. At first you might think the cost is more than in other restaurants - but - they have lots of different food and i just couldn't move when I finished eating. If you eat starters etc. in any other restaurant the cost will be the same if not more.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank daniellax

London, United Kingdom
“No one home”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

We tried to eat at this venue but the door was looked and no one answered, the road outside was a building site - we were very disappointed to not be able to try the cuisine :-(

Visited November 2012
Mara_House, Owner at Salahadeen, responded to this review, 2 December 2012
I am so sorry we were not open when you called. As per our website it is a must to make an advance reservation. We are not an ordinary restaurant and only cook if and when we have reservations. Even calling on the day before is not sufficient notice.

We only do one service when we are open and that is a Feast of 15 traditional family food in which you are served all 15 dishes over 3 courses.

We are not in the normal tourist area - we are behind the train station and do not have any 'passing trade' to benefit from. Apart from that the number of tourists in Luxor at the moment is so low that we are rarely open. So, please anyone else wanting to experience our wonderful feast - you should make your reservation even before you come to Luxor so we know we have enough to schedule it for specific days.

On the other hand I can also say that the mid-Dec to mid-January period is looking extremely busy and our situation for that period will be over-booking so you need to book in advance for a different reason.

Wishing everyone a pleasant time in Egypt and for those coming to Egypt for Christmas I hope it will exceed your expectations.

Taurinya, Languedoc-Roussillon, France
“great range of food in a lovely dining room”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Mara House is supremely comfortable and the dining room is a beautiful and relaxing venue for the wide and varied feast which is prepared when there are enough takers in the hotel. The meal consists of a large number of small dishes served on one large tray; having read other Trip Advisor reviews, it appears that others had had these served sequentially: starters, hot & cold etc. In our case, we started with a choice of two soups and then the rest all came together. I think it might have been nicer to have the hot and cold dishes served separately, but the range was excellent and the food all freshly prepared. Mara House staff are extremely helpful and attentive at all times, and it is a pleasure to be so well looked after.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Jackie E
Hi Jackie,

You are wonderful for taking the time to write us up here on the Salahadeen Feast - thank you so much. Good food and flavours are important to me and Egyptian dishes are wonderful in their variety - so glad you enjoyed it.

We always serve the main course - 12 dishes combining hot and cold together because that is the way Egyptians have their meals, it's the combo that makes for the great experience, though that is not what we are used to. I think the Egyptian way of eating much more satisfying and enjoyable than our usual European selection of meat, veg and potatoes/rice!

The third course is the dessert and kirkadee. There was a table in the restaurant the night you had the Feast and it was their second night dining with us - they did not want the full meal so I think that is why you thought they had the hot and cold dishes separately.

Again, I truly appreciate your taking the time to recommend our Salahadeen Feast.
Best wishes and thanks,
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food in an amazing setting”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We have been to Luxor lots of times but first visit to Salahadeen. There was a power cut in the area so it was difficult to find in the dark Our taxi driver eventually found the right place and it really was the RIGHT PLACE ! The house/restaurant is furnished in style and the food is authentic Egyptian - two soups for starters, then a dozen or more small dishes, some hot and some cold. A simple dessert followed. Everything was excellent. Mara was away in Cairo but that did not detract from the great dining experience. Because of the lack of tourists you need to make an advance booking as the restaurant is not open every night.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Snipsy47
Mara_House, Owner at Salahadeen, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
It was wonderful to have you join us for the Salahadeen Feast and as you are the first to review us after such a long time - your review is a blessing for us :-)

The power cuts are a bit of a bother - just another one of the surprises and challenges that we encounter here every day. I think it's the challenge that has kept me here so long (10 years) - I don't have time to think about moving on!

Thanks for your wonderful review, your tenacity in finding us in the dark as well as the advance booking - it took a lot of work on you part to get to us - I'm so glad you thought it worth the effort.

I hope we see you back soon and that I am there myself the next time you come.
Many thanks for taking the time to write and best regards to all your family.
Luxor, Egypt
“Stuffed again!”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I'm sorry about the indelicacy of the title, but that is what happens to me whenever I visit this place!

With the dearth of tourists here at the moment, we were lucky to catch the Salahadeen open last night. It was lovely to again be greeted by the smiling Madam (Mad Mara for short, lol.) Mara. Unlike any 'normal' restaurant, where the food can be prepared quite quickly or re-heated in the microwave, the food at the Salahadeen takes most of the day to prepare freshly, each time the restaurant is open, and therefore Mara won't open unless she has a worthwhile number to cook for. During normal times this isn't really a problem, but customers for any sort of business are very few and far between just now!

Anyway, along with the other diners, we thoroughly enjoyed our Egyptian feast in the beautiful diningroom, with the ornamental fountain gently gurgling away and the barely perceptible background music, after first chatting and sipping our pre-prandial drinks in the comfortable bar. The lovely and satisfying meal was similar to those we've had here before. Even with the odd variation which Mara makes in some of the mezzes from time to time, it was still all that we were hoping for.The pudding was especially delish; vanilla ice cream and sliced mango, they complimented each other perfectly!

Freda even took a couple of books across, to swap with some different ones from the Mara House library. (Damn those 'Kindle' things, people just aren't bringing, and leaving, books in hotels any more!)

Five Stars; again, and every time!

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank ourluxorflat
Hi Edward & Freda,

Many, many thanks for your great review and apologies for time taken to acknowledge it. As you know it has been difficult to predict the future here and I have had to spend a lot of time in Cairo.

Amr and Sahry are doing a great job of looking after everything while I am in Cairo and I should be back soon. Thankfully, business seems to be more steady now and hopefully we will be open every night again soon instead of the 3 nights a week at the moment.......hmmmm "mad" ? yes, I think I was a little saner before I moved to Egypt! But then the daily challenge is rather exciting isn't it?!

Welcome to my library any time, Freda - and many thanks again Edward for the lovely review :-)
See you soon,