“Wow!!”

Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed 10 May 2011

We booked for one week at the Pavillion, sister hotel in the gardens of Winter Palace, but on arrival was told it was closed so were upgraded to the Winter Palace! Amazing! I won't go on - suffice to say I agree with all the other positive comments on this page. There was really nothing to complain about. Breakfasts were fantastic with huge array of choice inlcuing Sushi and real honey from a honeycomb.. what more could you want? Excellent value for money, brilliant staff, lovely huge rooms, holiday of a lifetime. Such luxuary. Many thanks to the staff.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Harribones
Write a ReviewReviews (1,209)

Reviewed 6 May 2011

This is a review of both the Sofitel Old Winter Palace and it's modern wing, the Pavillon, which share the same site and facilities.

My friend and I have just returned from yet another fabulous week in Luxor. We had booked the Pavillon, the modern wing of the Winter Palace. Sadly, due to lack of business, the Pavillon was closed so we were transferred to the Old Winter Palace. What a treat!! The room itself was beautifully furnished in traditional style befitting a palace but the best part was the Nile view balcony. From here we saw the hot air balloons rise over the West Bank at dawn every day and every evening we watched the sunsetting with feluccas sailing by.The rest of the Old Winter Palace is very grand, with imposing lobby, sweeping staircase and elegant dining rooms, all furnished in colonial style. A talented pianist plays nightly in the Royal Bar, adding to the atmosphere.

Although I didn't stay there this time I also recommend the newer Pavillon wing, where I have stayed on six previous occasions. The rooms are spotless, spacious and have recently been tastefully refurbished in a more contemporary style. All rooms have large balconies overlooking the splendid pool area or the gardens.

These outside areas, which are used by both Palace and Pavillon guests really are the hotel's trump card and are quite unique in Luxor. The football pitch sized grounds are superb, with lush lawns, specimen trees, flowers everywhere and a wonderful fragrance filling the air after dark. The pool area is splendid with two linked pools, comfortable, well-spaced beds, plenty of umbrellas and such friendly and helpful staff.

There are five restaurants: Egyptian, Italian, buffet with various themes, and two more formal restaurants in the Winter Palace which welcome Pavillon guests. Food quality and service in all is excellent and prices are comparable with UK.

Of course the location is amazing - being right on the Corniche (Nile promenade), five minutes walk from Luxor Temple, the souk and the ferry across to the West Bank. The awe-inspiring Karnak Temple, Valley of the Kings, Queens, Nobles, Tombs of the Workers and the little visited gem of Medinet Habu are 30 minutes by taxi. A little further away North are Dendara (60 mins) and Abydos (2 hours) both fabulous and well worth the effort. South are Esna, Edfu, Kom Ombo and Aswan for the gorgeous Philae Temple and awesome Abu Simbel.

Don't be put off by the talk of hassle in the town. Most people are just trying to make a living. If you're not interested in what they are offering, just smile, say firmly 'No shukran' and keep walking. They will soon get
tired and look for another potential customer.

We feel very privileged to have stayed at the Old Winter Palace, especially in our wonderful room but the Pavillon offers more affordable luxury. If you are interested in Egyptian culture and history there is so much to see and learn and the hotels are a sanctuary to return to after the excitement and bustle of Luxor.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RZ1
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Most has been said before so very simply it's a wonderful hotel with great staff. We got upgraded to a inter connecting room in the palace which was huge and over looked the garden. The pool area is lovely and at night they turn it into an Italian restaurant. The breakfast buffet is large with most guests eating early before heading off to see the sights before the heat gets too much in the afternoon.
It's a great place to unwind after spending time in Cairo as Luxor is much smaller and easier to get around. Hotel was busy but Luxor had very few tourists and many boats on the nile were tied up. No queues to see any of the tombs ! You must go now !

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I first stayed at this hotel in the early 1990's before the extensive renovation. It is now beautifully restored, with lots of ambiance. We were very pleased. There are several restaurants so you have a wide variety of choice for dining. The bar is the greatest with a turn of the century atmosphere yet very comfortable. The staff at the hotel was very attentive, informative, and kind.
I stayed at a top hotel on the other side of the Nile on my last trip but I much prefer being in the town. This is a great location. It is easy to access, plentiful taxis and in the center of Luxor.
This is a historic Colonial hotel and not for those that prefer a more casual stay, though there are restaurants that are informal. There is a very nice pool for adults and for kids.
Our room was well furnished, comfortable, good ac, spotless, a great bathroom, plush towels, robes and slippers. I highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: the Nile side has the view w/ just a bit of noise
  • Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We were booked into the Pavillons but were upgraded into the Winter Palace. Everything is fabulous about this hotel.

The rooms are great, the staff are incredible and cannot do enough for you!

Breakfast was a wonderful experience - choices varied daily and there was suchi a couple of times, freshly made waffles. The honey is even 'dripped' from a honeycomb - it caused such interest many of the guests were taking pictures of it.

The rooms are kept clean and there is daily changes of towels AND bedding.

The pool area was relatively quiet most of the time but there is however plenty of space in the grounds for everyone.

Lunch can be eaten in the pool area at the bar and the selection on the menu is very good - enough choice for the most 'picky' person.

Fresh fruit on skewers is brought round to guests around the pool around midday - a nice touch.

Plenty of staff to bring drinks, food etc to you on you sun beds.

Tried the ice reams with freshly made cones and they were wonderful !!!

The rooms in the palace area a sheer joy, you can just indulge yourself in the history attached to the Palace. In the evening there is a pianist playing in the bar, which is very nice.

Try a meal in the 1886, its a good experience but you will need to wear a tie - but if you forget one the Palace staff can oblige and lend you one.

You can get 'afternoon tea' in the lounge which is also worth doing. A plate of cakes and sandwiches along with a selection of tea.

If you don't feel like going out in the evening try 'room service' it's a good way to relax after a day seeing the sights of Luxor.

Great hotel, great location. Can't fault it - truly wonderful

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank R1893YXli
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I arrived at the Winter Palace - my 22nd visit to Luxor, having booked into the Pavillon wing in the lovely garden and was told I had been upgraded to the Old Winter Palace building. (the Old Winter for those who dont know is the original grand building at the front)

My travelling companion and good friend was also upgraded and we had two first floor Nile View rooms with balconies.

The rooms were lovely, spacious, clean and all we needed. I had a twin, my friend a double and nice marble bathrooms.

The upgrades were really a thank you to the people who had travelled after the unrest in Egypt and also why open two buildings when you can accomodate the people in one - this made perfect sense to us for many reasons.

I have stayed at this hotel many times but always in the Pavillon - I always thought the Old Winter was a little expensive but I have to say after this upgrade I have changed my mind and I will be looking for rooms here in the future. I am sure others who experienced the upgrade will do the same.

Yes it is more expensive than the Pavillon but it is also a more memorable experience all round. The breakfast is super with a huge selection of juices, fresh fruits, smoked salmon, pastries, cakes, cooked foods - it just goes on and on believe me.

Sweeping down the grand staircase into the enormous lobby is also a real treat. It really is a fine building indeed. Some people say its a bit tired - well I say rubbish to that - it is a fine old lady with a history going back many years. Howard Carter and Lord Canarvon stayed here as have many famous people and it is really like in days gone by.

So if you stay here you have to take the hotel for what it is - of course it has some mod cons, but it has all been sympathetically done so as not to spoil the grandeur of the place.

We took afternoon tea - what a real treat and at £7.50 it will not break the bank. There is a delightful quiet Royal Bar for the evening cocktail and nice restaurants in which to eat.

The pool area, which is super, is shared by all (old winter and pavillon) but due to the lack of tourists most days it was very quiet. As I say I have been before when the hotel was almost full but there is still usually room around the pool in which to relax.

I made full use of the hotels laundry facilities to ensure I arrived home with clean clothes - again a bargain really.

Super staff, very polite, great room, great view, very relaxing holiday indeed. The General Manager - Mr Christian Ruge seems to have this hotel running very smoothly indeed and is a credit to Sofitel who run the place.

I just can wait until October when I will return.

Craig

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrCDEDINBURGH
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I stayed 2 nights here before 1 night at Steinberger Nile Palace, which I also reviewed, and wish I had splurged and stayed all 3 nights at The Sofitel Winter Palace. I paid for Winter Pavillon which is inside the Winter Palace but a separate building and received an upgrade to here because of my brother's Platinum A Club membership (i have a gold). Room was great and I had a Nile View. I checked in after a long taxi ride from Aswan, wearing socks and sandals, and as a flashpacker, I was a little embarrassed to be looking so out of place, but check in was great and as I was filling out my information I received a welcome drink of hibiscus juice. The room was clean and the bathroom was nice and the shower pressure was very good, in comparison to other places in Egypt where I stayed. I especially enjoyed breakfast in the morning, complete with china and white tablecloth service and an egg white omlette...almost as good as the breakfast at Sofitel in Cairo (El Gezira)...Only one little snag during the stay... i am allergic to down feathers so after asking several times for non-down pillows, or for some fiber pillows, no one was able to get me any after multiple attempts (as they kept bringing me down pillows). Anyway, I ended up bunching up the covers for a good night sleep, which could be hard to get since its a Nile View, BUT I think there is a unwritten law out there in Luxor that says there must be quiet out in front of this hotel. It was always loud, all the time, everywhere but in front of this hotel. No one yelling or honking throughout the night. It is great! I highly recommend. It is my second favorite hotel of my trip.

Room Tip: Get an AClub Membership card
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family