This hotel was built in 1886 and is truly a stunning place. We were in Egypt with our daughter and granddaughter (18 years old) as they had always dreamed of seeing Egypt. We had stayed at the Winter Palace on a prior trip, but our daughter and granddaughter were just stunned by the grandness of the place and loved it. In fact my granddaughter keeps saying that this is the one place she wants to go back to.
Our rooms were in the old original section and had high ceilings with large French doors that opened on a small balcony facing the garden. After having just done a lot of hot, hectic Egypt touring, this was truly an oasis of peace and luxury.
When we got settled after arriving, we had lunch at L’Oasis, in the garden area out by the pool. It was very nice to just sit out there and have a pleasant lunch. The one objection I had though was that in the evening the bars and restaurant have dress codes. Since this was a trip to tour Egypt neither my husband nor the girls had brought “dress up” clothes, so we could not go into the bar or the restaurant. Luckily we had eaten a late lunch, so just did not have dinner that night.
The service here is good, but a little reserved. The staff did not seem quite as outgoing and friendly as we had found most of the Egyptions to be. Not sure why.
I did have one interesting experience. When we arrived I was hot and tired and in the bathroom was just about the biggest bathtub I had ever seen. I proceeded to start filling the bathtub with bubble bath and crawled into it. Only problem was that when it was full the water would not shut off and the drain was stuck. I had to call my husband, who finally got the drain loose, and then had to call the hotel to send someone up to turn the water off. While I was sitting on the bed in one of their big bathrobes, it took about 10 different men, arguring back on forth as to how to solve the problem, to finally get it shut off. Needness to say I never did get the bubble bath.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Winter Palace, built in 1886 on the Nile banks in a tropical garden is a magical experience of history luxury that hosted royalties and celebrities throughout the years. Winter Palace offers the mythical atmosphere with the modern decor comfort of a 5 star hotel. It is located in the city center, just minutes from Luxor Temple and the airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Prestigia, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor Hotel Luxor
- Accor Winter Palace Luxor
- Winter Palace Luxor
- Sofitel Luxor
- Luxor Sofitel
- Old Winter Palace Luxor