“Amazing architecture and history”

Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing architecture and history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Such a fabulous hotel - beautiful design! The main restaurant was a bit random and the cheaper hotel next door with which you shared a pool wasn't very nice but overall great staff, good food and a beautiful location!

Our room was massive - literally you could have put an entire flat in there!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alliekeith
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear guests, thank you very much for your stay at the Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor and for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I am sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. and we will take in consideration your comment about La Corniche retaurant in view of doing the necessary changes. We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Kind regards, Rafic KHAIRALLAH, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have been regular visitors to Egypt for years and stayed in almost every hotel in Luxor. Our stay this time was perfect; nothing was too much trouble for the caring and attentive staff, from the room attendants to the breakfast man in the restaurant who is retiring this autumn after a career at the Palace. Our dinners in the Corniche restaurant were top quality. The room was spotless. The bar service and atmosphere relaxed. Breakfast was not the normal buffet due to the small number of guests but everything was done to ensure we had enough choice. The gardens were in top condition and the nighttime bar outside excellent for winding down at night after the heat of the day. Special mention for bookings manager Ossama for his assistance in making it a great stay. The hotel has been working for a couple of years to provide a more exclusive experience for its paying guests and this has been misinterpreted by some as being stand-offish but the change is based on feedback from their guests. Also top location for a stroll into town, to cross the Nile, pick up a boat or a nighttime wander to Luxor Temple. Superb views across Nile to the West Bank or of the garden from your room.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rosemarie L
Dear guests, thank you very much for your stay at the Sofitel Winter Palace and your detailed feedback. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We do our best to keep the historical charme of the hotel which was build in 1886. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. We are looking forward to welcome you back to Luxor. Kind regards, Rafic KHAIRALLAH, General Manager
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I decided to celebrate my 49th Birthady yesterday 2nd May 2014 by taking a High Tea in the Winter Palace with my companion . After reading other reviews i had mixed feelings about the High tea but i thought i would still like to visit . Our Holiday guide had contacted the hotel earlier in the day and was informed that teas would be served until 7 pm . We arrived a few minutes past 6 as we were running a little late due to traffic delays . We made our way up the grand staircase and my first impression was the hotel was looking her age with outside paintwork was starting to peel . when we had reached the top of the staircase we were stopped by an member of staff who rushed up the staircase he abruptly asked us if were residents ? We informed him that we were not but had come for High Tea !!! He muttered that it was not possible to take it as they had finished serving at 6pm . This member of staff was rather snooty and rather ill mannered he finally let us enter and made us take a seat in the back of the hotel . He kept telling me that short trousers were not allowed !!!! Seeing that the tempratures that day was nearly 42 C I had decided to wear some rather smart and expensive short trousers , and i had viewed on the internet that other people who had visited the hotel for HighTea had also worn short trousers and even beach wear shorts . After being handed a drinks menu were imformed again that High Tea had Finished , but something could be sorted if we waited the member of staff went away and several minutes later another member of staff came over and asked us if we were being attended to . He went away and another several minutes passed finally a young waiter came over and told us that we said that he could serve us High Tea !!! Then another waiter walked over to us and told us curtly that we were in the wrong room .and we could take High Tea outside on the terrace !!!!! We were frogged marched out side to the terrace . We felt that we were NOT WELCOME at this hotel (Seeing that visitors to Egypt has virtually disappeared i would of thought that members of the hotel staff would be encouraging people to visit not to drive them away) We were finally attended to by a charming waiter who served us tea when the tray of food arrived we were disappointed because there were no sandwiches instead there were various canopes which was a poor substitute for bread sandwiches !!! This hotel is relying on its once now fading grandeur but that is not enough !!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank tony1877
Dear Guest,
First and foremost allow me to thank you for your loyalty shown in the sharing of the experience you had at the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace especially on such an occasion i.e your birthday. That's why i took personally charge to investigate what exactly happened.
I think the problem started with the timing of the HighTea which is fixed at the Winter Palace from 4pm till 6 pm since the inseption of this concept. but i assume the Holiday Guide has given you wrong information about it. In fact, the timing is posted in the Lobby and no Employees have the right to change it. Of course we make lot of exceptions with our Guests where we extend the time, but I assume we didn't have enough information of the time you would be arriving, which generated this problem, and which at the same time got the Employess to take time to get back to you as they should have an approval. Same would stand for the selection, as the kitchen would prepare quantities for the time of serving, that is maybe why the selection was not up to your expectations.
The terrace you were ecsorted at in the beginning is not the back of the hotel, but it is the Royal garden terrace.
Having said all the above, there is nothing that could compensate or justify your bad experience, once again especially on your 49th birthday, that is why I have given clear instructions to put up a new proceedure for the High tea at the Winter Palace, and I hope we get the chance to host you and show you our real hospitality.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We originally booked at another hotel - which was said to be 5 stars, but was not. Don't let the online reviews fool you - the Winter Palace is the best hotel in Luxor. Beautiful gardens and pool. Very helpful staff. Terrace bar to watch the sunset over the Nile. Incredible old hotel with character and modern conveniences. The reception desk man even surprised us with a fruit bowl and in room desert after hearing about our trials at the other hotel. Really made us feel welcome.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Amie_Thes
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear guests, thank you for your stay at the Sofitel Winter Palace and your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed the great Old Palace and the sunset by the nile terrace. It is our aim, that all our guests at this wonderful hotel feel truly at home.I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to Luxor in the close future.
Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Winter Palace provides a quiet oasis after a busy day of touring or to get away from a busy city such as Cairo. The check-in service is great. The lush colorful gardens are well maintained and very calming. The pool is beautiful and warm. We stayed in a Pavillion room. It was spacious and clean. The breakfast food was OK. I've had better but it did the trick. Friends who stayed in the Palace shared that their breakfast had more variety and selection. We attended a wedding on the grounds in the evening. The food was served buffet style and it was fantastic! We didn't eat in the Winter Palace restaurant but if the buffet food is any indication of the restaurant food, you are in for a delight. We'd definately stay again if we return to Luxor.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear guests,
thank you for your stay at the Pavillon Winter and your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed the Garden view room, the Royal Garden and the pool. We do our best to preserve the authenticity of the hotel and it looks like we are doing quite well.I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and to take in consideration your comments about the Pavilion breakfast buffet in view of doing the necessary changes. We are looking forward to welcome you back to Luxor.
'honorary' Egyptian - Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

After a gap of a year, I returned to my 'second home' of Luxor and the Old Winter Palace hotel. As always, I am warmly welcomed (well, I have been coming to the Pavillon since 2000!) and made to feel special right from the start.
As I have some mobility issues now, I decided to place myself more centrally and conveniently in the OWP, as opposed to the Pavillon and I was privileged to have a Nile view room - wonderful! The staff know that I bring many clothes (staying a month) so there was a separate clothes rail in the room for me (that made me laugh)!
Whilst the hotel is even more 'shabby chic', I really would not like it to be thoroughly modernised and lose the lovely 'old world' ambience.
Even though I have only been home a few days, I am already booking my November stay - cannot wait.
Egypt and especially Luxor (as it is totally reliant on the tourist industry) are going through tough uncertain times but I would urge everyone to not be afraid and visit the country and its wonderful monuments and temples. Luxor is quiet and the people are friendly (yes, there is hassle, but more understandablye so now) and the Old Winter Palace remains my secure haven - would not consider staying anywhere else!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank EgyptianQueen01
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear guests, Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the Nile view room. We do our best to keep the historical charme of the hotel which was build in 1886. It is our aim, that all our guests at this wonderful hotel feel truly at home. Therefore, We hope to welcome you back in November. Thank you again for your nice words. Kind regards, Rafic KHAIRALLAH, General Manager
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Although we have not stayed here we do visit every time we go to Luxor which has been just about every year for many many years. We love the library for a cocktail before eating in the 1886 where good food, and ssrvice combine to make a very enjoyable experience. For us the highlight is listening to Radwan play live, it just makes it so special. We hope to be back very soon to repeat this wonderful experience.

We have also enjoyed many lovely walks in the gardens with gorgeous smells from the flowers, unusual bird life, ice creams and lunch in the restaurant. In the days before they knocked it down the new winter palace also had some enjoyable live music. Afternoon tea is also very pleasant and takes you back in time.

The nostalgia and oldy worldly charm is something not to be missed and I would recommend it to anyone visiting lovely Luxor.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank honestbluei
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear guest, thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed the atmosphere in the bar, 1886 Restaurant and the Sofitel Winter Palace services.
I hope you discovered the collection of more than 1.000 historical books in the cabinet in the back of the bar. Some of them are from the 1890s and a real literary treasure. We would be glad to welcome you back to the Sofitel Winter Palace on one of your future trips to Egypt. Kind regards, Rafic KHAIRALLAH, General Manager