“The splendor of a bygone era”

Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
NJ
“The splendor of a bygone era”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This place is palatial. Though you can tell parts of the place are starting to look a bit worn. However, overall, it is an amazing luxurious hotel. When you arrive, you are brought a cold glass of hibiscus juice. From the stairs and chandeliers, to the grounds and abundant staff, you will really notice you are in a fancy place. And an expensive place.

I was able to be upgraded and the rooms are large - as is the bathroom. My room had a garden view - other rooms have a Nile view. Room had a small balcony.

Free wifi is available in the lobby,

The pool is nice - there is also a bar with hookah/shisha, massages, spa services etc. The price for massages and spa services were reasonable for a resort.

I was not there on an all inclusive package. The restaurants are SUPER expensive. I did not have breakfast - but the breakfast buffet is $28US.

Room service was nice.

The fancier restaurant (of the 2 that were open) is called "1886" - though that should really refer to the elevators. (if you have been here you will know what I mean)

Note: I normally never stay in luxury hotels, but was able to due to the lack of tourists in Egypt and the huge discounts hotels are offering. If you have yet to go to Egypt, now is the chance to go when the sites are free of tourists and everything is very cheap. And while you have to weigh the costs of supporting a dictatorship, remember most people had no problems visiting Mubarek's Egypt - and more importantly, so many people rely on tourism for their livelihood, that any tourism activity is going to make a huge difference to people.

3 Thank move360
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the Garden view room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. We do our best to keep the historical charme of the hotel which was build in 1886
We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Best regards,
Rafic Khairallah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Sofitel Winter Palace last April to attend a wedding. Overall, we were IMPRESSED!

So let's start with the pros: 1. Hotel staff was very friendly and attentive. Our experience with both reception and housekeeping was excellent. Reception was very helpful in immediately allocating us to another room when we complained about noise from room next door. Housekeeping was extremely efficient in transforming our double bed room into a king size bed room; 2. Hotel interior is luxurious, with high ceilings, huge chandeliers, beautiful carpets, etc.; 3. Rooms are clean and give you the feeling of being in an actual palace; 4. The hotel view is breathtaking, overlooking the Nile; 5. Breakfast is very rich; 6. The hotel’s garden and pool area are beautiful; 7. Location is very close to Luxor temple

Moving on to the cons: Overall we faced two problems at the hotel premises, which were immediately resolved. Thus, I can’t complain much about anything really: 1. Despite requesting a king size bed, we were assigned to a double room. We called reception and a couple of minutes later housekeeping was at the door transforming our double beds into a king size one in less than 2 minutes. I was still planning to pick a fight with the reception due to that mix-up, but once I tried the bed, I truly couldn’t have guessed that it wasn’t a king size bed all along; 2. Prior to the wedding the room next door had started a pre-wedding party, so I informed reception that I would like to change the room as I am certain that an after party will most probably take place in that same room. 5 Minutes later, my luggage was moved to another, even bigger, room.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have a nicer view of the Nile
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nomadic W
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the charm of history, the Nile view room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues.
Best regards,
Rafic Khairallah
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

What's the point I said my bit and you removed it because I commented on the bad behaviour of established guests over their pitiful whinging about all inclusive we'll erase again cos I will keep republishing love your hotel hate your snob clientele tell them straighT get a grip 21st millennia I was a prefers guest after a few weeks was glad of your all inclusive glad I did real people I could buy out every guest you had but was happy in me erase this you prove snobs win and I will report to trip advisor as I didn't give a bad review it was positive of the hotel just hostile to the unfriendly pathetic middle class pretending to be something special for a few days SUMMERY stayed July 11 till 25th great time fun people on whole food ok service fast staff great domestics exceptional just don a growl as you leave won't stop hassle but slows it slightly. And so reposting if you remove this again because fellow "posh" people object so annoyed going to use full name Scott Alexander James Redford Mcintosh Kensett-Hopkins oh yes it's not mr it's dr.

Room Tip: Rear view rooms of gardens great if a light sleeper and so pretty if like me you can sleep on a was...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank twoboyzlondon
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your second review and comments on TripAdvisor which we value, appreciate, and make sure we use the comments given to excel more in our services.
We surely did not remove any review posted on TripAdvisor, and we do not have the logistics to do so. We will inquire how come such reviews are not apparent, and we will get back to you when we receive an answer in this regard.
Looking forward to welcoming you back at the Sofitel Winter Palace in Luxor, the Cradle of Civilizations.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

First, thank you Mr. Hafik for your many kindnesses. A trip to Luxor without meeting Christoph really isn't an option, so thank you for getting his phone number to us. You make sure everyone has a grand time at your splendid hotel. Your staff are wonderful. You may be surprised to know that we have visited your hotel many times over a 30 year period, If you read this, Mr. Hafik, you may be amazed to know that we knew the "Commander" (Mr. Bistowi) and his father, too!

Luxor is on hard times. Many businesses are closed, and hotels have to do everything in their power to stay open. This means that wise management will look at all markets, both niche and mass, to stay in business. This will suit the vast majority of people.

The WP hotel is first rate. The staff are great. The rooms are splendid. The service and food for AI guests is perfect. The Winter Palace is in institution. Go and enjoy it.

Room Tip: Garden room will shelter you from noise and pollution.
3 Thank Ian207
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear guests, thank you for your stay at the Sofitel Winter Palace and your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed the great Old Palace. It was my pleasure to assist you. It is our aim, that all our guests at this wonderful hotel feel truly at home. Therefore, we are glad that you knew some of our old colleagues . We do our best to preserve the authenticity of the hotel and it looks like we are doing quite well. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to Luxor in the close future. Kind regards and thank you again for your feedback. Rafic KHAIRALLAH, General Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at the Winter Palace Gardens for one week. I traveled with my sister and had a twin room. We were astounded to be given a really big terrace with wonderful garden views. Due to the lack of tourists to Egypt, the hotel was pretty low on guests. Some who had been due to go to the annex, the Pavilion, were upgraded to this hotel. This turned out to be a double edged sword as three days into the holiday, the men were told they needed to wear trousers to dinner. (This was based on a complaint received from an established guest). After some negotiations, the hotel paid for them to have two pairs each, for free. We thought this was very fair, as the Pavillion did not impose any dress restrictions. The Winter Palace Gardens has a particular reputation and standard which is important to uphold.

This was the first year they offered all inclusive, as a way of trying to respond to the current economic climate. Naturally there were teething issues. For example, some restaurants were a la carte and required additional payments. Afternoon tea and going on the terrace to view the Nile in the evening was also supposed to incur additional costs. Some guests felt as if a two tier system was operating. My experience was that staff did their very best to help. This included them remembering what fresh juices we liked for breakfast and preparing this for us before we'd even gone over to them. They smiled, were courteous and also had a great sense of humor.
An acquaintance, her daughter and I were shown around the terrace one evening during whilst football was on. The manager insisted we had a drink with him. This lasted for over an hour.
We were really impressed with him speaking to other guests about the football, even though he had been very attentive to us. This demonstrated his ability to multi-task and make everyone feel special and valued. He was aware of all the guests and their location in the hotel.

I always found there was enough on the menu to enjoy. I loved the variety and had an Egyptian breakfast each morning. I know other people were not as impressed with the quality of some of the food. However I had no complaints.

We really enjoyed the swimming pools and the staff who attended them. My sister and I were also impressed with our chamber-man who made some stunning animals and other things with the towels. I would happily return to the Winter Palace Gardens. It's so near to all the significant landmarks. The gardens were peaceful and well tended. I'm not surprised they have been well rated by others on Trip Advisor. We made friends with Jimmy who runs a calesh (horse and cart) and Yassin of Cheops located directly below the hotel. Both arranged excellent trips for us at really great prices. This included hot air balloon trips, boat trips and a visit to the Valley of the Kings. A group of 6 of us spent the week together and had great experiences. We came back with stories galore; all good.

The layout of the hotel seems more suitable to older couples, or those wanting a romantic time in the garden. It is quite colonial in style, and very well attended.

Room Tip: 263 if you can get it. You'll get a terrace with sun loungers and parasol
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jashanti
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear guests,
Thank you very much for your stay at the Sofitel Winter Palace and your detailed feedback. We are glad that you have enjoyed the Garden view room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. We are looking forward to welcome you back to Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace.
Kind regards,
Rafic KHAIRALLAH, General Manager
London
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I reviewed this hotel 2 years ago, so wasn’t going to do so this time around except this time things were different…. this time we were all inclusive! I have never been AI before. The other AI guests were absolutely lovely and it was a pleasure to meet them, as well as (the vast majority of) regular guests.

The food was good and plentiful. Absolutely no complaints and far superior to how it was 2 years ago. You get a buffet breakfast, sit down lunch and a buffet dinner.

Bar service is from 11.00h - 23.00h by the pool. It does get hot in the evening and I know this was a problem for a few guests. The wine is ok and the G&T is really rather good, and the beers are cold. All the usual soft drinks are available.

As everyone else says, the hotel and grounds are beautiful to walk around and you will have many photo opportunities. The ambiance is excellent, as is the service.

You may get the impression from 3 very negative recent reviews that you are not allowed to have fun around the pool, and that the AI guests turned the place into a hybrid of Butlins and Club 18 - 30. This is definitely not the case.

During my last stay air beds and other inflatable toys were present, as they were on the 2 occasions that I stayed in the New Winter Palace. Egypt is a smokers paradise. People have always smoked around the pool and in the hotel itself. Frankly, if you object to smoking, don’t come to Egypt. I am a non-smoker myself, but hey - live and let live.

Also, it can get very noisy around the pool. On this trip, it was relatively quiet.

According to one of the negative reviewers, AI guests did not leave the hotel because they want to eat and drink as much as possible. Absolute tosh. We made 6 visits to 3 different bars, made 12 visits to 8 hotels, and had dinner out 4 times. Other AI guests also left the hotel.

One of the negative reviewers referred to an “invasion” of air beds and rubber rings! These are part of pool life everywhere. During our first week 2 children splashed around in a rubber ring for a couple of days. During the second week, 2 air beds were being used intermittently in a large and often empty pool by both AI and regular guests. I do think “invasion” is a bit of an overstatement, don’t you? I do not use air beds myself but it amused me to see other people having fun on them.

What has not been present around the pool, until now, is a distasteful, objectionable and completely unnecessary snobby attitude. I mean, what do you really think of people who object to others having fun while they are on vacation? I can only hold in contempt the review where a woman complains about someone walking up the stairs barefooted!!! Heaven forfend.

Room Tip: Although everyone hankers after a Nile view room, you are really better off at the back overlooking...
8 Thank Steve_in_the_City
Dear guests, thank you very much for your stay at the Sofitel Winter Palace and your detailed feedback. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. We are looking forward to welcome you back to Luxor. Kind regards, Rafic KHAIRALLAH, General Manager