“Pure elegance, grace and charm!!!”

Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Ireland
“Pure elegance, grace and charm!!!”
Reviewed 24 November 2009

I have just returned home to Ireland following a week long stay at the Sofitel Winter Palace in Luxor and how saddened am I to have had to leave such a magical place. For me the hotel had such grace and elegance. From the second I walked up the beautiful red carpet into the hotel I felt I was transported to another era. The ambience was so graceful and magical. I have to commend the wonderful softly spoken staff who were always at hand to offer the very best of service. It is very hard to find such nice people who genuinely enjoy their work and believe me I have had my experience of hotels over the years and to me the Winter Palace had a special charm about it. One that you cannot buy. Having dined on nearly every night of my stay at the 1886 and la corniche, for me to say the food was good would be an understatement!! It was FANTASTIC!! The vision of the chef is to be seen, I had such magical presentations of my favourite dishes and I have to commend the head chef in residence..I was lucky to be staying at the hotel while there was a night of entertainment in the magical gardens which, believe me have to be seen to appreciate how beautiful they are. How amazing to be consuming the wonderful aroma of fresh jasmine from the garden while listening over surround sound to Umm Kultoum, as well as fantastic mezza and song and dance..This for me was the icing on the cake. I wanted to experience the true culture of Luxor and this night for me was everything I had imagined was on offer in Egypt. This was an experience that will not be forgotten and will be treasured forever.. To all at Sofitel Winter Palace,staff and team at all levels thank you from the bottom of my heart and may you continue to have many many years of success at this wonderful location!!!! If you can get to Luxor get to the Winter Palace for memories that can only live in ones heart.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank droches

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Arabic first
KL
Reviewed 20 November 2009

Did a one-night stay in the Winter Palace Hotel in Sept 2008 and found the service and cleanliness of the room to be lacking for a hotel charging that level of price. That's why I packed off after staying only a night. The first thing I noticed was the bathtub, which was very dirty, and the hotel did not respond to my repeated call for them to clean up the dirts. The tv didn't work, and although they did send someone to fix it, I could only get grainy pictures on the screen. As for breakfast, the spread is very limited in term of selections.
However, the location of the hotel is great and the balcony view of the river is unbeatable. It is a beautiful hotel with great colonial feel to it. But one does not need to stay there to enjoy the atmosphere.
In short, if you are willing to trade in service and clealiness for great atmosphere and location, this may be the hotel for you. Else, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 17 November 2009

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Old Winter Palace while in Luxor this year. I can't say enough about this establishment. It is pricey, true. But it is worth the extra money, if you have the option to splurge. This is one of those rare five-star hotels without all the modern bling - it truly captures that old world charm with simple, elegant details. The large garden is lovely day and night, complete with a huge pool for hot afternoons. The front terrace that overlooks the Nile is a great place for sunset - and the rooms are large and comfortable. But the most impressive part was the staff - everyone was so friendly and helpful - and they obviously took great pride in their workplace. Especially Mr. Ahmed Oraby at night reception. If there is anything you need - chances are Ahmed can help you out. His quiet but professional manner was greatly appreciated amongst the noise and hustle of modern Luxor.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank soy_latte_togo
Nicosia
Reviewed 10 November 2009

The Winter Palace lives upto its name, a Palace indeed! Well maintained hotel with beauty spread all over. Lovely common use areas, beautiful rooms, magnificent gardens, and an excellent location. Nothing went wrong throughout my stay, from the minute a very polite and attentive hotel driver greeted me at the airport to my check out. I wish my travels take me back.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank CyprusTraveler27
Somerset England
Reviewed 5 November 2009

stayed here for 10 days in October and had one of our happiest holidays ever. staff are really courteous and efficient. a smile gets you everywhere in Egypt!! Room facing garden was a bit disappointingly narrow but we had a fabulous balcony prices are a bit steep but the hotel is simply beautiful .the pool area is wonderful and pool staff great.breakfast is good with a lovely selection.cant fault the place other than the small room.would not want to stay anywhere else in Luxor!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Twomiddleagers973
London
Reviewed 5 November 2009

Absolutely stunning hotel, a real treat. The pool was amazing and so relaxing. The people were wonderful, watch out for the tipping though.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KatieBW
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Typical for the region...claim 5*, but more like 3.5 by Euro/American standards. Rooms were dated, but good enough. We had a garden view. The grounds are gorgeous and the pool is fantastic. Service is a little slow and expensive. Breakfast bar was plentiful.
Hotel is right by the Luxor Temple and a quick walk to the souk.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family