All reviewshotel sharespool areacorniche restaurantmr nabillarge balconiesamazing gardenwest bankthe main hotelpool staffan oasisla cornichebreakfast restaurantturn down serviceroyal bargarden viewhoward carterfresh towels
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Quite my favourite place to stay in Luxor - a little oasis of calm amidst the hustle and bustle of the city - the gardens are wonderful and the swimming pool large and very tempting! The rooms are spacious and well equipped however on my last visit in March 2011 I was upgraded to the Winter Palace - have never before been able to afford to stay there and it was very pleasurable. I shall be returning in the first week of October (my 10th or 11th visit) and I know that I shall be greeted with charm and friendliness - the staff are wonderful! I would not wish to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank cultureseeker36
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Was upgraded to a Nile view room with balcony so gin and tonic watching the sunset. Every evening I had a different flower design left on my bed and the last one said 'good bye' and a plane a lovely gesture. Pool and gardens are beautiful and with so few people there it was like having a private paradise. Everyone was so helpful and friendly, it made my week extra special. Thank you. Very helpful at the Papyrus shop by the hotel can get you phone cards, taxis and anything you need from the town at a good price thanks guys.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Splash100
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We arrived at the hotel and were really pleasantly surprised to find that our room had been upgraded to a suite. The suite was, in a nutshell, fabulous and way beyond our wildest expectations. The hotel is just a short walk away from the famous Luxor Temple. Our only regret was that we had planned only a single night's stay in this palatial resort. Book online and book early, to avail some really awesome discounts off the published room tariffs.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Parthasarathy G
Mjouda, Reservations Manager at Pavillon Winter Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2011

Thank you very much for your comments posted on trip advisor

We are so happy that our Hotel and services met your satisfaction and look forward to welcoming you soon for a longer stay

Reviewed 31 May 2011

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Mjouda, Reservations Manager at Pavillon Winter Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2011

Reviewed 6 May 2011

This is a review of both the Sofitel Old Winter Palace and it's modern wing, the Pavillon, which share the same site and facilities.

My friend and I have just returned from yet another fabulous week in Luxor. We had booked the Pavillon, the modern wing of the Winter Palace. Sadly, due to lack of business, the Pavillon was closed so we were transferred to the Old Winter Palace. What a treat!! The room itself was beautifully furnished in traditional style befitting a palace, but the best part was the Nile view balcony. From here we saw the hot air balloons rise over the West Bank at dawn every day and every evening we watched the sunset with feluccas sailing by.The rest of the Old Winter Palace is very grand, with imposing lobby, sweeping staircase and elegant dining rooms, all furnished in colonial style. A talented pianist plays nightly in the Royal Bar, adding to the atmosphere.

Although I didn't stay there this time I also recommend the newer Pavillon wing, where I have stayed on six previous occasions. The rooms are spotless, spacious and have recently been tastefully refurbished in a more contemporary style. All rooms have large balconies overlooking the splendid pool area or the gardens.

These outside areas, which are used by both Palace and Pavillon guests really are the hotel's trump card and are quite unique in Luxor. The football pitch sized grounds are superb, with lush lawns, specimen trees, flowers everywhere and a wonderful fragrance filling the air after dark. The pool area is splendid with two linked pools, comfortable, well-spaced beds, plenty of umbrellas and such friendly and helpful staff.

There are five restaurants: Egyptian, Italian, buffet with various themes, and two more formal restaurants in the Winter Palace which welcome Pavillon guests. Food quality and service in all is excellent and prices are comparable with UK.

Of course the location is amazing - being right on the Corniche (Nile promenade), five minutes walk from Luxor Temple, the souk and the ferry across to the West Bank. The awe-inspiring Karnak Temple, Valley of the Kings, Queens, Nobles, Tombs of the Workers and the little visited gem of Medinet Habu are 30 minutes by taxi. A little further away North are Dendara (60 mins) and Abydos (2 hours) both fabulous and well worth the effort. South are Esna, Edfu, Kom Ombo and Aswan for the gorgeous Philae Temple and awesome Abu Simbel.

Don't be put off by the talk of hassle in the town. Most people are just trying to make a living, which is harder than ever now with fewer tourists around. If you're not interested in what they are offering, just smile, say firmly 'No shukran' and keep walking. They will soon get tired and look for another potential customer.

We feel very privileged to have stayed at the Old Winter Palace, especially in our wonderful room but the Pavillon offers more affordable luxury. Whichever you stay at, you will be assured of a warm welcome and excellent service from the managers and staff. If you are interested in Egyptian culture and history there is so much to see and learn and the hotels are a sanctuary to return to after the excitement and bustle of Luxor.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends