“Like the Garden of Eden”

Pavillon Winter Luxor
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reading
“Like the Garden of Eden”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We stayed at the Pavillon Winter Palace during the first week in February mainly to get some sun with a bit of luxury thrown in. We could not afford the actual Winter Palace and I must say we were more than happy with the Pavillon as the rooms are comfortable with a large balcony, the breakfast room is near and allows you to sit on the patio overlooking the gardens to enjoy breakfast in the sun whilst watching the hoppoe birds dig for thier breakfast. The pool is large and heated and the gardens are just perfect, with quiet areas in which to sit in peace and tranquility enjoying nurtured nature at its best. High tea in the Victoria room is a delight with its old world charm you can almost imagine Howard Carter to be sat at the next table.

Room Tip: In my opinion the higher the better
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Shirley S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I booked a basic garden room in the connecting hotel. However, when we arrived we discovered the hotel was empty due to the recent revolution so they upgraded us to the main hotel in a beautiful room with a balcony facing the river! It took our breath away. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was beyond words as it covers 2 full walls and a number of dessert tables. The pool was perfect for hot days, however, there are not many shade options in the pool (other than around the bar). Pool side service was delightful. The hotel grounds are amazing and full of lush green grass and flowers. This hotel is perfect location for walking to the waterfront or down the street to the Luxor Temple.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikeandLisha
Cairo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

The experience was amazing in general ... Excellent location were u can enjoy the luxury of the winter palace ... The rooms are excellent but with no Nile view ... There were some delay in the check in but in overall the experience is very very good.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Ahmed-allam79
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

I stayed at the Pavillion for eight days in October, the hotel room was very nice and comfortable with a big balcony which was a nice way to enjoy a morning cuppa or a nightcap. The grounds and the swimming pool area were really nice and the gardeners / swimming pool attendants were friendly and helpful.
I was looking forward to the free fruit skewers and cold towels by the pool but unfortunately I only had them once in eight days! The hotel staff were on the whole, professional, friendly and helpful.
I had a few issues with my room, the power went out a few mornings and nearly every evening, usually for about 10 minutes at a time but once for 30 mins. The staff were very apologetic and fixed it as soon as possible, I got the impression this happens a lot. It was usually a few rooms at a time and all the guests affected opened their doors to let light in or were stood in the hall waiting for maintenance to arrive. It was not a big deal except on one occasion when I was in the shower, believe me it's dark in the bathroom and showering in the dark was kind of eerie and dangerous.
There is free internet in the lobby (one computer) but a few greedy guests hogged it, so I had to ask the reception staff to intervene a couple of times, which they did.
The other issue I had was with the breakfast buffet, although there was a good variety on offer, the hot dishes were always lukewarm no matter what time I had breakfast. On my departure morning at 6am the food was stone cold and I had to ask for it to be heated. The breakfast staff in the restaurant were also slow when you asked for tea/coffee or things to be replenished and twice forgot to bring my tea.
I had lunch in the pool side restaurant a couple of times - pizza 40LE and sandwich with fries 55LE, the portions were large and tasty. The beer was 40LE a bottle but was never cold so I usually asked for some ice. The service in that restaurant was very good and meals were delivered fast.
I found it easy to bring in food and drinks from outside as nobody checked any of my bags in eight days and we had to use the OWP entrance. I bought super cheap soft drinks and snacks from Omars or from the shop just to the left of the hotel (which was a bit dearer) both cheaper than the hotel.
The other problem I had with the hotel was the caleche drivers and taxi drivers who “occupy” the street just outside the OWP, as soon as you appear at the top of the stairs you get hounded and you have to walk a fair way to be clear of them. Even the OWP shopkeepers said they hated them and they can't seem to keep them away from the hotel entrance. Luckily I was given the location of the staff entrance by another TA member (thanks eLaReF) and used that during the day.
I would stay there again if the price was right, mostly because of the location. I still prefer the Sonesta and Nile Palace but they were dearer than Pavillion this time round.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Nefertari
South Coast Brit
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Just returned form a week in this hotel, described as a carbuncle or similar in my guide book. We found it very pleasant, quiet and comfortable. Our room was large and clean,(I understand it has recently been refurbished) and the staff helpful and friendly and most of them spoke good English.
The nicest thing about this hotel is that it shares the garden, swimming pool - which is LOVELY- and outdoor facilities with the Winter Palace Hotel. At the moment the separate entrance to the Pavilion Hotel is closed off, so you enter through the Winter Palace.It gives one a great sense of grandeur to sweep up the carpeted marble steps of the Winter Palace into their spacious, cool and tiled entrance hall. O.K, you then do have to shimmy out of the back door to the Pavilion, but only through lovely gardens.
Breakfast is served in the Pavilion restuarant - very pleasant- but due to the paucity of visitors to Egypt at the moment, this is closed in the evening. However the Winter Palace gives a choice of 2 resturants, though one is a "special event" venue and very pricey. The other is quite good, serving a buffet for about £18.00.
Because of the shortage of tourists, the street vendors are almost intolerable in their insistance to buy, and this hotel prooved a wonderful oasis of calm in the hurly burly of Luxor.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SouthCoastBritRachel
Reading
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

We had nine nights of great comfort at the Pavilion Winter, a modern hotel which shares the gardens, pool and some facilities and staff with the Old Winter Palace. The Pavilion staff are tremendous - they could not do enough for us, even agreeing to put a sofa in our room, when I said we would like additional furniture - and the double room itself was newly decorated, tastefully furnished and very comfortable. We felt our bed and breakfast stay was excellent value, and we liked the location: it's 5 minutes from the Luxor Temple, and close to many shops, restaurants and to the Nile.

The hotel gardens merit particular mention: they are very large, quiet and beautifully maintained, which is a real treat given the location which is effectively in the town centre. But they do contain mosquitoes, which despite a daily fumigation seem to still find their way into your room in the evening. Buy some insecticide to enjoy a bite-free night.

Given the mosquito problem you probably won't keep your balcony doors open at night, but if you do you will also have no problem hearing the call to prayer at around 5:15 a.m. from the nearby mosques. Actually we enjoy the sound, but depending on where you are it can be loud.

One other word of caution: because of the shared arrangements with the Old Winter Palace, be careful which hotel you are booking. The Pavilion Winter is pretty new, while the Old Winter Palace is Old - it's a classically fronted building from the late 19th Century. The entrance to both is currently shared (via the Old Winter Palace steps and lobby), and you may think you are booking one when you are booking the other. We made this mistake, and the travel agency website we used confused the two hotels by using similar pictures.

Room Tip: When you emerge onto the Corniche street from the Old Winter Palace you will be besieged by taxi dri...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eurobloke17
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

The highlight of this hotel is its magnificient garden and wonderful heated swimming pool, that my daughter enjoyed immensely. Its truly an oasis of calm and peace. The room with garden view was spacious and comfortable. I enjoyed looking out at the garden from our balcony while listening to the numerous overlapping calls to prayer. The hotels location is also prime, as its walking distance to the temple and Nile. The breakfast included was adequate, and one can enjoy it outside on the terrace. Very civilized and all:), especially when next door to the Winter Palace. The food ordered by the pool and room service was pretty good, but we ordered only burgers and club sandwiches. We did order in a chocolate mousse which made us briefly ill. Thankfully, our daughter did not eat and did not get sick. Mostly we ate out where it was cheaper. Wifi access was free by the pool and in the the lobby of the Winter Palace. The common rooms of the Palace and the bar was quite lovely and have maintained its charm.
Now the bad news. If it would not be for the voice of reason of my spouse I would give this hotel one star. Namely, for the fact that the rooms were a hot box, infested with mosquitos that almost ate my daughter alive. I am surprised that none of the previous reviewers have mentioned this problem. I remember reading a review from last year, same time as we went that said the same thing, only to be negated by another reviewer who said there were no such problem. I am confused and do not understand, how this could be, unless it effects only certain areas of the hotel. The hotel's solution for the heat was to provide an electric fan. This is something you would expect from a hostel, not a so called jewel of Luxor. A simple screen door would solve this problem as it was cool at night and it would also keep the mosquitos away. The fumigation the hotel does is not enough.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family