We have visited the Pavilion rooms Winter Palace 8 times over the last 10 years or so, and never tire of the hotel. The rooms form a block away from the main road in the grounds of the Winter Palace Hotel. The Winter palace hotel itself commands a prime position in Luxor with a view over the Nile towards the Valley of the Kings. We have stayed in the Winter palace on 1 occasion, which came by way of an upgrade on one visit as the Pavilion rooms were closed for refurb. Both locations are extremely comfortable, with AC in the rooms which is a must. Sitting on the terrace with a beer as the sun goes down in the evening is fantastic.
The rooms are spacious and cleaned daily, and the room attendants are meticulous and always leave some for of towel art on your bed. The staff are very friendly and really out to make your stay a pleasure. There are 3 restaurants in the hotel offering Silver service in the 1886 or if alfresco is your thing then a comfortable table around the pool could be for you, the food is excellent with themed nights around the pool area offering traditional Egyptian as well as European food. The pool area is so peaceful with pool side service to keep you fed and watered.
The culture in Egypt is to tip, Egyptians are quite blunt and make it obvious they expect tips, from a bathroom attendant to the pool man, they thrive on tips. I found that tipping the staff in the first few days at the hotel only serves to up the attention. The location of the hotel in Luxor is great fro exploring. within yards of Luxor temple, a short Kalech or taxi drive away to the Luxor museum, and 25 mins to the west bank for Luxors open air museum of the Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens Hapshepsut, and so much more.
The city of Luxor has many restaurants if eating in the hotel is not for you, The Green Lantern & Puddle duck are well worth a visit, run by English offering good home cooking in comfortable surroundings.
The markets are a must, but be careful the stall owners will hand you goods and pressurise you to pay, hassle is the biggest draw back with the local shops, it can be quite oppressive, even down to venturing outside the hotel you find yourself under siege from the taxi drivers and Kalesh owners. Make sure before taking a taxi or Kalesh ride that you confirm how much it will cost, and confirm the currency too, they are known to say 5 pounds you think he is offering 5 Egyptian (or 50p in our language) they will then demand £5.00 English. Walking along the Corniche is great to take inn the culture, but be warned you are constantly pestered by local vendors Taxi drivers, shoe shine, Kalesh drivers. As a tip, if you find a good taxi driver, or Kalesh driver take their number and they too will look after you throughout your trip
I have a taxi driver friend I call on every year, he drops everything when I call and drives us around he will sit and wait if we go to the west bank, he take us to the bazaars and markets and we don't get pestered we can sit in a coffee shop and feel totally safe and pay Egyptian price for all our souvenirs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the banks of the River Nile in the midst of a tropical garden in the city centre, near the luxor Temple and other attractions such as the Karnak Temple, the Luxor museum, the International Convention Centre and the Mummification Museum. The Pavillon Winter Palace features three restaurants, two bars and a swimming pool. We apologize for any inconvenience that may occur due to the construction work taking place nearby the hotel as of June 14 th 2008 for a period of 6 months. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Prestigia, Booking.com, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your Pavillon Winter Luxor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pavillon Winter Luxor Hotel Luxor
- Pavillon Winter Hotel Luxor
- Luxor Pavillon Winter Hotel
- New Winter Palace Luxor
- Luxor Sofitel
- Winter Palace Hotel Luxor