“First Class”
Review of Eatabe Luxor Hotel

Eatabe Luxor Hotel
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This was our umpteenth (lost count) visit to the El Luxor. As usual we were met by Ali the Customer Services Office who greeted us as part of a large extended family and we were shown to our room after a very efficient check-in. Views over the Nile to exhilarate the most ardent Egyptophile. Poolside, Bar Staff and of course the Al la Carte staff were always respectful and eager to oblige. The room was cleaned to the highest standard every day with clean linen and fresh towels.
We employed a Caliche driver at a pre-determined price and went to visit the ACE animal shelter on the outskirts of Luxor. A great day out for about £10 and the Pony gets treated for free.
Egypt is desperate for visitors. The El Luxor is ideally situated for all the temples and tombs which can be arranged through the hotel or via a rep.
The poverty is very existent when you venture outside the hotel, as business in all aspects of life is poor and we spent more on one meal what a family of locals would spend in more than a month. A little back sheesh goes a long way.
Visit soon and enjoy the hospitality of the hotel, its fantastic staff and the ambience of the environment.

Room Tip: Nile views are stupendous
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HolidayChris
There are newer reviews for Eatabe Luxor Hotel

Reviewed 20 May 2013

This is a great hotel, set on the Nile in the heart of Luxor. Walking distance from many attractions including Luxor Temple, Museum of Mummification, Luxor Museum and a little further on the Karnak Temple complex.

Staff are friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and tidy, the perfect base to return to after sightseeing.

Highly recommended!

Unconnected to the hotel itself - If you insist on using a kalesh (I wouldn't recommend it) set the price before you leave, for the exact journey you plan to take and make sure the price is in Egyptian pounds and not English! I have never travelled in one, nor wish too. I have heard countless stories of people being ripped off. On this visit I spoke to a couple who had used the same driver on a couple of days for short trips, each day he would say "don't worry about the money, we'll sort it out another time". At the end of the final trip, he took them to a rather seedy looking cafe and demanded £800 (yes English), they managed to get him down to £300, but it should have cost around £30-£40 - be warned this isn't an urban myth!

Room Tip: A Nile view room is a must! If you want to eat out, I recommend the Oasis Palace - a minutes wal...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Lili1968
Reviewed 18 May 2013

This is the only hotel I stay in when visiting Luxor which I have been doing since 2001. Everyone makes me feel so welcome when I return, I feel that I am now part of their family.
On this visit was lucky enough to have been upgraded to a newly refurbished nile view room which was superb. Alla and Mohamed looked after my room on a daily basis and they both did a fantastic job keeping it clean, changing the bed linen and towels! Had great views of the Theban Hills and was lovely to sit out on the balcony first thing in the morning. Breakfast is plentiful to suit all tastes, and the staff are always around filling your tea/coffee cups up continuously. Ate at Le Champolion restaurant on occasions which now has a new varied menu, the food was freshly prepared, the presentation looked good and the taste was gorgeous. The pool guys (Zein, Ehab & Nuby) were always around cleaning the pool, sorting out towels etc, and Mohammed looked after me bringing me drinks as and when I required. The bar staff in the evening were great, very professional, friendly and good to have a laugh with. Aly the Assistant Guest Relations Manager was always on hand if I needed anything, and Mr Ayman the General Manager insisted that I went straight to him if I was unhappy about anything during my stay. The only downside was the lack of guests staying at the hotel, Luxor is really struggling for tourists since the Revolution and it's them that are paying the price. I have never felt nervous about going outside the hotel, I feel more safer walking the streets of Luxor than I do back home! Please if you are reading this contemplating a visit to Egypt, book at the El Luxor Hotel you will not be disappointed!!! I am counting down the weeks until I return in September 2013!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Stef075
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I have been lucky enough to go to this hotel many times and I have never had a bad experience. This time I was upgraded to a nile view room which had recently been redecorated and it made my holiday. The veiws were incredible and make you feel really special. The welcome on arrival was fantastic and we were quickly shown to our room. The hotel was fairly quiet when we were there so there was not problem getting a sunlounger by the pool. Room was brilliant with a big walk in shower, comfy beds and new flat screen tvs. Kettles and cups are in the new rooms but no tea or coffee but this can easily be sourced from the shop next door. It is a shame that more UK travel companies do not use this hotel as it is really good value for money and excellently located.

Room Tip: Nile view worth the extra money
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sungoddess79
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I was on a fairly tight budget holiday so I wasn't expecting a palace but was very pleasantly surprised.Got to my room 331 clean,flat screen TV walkin shower balcony with a view of the Valley of the Kings and Hatchepsutts Motuary Temple,perfect,Staff fantastic especially Ali customer manager,Clean pool the best in Luxor an ex pat said,the only downer on the holiday were the Caleche driver the horse drawn taxi,,,HASSLE all the time

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hoveman63
Aly M, Guest Relations Manager at Eatabe Luxor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Thankyou for your review about El Luxor Hotel, I am pleased you were happy with your stay here with us. Looking forward to seeing you here again. Aly

Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

due to unforeseen circumstances I found myself alone in Luxor. Staying at el Luxor hotel was a blessing. B&B excellent Staff were lovely. Just chilled around the pool. On 6th floor watched the world go by from my 'room with a view' so pleasant. The hassle on streets is appalling. Please be wary of the men out there they are skilled conmen - But I would return. East bank is nicer no hassle I would like to live there fancy a domed roof house they look beautiful.Many nice people. I love Egypt.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank bluebellknoll
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We stayed here for 7 days, the hotel and room was excellent, cleaned to a very high standard every day. The pool was fabby and we were always well taken care, ie. bed and towels for enjoying the sun.The staff were very helpful and friendly, but on a couple of occasions, we had to remind the staff at the pool for our change!!!!!!!

On stepping out of the hotel for a meal, we found that we were hijacked by the caleche drivers asking us to take a caleche. After politely saying no on several occasions, found that they did not take notice and followed and hassled us!!!! This made it very difficult for us to enjoy our time looking around the town as after you tell one caleche driver that you do not need them, another is there to take his place!!!!!! Just make sure that you and the caleche driver understand exactly the price you have agreed for ie, one or two people as they change can their mind once you have reached your hotel. We met other people in the hotel who had the same concerns about the caleche drivers!!!!!!

We went on this holiday with all intensions of chilling and the sun, but found the peace and quiet was inside our hotel. Apart from that, weather, food, hotel and our view on to the nile was amazing. On eating out we found it was cheap and the standards were superb. But if you are a wine drinker, we were surprised that the only bottle of wine be that white, red or rosy was £16 a bottle!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple