“rubbish”

Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“rubbish”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

What a load of rubbish the last comment is, we have just come back from egypt 3rd July 2013, Seven of us to be correct we have been going to this hotel for years we would not go any where else( having tried some others ) The staff have always been polite and would do anything for us. the pool is one of the best in Luxor, many people come to this one from other hotels so that speaks volumes, yes outside it is a bit hectic and has got worse over the last year but that is because these people are have no money, no food, no petrol, no electric,( and i think you would do the same as them to survive),We were there during the trouble and the hotel staff looked after us very well.made sure we were safe, but really there was no need as the people who were protesting were next door to the El Luxor and we were out side with them and they all spoke to us, shook our hands, and were very nice to us all, As for killing 2 flies and 2 mosquitos ( does the RSPCA know you killed them), Don't be silly you would kill them at home or would you get someone in to do it for you, I have always had tea and coffee in my room and a new kettle,what would you want with a directory there no one there to ring dah!

Room Tip: Ask Ali he will do his best for you
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank patricia d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Arabic first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Do Not Expect....
1. An iron nor ironing board
2. a clean bath nor shower
3. coffee maker nor complimentary tea nor water.
4. any face towels at all !
5. anyone to ask you if you want a drink nor bring you a towel while at the pool overlooking a shabby and very old apartment building....you must go to them.
6. it to be easy to order room service, phone not listed with directory and italian food not offered till after 6pm. No beverages listed on the menu available in room.
7. do not expect hotel employees to be happy to serve you.
8. nor the room to be bug free. I've killed 2 flies and 2 mosquitos during my stay.
9. no local phone books in room at all.
10. the channel guide to be correct. The station channels were not listed correctly and there was only 2 English channels.
11. Most of all do not expect to be left alone once you leave the hotel.....you will be hassled a lot! A tour guide is necessary to reduce the sheer amount of attacks by natives trying to sell you things or offer you taxi rides or horse/cart rides.

You can expect to be ripped off by someone while there, most likely by the taxi service with no meters, as I was coming from the airport to this great hotel. The price from the hotel to the airport should be no more than 50 egyptian pounds, but most likely they will give prices of 200-800 pounds.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank alicia j
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This was our umpteenth (lost count) visit to the El Luxor. As usual we were met by Ali the Customer Services Office who greeted us as part of a large extended family and we were shown to our room after a very efficient check-in. Views over the Nile to exhilarate the most ardent Egyptophile. Poolside, Bar Staff and of course the Al la Carte staff were always respectful and eager to oblige. The room was cleaned to the highest standard every day with clean linen and fresh towels.
We employed a Caliche driver at a pre-determined price and went to visit the ACE animal shelter on the outskirts of Luxor. A great day out for about £10 and the Pony gets treated for free.
Egypt is desperate for visitors. The El Luxor is ideally situated for all the temples and tombs which can be arranged through the hotel or via a rep.
The poverty is very existent when you venture outside the hotel, as business in all aspects of life is poor and we spent more on one meal what a family of locals would spend in more than a month. A little back sheesh goes a long way.
Visit soon and enjoy the hospitality of the hotel, its fantastic staff and the ambience of the environment.

Room Tip: Nile views are stupendous
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HolidayChris
London
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This is a great hotel, set on the Nile in the heart of Luxor. Walking distance from many attractions including Luxor Temple, Museum of Mummification, Luxor Museum and a little further on the Karnak Temple complex.

Staff are friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and tidy, the perfect base to return to after sightseeing.

Highly recommended!

Unconnected to the hotel itself - If you insist on using a kalesh (I wouldn't recommend it) set the price before you leave, for the exact journey you plan to take and make sure the price is in Egyptian pounds and not English! I have never travelled in one, nor wish too. I have heard countless stories of people being ripped off. On this visit I spoke to a couple who had used the same driver on a couple of days for short trips, each day he would say "don't worry about the money, we'll sort it out another time". At the end of the final trip, he took them to a rather seedy looking cafe and demanded £800 (yes English), they managed to get him down to £300, but it should have cost around £30-£40 - be warned this isn't an urban myth!

Room Tip: A Nile view room is a must! If you want to eat out, I recommend the Oasis Palace - a minutes wal...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Lili1968
Hull, England
Reviewed 18 May 2013

This is the only hotel I stay in when visiting Luxor which I have been doing since 2001. Everyone makes me feel so welcome when I return, I feel that I am now part of their family.
On this visit was lucky enough to have been upgraded to a newly refurbished nile view room which was superb. Alla and Mohamed looked after my room on a daily basis and they both did a fantastic job keeping it clean, changing the bed linen and towels! Had great views of the Theban Hills and was lovely to sit out on the balcony first thing in the morning. Breakfast is plentiful to suit all tastes, and the staff are always around filling your tea/coffee cups up continuously. Ate at Le Champolion restaurant on occasions which now has a new varied menu, the food was freshly prepared, the presentation looked good and the taste was gorgeous. The pool guys (Zein, Ehab & Nuby) were always around cleaning the pool, sorting out towels etc, and Mohammed looked after me bringing me drinks as and when I required. The bar staff in the evening were great, very professional, friendly and good to have a laugh with. Aly the Assistant Guest Relations Manager was always on hand if I needed anything, and Mr Ayman the General Manager insisted that I went straight to him if I was unhappy about anything during my stay. The only downside was the lack of guests staying at the hotel, Luxor is really struggling for tourists since the Revolution and it's them that are paying the price. I have never felt nervous about going outside the hotel, I feel more safer walking the streets of Luxor than I do back home! Please if you are reading this contemplating a visit to Egypt, book at the El Luxor Hotel you will not be disappointed!!! I am counting down the weeks until I return in September 2013!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Stef075
London
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I have been lucky enough to go to this hotel many times and I have never had a bad experience. This time I was upgraded to a nile view room which had recently been redecorated and it made my holiday. The veiws were incredible and make you feel really special. The welcome on arrival was fantastic and we were quickly shown to our room. The hotel was fairly quiet when we were there so there was not problem getting a sunlounger by the pool. Room was brilliant with a big walk in shower, comfy beds and new flat screen tvs. Kettles and cups are in the new rooms but no tea or coffee but this can easily be sourced from the shop next door. It is a shame that more UK travel companies do not use this hotel as it is really good value for money and excellently located.

Room Tip: Nile view worth the extra money
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sungoddess79
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I was on a fairly tight budget holiday so I wasn't expecting a palace but was very pleasantly surprised.Got to my room 331 clean,flat screen TV walkin shower balcony with a view of the Valley of the Kings and Hatchepsutts Motuary Temple,perfect,Staff fantastic especially Ali customer manager,Clean pool the best in Luxor an ex pat said,the only downer on the holiday were the Caleche driver the horse drawn taxi,,,HASSLE all the time

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hoveman63
Aly M, Guest Relations Manager at Eatabe Luxor Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thankyou for your review about El Luxor Hotel, I am pleased you were happy with your stay here with us. Looking forward to seeing you here again. Aly