“Perfect yet again!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 58 Hotels in Luxor
Northumberland
“Perfect yet again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed at the El Luxor for the 14th (maybe 15th) time in May of this year. What can I say; this is a hotel in Luxor that I would describe as faultless! Admittedly I have stayed here a lot but having stayed in most other hotels here over the years I would go nowhere else now.
There is not a better location to access the fabulous city of Luxor. The new rooms are SUPERB (I do so love the pool-side rooms but they were unavailable at time of writing due refurbishment); they are tasteful, spanking-new and modern but with the old Luxor feel and a very Egyptian style. Some would make an issue of the fact there were coffee/tea facilities but no kettle... that's Luxor! Ask for one and they'll get it. In fact ask and they'll get you anything. A Nile view room will give you a vista that hotels anywhere in the world (including the UK) would charge a fortune for... if you're polite they'll give you a Nile view at an excellent price (or no charge). Clean linen every day, clean towels as and when, room cleaned when YOU want it done... the rooms are great, I can't wait for the new pool-side rooms to be finished.
The pool at the El Luxor is also excellent. OK so it doesn't overlook the Nile as those of Sheraton, Karnak, Steinberger and St George... but it is secluded, quiet, surrounded (yes by some buildings; which I find charming) by lovely lawns and gardens. There's a nice little bar, lovely Italian-themed bistro and you are waited on perfectly by the VERY friendly staff.
There are a choice of restaurants at El Luxor; Champolion is cheap but good, the Italians is basic but very pleasant and the house restaurant (Le Flamboyant) is ok if you're half-board but is rarely used (there are too many fabulous local places/other hotel restaurants to warrant half-board). Breakfast in the "house" restaurant is excellent, basically it is standard for Luxor hotels; fabulous fresh eggs, vegetables, fruit, bread, pastries all with a stunning view of the Nile, Western Thebes and Hatchepsut's funerary temple.
The Sarab Bar is an old-fashioned, colonial-style, small affair but great for an evening drink before heading out to the souk or cooling-off with an afternoon cocktail after a hot, dusty day on the West Bank. It's quiet, air-conditioned and even has a (new) colonial style billiard table (for pool not billiards) . There is a small selection of shops inside the hotel but these are pricey in comparison to going outside.
Finally the staff. What can I say except faultless! Egyptians are wonderfully friendly people and even more so in Luxor. The staff in the El Luxor are fantastic; warm, friendly, welcoming, helpful and they love the fact they have guests. From the cleaners and gardeners to bar staff, waiters, pool/sunbed guy to the receptionists and bell-hops... they are all so keen to chat, help, offer advice and become your friends. Service, however, is not compromised... this hotel may be listed as 3 star but the staff make you feel so very welcome and at home that is worth so much more. Rarely, if ever, in all my travels have I felt so at home in a hotel. I have reviewed this hotel before but must mention the guest relations guy/concierge again; Aly is brilliant and will sort out any dramas you may have and will make you feel like you've stayed there forever.
Unfortunately the situation in Egypt at this time has dramatically reduced tourism in Luxor but the people there (and certainly in El Luxor) will make you feel welcome, safe and happy. I spoke at length with the hotel manager on my last visit and he, as are all the staff, are working hard to improve an already excellent hotel.
There are reviews which paint an unfavourable picture of this hotel due to the visitors' opinion of Luxor or Egypt in general. Luxor is not for everyone; it is Luxor. This is a wonderful hotel in a stunning, magical, wonderful city. I've stayed in almost every "top-end" hotel on the East Bank, some "low-end", a few £4 per night places and stayed overnight "nowhere" on the West Bank. There are great places, I love EVERYWHERE I've stayed in Luxor but I've stayed at the El Luxor (formerly Etap/Corallia/Mercure) more than any other, at every time of year and over many years now and I keep going back. I'm going again in a few weeks despite the Home Office warnings here in the UK.
If you're going to Luxor stay at the El Luxor!!!

Room Tip: Nile view is worth it but not essential, pool-side are VERY convenient but closed at time of writing...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Algeordius

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

My third visit to the El Luxor: the same smiling faces behind the reception desk...the greeting was "Welcome home!" and that was exactly how it felt. After a week staying in a filthy apartment on the West bank we were in dire need of a clean, cool environment in which we felt valued as guests. We had called in to say hello to friendly faces...and left with a reservation for the same room we'd enjoyed the previous year...after being given the key to take a quick reminder of that fabulous Nile view.
If only I could travel knowing that every hotel would offer the same level of comfort and value, with smiling faces every morning at breakfast, throughout the day by the pool and Italian restaurant, at any time of day at the bar and in the quirky Champollian restaurant...how happy I would be! This is a lovely hotel, and so beautifully kept despite the troubled times for Egypt. Luxor is suffering badly due to political uncertainty throughout the country and it's not surprising that the touts continue to give every visitor a hard time on leaving the safety of the hotel. But, do read up before setting off to this most amazing corner of the world and you can experience a thoroughly rewarding adventure. The El Luxor will provide you with a wonderful base, excellent service and the most heavenly swimming pool in which to relax in this bustling city.
My only complaint is that the coffee at breakfast really does not please...you can buy an excellent cappuccino from the bar but it would be great to have this pleasure with the breakfast buffet which offers fabulous a bread/bakery selection, fresh fruit, yoghurt and Arab fare as well as freshly-cooked eggs and other hot dishes.
Sitting looking out over the Nile will remain one of my most special travel memories out of very
many beautiful destinations....I look forward to returning to this hotel where I can feel like a
princess, knowing I'm safe and valued as a guest whilst welcomed as family.

Room Tip: Nile view room allows for fascinating insight into daily life as well as fabulous views across the r...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HypatiaRose
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

What a load of rubbish the last comment is, we have just come back from egypt 3rd July 2013, Seven of us to be correct we have been going to this hotel for years we would not go any where else( having tried some others ) The staff have always been polite and would do anything for us. the pool is one of the best in Luxor, many people come to this one from other hotels so that speaks volumes, yes outside it is a bit hectic and has got worse over the last year but that is because these people are have no money, no food, no petrol, no electric,( and i think you would do the same as them to survive),We were there during the trouble and the hotel staff looked after us very well.made sure we were safe, but really there was no need as the people who were protesting were next door to the El Luxor and we were out side with them and they all spoke to us, shook our hands, and were very nice to us all, As for killing 2 flies and 2 mosquitos ( does the RSPCA know you killed them), Don't be silly you would kill them at home or would you get someone in to do it for you, I have always had tea and coffee in my room and a new kettle,what would you want with a directory there no one there to ring dah!

Room Tip: Ask Ali he will do his best for you
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank patricia d
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Do Not Expect....
1. An iron nor ironing board
2. a clean bath nor shower
3. coffee maker nor complimentary tea nor water.
4. any face towels at all !
5. anyone to ask you if you want a drink nor bring you a towel while at the pool overlooking a shabby and very old apartment building....you must go to them.
6. it to be easy to order room service, phone not listed with directory and italian food not offered till after 6pm. No beverages listed on the menu available in room.
7. do not expect hotel employees to be happy to serve you.
8. nor the room to be bug free. I've killed 2 flies and 2 mosquitos during my stay.
9. no local phone books in room at all.
10. the channel guide to be correct. The station channels were not listed correctly and there was only 2 English channels.
11. Most of all do not expect to be left alone once you leave the hotel.....you will be hassled a lot! A tour guide is necessary to reduce the sheer amount of attacks by natives trying to sell you things or offer you taxi rides or horse/cart rides.

You can expect to be ripped off by someone while there, most likely by the taxi service with no meters, as I was coming from the airport to this great hotel. The price from the hotel to the airport should be no more than 50 egyptian pounds, but most likely they will give prices of 200-800 pounds.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank alicia j
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

This was our umpteenth (lost count) visit to the El Luxor. As usual we were met by Ali the Customer Services Office who greeted us as part of a large extended family and we were shown to our room after a very efficient check-in. Views over the Nile to exhilarate the most ardent Egyptophile. Poolside, Bar Staff and of course the Al la Carte staff were always respectful and eager to oblige. The room was cleaned to the highest standard every day with clean linen and fresh towels.
We employed a Caliche driver at a pre-determined price and went to visit the ACE animal shelter on the outskirts of Luxor. A great day out for about £10 and the Pony gets treated for free.
Egypt is desperate for visitors. The El Luxor is ideally situated for all the temples and tombs which can be arranged through the hotel or via a rep.
The poverty is very existent when you venture outside the hotel, as business in all aspects of life is poor and we spent more on one meal what a family of locals would spend in more than a month. A little back sheesh goes a long way.
Visit soon and enjoy the hospitality of the hotel, its fantastic staff and the ambience of the environment.

Room Tip: Nile views are stupendous
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HolidayChris
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

This is a great hotel, set on the Nile in the heart of Luxor. Walking distance from many attractions including Luxor Temple, Museum of Mummification, Luxor Museum and a little further on the Karnak Temple complex.

Staff are friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and tidy, the perfect base to return to after sightseeing.

Highly recommended!

Unconnected to the hotel itself - If you insist on using a kalesh (I wouldn't recommend it) set the price before you leave, for the exact journey you plan to take and make sure the price is in Egyptian pounds and not English! I have never travelled in one, nor wish too. I have heard countless stories of people being ripped off. On this visit I spoke to a couple who had used the same driver on a couple of days for short trips, each day he would say "don't worry about the money, we'll sort it out another time". At the end of the final trip, he took them to a rather seedy looking cafe and demanded £800 (yes English), they managed to get him down to £300, but it should have cost around £30-£40 - be warned this isn't an urban myth!

Room Tip: A Nile view room is a must! If you want to eat out, I recommend the Oasis Palace - a minutes wal...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Lili1968
Hull, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

This is the only hotel I stay in when visiting Luxor which I have been doing since 2001. Everyone makes me feel so welcome when I return, I feel that I am now part of their family.
On this visit was lucky enough to have been upgraded to a newly refurbished nile view room which was superb. Alla and Mohamed looked after my room on a daily basis and they both did a fantastic job keeping it clean, changing the bed linen and towels! Had great views of the Theban Hills and was lovely to sit out on the balcony first thing in the morning. Breakfast is plentiful to suit all tastes, and the staff are always around filling your tea/coffee cups up continuously. Ate at Le Champolion restaurant on occasions which now has a new varied menu, the food was freshly prepared, the presentation looked good and the taste was gorgeous. The pool guys (Zein, Ehab & Nuby) were always around cleaning the pool, sorting out towels etc, and Mohammed looked after me bringing me drinks as and when I required. The bar staff in the evening were great, very professional, friendly and good to have a laugh with. Aly the Assistant Guest Relations Manager was always on hand if I needed anything, and Mr Ayman the General Manager insisted that I went straight to him if I was unhappy about anything during my stay. The only downside was the lack of guests staying at the hotel, Luxor is really struggling for tourists since the Revolution and it's them that are paying the price. I have never felt nervous about going outside the hotel, I feel more safer walking the streets of Luxor than I do back home! Please if you are reading this contemplating a visit to Egypt, book at the El Luxor Hotel you will not be disappointed!!! I am counting down the weeks until I return in September 2013!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends