“HOTEL FABULOUS / LUXOR IS SAFE!!!!!”
Review of Eatabe Luxor Hotel

Eatabe Luxor Hotel
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Hull, England
“HOTEL FABULOUS / LUXOR IS SAFE!!!!!”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Have lost count of how many times I have stayed at this hotel since 2001, each time I visit it is just as good as the previous times! Even though all Charter flights have been cancelled from the UK, managed to fly in on Egyptair via Cairo. The staff were so happy to see me return as they weren't sure I would be able to get there.
Checked in just before midnight with a welcome drink of karkadeh waiting for me. Had a nile view room in the old block (my normal room actually), as the new block was closed. Wonderful views of the Nile especially at sunset, it is absolutely stunning! Room was spotless, bedding & towels changed every morning whilst I was at breakfast. Breakfast was plentiful. The boys where out each morning cleaning the pool ready for us all to swim. The staff at the poolside bar were wonderful always keeping me supplied with cold drinks throughout the day. Ate in the Champolion Coffee Shop some nights when I didn't want to go out which was lovely, food freshly cooked and piping hot when served.
Out and about in Luxor I never encountered any problems, felt totally safe, especially since the army where positioned at numerous points around the city. The people of Luxor are really struggling to survive due to the lack of tourists but they always have a smile for you - a smile costs nothing! I pray that the tourists DO come back as soon as possible for these hardworking people who just want to earn a living to be able to look after their families.

Room Tip: Get a Nile view room for stunning views across the Nile especially at sunset.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank Stef075

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I do not know who doesnt like this hotel?

We spent two nights there.
The staff are very friendly and helpfull.
The room was comfortable, and clear, just like the hotel.
We had a Nile side room, so the view is amazing
The breakfast is perfect. The garden and the pool is also very nice.
Good point to start visit the city.

We got a great offer, so the cost is free for this value.

What can I say? I can just reccomend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lzsolt
Luxor, Egypt
Reviewed 25 August 2013

actually i'm a backpacker traveller from luxor,but i live in cairo now . i visited many countries around the world.and personal personal opinion about el luxor hotel :very very nice location,just a 20 minutes from Luxor airport.the hote is very clean,Very quiet and you feel comfortable and Recreation there,Room cleaned daily via room service.anyway i think this hotel one of the best hotel in luxor.but some staff need to take training courses in: the art of dealing with guests, but not all staff.
this is my personal opinion, quite frankly

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank punisherbb
Traralgon, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The el Luxor is a large hotel that is very comfortable with lots of facilities. The swimming pool and surrounds are lovely. The rooms are spacious and comfortable but the air conditioning in our room could have worked better. They seem to turn it off in the early hours of the morning so it did get uncomfortable to sleep. There were not too many tourists travelling so some of the other restaurant options the hotel offers were closed.

Room Tip: Higher floors get great views of the Nile
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ron W
Northumberland
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed at the El Luxor for the 14th (maybe 15th) time in May of this year. What can I say; this is a hotel in Luxor that I would describe as faultless! Admittedly I have stayed here a lot but having stayed in most other hotels here over the years I would go nowhere else now.
There is not a better location to access the fabulous city of Luxor. The new rooms are SUPERB (I do so love the pool-side rooms but they were unavailable at time of writing due refurbishment); they are tasteful, spanking-new and modern but with the old Luxor feel and a very Egyptian style. Some would make an issue of the fact there were coffee/tea facilities but no kettle... that's Luxor! Ask for one and they'll get it. In fact ask and they'll get you anything. A Nile view room will give you a vista that hotels anywhere in the world (including the UK) would charge a fortune for... if you're polite they'll give you a Nile view at an excellent price (or no charge). Clean linen every day, clean towels as and when, room cleaned when YOU want it done... the rooms are great, I can't wait for the new pool-side rooms to be finished.
The pool at the El Luxor is also excellent. OK so it doesn't overlook the Nile as those of Sheraton, Karnak, Steinberger and St George... but it is secluded, quiet, surrounded (yes by some buildings; which I find charming) by lovely lawns and gardens. There's a nice little bar, lovely Italian-themed bistro and you are waited on perfectly by the VERY friendly staff.
There are a choice of restaurants at El Luxor; Champolion is cheap but good, the Italians is basic but very pleasant and the house restaurant (Le Flamboyant) is ok if you're half-board but is rarely used (there are too many fabulous local places/other hotel restaurants to warrant half-board). Breakfast in the "house" restaurant is excellent, basically it is standard for Luxor hotels; fabulous fresh eggs, vegetables, fruit, bread, pastries all with a stunning view of the Nile, Western Thebes and Hatchepsut's funerary temple.
The Sarab Bar is an old-fashioned, colonial-style, small affair but great for an evening drink before heading out to the souk or cooling-off with an afternoon cocktail after a hot, dusty day on the West Bank. It's quiet, air-conditioned and even has a (new) colonial style billiard table (for pool not billiards) . There is a small selection of shops inside the hotel but these are pricey in comparison to going outside.
Finally the staff. What can I say except faultless! Egyptians are wonderfully friendly people and even more so in Luxor. The staff in the El Luxor are fantastic; warm, friendly, welcoming, helpful and they love the fact they have guests. From the cleaners and gardeners to bar staff, waiters, pool/sunbed guy to the receptionists and bell-hops... they are all so keen to chat, help, offer advice and become your friends. Service, however, is not compromised... this hotel may be listed as 3 star but the staff make you feel so very welcome and at home that is worth so much more. Rarely, if ever, in all my travels have I felt so at home in a hotel. I have reviewed this hotel before but must mention the guest relations guy/concierge again; Aly is brilliant and will sort out any dramas you may have and will make you feel like you've stayed there forever.
Unfortunately the situation in Egypt at this time has dramatically reduced tourism in Luxor but the people there (and certainly in El Luxor) will make you feel welcome, safe and happy. I spoke at length with the hotel manager on my last visit and he, as are all the staff, are working hard to improve an already excellent hotel.
There are reviews which paint an unfavourable picture of this hotel due to the visitors' opinion of Luxor or Egypt in general. Luxor is not for everyone; it is Luxor. This is a wonderful hotel in a stunning, magical, wonderful city. I've stayed in almost every "top-end" hotel on the East Bank, some "low-end", a few £4 per night places and stayed overnight "nowhere" on the West Bank. There are great places, I love EVERYWHERE I've stayed in Luxor but I've stayed at the El Luxor (formerly Etap/Corallia/Mercure) more than any other, at every time of year and over many years now and I keep going back. I'm going again in a few weeks despite the Home Office warnings here in the UK.
If you're going to Luxor stay at the El Luxor!!!

Room Tip: Nile view is worth it but not essential, pool-side are VERY convenient but closed at time of writing...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Algeordius
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My third visit to the El Luxor: the same smiling faces behind the reception desk...the greeting was "Welcome home!" and that was exactly how it felt. After a week staying in a filthy apartment on the West bank we were in dire need of a clean, cool environment in which we felt valued as guests. We had called in to say hello to friendly faces...and left with a reservation for the same room we'd enjoyed the previous year...after being given the key to take a quick reminder of that fabulous Nile view.
If only I could travel knowing that every hotel would offer the same level of comfort and value, with smiling faces every morning at breakfast, throughout the day by the pool and Italian restaurant, at any time of day at the bar and in the quirky Champollian restaurant...how happy I would be! This is a lovely hotel, and so beautifully kept despite the troubled times for Egypt. Luxor is suffering badly due to political uncertainty throughout the country and it's not surprising that the touts continue to give every visitor a hard time on leaving the safety of the hotel. But, do read up before setting off to this most amazing corner of the world and you can experience a thoroughly rewarding adventure. The El Luxor will provide you with a wonderful base, excellent service and the most heavenly swimming pool in which to relax in this bustling city.
My only complaint is that the coffee at breakfast really does not please...you can buy an excellent cappuccino from the bar but it would be great to have this pleasure with the breakfast buffet which offers fabulous a bread/bakery selection, fresh fruit, yoghurt and Arab fare as well as freshly-cooked eggs and other hot dishes.
Sitting looking out over the Nile will remain one of my most special travel memories out of very
many beautiful destinations....I look forward to returning to this hotel where I can feel like a
princess, knowing I'm safe and valued as a guest whilst welcomed as family.

Room Tip: Nile view room allows for fascinating insight into daily life as well as fabulous views across the r...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HypatiaRose
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

What a load of rubbish the last comment is, we have just come back from egypt 3rd July 2013, Seven of us to be correct we have been going to this hotel for years we would not go any where else( having tried some others ) The staff have always been polite and would do anything for us. the pool is one of the best in Luxor, many people come to this one from other hotels so that speaks volumes, yes outside it is a bit hectic and has got worse over the last year but that is because these people are have no money, no food, no petrol, no electric,( and i think you would do the same as them to survive),We were there during the trouble and the hotel staff looked after us very well.made sure we were safe, but really there was no need as the people who were protesting were next door to the El Luxor and we were out side with them and they all spoke to us, shook our hands, and were very nice to us all, As for killing 2 flies and 2 mosquitos ( does the RSPCA know you killed them), Don't be silly you would kill them at home or would you get someone in to do it for you, I have always had tea and coffee in my room and a new kettle,what would you want with a directory there no one there to ring dah!

Room Tip: Ask Ali he will do his best for you
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple