“A perfect place to stay”

Mercure Luxor Karnak
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A perfect place to stay”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful two weeks both relaxing by the pool, and visiting the valleys of the Kings and Queens and the temples of Karnak, Luxor and Hatchepsut. The service in the hotel was exemplary, always helpful and friendly, making us feel very welcome and as though we were regular visitors. The grounds surrounding the hotel are immaculate and peaceful with great views of the Nile.Would recommend this Hotel to anyone thinking of visiting Luxor.

3 Thank David P
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this review, 9 June 2012
Dear Guest,

We are very delighted to review your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Luxor Karnak. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Gamal Hassan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I have been to this hotel 4 times, three with my daughter and the fourth with her and my husband. I love it there, I am recognised and welcomed back, and when we took my husband he was greeted as an old friend too!
The security of the hotel is good, I know that my daughter is safe and cannot leave the complex. The staff are fabulous, courteous and can't do enough for you.
The food is always good, and there is always something to suit everyone's pallet - I am fussy but I never go hungry - and you have to have a freshly made-to-order omellette or pancake for breakfast!
I hate leaving the hotel, and always, always want to go back.

Room Tip: ground floor is always a good choice as the balcony opens right onto gardens.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Delibells
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
Dear Guest,

As a valuable repeater guest, I would like to seize this opportunity to thank you for choosing Sofitel Karnak-Luxor another time to spend your recent holiday . We are greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests in the tripadvisor site and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of standards.

Once again many thanks for your comments, we are looking forward to welcoming you and your family in September 2012, assuring that your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Yeovil, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Myself and my Wife went to Luxor in October 2011. We are fans of the sofitel hotel chain and have stayed at all their hotels in all over the world. We decided to stay at this hotel because the hotel is situated outside of Luxor and we did not want the hustle and bustle of local life this time while staying in Egypt. The Hotel is situated outside of Luxor itself and is near the airport. It is well away from any other hotels and shops. The hotel puts on a free shuttle boats and bus twice a day that travels into Luxor ( opposite the Winter Palace). The passes are easily available from the activity counter situated in the gardens by the pool. The bedrooms are cosy, alittle tired but very clean. Our bedroom consisted of kingsize bed, bathroom, living area, mini bar and fridge and balcony and other normal bedroom suite furniture. The bedrooms are furnished and decorated simple nubian theme, and the hotel itself concists of nubian style bungalows with ground and first floor bedrooms. The ground are very lush and well kept. There is a large swimming pool with a swim up bar and a childs pool ,there are various table games like table tennis. There are several activities that are held in the grounds ie water volley ball. There are 3 restarants within the hotel grounds, a cafe by the pool, the moorish cafe inside by reception and the opet restarant. The Moorish cafe serves the typical beef burger and drinks while the opet serves themed buffet meals. There are 2 bars with in the grounds, Carters bar in the hotel and another bar in the garden over looking the nile.
The food was standard, breakfast food again consists of buffet, everything continental, ie pastries, cereals, cheese, yougurt, they also provided hot food ie eggs, beans, toast and sausages. The service during breakfast was fantastic, the staff getting anything you wanted, always supplying endless coffee! The Moorsish Cafe food was superb could not fault anything and again the staff were fantastic.Personally for me it made my trip to meet up with managers from The winter palace hotel that now work in the Karnak because the staff are very customer sevice based. There is free wi fi for the interenet in the hotel which is situated within the lobby area and Carters bar. Within the hotel is a clothes shop, gift shop and jewellery shop and also a currency counter. It is better to change your currency when you reach the hotel not while you are in your country because your currency is stronger over in Egypt. In UK the egyptian pound was 7.49 to our pound but in egypt it was nearly 9 to our pound. To get a taxi to various places within Luxor was 250 Ep .

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Stuart R
Dear Guest,

We are very much appreciated your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Luxor Karnak. It is always a pleasure to receive your feedback.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2012

The Sofitel is situated in lovely landscaped grounds on the banks of the River Nile. This is one of the main plus points of this hotel, the vast grounds, large pool and as well as sun loungers situated by the pool they are also placed in the lawned area where you can spend time simply soaking up the sun looking out over the Nile - truly relaxing.

The staff at this hotel are also extremely helpful and friendly and go a long way to make you feel welcome. I only had breakfast during my previous stay in April which was fine. I am returning again for a few days in June but this time on their extremely good value all inclusive rate. The fact that I am coming back for a few days rest and relaxation after only 2 months hopefully indicates the type of hotel it is!

The rooms were very quiet and in the evenings the hotel took on an air of calm - it's not the place to come if you are looking for lively nightlife but if you want a relaxing stay in a 5 star hotel at great prices in the fascinating city of Luxor then this is the place. Taxis are situated outside the hotel and the front desk will call one for you. It is about 10 minutes ride into teh centre of Luxor and they operate fixed prices (there is a sign on the front desk) As with most things in Egypt, very reasonable prices.

I took a hot air balloon excursion which meant a 4.30am pick up from he hotel but well worth it. There is a desk within the hotel and the service and price were again excellent. Speaking with other people they all paid a lot more for the same thing so I am very happy to recommend the company based in the hotel, They picked you up and brought you back to the hotel - in time for breakfast then a few hours back in bed in my case!

Finally I would recommend the little shop that is just outside the main entrance. Turn left out of the gate and pop and see "Big Daddy" and Ash. I met them on my first day when I took a little wander out of the hotel (literally less than a minute left out of the main gate) I got chatting with them, was invited to stay for a cup of tea and we then arranged for a car, a driver and a tour guide to take me to the Valley of the Kings the following afternoon - all this for less than £30. Ash the car driver was brilliant as was my guide and so nice having a personal guide rather than the large groups you see being herded from one sight to the next. I could spend as long as I wanted at each site and neither was there any pressure for tehe obligatory stop at the Handicraft factory! These guys are honest Egyptians trying to make a living and I would highly recommend them - I shall be using them again next week.

All in all a great hotel at a great price!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank SJT999
Dear Guest,

Let me seize this opportunity to thank you for your comments concerning your recent visit at Sofitel Karnak-Luxor spending your holiday and for taking time to put your feed back in the tripadvisor site. We are greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of standards.

Many thanks for your positive comments, it is only through valuable feedback received from our valued guests, such as your good self that we are able to maintain and further improve the quality of our services.

We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your overall stay with us and that we have met your expectations. We place great value on your continued relationship with Accor Hotels.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again at Sofitel Karnak-Luxor or any of Accor Hotels Worldwide.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I recently stayed with them and it was amazing. The staff were extremely nice and friendly and the view was just to die for. Everyone was so pleasant and I really enjoyed myself. I can't emphasis enough on how beautiful this hotel is. It's very clean and a joy to stay in. However the overall service is not up to a 5* hotel standard. If you want a prompt service you may be left a little frustrated with the staff. The main restaurant was quite good. The staff there especially Al'Terry and Mohammad were great. The manager was very pleasant and once you asked for something it was brought to you as soon as. The same service was given in the bar by the wonderful, smiley Mahmoud but the reception and elsewhere lacked discipline. The pool side restaurant was particularly bad. On number of occasions we ordered food that was not brought or if the waiters took their time to come to you. But even despite the less than perfect service, I still recommend this hotel to people. Go, see it, enjoy it and have fun.

Room Tip: If you get a room with a small balcony you can change it. That's what I did. Also try not to get...
Dear Guest,

We are very delighted to review your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Luxor Karnak. It is always a pleasure to receive client's feedback.

Hell Gate, Florida, United States
Reviewed 24 May 2012

just got back from a week at this hotel and have had a wonderful time ,wonderful gardens and pool , staff are lovley and very helpful
The room are clean and comfortable although bathrooms are a bit tierd and could do with some loving care .
The housekeeps who cleaned the room were great and always left us a towel display on the bed every day which was lovley :-)
Food was cold at the start of the holiday and not much choice but we know from travelling that buffet food is usually like that .
Would totally recommend this hotel to anyone

1 Thank Kelly U
Dear Guest,

We would like to seize this opportunity to thank you for your valuable comments and assuring that we will keep maintaining our quality of service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again in the nearest future at your 02nd home Sofitel Karnak-Luxor.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a two week holiday in Egypt. We spent 4 nights at the Sofitel Karnak at the midpoint of our holiday. We had contacted the hotel before we left England and had requested a Nile view room, which we did receive as promised. The room was a lovely size and clean. The en-suite bathroom was a little tired but perfectly useable. However we were often short on tissues or toilet roll which although not a disaster, was annoying, especially in a country so famed for tummy upsets! The fridge in the room was noisy so we did switch that off at night. The grounds of the hotel are stunning and the reception, Carters Bar and the Opet restaurant are all very striking. We had taken the all inclusive option which in our opinion was well worth doing even though we were out all day every day: the lunch boxes that were prepared for us were great and even a couple of drinks in the evening made this package work out as good value. Breakfast was a little limited but fine, the evening buffet was great quality but some of the main courses were cold by the time we ate at 8pm. The soup every night was lovely and the desserts were yummy. The music in Carters Bar supplied by Fadel was fantastic and we all enjoyed a singsong and dance. The staff throughout the resort were all friendly and helpful, the best we encountered over the course of our travels.

We had a great time at the Sofitel and would certainly return when we visit Egypt again in the future.

3 Thank Becky F