“Total satisfaction”

Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Lancashire
“Total satisfaction”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I have just returned from yet another superb holiday at Sofitel Karnak. Unfortunately I suffered an accident on arrival at the airport necessitating several stitches in my leg. This was attended to at the airport and I duly arrived at the hotel somewhat late. I was greeted with concern for my well being but also with genuine welcome and friendliness. As always I have been treated with the utmost kindness, care and respect. Because of my injury everyone - from the top members to the bottom members of the staff - went out of their way to help me and make my stay as happy as it could be. My holiday could have been a disaster but thanks to the wonderful staff at Sofitel Karnak I managed to still have a great holiday (even though it was very hot and I wasn't able to swim in the lovely pool). The doctor at the hotel attended to me every day - sometimes twice a day when necessary - and was kind and considerate. In previous reviews I have been reluctant to name names, however, this time there are some staff who deserve special mention. First being Ahmed Mostafa for his help and consideration. The whole lifeguard team deserve praise for the way they help not only me, but everyone, to have a relaxed, comfortable stay by the pool. Thanks to Amer at the pool bar, Radwan and Hussein in Moorish cafe and last but certainly not least is Ebeed a great cleaner who cheered me up with fresh flowers most days. All in all I have had a great, albeit different, holiday and look forward to a quick recovery so I can return. One last thing any woman travelling alone and wishing to visit Luxor please try the Sofitel Karnak - you will be safe.

5 Thank Irenee66
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this review, 21 April 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very much appreciated to review your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Luxor Karnak. It is always a pleasure to receive client’s feedback.

Gamal Hassan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We've just returned from 2 weeks all inclusive at the Sofitel. We're a couple in our mid 30's who like a night out but primarily went to relax. If you're reading this as you're about to embark then lucky you! The hotel is fabulous. Beautiful grounds, lovely staff, great pool, good drinks (large measures of spirits and the local Stella beer is a nice drop), can't go wrong really.

Few little hints - not once during our stay did any of the staff ask for or seem to be expecting a tip. We gave a little as we went and although this resulted in a few extra favours here and there, we would have still been served/waited on/smiled at and given good service with or without greasing palms. This was a relief as I was freaking myself out about what I should pay who before we left. Special mentions for Mohammed and Hassan in Carters Bar, Terry who served at lunchtime and Bahdri our waiter, all of whom couldn't do enough for us.

If you get off the shuttle boat in Luxor, you'll be descended on initially by people selling you things etc - don't freak out about it, just keep on walking if you don't want to buy anything and they'll soon thin out.

There is a mad little bar called Genesis about a mile away from Sofitel. It's well worth a look in as entertainment at night is a bit thin on the ground. Genesis have a resident camel, 2 ostriches, 2 dogs a Horse and a desert eagle, all of whom the owner will be happy to introduce you to. They also do a cracking 2 course Sunday dinner for £7.50. We had a couple of cracking nights there.

Luxor is fascinating, just go with the flow - the Egyptians are really good natured folk. Thanks to all the staff and guests who gave us such a cracking holiday - I could bang on about it all night but you should always try to have your own adventures and I don't want to spoil it for anybody. No complaints from us though and we would return in a heartbeat. The only downside was that somebody kept eating all the brocolli at dinner time! ;-)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank IaninBolton
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Mercure Luxor Karnak, responded to this review, 20 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Let me seize this opportunity to thank you for your comments concerning your recent visit at Sofitel Karnak-Luxor spending your holiday and for taking time to put your feed back in the tripadvisor site. We are greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of standards.

Many thanks for your positive comments, it is only through valuable feedback received from our valued guests, such as your good self that we are able to maintain and further improve the quality of our services.

We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your overall stay with us and that we have met your expectations. We place great value on your continued relationship with Accor Hotels.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again at Sofitel Karnak-Luxor or any of Accor Hotels Worldwide.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2013

First class, it is the second time we have stayed in this hotel and we were not dissapointed, just far enough out of town to be safe, and behind gated and guarded grounds, right on the banks of the Nile everything is good about this hotel, and I have no problems in recomending. The management and staff have got it right, nothing seems to be a trouble to them. The pool and grounds are very well managed, and tended, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank enginman
Dear Guest,

We would like to seize this opportunity to thank you for your valuable comments and assuring that we will keep maintaining our quality of service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again in the nearest future at your 02nd home Sofitel Karnak-Luxor.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 26 March 2013

At 61 years of age this was my first package holiday. A special Thos. Cook offer.

Handicapped by Rheumatoid arthritis, I (rashly some felt) set off alone.

All fears and concerns were swept away on arrival. I settled down to a week of perfect rest and recuperation.

If I had to say what was best. Two things spring to mind, the location and the people.

Staff couldn't have been nicer. There was a team spirit. I felt safe, confident, happy. Someone was on hand at all times to help out or to inform.

Guests spanned all generations and walks of life. It turns out many were regulars at the hotel and commended the place highly - one guest was on her 11th stay!

Limited in my movements I didn't get to see much outside Luxor itself and Westbank. Nevertheless the hotel, a veritable oasis, was so very pleasant that being there was a treat.

There were no hassles. Reception (be sure to consult them for advice) ensured guests got good outside services: taxis, boats, tours, guides, shopping.

The spa centre is managed by a professional - Ahmed - who is pretty knowledgeable and can arrange special activities such as desert bivouacs to geysers, Hurgada etc. Reflexology was available in my own room. The standard of massages (medical) was good.

Restaurants at the hotel offered varied, fresh and good food. Hygiene was spot on and the service excellent.

My room was close to the activities desk by the pool. Here staff were at hand to organise all sorts of enjoyable events.

I am booked to return next month I liked it so much! Let's hope things go as well.

Egypt is a great country and the people seem determined that political uncertainty will not interfere with their precious tourist industry. Consequently they are dedicated and ready to go the extra mile for us.

Be guided by the advice given at the hotel and you cannot go wrong.

At the ministry of tourism, where I ventured to make general enquires, I learned that it was unknown for tourists to be harmed there.

Take plenty of small notes (Egyptian pounds) for tips people will show themselves to be grateful.

At tourist sites (temples etc) be polite but firm in dismissing requests for tips if you feel harassed.

Enjoy the journey.

Room Tip: Pool/part Nile views
4 Thank Troothyness
Dear Guest,

Let me seize this opportunity to thank you for choosing Sofitel Karnak-Luxor to spend your recent holiday . We are greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests in the trip advisor site and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of standards.

Many thanks for your comments, it is only through valuable feedback received from our valued guests, such as your good self that we are able to maintain and further improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be at Sofitel Karnak.

Sheffield
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Hotel:

The hotel lives up to it’s luxury name. The rooms are not what you’d call 5* in England, but they are fine with everything you need. There is a free safe to use, free air conditioning and everything else you’d expect to find. A couple of points to note are that firstly, the fridge is noisy during the night, and secondly, my room was on the end facing the town and I was woken every morning at 4am by the local mosque with the ‘call to prayer’ from the loudspeakers. Thirdly, a lizard would sometimes be found on my wall and would run into the vent above the wardrobe when I tried to catch it.

I recommend going all inclusive, if you had to pay for drinks etc it would have worked out very expensive. A lager was £3.50 a time, a cocktail would be £6 - £8. No money changes hands - you fill out chits with your room number, so if you weren’t all-inclusive you may have a nasty shock when you get your final bill. The food is ok, buffet for every meal with a good choice. If your all-inclusive you can also have one free 3 course meal in the proper restaurant for free - this was excellent and exactly the same as paying customers (the main course would be £15 alone). The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and are fully enclosed and patrolled by at least 6 guards at all times. There is a free bus or boat service to take you into Luxor.

Plenty of areas to relax, find a sun lounger and collect your free towel from the activities area. There is a football pitch, tennis court, squash court, gym, sauna, and spa (massages are extra and are about £35 for 30 minutes). There are 4 shops inside the hotel and I found them to be good value and very little if no hassle, so check these before being conned in Luxor. By far the best thing about this hotel are the staff. Get talking to them, get to know them and they can’t do enough for you. You simply can’t put a price on good service (something sadly missing in this country). Overall, a wonderful oasis paradise in the middle of abject poverty that is Luxor.

Luxor:

I’m sorry to say that Luxor itself is dirty and difficult to deal with. I went into Luxor on the free shuttle bus and from the moment I stepped off the bus it was a complete nightmare. I just wanted to potter around and enjoy the sights and atmosphere, but you cannot. The hassle is ridiculous, I had one local follow me around every street with his friend with horse and carriage just behind. In the end I had to get nasty and tell him where to go. You are spotted from miles around and people shouting to you and hassling you. Tourism is down to rock bottom in Luxor and Egypt and the locals are poor and desperate for money. Although Luxor is a safe place for tourists, I have to say that I didn’t feel safe wandering around alone (even being a 6ft 4 male). If you get a taxi anywhere, always agree on the fee before getting in the taxi, and make sure you state Egyptian Pounds. The price from Luxor to the Sofitel should be around 25 LE (Egytian Pounds - £2.50 English).

Trips:

Did Karnack Temple, Luxor Temple, Valley of the Kings, Queens etc. I did most of my trips through Thompsons, the rep was excellent, but one thing to note is that the guides may make a detour. I went on one trip and the guide took us to the ‘Papyrus Museum’. It wasn’t at all, it was a shop and we were pressurized into making a purchase. I then found the same thing in the hotel shop for half the price. I’m sure the guides must take a cut of this and it needs stopping.

Airport:

I don’t know why we go through the stupid farce in English Airports about 100ml in fluids etc and what you can take out because returning to England, the Egyptians couldn’t give a stuff. The toilets are the biggest problem, the toilet ‘attendant’ demands money for handing you toilet paper to dry your hands! There are some duty free shops in Luxor airport which are very good value coming home.

Room Tip: Rooms on ground floor are cooler, get one away from the mosque.
9 Thank NH11

Michigan
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Fabulous pool, well maintained grounds and a very helpful reception. The restaurant food was OK, although the service was very good there and in the cafe. CAUTION: the ATM here charges you an extra fee, beyond the usual international withdrawal fee. I was here as part of a tour group and while my room was quiet, others were awoken by the 4 am prayer call. My room was near the eastern boundary and I did not hear this. Bed was very comfortable, bathroom old but clean. Walking along the riverfront, for both sunrise and sunset was a lovely feature and I would stay here again. Only 10 minutes drive to Karnak temple, 20 into the heart of Luxor.

Room Tip: My room was in Akhemton, #1222 and very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank ElaineMI
Dear Guest,

We are very delighted to review your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Karnak-Luxor. It is always a pleasure to receive client's feedback.

Iowa
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Our room, in the Ramses section, was fine. A tad worn, but certainly clean, and we appreciated the water bottles provided.

The call to prayer woke us every morning from 4:30-5 a.m. As we were in a small tour group and often needed to leave by 5 or 6 a.m., this was not a huge problem. But it was very loud. If you do not need or want to waken at that hour, be sure to ask for a room that is far away from the speakers of the mosque.

We used the buffet mostly for breakfast. There was a wide range of choices. The omelet station did not open until about 8 a.m. so we rarely experienced its pleasures!

Free wi-fi (much appreciated) is available in the lobby only. It would have been nice to have wi-fi available everywhere on the property.

We booked the balloon ride and were so glad we did, then were so saddened by the accident a week later. It was a really wonderful experience.

Be sure to park yourself next to the Nile for sundown. Beautiful!

We recommend this hotel.