“Great Hotel with Staff that care”

Mercure Luxor Karnak
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Just got back from a two week holiday at this resort, I have been traveling to Egypt for many years staying at many hotels along my favourite river in the world, the mighty Nile.
I can honesty state that I would not hesitate to rebook and stay here again. Nothing was to much trouble for the excellent staff at this resort, food was excellent the rooms and hotel very clean, but what really makes this place for me is the low two storey construction set in very lush and well cared for gardens.
Great pool and again the staff really looking after that area and my needs when I was there ( clean towels and a cool wet beer )
I cannot find fault in the value I had as an all inclusive guest, in these hard times for Egypt this hotel is really trying hard and it shows.
Stop listening to rubbish reports of troubles, they where never aimed at the tourist, go and embrace the magic of this land and it's people, while doing so stay at this fantastic resort, who knows maybe I'll share a beer with you!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank buzzskin
There are newer reviews for Mercure Luxor Karnak

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I've just returned from a two week, all inclusive, stay at this hotel and I'm having a hard time trying to find fault. From the lovely staff to the great food, everything was great value. Unfortunately, most of the bar areas and restaurants were closed due to the lack of visitors which is such a shame for both staff and customers alike but this did not stop everyone doing their utmost to make our stay a good one. I was particularly impressed with the quality of the food on offer. Yes, there was, at times, a limited choice available but what was provided tasted lovely and fresh and the kitchen staff were more than willing to cater for any individual requests.

Tourism has been badly hit in the area and all businesses are struggling. This hotel is coping admirably in these adverse times. Yes, there are areas that could be updated but nowhere was of poor quality. Having stayed at the Maritim Jolie Ville and The Steigenberger Nile Palace (both of which have their merits) I can honestly say that this hotel would pip them both for all round value requirements.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank scu8a8uddy
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed here two weeks ago for two days prior to joining a Nile cruise..
All the previous posts are accurate to a degree, we can`t all agree on everything..
It is very quiet here, apart from the birds first thing in the morning. If your an ornithologist you have it cracked but not if you like sleeping in, take earplugs..!!!
The gardens are a real treat, fronting onto the Nile, with views over to the Valley of the Kings..
As I said it is very quiet,700 person capacity, whilst we were there they had only 25 guests but they employ a full complement of staff and the place is very clean if somewhat dated.
Would stay again, but I am now all Egypt`d up, and would prefer to go to a clean country for once..

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here one night after our Nile Cruise. A lovely hotel in all....Reception area was airy and spacious, the receptionist was friendly, helpful and welcoming..... We were booked as bed and Breakfast, but within a few minutes we upgraded to All Inclusive, and so glad that we did.... The Buffet lunch and dinner was tasty, with a selection of hot meats, salads, vegetables and potatoes also some fish. Also a Chef would rustle up a fresh pasta for you while you waited..(And yes the salads were good, I ate plenty of it with no problem at all). The wine flowed, our waiter made sure that our glasses were never empty,.........................The only restaurant open was The Opet, but that was fine,,, and what a beautiful place,, huge columns, high ceilings,, quite grand,, plus an outside terrace...Pool area clean, lots of sun beds and huge towels, also plenty of sun beds overlooking the river..... Talking of which The Sundowner Bar, perfect for that G&T whilst watching sun go down over the Nile
Our room was fine, certainly comfortable enough,, bathroom clean and fresh...
Staff couldn't have been more helpful and considerate... Not many guests, nothing to do with the hotel, but merely just the situation in Egypt...Hopefully this will improve, we certainly felt safe and secure there,,as we did in Cairo and on our Nile Cruise.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Geraldine G
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I returned 2 weeks ago from my 11th stay at what is now the Karnak Resort hotel. Once again I cannot fault the hotel or the staff. Even though there were only a few other tourists staying the first week there was no lack of attention from any of the staff. It felt almost like my own private villa with waiter service. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff, from cleaners to waiters and pool staff. The second week several international Taekwondo teams stayed at the hotel and even though staff were occasionally 'run off their feet' I never once felt that my needs were not attended to in a most efficient manner. Even though there were very few tourists the swimming pool was heated to a comfortable degree and was very clean and well maintained. The lifeguards put towels on tourists preferred sunbeds and even put extra padded cushion on mine to make it easier for me to get on and off it due to my back problem. I cannot praise the staff at this hotel highly enough and I recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Luxor. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Irenee66
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We were a bit nervous about going to Egypt but could not have felt safer, both at the hotel and at the Temples and in the Valley of the Kings.

It is such a shame people are scared of going there at the moment - the Egyptians are lovely people and kept thanking us for visiting their country.

The Karnak Resort was great, although very quiet, and the staff worked incredibly hard to make sure our stay was good. Food is ok, freshly prepared lunches were the best, especially the Greek Salad.

The tailor at the hotel was very tolerant, highly skilled, and extremely good value. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: No rooms have a Nile view which is a shame
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jmh882014
Reviewed 26 February 2014

It has a nice garden and pool, you still can see that it was a Sofitel 5* hotel once... but unfortunately it is in need of renovations... However, price/quality is fine... It's located a few km outside luxor, so you need a Taxi to go out. My advice is to use Alah Crocodile, or his brother Tarek Crocodile, from all the taxi chauffeurs I trust them most, and they not give you any hassle and have fair prices.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business