“Honeymoon Paradise xx”

Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Manchester
“Honeymoon Paradise xx”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon and it was amazing.
The complex is massive and took us around 4 days to find our whereabouts but it was fun.
The food served is good compared to other places in Egypt and there is also a good selection for everybody.
The pools were very clean and well looked after - they were also reasonably quiet so no need to go early to get a sun lounger.
The drinks were quite expensive so beware if you dont pay your bill until the end of your stay!
All the staff are very friendly and not too pushy for tips etc which makes a change.
Also it is a typical English resort with few Europeans which again makes a change for Egypt.
The rooms were spacious and comfortable with air conditioning which was well used.
I wouldnt recommend September for taking children as it was quiet and more for couples wanting to chill out and be peaceful.
Taxis and shuttle bus are excellent and are very reliable and the taxis are very cheap.
If you want to eat out I would strongly recommend The Lantern and The Puddleduck - English owned, very good food and reasonably priced. The taxi driver will also come back and pick you up at an arranged time which was excellent too.
The zoo in the complex is definately an experience but worth seeing as is the gym!!
The people coming round touting for business within the complex were fine and left you when you said 'no' apart from 1 lady who does the manicures and pedicures - she has a tendancy to pester you and wont leave you alone day after day.
Would recommend the Fellah Tent evening but book it with the manager in the restaurant as you will pay £35 more if you book elsewhere.
Definately a taste of paradise and heavenly. We could'nt have asked or wished for a better destination for the start of our married life.

Room Tip: If you smoke do request a smoking room as several blocks are non smoking rooms. Most of the rooms h...
1 Thank ManchesterTilly36
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this review, 1 October 2011
Dear Manchester Tilly 36,

Thank you very much for having chosen the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor for your Honeymoon this September. It was a pleasure to have you staying with us and we are happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay in our Hotel.

Thank you very much as well for having taken the time to write such a positive review about our hotel and the team, it is so much appreciated!

With regards to the Beauty Salon Lady which seems to have been a nuisance and pestered you, I am very sorry and apologize. If you could get in contact with me directly, I could send you pictures of the ladies in order to identify her. It is our first and foremost aim that our esteemed clients feel happy and comfortable.

ALL our rooms, since they have been renovated last year or newly built, are NON SMOKING! At the same time they all have fantastic furnished terraces with ashtrays. As Luxor guarantees 365 days of the year good and sunny weather, smoking outside is always possible.

Wishing you all the very best on your future way together and hoping to be able to welcome you back on Kings Island, your home in upper Egypt very soon, I remain with

Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Greenock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

My wife and I have travelled the world and stayed in many fabulous hotels in many fabulous countries but I can honestly say that the Jolie Ville is the best hotel and location that we have ever stayed.

Our adventure began in early September with a weeklong cruise on the Nile; our ship was the recently refurbished “MS Commodore”. We were all inclusive on the ship; the food was amazing and would suit all tastes. The staff on the ship are very friendly and offer an excellent service. During this week we went on our excursions , these included, Karnak Temple, Luxor Temple, Aswan and the awe inspiring “Valley of the Kings”, other excursions are available should you wish to go.

If you are doing a Nile Cruise and the Hotel Jolie Ville, may I suggest that you do the cruise first and then your second week in the hotel because once you arrive in the Jolie Ville you will not want to leave !

The Hotel Jolie Ville is amazing, from the minute we arrived in the reception, we knew we were in for a special week. My wife and I have stressful jobs back home and it was amazing to forget about everything for those 2 weeks.

The room we were allocated was excellent, clean, tidy and offered all mod cons. These rooms have recently been refurbished and done so to a very high standard.
With regards to eating, I was informed that the food in the hotel was expensive, we did not find that at all ! Lunchtime snacks are on average £5:00 per meal, beer is £3:00 for a large bottle of Stella, do you think this is expensive ?

We opted for the Bed and Breakfast package, this allowed us the freedom to eat out in Luxor or eat in the hotel. I highly recommend the “Lantern” in Luxor, great food, cooked to a high standard and fantastic value for money. If you chose to eat in the hotel, then you should try the “Ascot Bar”, great service and plenty of variety on the menu. These meals are also inexpensive, expect to pay £8:00 for a mixed grill, this is the most expensive meal on the menu, what does that tell you !

The grounds of the hotel are maintained to a very high standard and it is teeming with wildlife and unfortunately mosquitoes. If you taste nice and are prone to mosquito bites please pack a repellent which contains DEET as I have been informed that this is the most effective. I believe you can purchase it from BOOTS.

With regards to excursions, the “ Valley of the Kings “ is a MUST ! However, be prepared for hassle from the hawkers, this applies to any excursion you go on. Just be firm and say NO and move on. It is especially bad this year following the “Revolution” but please remember it is their livelihood but it does wear you down.

If you are looking for souvenirs, may I suggest that you buy during the excursion. Part of this tour involves a visit to an alabaster factory and a papyrus gallery. The quality of these are vastly superior to what’s on offer on the street or markets.

Take £1:00 coins with you for tipping, the Egyptians love our currency.

I think I have said everything I need to but must say again, if you are thinking of an holiday in Luxor, DO NOT stay anywhere else other than the “Hotel Jolie Ville” It is by far the best hotel in Luxor. Having seen the other hotels in the centre of Luxor, nothing compares !
If you are looking for a holiday where nothing else matters, this is the place for you. I cannot recommend this “Slice of Heaven” enough.....
If you have any questions or looking for additional information, do not hesitate to contact me via the site.

3 Thank Stuart N
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this review, 3 October 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having chosen the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor for your “after cruise chill out” this September. It was a great pleasure to have you staying on our island and we are very happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay in our Hotel.

Thank you very much as well for having taken the time to write such a positive and extensive review about our hotel and the team, it is very highly appreciated!

Wishing you all the very best and hoping to be able to welcome you back on Kings Island, your home in Upper Egypt very soon, I remain with

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed here for two weeks in August 2010 which was also Ramadan that year, on a Bed and Breakfast basis.

Blimey is it hot here in August, somedays it tipped 50 Celsius, now i love heat but even the breeze felt like a hot hairdryer blowing on you! You do get used to it though quite quickly and everywhere is air-conditioned.

We stayed in one of the cute little bungalows, they are pretty basic but were fine for our needs as we like to go out and not spend our holiday in a hotel room!! We were assigned a housekeeper for the whole of our stay and he was fab! Housekeeping is very thorough and regular.

The buffet breakfast was great and with both of us being strict vegans we were surprised to find soya milk was provided!! I like egyptian food and was happy to have falafel, tahini and beans for breakfast!! As there is so much food choice you can stock up on breakfast then not eat until dinner time.
If you are peckish the pool bar is great, plus i liked the system of just signing for our room number and then paying the bill later so you only need money for tipping. The staff are fantastic and so polite especially as they could not drink or eat, and it was 47 celsius most days. Nothing was too much trouble and they would try and spend time talking to you even though they were clearly very busy. Their was no need to stop sunbathing and get up to go and get drinks or food, they will bring it to you with a smile! We liked to tip small but regularly instead of a big amount all in one go except the housekeeper who we gave in one lot. They don't actually seem to expect a tip, they will still do anything for you. We got room service some nights and it was hot, tasty and very reasonable.

The sunsets were amazing and they play classical music at the sunset bar but not for too long(sounds funny and i'm not a classical music type, but it was actually really moving).
Drinks could be expensive but i drank Luxor beer (tastes of bananas) most of the time and it comes in huge bottles so goes a long way!
The pools are great, we liked to alternate between the quiet pool near the main building and the infinity pool, though loved going to the infinity pool the most!

One only criticism and slight annoyance at this resort was the ladies from the beauty salon. Any time i was sunbathing they were always coming up to me and asking me to get my eyebrows done (which i had already had threaded and dyed before my holiday!) and saying i had a moustache that needed waxing, which i don't care about as it is very fine blonde hair and is not thick and black (my boyfriend started calling me freddy mercury from then on). I know they have a business to run but i had to resort to pretending i was fast asleep or run into the pool quickly before they spotted me! Still this would not put me off coming back here again.

We often went in to Luxor to have dinner and found some nice little egyptian restaurants to try.As we knew it was Ramadan it was expected that we would not be able to go into Luxor to have an alcoholic drink (though we were lucky in some places and we even got taken out for a drink by an egyptian restaurant owner).
The resort is on it's own little island which is quite far from the centre of Luxor and so you will need to get a taxi to go anywhere but it was not expensive especially when you agree the price before getting into the taxi. I think it was about E10 at the time each way. The hotel offers a shuttle bus which is great but if you want a later evening out get a taxi home.
It is an experience that not everyone savours but i did not mind all the hassle too much from the street hustlers and horse and cart men, the best thing to do is wear sunglasses and walk with your head up and just keep walking, the more you engage with them the more they will hassle you! I got rather annoyed my first night with one guy and he just laughed at me and carried on hassling me even more (haha serves me right for being grumpy) Plus they are only trying to make a living! If you hate bartering and beggars then steer clear of egypt full stop!

I recommend flying to Cairo for the day and seeing the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities, it's so amazing but i personally wouldn't bother going to any of the alabaster factories on the way, they seem just a waste of time and and are just a money making scheme for the rep.

You can not be in Luxor and not visit the West bank and Valley of the KIngs or Hatshepsut's Tomb (highlight of my holiday). Top tip though when going to any tombs, do not take any fans from anyone to cool down, (it is sweltering heat in the tombs in august) it will be a piece of a cereal box and then when you leave they will charge you money for it and take the card back haha! I saw lots of people being conned this way! Take plenty of water, your own fan and do not wear flipflops unless you want to die falling down hundreds of steep steps! We hired a taxi to go and see Luxor museum and Karnak Temple which took most of the day and our driver waited for us in the carpark and it cost only E150, the equivalent then of about £18.

I would definitely stay here again and also recommend it to friends and family. I'd like to bring my dad here as I think it is a good place for anyone with mobility problems as it is all on the same level and the infinity pool has parts with ramps and bannisters. They appeared to have a ramp anywhere that needed it.

2 Thank Junalee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

We stayed at Jolie Ville from 14th to 21st September 2011. This was our third visit to Luxor and we wouldn't stay anywhere else. This place for us is simply the best in Luxor. This time we brought my mother along, her first holiday in a number of years and first to Egypt.

We emailed Jolie Ville a couple of weeks before our holiday to ask if we could have rooms next to or very near to each other, they replied to say that not only could we do that but that we had been upgraded go the new deluxe rooms. We had previously stayed in Oscar 1 and 2 when we brought our daughter in 2006 and previously 2005. But have to say WOW to these new rooms. They are fabulous. Bed was very comfortable, room kept spotlessly clean by Sabri who put fresh flowers every day. Do be careful with the shower particularly if you have small children....temperature a bit temperamental until you can gauge it just right....freezing cold to scaldingly hot!

Breakfast buffet was very good with a wide assortment to suit all tastes. You can even ask for freshly made omelette. There is also a lady outside making flat bread straight from a hot oven, you can,t get fresher than that!
we stayed bed and breakfast so cannot comment on e ening meals. We did have a snack at Ascot bar but felt it was spoilt by people smoking.
The new horizon pool is perfect and you can watch boats sailing by on the Nile as you cool off. What could be better than looking across at the Valley of the Kings?

We had a walk to the zoo, sorry to see that the crocodile has been sent to Aswan and very sad to hear Cleo the camel had passed away. The animals look well cared for and we were able to go and feed Rameses and Omar the camels. On our last day Ramseses and his keeper visited us......Note : Rameses loves bananas and apples so if you get chance to 'save' some from breakfast, you will enjoy feeding him!

All the staff from gardeners, cleaners, waiting staff, reception, bar, managers, are all friendly, always smiling and happy to help in order to make your stay a wonderful experience.

I cried when we left but insha Allah, we will return soon.

Room Tip: New rooms are excellent. We stayed in new block two which was near/far enough away from horizon pool...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank 666vampyra
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

My sister and I made our 3rd trip to Maritim Jollyville and were disapointed in the amount of unnecessary changes and construction on the island since our last visit 2 years ago. This place has always been out little piece of heaven here on earth and will return again, hoping the reconstruction will be finished. Every one we met were returning like us and many commented on the changes and were disapointed in the re modeling of the complex. The staff are polite, helpful and will go that extra mile to ensure you enjoy your stay. The only negative is the standard of food being served - this has definitely dropped. There is an older waiter in the Ascot Bar who seems to treat the younger waiters badly and when he had a day off the atmosphere changed dramatically - for the better. His name is Achmed - watch out for him!
Mosif

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mosif
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Dear Mosif from Scotland,

Thank you very much for having returned to the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor this September after 2 years and for having taken the time to write your opinion about the hotel and the team, it is always much appreciated!

The entire world, not only Kings Island, is an ever changing place, people and companies want to move forward to improve themselves constantly, it’s called progress. So did the owners when taking the decision to renovate and extend the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor some time ago.
It is just normal that Regular Guests wished nothing would ever change in and around their beloved and favorite place and everything should remain the same forever. I had witnessed such in many other projects before.

I am sad to learn that with all that money and sweat invested in the past months the result does not satisfy your taste but truly hope you might return anyway.
Just yesterday, we had our “Regular Guest Cocktail” party at the new Moga Pool Bar inside the all new Horizon Pool. I had the chance to talk to many Regular Guests on that occasion and got the impression that most are positive on the new hotel but at the same time could have done easily without, which is understandable.

About your comment on the older barman in the Ascot Bar, I will investigate what is behind this and if necessary take appropriate action.

Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

We stayed at the JV 14-21/9/11. From the moment we crossed the bridge on to the island, we knew we had chosen the best hotel in Luxor for our needs. Check-in was dealth with swiftly in the new and sumptuous Lobby. Our bags and us were whisked to our standard room by golf buggy. The room was N9, an excellent room, everything we needed and much more modern than we anticipated. But, before we had even began to unpack, we went back to the Lobby and asked what upgrades were available, not because we werent happy with the room, but because we wanted to check out the brand new rooms. They offered the Delux and Super Delux rooms, and we were whisked off in the buggy again to have a look. We saw the Super Delux room and the room sold itself to us. The super delux rooms are ENORMOUS, and you could have a party on the balcony its so spacious. The one we were shown had a Nile view, and they asked for $40USD per night. I had asked about upgrading the standard bungalow room to Nile view before we travelled, and they wanted $40USD for that also, so we took the super delux room they showed us. Two huge beds, marble floors with rugs, armchairs and a table inside and on the balcony, large flatscreen tv, and a bathroom with bath shower, two sinks toilet an a bidet, hairdryer. To demonstrate how large this room is, I counted 11 seperate light switches! All rooms have tea and coffee making, but wise to bring your own supply of tea, coffee and creamer as they a bit stingy, and the mugs they supply are large. Towels and sheets are changed when YOU ask for it, either by leaving towels on the floor, or placing a "please change sheets" card on the bed. We had towel sculptures on the beds every evening.

The hotel grounds are vast, and its easy to get lost, but the wander to find where you are going is through lush tropical gardens with palms and mature large trees, which are immaculately cared for. The areas around the new buildings where our room was isn't so mature, but lovely nonetheless. Everything faces onto the West Bank, so the sunsets are stunning, and the Valley Of The Kings hills can be seen, which are lit up at night.

We took the special offer meal deal for £375EGY which gave us 2 meals in the main restaurant buffet style, and one meal in La Fleur. The meal alone at the La Fleur would have cost more than this, and here cost did equal quality, the meal we ate there was 1st class. The other 2 meals were in the open buffet, which was themed each night and good and plentiful. The desserts are to die for. We stayed B&B which is buffet style and in the same restaurant - continental breakfast with fresh real fruit juices, cereals, fruit, cheeses, bread and pastries, an egg chef and fresh made pancakes. Other evening we ate in town, but one night we didnt have the energy to go caleche dodging so ate in the hotel buffet. This was £350EGY for both of us (£35gbp) and I think it was over-priced for a buffet.

We had lunches around the pool (when we hungry after the huge breakfast), and they were good value, well cooked, and presented by waiters at the poolside, or could be eaten in the shade at the pool bar. It is the same set up at the horizon and the infinity pools. The relaxing pool was closed for cleaning while we were there, but it looked like that had its own bar and kitchen area for lunches. We were paying about £60EGY each for lunches.

Drinks in the hotel are expensive by anyones standards. We bought cans of Pepsi and bottles of water in town and they didnt seem to mind us drinking it around the pools. Bottles of water at the pool are served in an ice bucket - if you ask for it. You can have rides on the resident camel for free, for some backsheesh to the camel man - we gave him £20LE and he seemed happy with that.

The pools are huge, well looked after and very clean. I would have to say that the horizon and infinity pools are among the best pools I have experienced in Egypt.

We bought 2 massages each, and got one free. Each was about £250LE for a 1hour massage, and the steam,sauna, scrub, massage was about £400LE and that lasted 1,5 hours. The free one was a back massage for 30 minutes. We can't fault the Spa at all.

The beauty treatment were ok, but sort of like a faulty towers experience as nobody seemed to know what was meant to be happening. The salon is nothing to do with the hotel, so you have to pay cash. For what you get, it is VERY expensive. Rushed and a bit amateurish.

The hotel runs a free shuttle bus to and from town, which you have to book onto at reception as it fills quickly. This service is very handy and efficient, picking up and dropping off at 3 points downtown, each time giving you 2.25 hours to do your own thing. A taxi into town which the hotel will arrange for you is £20LE one way, and taxis are easy to pick up in town for £25LE for the return.

The hotel was running at only 20% occupancy while we were there.

For a relaxing resort style hotel, close enough to Luxor where you can arrange your own trips and days out, we can't fault the Maritim Jolie Ville. A real 5 star hotel in an idyllic setting.

Room Tip: Leave upgrading until you get there.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this review, 24 September 2011
Dear Markjango from Rickmansworth,

Thank you very much for having chosen the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor to be your home in Luxor this September and for your positive review. We are delighted that about your extensive write up and that you obviously have enjoyed your stay at our Hotel and in Upper Egypt.

I am very sorry you did not much enjoy the “beauty salon” which is being transferred to its new location near the Spa beginning of October. We will try our utmost to improve our services to become more professional.

With regards to the drink prices in the Hotel which are again and again a theme for Tripadvisor writers. We just finalized a beverage price comparison with our closest competitors in town and found ourselves being within the midfield.
It is absolutely normal that in a 5 stars Hotel the prices for drinks are much higher than in a Supermarket no matter where you are, London, Luxor, Luzern or LA. The Hotels have complete different costing and provide a different service and ambiance which is not for free. I recently paid for a 3/4 lt. sparkling water in a 4 stars Hotel in Berlin 14.- Euro. Our mineral water 1,5 lt. costs 15.- Le. = 1.86 Euro, I don’t think it’s too much.

If clients buy water, soft drinks and beer outside the Hotel it takes away not only revenue from the Hotel but as well Service Charge from our employees’ salaries.
Selling rooms, food & beverage is the business we are living of!
Have you ever tried to bring your own gasoline when taking a taxi and therefore bargaining the price?

Thanking you once again for a very positive and objective revue, I wish you all the very best and hoping to be able to welcome you back on Kings Island, your home in Luxor, very soon, I remain with

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

went in may 2011 for the 20th time, already planning to return in Feb 2012. As soon as you walk through the door you feel at home,you are made welcome by everyone from the gardeners to the managers.you are never forgotten. The food, Gardens, accomadation, safety and hygene standards are exceptional, A real gem of a place...There is only one problem for me and that is I feel terribly homesick for the place as soon as I leave...If you are thinking of travelling to Egypt, then please try this place, Luxor is a very safe and wonderful place as is this Island

Room Tip: The New rooms are huge and gorgeous, a corner room and balcony is larger than a middle suite..
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pinoandrita
Dear Pinoandrita from Norwitch,

Thank you very much for having stayed at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor once again in May 2011 and to support the Hotel & our Team with your visit during these difficult times.

Your kind and positive revue about our Hotel, YOUR home in Luxor! is very much appreciated and we are very happy & proud to have some many fantastic friends all over the world who keep on coming back to the Jolie Ville and to Egypt to spend their holiday’s on the shore of the river Nile.

Wishing you all the very best and hoping to be able to welcome you back on Kings Island, your home in Luxor very soon, I remain with