“Very good but with hidden agendas. Be careful”

Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Athens, Greece
“Very good but with hidden agendas. Be careful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

We came to the resort just 2 days before New Year's Eve. I was highly disappointed by Luxor city the previous night so we were happy to discover this little confined paradise. Luxor is a place to avoid for a tourist. It's full of hassle, bad food, walking on the streets was painful. People are extremely desperate to get something from you that I almost found it scary. You have to be extra careful- even that I am a man. Forget walking on the street if you are a woman.

When we arrived at the resort 2 polite girls at the concierge gave us options about our rooms.At some point we have been told that if we stayed for New Year's we had to make arrangements for the $150 (per couple) New Year's Eve dinner that I somehow found it weird (more on it below)
Our room was clean spacious and simply decorated, reminded me a bit of a Palm-Spring resort with a 70's style twist. The swimming pool, the outdoors stuff everything super beautiful. I loved watching the views of the Nile during the whole day. Views from every angle are amazing. There is nothing negative to say at all. Fantastic swimming pools, great gym, nice breakfast etc.
Going back to the New Year's Eve dinner, when we arranged everything with the concierge, they forwarded us to another desk where a girl and a food manager were making arrangements about the seating and menu for the New Years Eve dinner. I was not sure if I wanted to spend 150$ for 2 people (drinks were not included) seating with people I dont know but then I said it's fine, it might be fun. We made an arrangement with the seating and we confirmed the price again with the Food Manager that it would be $150 for both of us. It felt somehow fishy as at the end I had to ask if drinks were included and the said they were not. Staying in Egypt already for a week made me cautious and careful about extra fees etc.
The dinner was a OK. I did not go crazy. If it was not a obligation, we would have surely skipped it. At the end of the dinner we had to sign the bill only for our drinks we realised one extra bottle of wine was charged so we immediattely told the waiter and they corrected.
We checkout out on New Year's Eve day and at the concierge we received a charge for the New Year's dinner for 190$ each person! The person at the concierge did not want to correct the fee so we asked him to bring the food manager to confirm that the dinner was agreed with 150$ for both of us. The food manager eventually showed up, denying that we discussed the price at the arrangement desk (!) but he proposed to make a deal for 100$ each! I started being complaining again and being somehow upset so he finally "managed" to set the pre-arranged price after these complains. This incident really put a stain on my impression of this beautiful resort. This attitude was surely somehow downtown Luxor. I would definetely suggest this hotel but be careful, agree everything at the beginning and check the bills!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Angelo P
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this review, 8 January 2012
Dear Angelo P from Athens Greece,

Thank you very much for having stayed at our Resort over the past New Year and for your comments published on Tripadvisor.

I am happy to learn that in general you have enjoyed the days on Kings Island. With regards to the NY eve dinner, in almost all resort hotels around the world this is a compulsory evening (such as X-Mass dinner). The price we are charging for this is USD 190.- per person excluding beverages. I am sorry for the bottle of wine which has been posted wrongly on your bill, good you have reckoned it and so it could be corrected, things like this unfortunately happen on a busy evening such as on NY.
The price for the dinner is “relatively” high because of all the extra cost, the decoration, extra staff, the band (in our case a 7 men jazz band from Germany), the shows, the disco, the free sparkling wine at mid night etc etc. I am sorry if it had been insufficiently explained to you.

Luxor is mainly living from the international tourism. 2011 has been a VERY bad year for all, it is true that some vendors or calech owners have become slightly desperate and try to catch every opportunity (tourist) to make a deal. I do although disagree with your statement that it is scary, my wife walks around the streets for shopping daily, without ever having encountered a difficult or frightening situation. Of course this is my point of view which might obviously defer depending on the person.

Wishing you a very happy New Year and hoping that your Country is able to tackle up its problems as well as Egypt is finding its way back to normality and prosperity.

Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

Great location (peaceful beautiful island away from the fumes of cruise boats in Luxor town); best food in Luxor; very good rooms (especially new area). Love it!

Room Tip: Superior rooms in new area are excellent but those with connecting door to next room should be avoid...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Smithols124 from Nottingham UK,

Thank you very much for having stayed at our Resort for your holiday and for your positive comments published on Tripadvisor.

I am happy to read that you have truly enjoyed your holiday on Kings Island.
We are aware of the sound problem of our connecting rooms, we have ordered carpets to be but on and foam for in-between the connecting doors in the Deluxe / Superior Deluxe Rooms which should solve the problem.

The entire Jolie Ville Team wishes you a very happy New Year and truly hope to be able to welcome you back home on Kings Island in the near future.

Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

We decided to opt out of a Christmas at home and went to this hotel as a party of 5 adults and three children. We chose Luxor as it offered guaranteed sun with a cultural experience right on it's doorstep. The Egypt revolution may as well be in another country. The only signs are a lack of visiting tourists, we travelled by local taxi throughout Luxor to the many cultural sites and also in the markets and if you like bartering you are totally safe and can enjoy everything this country has to offer.

The website of this hotel does not do it justice. We were so amazed by the quality and offerings and look forward to returning. We met many people that were on their third, fourth and eleventh stay. That really says it all. I really don't believe there is a single hotel in the world that matches it for location, class and with the proximity to the awesome cultural sites.

This hotel is unique. If you just want a relaxing holiday in guaranteed sunshine, then the hotel offerings are extensive and the food brilliant (we ate far too much).

Without leaving the hotel - to name a few experiences:

Spa, Gym, Infinity pool and others (including adults only), playground, table tennis, tennis, outdoor chess, sunset terraces, multiple restaurants with amazing food, donkey rides, it's own camel (names Ramses) and zoo, feluca and motor boats......

It has extensive areas where it grows it's own herbs, vegetables, grapes and even has citrus groves and banana plants. I loved taking walks about the island and was always greeted with the staff staying good morning etc.

Our children were able to catch (using hotel rods) many fish from the nile, which they took by donkey to the hotel zoo to feed the resident pelicans.........where else could you do this! (thanks to Ahmed for arranging!)

The Island is a secure and large - it offers acres of beautiful gardens and isolated areas where you can sit and watch the nile life go by. For bird watchers this must be a paradise! We have never seen so many Herons, birds of prey, Ibis, Kingfishers etc.

Everything is immaculate, the grounds (which are swept every day) the rooms (we were in adjoining rooms in the newly refurbished bungalows with direct access to the garden. The food offerings were huge in there are many restaurants to choose from. For those hearing that trips to Egypt bring about funny tummies not a single person we came across suffered.

The hotel was child friendly without being overrun. It offered peace and tranquility and the views from the poolside across the biblical Nile are breathtaking. Service is excellent and with a smile. The staff cannot do enough for you. We did not miss Christmas at home as the occasion was celebrated within the hotel with so many things to do within it's perimeter.

Outside the hotel:

If you venture into Luxor to see the sights be prepared for bartering everywhere you go! We have travelled to many countries (including India) and the hassle to purchase things is not the worst and can be quite fun. Be prepared to barter for everything. If a price starts at 300 egyptian pounds then say 30 and work your way to an agreement! We never came way from a purchase thinking we'd been ripped off and I'm sure the Egyptians too thought they'd made a good deal! Also Egyptians will leave you alone if you are adamant you don't want anything so firmness whilst polite does work.

For those who have found the bartering tough, I have to remind myself that where is Europe would a taxi driver trust you enough to take you to a destination and not charge you, to collect you later at an agreed price!

To travel around the hotel arranged our taxi at a very competetive prices (they have an agreed price list to the various destinations). Many people didn't use these and procured there own, only to pay excessively more money.

In short, with everything, compared to anything you pay in the UK and Europe, everything is cheaper, so in the case of bartering, you have to decide what you are happy with without looking at the comparison to the Egyptian cost of living.

I am a little reluctant when saying this hotel is amazing as I do want to go back many times in the future and hope there will be space, given that I, without hesitation recommend to all. I cannot applaud the hotel enough!!!

One point to note if drinking Gin and Tonic is to go for Egyptian gin and not Gordon's as the price difference is huge and local gin is lovely!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Local_familyof5
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this review, 2 January 2012
Dear Local_familyof5 from Colchester UK,

Thank you very much for having chosen our Resort for your recent family holidays in Luxor and for taking the time to write your extensive comments about the Hotel and Luxor as a safe, trouble free and enjoyable holiday destination.

Reading your comments, I am thinking of calling you once the PR position in the Hotel get’s vacant! Thank you so much for your kindness and praises which I gladly will forward to all our team members.

The entire Jolie Ville Team is wishing you a very happy New Year and truly hope to be able to welcome you back home on Kings Island in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

I must first begin by saying how impressed we were by the location of the Maritim Jolie Ville hotel. Set on Kings Island, around a mile north from central downtown Luxor, this is the only hotel on the island and with just one (security patrolled) bridge for access/ egress, it is an island of calm and tranquility in the truest sense.

We were there for Christmas 2011 and were not disappointed. The sun was out every day and we typically enjoyed temperatures of around 25 degrees C. The staff were attentive and we even met the general manager who personally signed a birthday card to me (my birthday is Xmas eve) and arranged for a cake to be sent to our room for the occasion.

The rooms are clean and tidy and of a contemporary design. They come complete with a fridge, air conditioning, flat screen tv etc. there are 3 pools, one of which is an infinity pool overlooking the Nile. There is also a quiet pool and a much larger pool for families. There is really nothing negative I can say about this hotel.

However, I must tackle the ugly side to Luxor as almost everyone we discussed this with agreed that Luxor is not tourist friendly!! On arrival to the airport we were instantly attacked by begging locals desperate for a tip. There must have been over 50 men hanging around the arrivals area begging for the chance to drag our bags 2 meters and then demand a tip for the privilege. I counted four hands on my luggage at one point, all belonging to different angry, smelly, pushy Egyptian men. I manage construction sites for a living and I don't mind saying I found this more than a little terrifying. This was just a taste of what was to come. I don't want to bore anyone with the detail so let's just say it feels like everyone in Luxor would happily throw us westerners in the Nile for the contents of our wallets.

My girlfriend and I arranged a hot air balloon flight, Karnak temples, a trip up the Nile on a Faluka and some wonderful meals out. Try the Lantern or The Hilton for the best food but please take a cab to avoid the inevitable excessive hassle and angry shouting.

Please do go to Luxor, please stay at the Maritim Jolie Ville hotel. But Please God do NOT leave the island except with a cab to take you door to door!!!!!

I am hoping this is merely a symptom of the current political turmoil in the region and must point out this was not the case when I was in Sharm El Sheik 2 years ago.

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank Cougar7449
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this review, 31 December 2011
Dear Cougar7449,

Thank you very much for having chosen the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor for your holiday this December and thank as well for having taken the time to write your personal and very positive review about our Resort and the facilities.

It makes me happy to read that you have enjoyed your holiday and that the hotel had come up at full with your expectations, from the service & food offer to the vast gardens and pools to the newly renovated rooms.

You are very right in your last sentence; the pestering and sometimes irritating behavior of some people outside is a symptom of the actual political and uncertain situation in Egypt. Luxor is depending nearly 100% from tourism which had a downfall of about 60% this year. Everybody is desperate for a job and to earn however way their life. In general the people in Upper Egypt are very honest, warm hearted and loving people, one of the reasons why I took up the job here on Kings Island. After having had an assignment in Aswan previously, I knew with these people here I can work because of their natural warmth, the hospitality and their gentleness. It is just to be hoped the situation and the economy in this wonderful country will return to its former stability as soon as possible for the good of the Egyptians.

Wishing you a happy and prosperous New Year, we all hope to be able to welcome you back on Kings Island in the near future, I remain with

Sunny and festive regards from unique Luxor

Seaford, United Kingdom

12-19th December 2011
Very little to add to all the other 5* reviews.
The hotel grounds reminded me of the garden hotels in the Hawaiian Islands.
Abundant interesting bird life (little green bee eater, black kite, pied kingfisher et al)
I estimate that the hotel was only about 10% occupied during our week here and I am sure the staff outnumbered the guests.
Considering the occupation I think the Cosmos guests may have been assigned a better sited room than block A which had nothing extra to speak of other than close proximity to the restaurant.
We spent a week here following a week on a Nile Cruise. There is a lot of hassle in town (Luxor) from the caleche drivers and we got so fed up with it on out first night in Luxor that we stayed within the confines of the hotel for the rest of the week.
There was large marquee behind the temple and opposite McDonalds and this is where the locals shop for their household goods and textiles and we were not pestered at all.
We were bed and breakfast and took up the “special offer” for evening meals at the hotel, but it was a bit pricey compared to the restaurants in town, £12:50 each plus drinks.
The contrasts between the confines of the “tourist bubble” at the hotel and Luxor could not have been more stark. It was a bit unsettling in a way.
I found it a bit of an anathema that the Egyptians around the back streets of Luxor appear to live in squalor bit all have their mobile phones and satellite dishes. They have no respect for their animals and a lot of the horses pulling caleches were obviously not well fed or looked after. By contrast the young camel at the hotel looked very well looked after and healthy, as did the hotel cat.
If you want guaranteed sun and some relaxation then this hotel would be hard to beat.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CrumpySeaford
Dear Alan2011 from Seaford UK,

Thank you very much for having chosen the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor for your holiday and for having taken the time to write the above Tripadvisor comment.

December as well as the entire year 2011 was very difficult for tourism in Egypt and Luxor in particular. You are right; our team members outnumber the present clients in the hotel twofold and more. With the correct price politic although it was possible to keep all 600 staff on board despite Thomson, our former and most important supplier from the UK, has cancelled the 2011/12 contract because the hotel could not afford to reduce the rates by 30% after the revolution as they had requested.

We do not assign particular rooms to a particular Tour Operator. The rooms are distributed according to the daily availability and need. For regular clients we do although reserve their very favorite room / bungalow on request if possible.

Yes, meal prices in a 5stars Hotels are usually higher to the ones in a local restaurant in town, I believe it is the same in London, Manchester or any other city in the world.

Wishing you an excellent New Year and hopping to be able to welcome you back on Kings Island again in 2012.

I remain with sunny regards from unique Luxor

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

We opted for this hotel because of its location and amenities and suffice to say we were not disappointed,it is a great location for relaxing and especially if you have young kids, the facitilities for them are second to none. The staff were responsive and friendly, safety for you is paramount for them. Facilities are excellent for adults, a wonderful spa, so my wife opines, a lovely gym if you want to work out and generally a great place to have a drink and watch the majestic nile flow by. Plenty of greenery and away from the hustle and bustle of luxor. The Infinity pool is amazing and the greenery of the gardens makes you even wonder if you are in Egypt. As with countless others, we will most definately be going back. Finally, regardless of the political sitution in Cairo,Luxor is safe and needs to be visited. You will not be disappointed if go here.

Room Tip: Even the basic rooms are well maintained and very impressive.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Dear Ishtaq H from Northampton UK,

Greetings from Luxor! Thank you very much for having stayed at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and for having taken the time to publish your very positive holiday impressions about the Hotel and services on Tripadvisor.

Wishing you a very happy and prosperous New Year, we are looking forward to welcome you back on Kings Island, your home in Upper Egypt very soon, I remain with

Sunny regards from unique Luxor, and a save heaven for all!

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

I have been going to this hotel for the past seven years, I either go in May or October. It is good if you have children as it has good water features, however if you are wanted to go away with a partner or a girls holiday for relaxation this hotel is great. The staff are friendly and will do anything they can for you, they have fun recreational activities. It has two pools on just for adults which is lovely and peaceful and over looks the Nile and then there is a pool where children can play, there is little noise here and you can lie and look at Nile or watch the boats go by. The food is to very good standard the breakfast nice and they cook you eggs to your liking, they have themed food nights I have never attended one, the food served on the terraced is very nice and the food in it's restaurant is very nice too, remember to book a table on advance. The hotel is situated on a little island on the Nile and is around 10 mins from city centre so it's nice and peace full, there is some beautiful birds and wildlife here, many birds on the island will come right by you lounger whilst sunbathing but will not harm you. There are many fantastic activities to do whilst in luxor, there is a museum which has a real mummy in, you have to visits the temples they are stunning but go either first thing in morning or in the evening as it can be to hot otherwise. valley of the kings is a must see, and is truly breath taking. They also have hot air balloon rides which the hotel may be able to arrange ask for prices and details. The view from the hot air balloon is magnificent and you get to see the sun rise, the only downside is you have be up around 4:30am. The locals in the city centre on bother you when you walk past their shops, I would advise to just keep walking and not say anything, if they keep nagging I always say 'LA' which mean no in Arabic, if they know you are English they bother you move, they are normally taken back when you speak there language, also ignore the children asking you for money, if you give to one a loads will swamp you, just say 'imshee' this means go away. This is a beautiful county and one which has to been seen and experienced. ENJOY

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Travelbird247
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this review, 28 December 2011
Dear Travelbird247 from Coventry UK,

Thank you very much for having stayed on Kings Island last April and for having taken the time to publish your views about the hotel and your holiday experience on Tripadvisor.

I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your holiday in our hotel as well in the 7th year of visiting Luxor. I agree, the hotel is suitable for all sorts of travelers and ages, especially for families with younger children for which the flat grounds, the “Kidz Club”, the shallow pools with the water splashes, the play grounds, the Zoo and if we have a good number of VIK’s we built up a special evening buffet for them!

Bird watchers attention: one of our loyal “Regulars” has just counted 72 different species on the and around the island during his 2 weeks holiday this December!

One tiny little correction, we have 3 Pools, the new Horizon Pool with 2’800 sqm with the “Moga” Bar inside, the fantastic Infinity Pool with 2’400 sqm and the, adults only, Relaxing Pool.

Wishing you all the very best for the New Year and already looking very much forward to welcome you back on Kings Island, your home in Upper Egypt, I remain with