“An Oasis of Calm from the frenzy of Luxor”

Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Leaving behind the dust, squalor and detritus that besets modern-day Egypt, threatening even the magnificence and grandeur of its byegone civilisation almost, a bridge to tranquility leads us welcomingly to a sanitised paradise away from the harshly-driven and overladen mule carts, the brutalised horse-drawn buggies defying death and injury almost every minute from unthinking drivers who swerve round them.
This haven, this demi-paradise set on a bejewelled island surrounded by the mighty River Nile, is the above-mentioned resort. Your taxi draws up before the palatial reception hall where you register, agape at the magnificence and size - almost bordering on vulgarity - of the chandelier. We had been fortunate enough to earn "an upgrade" in our accommodation and were then taken by electric buggy through the impressive gardens, sweeping past trees and flowers of every sort imagineable and bungalows to some new-build two-storey buildings. Memories of the breathtaking size of the room lives with me still, one vast wall virtually all window sliding back to reveal a balcony upon which one could comfortably accommodate a drinks party for twenty souls - six of whom could have spent the night in the enormous bed, should they have felt so inclined.
The walk to the dining facilities, meandering through the varied accommodation - some looking older and smaller than ours - set in the colourful and well maintained gardens also led alongside the river to a gigantic cafeteria. I am not a fan of self-service but ,from viewing the heaped up plates that passed our table, I appear to be in a minority. The range and choice of food available could not be faulted but the ethos was not my idea of five-stars, I must confess, however, distinctly and outstandingly up-market from my other experiences of self-service on Britain's motorway system!
Three pools, one infinity, one with a sort of water playground atmosphere appealing to children and one adult-only, catered for all tastes and ages. Lounging could be indulged in almost anywhere on site and with the wall-to-wall sunshine even at the very end of December when we were there it was still delightfully warm, if not sufficiently so to encourage me to linger long actually in the water.
Birdlife was fascinating to observe and the range of varieties awe-inspiring. To see trees laden with white egrets roosting for the night and watch flocks of sacred ibis flying upstream at sunset was quite magical. Osprey and black kite were perhaps the most specacular sightings but I rejoiced at the intimate antics under my very nose of hoopoes and green bee-eaters.
Rameses, an extraordinarily well-behaved dromedary whose kind nature belied his haughty and superior look, was just one of a number of animals kept on the island, though no longer a Nile crocodile who apparently outgrew his enclosure - hopefully not at the expense of losing a few guests.
On New Year's Eve we were treated to an eight-course meal in the French restaurant that included attentive waiter service and that was first class. I also learnt at the end of my stay that we could have eaten from a limited menu in the bar each night served by waiters.
Would I go again? . . . . . Yes, but not next year.

Room Tip: Bearing in mind we were travelling at Christmas/New Year, we had been placed on the shaded side of t...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Epicurian007
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2012

Dear Epicurian007 from Oxford UK,

Thank you very much for your very positive & extensive Tripadvisor posting and for having stayed at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor over New Year 11/12.

I will keep my reply short and grateful as some people (not you) think I have nothing else to do!

We are looking forward to welcome you back home on Kings Island in 2013!

Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor

Write a ReviewReviews (2,211)

Reviewed 9 February 2012

As long time lovers and devotees of the Jolie Ville, we were anxious to discover whether the extensive building works, and economic and political pressures had changed the experience. Well, sadly, they certainly have.

The Jolie Ville has always been the best kept secret in Luxor. A haven of peace and civilisation, away from the all-pervasive clamour and noise of the down-town area. And it still is. Unfortunately, the hotel’s standards have slipped dramatically. Because Egypt has been the subject of so many negative press and TV reports, hotel occupancy is very low indeed. I’d guess the Jolie Ville accommodation was about 30% occupied while we were there. It may be that with its much reduced guest revenue they simply cannot afford the previous standards. To add to that, they have obviously spent millions on building new two-storey accommodation blocks, most of which appear to be unused. Their timing has been very unfortunate.

There is no doubt that it is Jolie Ville regulars who understand the site who get the best from it. Most essentially, they know which of the bungalow units to avoid.

The disappointing news:

The kitchen ventilation exhausts to the south of the restaurant complex. With the prevailing north wind, all bungalows to the south are blighted by appalling fried cooking smells, laced with onions and garlic at biblical levels. Bungalows closest to the vents also have to tolerate the noise of the extraction fans. Bungalows nearest the river are least affected. Bungalows to the north of the site are not so affected, although there is a row of half-built two storey accommodations close to the east. This part of the site is not being completed at present, but it will become a noisy building site at some time.

Food at the Jolie Ville used to be excellent. We experienced meat that was raw – not rare, but raw. We were also disappointed with dried-out chicken, over-cooked vegetables, and pastries that looked great but tasted of nothing. Overall, it is now desperately ordinary.

The be-suited counter staff in the vast and geographically remote new reception building are unsmiling, and have to be pressed to assist with any concerns.

The much-loved courtesy boat into Luxor town was out of service, and had been so for some time. The courtesy bus still runs, and is excellent.

On the positive side:

The old bungalow refurbishments are excellent, although you only get a shower, and no bath. (I do love to soak after a day sunning or exploring).

No other hotel in the area offers freedom from street clamour and car horns 24/7.

Despite worrying media reports, there are no security problems in Luxor.

With occupancy so low, excellent deals can be had.

The room, bar, and serving staff are very nice. Some are exceptionally good.

Suggestions: Order river excursions from Joleys in Luxor. Order a taxi to tour the West Bank sights (about E£150 for the day), rather than through an agent. Buy water in quantity from a supermarket (about E£3 instead of E£13 in the hotel).

Even though a less enjoyable experience than it used to be, this is still by far the best place to base for a holiday exploring the amazing antiquities of ancient Thebes. In my opinion, the Sofitel at Karnak comes a distant second.

This was our 5th visit to the Jolie Ville, and we have recommended it to many of our friends. So it is a great disappointment to have to report negatively on this occasion. In fairness I can’t award less than four stars, but it ain’t what it used to be. I expect we’ll return eventually, but we will now leave it to mellow for a few years.

Room Tip: Don't accept anything south of and close to the kitchens.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank John C

Dear John C from Southampton UK,

Thank you very much for your 5th visit at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and for letting the Tripadvisor community know about your view’s and observations during your recent stay. Your comments are very valuable to me and am very concerned about your somehow disappointed experience during your visit and will do all the necessary to correct and improve any shortcomings.

With regards to hotel extension and constructions over the past 2 years: most important to know is that all construction works have been either finalized or stopped since March 2011, hence no noise emissions anywhere in the Resort, also not in the future.

The kitchen and restaurants are centrally located in the Hotel compound and regrettably somewhere the exhausts must go? So far we did not have any complaints about kitchen smells but I will see if we can extend the ducts higher up.
About the noise level of the exhaust’s & A/C’s on the kitchen roof, we are planning to build “sound absorbing dry walls” around it all, as soon as cash flow permits.
The “Town Houses” in the north of the island are presently used for storage purpose and I have no intension or the money to finish them in the foreseeable future.

I am sorry we could not meet with your expectations concerning your food taste. We will put all our efforts together to improve this. I have high hopes in our new Executive Chef (with whom I have worked in previous years) who will start his duties on the 22nd this month.

A new shuttle boat is on the FF&E list since 2 years and will “Inasha Allah” be purchased again in the future. We miss it too…..! The former shuttle boat had engine failure again and again; hence I decided to take it off service for safety reasons.

70% of the “old” but renovated bungalow’s have walk-in showers 30% have a bathtub with shower; please ask for another room next time.

Promising, trying to catch the slipping standards now! before they touch ground, I remain with, Sunny regards from unique Luxor

Reviewed 8 February 2012

I returned from King's Island last Monday (Feb 6th) having previously been there last October. Once again all was perfect. I just wanted to add that when I checked in I asked at reception about upgrading my accommodation. (I had checked the cost prior to my trip and decided the price quoted was too expensive). The clerk at the desk told me the price but said he would be prepared to do a deal. We settled on $20 USD per night and I got an upgrade to one of the SUPERIOR DELUXE rooms. All I can say is WOW. I did not know that beds were made quite so big. I honestly had room/space to host a party, plus a gigantic balcony. The weather was fantastic and everything was peaceful. The staff as usual were kind, considerate and attentive without being overbearing. This time even the WIFI worked!! If you are planning a trip there I would suggest that you get your beauty treatments (manicure, pedicure, eyebrow threading, facial, body scrub, hair etc) once you get there. The new spa/treatment salon is located in the gym building and the prices are nothing compared to what you would expect to pay in the UK. Lydia and her staff are lovely and it is well worth a visit. As a female travelling alone, I can honestly say I felt 100% safe at all times. Any questions, please ask.

Room Tip: Ask about an upgrade to one of the new apartments if you want extra luxury.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank belazieth
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Dear Belazieht from Chafford Hundred,

It was great to have you back, staying with us on Kings Island this February again. I am glad you appreciated the “special single” upgrade price which we made for you because you have been staying with us so many times in the past. Our usual upgrading prices are as follows: Comfort Nile view room USD 25.- per room per night. Deluxe Room USD 40.-. Superior Deluxe Room USD 60.-. Jolie Suite USD 150.- per suite per night

Thank you as well for your very positive comments on Tripadvisor we are pleased to read that you approve upon the quality of our hotel services, especially the Beauty Salon and the Spa.

Yes, all rooms can connect now to the FREE OF CHARGE WLAN. As well we provide FREE OF CHARGE coffee/tea making facilities in all rooms together with all the other usual guest room amenities. Bathrobe & slippers only in Deluxe Rooms and Suites.

Thank you for mentioning that you have felt 100% safe at all times, people around the world seem not to believe that troubles are ONLY in Cairo Tahrir Square & Port Said, which are 700 kilometers away from Luxor! All the Tourist places including Aswan, Luxor, Sharm El Sheik etc are quiet & peaceful as ever!

Reviewed 7 February 2012

This was our third visit to the island in the Nile known as Kings Island and just 2k south of bustling Luxor. A haven of tranqillity the Jolie Ville bungalows are set in well tended tropical gardens visited by a variety of birds with black kites flying overhead and a lazy hour spent on a boat from the hotels own pier takes you up river where many more birds can be spotted including eagles.
The hotel has been recently upgraded and is the perfect spot for those who want a peaceful holiday with the option of a short ride into town for a spot of bargaining in the souk or sightseeing of the magnificent Karnak and Luxor Temples . The hotel provides a free bus service and there are also taxis which provide an excellent service. Food options at the Jolie Ville are
very good with a superb French Restaurant, La Fleur, and the new Kings Bar with a varied menu in addition to the Jolie Ville Restaurant with its superb breakfast buffet and evening 'themed' buffets and one of the best poolside restaurants we have ever come across where food chosen from an excellent menu (with daily 'special') is served in delightful surroundings.
The staff at the Jolie Ville are friendly and welcoming and do all they possibly can to make your stay a wonderful experience
and the number of fellow guests who have returned many times are testament to their success.

Room Tip: Wherever your bungalow is located you will get either morning or evening sun so ,if you have a prefe...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Dear Netta5070 from Andover UK,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and for choosing our Hotel/Resort to be your home in Luxor for the 3rd time!

I am very glad to read that you have enjoyed the food served in the hotel, be it the buffets or the “a la carte”, as this is always a bit of a difficult point. Established mothers of families of 5 or more might know of what I speak and how difficult it is to comfort everybody’s taste around the table. Imagine you have to satisfy 800 different palates from 10 different counties….!

Concerning the room/bungalow location which you mention in the Room Tip: The hotel is facing West. In the cooler winter months the rooms facing south are the preferred ones as they have the afternoon and evening sun. In summer although it is exactly the opposite and clients prefer to be in the shady northern side.

Wishing you all the best and already looking forward to welcome you back home on Kings Island for the 4th time in the hopefully not so far future.

Sunny regards from unique & peaceful Luxor

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Don't think twice, this place is spacious and well maintained. We enjoined every minute and everything was up to our expectations.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Manar80 from Beirut,

Thank you very much for your recent visit at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor; it was a pleasure to have you staying with us.
We are happy to read that you have enjoyed your holiday on our Island and hope to see you back in Luxor in the not so far future.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

When I went to Egypt I hadn't planned on staying there, but did due to flooding on the roads from Luxor to Hurghada. Our tour company, Thomas Cook, brought us to Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island to stay the night. They were amazing. Even though they were being flooded with people, who they were not expecting, they managed to get everyone rooms for the night. The staff was professional and courteous. The next morning they dealt with a few extra hundred or so people at breakfast and lunch. The thing I thought that put this place above anywhere else was the library in the lobby. They allowed us to borrow books to read while we waited for the roads to clear, without any charge, and their selection was pretty good. Most books were in English but I did see some in other languages such as french and spanish. The pool overlooking the Nile was another amazing aspect of our unexpected stay. Even though we were not technically guests we were treated as guests and it made a situation that should have been distressing and aggravating very enjoyable and restful. It was an accident for me to encounter this amazing hotel, but I would definitely stay here again when I return to Egypt in the future.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Dear Traveler0085,

Thank you very much for writing to Tripadvisor your Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor experience during your last holiday in Upper Egypt.

It was a pleasure to provide shelter to you and your group when having problems traveling to Hurghada due to bad weather. We use to see such situations always as an opportunity to promote and show our Resort to travelers who did not know about our existence before and maybe to acquire future clients.

It seems it worked with you ……… (well done guy’s!) and now we are looking forward to welcome you back on Kings Island during your next Egypt visit.

I see you have travelled to Brasov (Count Dracula’s Castle) last year! I was there too in summer last year, what a great place! Transylvania for ever!

Reviewed 3 February 2012

What a place, location cannot be beaten - superb views of the Nile and life on and around this wonderful river. Wonderful grounds and wildlife abound.
The hotel has everything you need for a relaxing holiday good food , accommodation and staff who cannot do enough for you.
Just a short drive away from the center of Luxor by taxi or the free shuttle bus - or a good walk if you feel up to it - a good way to see Luxor at a slower speed!
Three visits and just as happy there as the first.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank mahoochma

Dear Mahoochma from Llanelli UK,

Thank you very much for your visit at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and for choosing our Hotel/Resort to be your home in Luxor for the 3rd time!

Please let me know what we can do or add in the future to reach an “excellent” in your opinion? We want to keep our “Traveler’s Choice Winner Award” as well in 2013!

Wishing you all the best and already looking forward to welcome you back home on Kings Island for the 4th time in the not so far future.

Sunny regards from unique & peaceful Luxor