Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor
Ranked #3 of 58 Hotels in Luxor
temse, belgie
“good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2009

We spend our holiday there for the second time in 4 months. Why ?can you ask .
Well,
1- the setting near louxor is great; there is a lot to visit in and round louxor.
2-the garden is outstanding
3-the service is excellent
4-the infinity pool is the best
if you are looking for luxury; dont stay here; the hotel is not 5stars; for me its a good 4 stars hotel but the rooms only 3 stars;
We will return in winter time, for us it's a good choise, we love it !!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mopshond

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Reading
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

We have just returned from five days at the Jolie Ville and thought it was the ideal base. The gardens, pools and other facilites for activities are good, the rooms clean and comfortable and service excellent. The French a la carte restaurant is superb both in terms of quality and price. The hotel offers free wifi which is exceptional for Egypt, and regular boat and bus services into Luxor. Highly receommended for families and active couples.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Victoria02
Kuwait
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2009

We were two families with kids and stayed in three adjacent rooms in a bungalow, we had an upgrade to the delux rooms in the X bungalow (at our own expense!) but that was ok. Overall the hotel was quite pleasant, great pool, outdoor gardens, scenery, leisure activities, even a small zoo for the kids. The rooms were clean, well maintained, had all the things you need really from a in room safe to wireless internet connection.
Only couple of comments, the food could be better! Breakfast although was plentiful was pretty much the same everyday, so after the third day you kinda get bored! simple things like changing from beef to chicken sausages would have helped add some variety! We had dinner at the restaurant a few times and i have to say i wasnt impressed, the chef could use a change as they had a serious problem with how the food tasted!
Here's a bit of advice, head into town and get yourself a carton of water bottles, will cost you a fraction of what they are charging!
With regards to room service, it could be faster, but cause the hotel is so big, you would expect them to take a bit of time to deliver something to your room!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Docsam_kw
Augustenborg, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2009

My wife and I usually stay at the New Winter Palace but its now torn down, so we spent Christmas at Jolie Ville and had not a single regret. The free 5 course dinner on Christmas eve was delicious! Having travelled extensively in Egypt over the past years we must admit that the service and friendliness at Jolie Ville has no equal in the whole of Egypt. Equally the breakfast spread cant be beaten. The Facilities are great, we used the fitness centre every dag at no extra cost and I had an early morning run on the path round the island, which is marked for every 100 meters of its 2.5 km length. The great thing about Luxor is that the sun shines every dag and the humidity is so low that you can feel your body becoming revitalised. Well if your not into wellness you cant beat the trees and flowers at Jolie Ville, the head gardner will show you around for free. The question of tips is not so difficult when your aware that the lowest paid workers only get 10p an hour and school teachers a mere 25p. We use Luxor as our base for keeping an eye on the activities and new revelations at the various ancient sites in the area and in this regard and also for health reasons my wife went alone at the end of January and was welcomed back to Jolie Ville with great kindness, so much so that we are taking our 14 year old grandson with us at Easter. What better recommendation for young and not so young alike, even the presidents wife stays here!
As for water buy it in Luxor just behind the Aboudi bookshop, but dont pay more than 3Le for a big bottle.
Kind regards John & Gitte, Denmark

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Glenclose
Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2009

My Husband and myself have just returned from a lovely peaceful weeeks holiday at Kings Island. Our only regret is that we did not book for 2 weeks.
We understood from reports before going that the rooms were going to be dated but they were adequate and always kept very clean. After all with such a beautiful island to explore who in their right mind would spend much time in their room?
We booked bed and breakfast ( which had everything you could ever wish for ... and more!). We then bought a ticket for three nights evening meals; we used 2 in the main restaurant and 1 in the La Fleur restaurant. We repeated this again as we were so impressed with the food. We are a couple that cruise regularly in five star ships all over the world and we have to say that the food in the La Fleur restaurant is equal to any other food we have eaten on these cruises.
The main restaurant can be repetative but there is always plenty of well cooked choice and you can always get their free taxi to Luxor where food is much cheaper.
The staff are excellent and nothing is too much trouble for them.They are happy uncomplicated people who enjoy giving us a holiday to remember.
The bonus for us was the adults only pool, although the infinity pool was beautiful.
The walks, the sunsets, the views,the people all add up to a perfect holiday resort which is only 10 minutes from the centre of luxor. What a lovely place to return to after a busy day!
we met people who had been going back each year, some up to 20 years. We understand why and cannot wait to return.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the out dated bathrooms
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
4 Thank junebrianhartley
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2009

May I firstly point out that my boyfriend and I chose this destination to try and get a good balance of luxurious relaxation and culture. Neither of us usually choose hotel based holidays but fancied being able to escape the "pressures of life" and ironically money choosing half board basis. Having read the reviews over and over and over again on this website about the Maritime Jolie Ville and Luxor as a whole, we went with opens minds understanding that 5* in Egypt was not the equivalent of 5* elsewhere. That couldn't be more true. I hope this review gives you a balanced and honest opinion and I can truely say that I was saddened to come away with the feelings I had about this place.
Arrival- The arrival to the resort was swift and pleasant. Only a 25 minute transfer to the hotel from the airport. The reception area is minimalist but inviting, the staff were quick to assist you and check you in. We arrived after night fall and first impressions were good, the resort looks lovely at night.
The Room- Having read on tripadvisor that the rooms were some what dated it was to no real suprise that the room itself looked like a very cheap Amercian Motel room (as did the exterior during day light), this was initialy over looked hoping that the rest of the resort made up for this. Unlike others we did not have any problem with water etc so that's a bonus, i guess. The cleaners did a good job each day however on the one day that we decided to just relax in the room (after a 4 am start) we hung up the do not disturb sign on the door, and were disturbed THREE times by staff!!! Needless to say we didn't bother using it again. There are modern rooms "available" on sight but after one whole week we didn't find out where they were....
The Grounds- Beautiful, with a great view. It must take an enormous amount of effort to keep things green. Quite a bit of the grass was brown when we stayed (11th-18th Feb) so goodness knows what it would be like in the height of the Egyptian Summer.
Food- Being someone who loves food, cooking and eating out i must say the food was just OK. They hotel do try and create variety by themeing nights by nationality, but I'm sorry to say there was alot of repetition. This being said I do appreciate that it must be incredibly hard to please so may people of so many nationalities on such a large scale. So I do give them some credit. The A la Carte restaurant was very nice (but with very unusual wines!?! Not sure if it was actually off) the decor, food and service was great. :)
Service- On first impressions this seems good, coming across as friendly and attentive, unfortunately after a week of almost continual interuptions and questions from numerous members of staff it became intruisve to the "relaxing" nature of the holiday. As I said in the begining we went with open minds about the cultural differences we would experience however (being a little naturally cynical) it feels that there are very few workers who actually wanted to provide good service as a standard. Everything is about getting Baksheesh. Now I dont mind at all tipping for genuinely good service, but that means giving me a little bit of space too. It's all a little false for my liking, I must say.
Value for Money- This was the real down side to the holiday, on top of a substandard 5* hotel and (what came to feel like) constant hassle this place is extortionate!!!!!! They are obviously very savvy in the fact that they know you are pretty isolated from the rest of Luxor so can charge whatever they feel like! I have stayed in truely 4 and 5* hotels around the world and this "takes the biscuit" price wise. We had gone on a budget but wanted to enjoy ourselves. (obviously this budget was blown) To pay £1.90 for a bottle of mineral water (which you have to drink), nearly £16 for a bottle of "2 for a £5 from the co-op" wine and £1.50 for a luke warm can of pepsi you can see why this became disheartening. I understand that businesses have to make a profit but they also have consider the actual clientel they get. If the people who were staying there were very rich business men who have everything payed for through expenses then fair enough. Its just business ripping off business however the majority of people we saw and spoke to are just ordinary people who in the current ecomonic climate can't afford to be as lavish with their hard earned money as this place expects. They certainly believe they are to a standard way above the reality. Ok RANT OVER I appologise.
Facilities- some facilites were there however EVERYTHING was at and added cost, yet again, so we just kept to the poolside if we weren't out on a excursion (which wasn't often during the day). Unfortunately there was no dymanic to the evening/night life either. There is the two restaurants and one small bar. (who have the same two people singing everynight) Neither myself or my partner wanted nightclubs or kareoke but something a little entertaining and varied would have been nice. This being said the majority of the guests there are over 60 and the ultra mellow evenings probably suite them down to the ground and if that what you're after, you'll love it!!
Overall- I would not return to this hotel as it just was not worth the expence for me. To be totally honest I think one visit to Egypt as a whole is enough. I (maybe naively) expected alot more from this experience and have come away heavy hearted that I did not thoroughly enjoy it just because it cost too much all the time!!!

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank deanireid
Stoke-On-Trent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2009

Landed back from Luxor last night at just after 22:00, so here is my review. This holiday was a choice between Las Vegas (hectic) or Egypt (Hectic but the hotel meant we could relax) so we chose Egypt (Luxor) Having read hundreds of reviews about this hotel complex I was pretty sure that a concrete opinion was formed in my mind as to general cost, quality of the rooms etc etc. As a first time visitor to Luxor the main reason for travelling was to relax (hectic year for both myself and my girlfreind and only a very small window of opppurtunity to get away). My first experience with the Hotel was, "wow this is something special", the reception is very plush and the staff attentive. We ate in the main restaurant (half board) for the majority of our stay and tried out their al la carte restaurant (La Fleur). The quality of the food in the main restaurant was ok, everything tasting nice but slightly bland for my liking. The staff in the restaurant (Gomma and the head chef) couldn't do enough for us and the head chef even sent us over specially prepared meals. The breakfasts were also nice with a good selection of fruit and the usual continental style offerings. The first couple of days we relaxed and even sat and watched the sun go down to some very nice but misplaced classical music whilst my girlfriend was feasted upon by mosquitos (despite the repelents we bought). Our room at first was what we expected having read a lot of reviews on this site, very basic, almost like a Pontins chalet (but we put up with this initially). The problems with this hotel started to arise after a few days, firstly the constant, "how are you sir", "you want massage", you want more snacks, "you want to eat" was pleasant but after a while became very irritating, you couldn't even go to the toilet without being asked if you were alright (something which later would turn out not to be the case). Like I said earlier the staff were attentive but the reasons become very apparent when you go out of the hotel and discover the culture of pleasantaries for your hard earned cash. Another major point to make about this hotel is that it's supremely quiet and for 2 young people there simply wasn't anything dynamic enough to say about the Maritim. Yes they offer Tennis and Ping Pong (why!?) but when you're out and about during the day you simply can't take advantage of these facitlities. We stayed up until late most nights, well I say late we usually turned in around the same time as the other visitors, around 21:00 !! It has to be said that the hotel can't really do anything about this it simply is a place where old people like to visit (bless them). That said we did visit Fellas tent, which was tainted for me by the constant hassle of tipping and having both a video camera and stills camera shoved in my face every five minutes. The snake charmer had a 20L.E bill tucked into his palm and constantly kept pointing to it which says it all. Lambs to the slaughter lol. The most annoying thing about staying in the Maritim is the cost of items, drinks, food and the internet. I payed £3.85 for a pint of beer, £11 for a magazine (which I took back in disgust and the shop keeper tried to tell me I was wrong), over £7 for 1 hours usage on the slowest internet service in the world and I'm not even going to mention the cost of filling you slightly dodgy in-room mini fridge or the cost of room service. In conclussion the Maritim offers average food, staff that are so attentive you end up wanting to slap them, drinks and services that are so so so so expensive (more expensive than most UK 5 star hotels) and last but not least rooms that are quite simply unacceptable for a 5 + hotel (this is what Thompson gave it). And before you say, well 5 star in Egypt isn't 5 star in the UK I must point out that there are luxury rooms available there that are of a much higher quality and ! the major problem I had was that the hotel carries itself with a 5 star mentality but simply suffers from dillusions of grandeur. Some good things about this hotel. The grounds are beautiful that's about it ! Oh and on my last night (at Felhas tent) I got the Egyptian belly and spent my whole trip back very very ill. My overall conclusion of Luxor and this hotel is this, people of Luxor please realise that not all white people from Britain are loaded, some of us simply needed to get away and found ourselves at the mercy of some very cunning and unnacceptable behaviour. This place does nothing to restore your faith in humanity, greed greed greed !!!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple