“oasis away from the hassle of Luxor!”

Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Really enjoyed the stay and would go again to same hotel. It is situated away from the centre of Luxor and a taxi or shuttle bus is needed. The hotel shuttle was fine - free and punctual. Food in Joli Ville was good. We took B abd B and paid for the vouchers for half board allowing us to eat at the main restaurant and La Fleur. La Fleur was FANTASTIC!! We really looked forward to our meals there. Incredible service. Good guitarist too. Our room had been renovated and was fine. Shower was working well and water temperature was good. There was a kettle and tea and coffee every day. The fridge was most welcome. The hotel provided a small bottle of water on the first night after that we had to buy it. It's cheaper in Luxor than the hotel. TV had a good choice of programmes. However, the only wifi was in the reception area. This is being improved. The hotel grounds were beautiful. I loved the birds and was so pleased to see a hoopoe on my first morning. The staff were helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the mini zoo. Initially, I was concerend that the animals would not be cared for properly. How wrong I was. The camels Ramasses and Omar must be the luckiest in Egypt. The donkeys Ramba and Samba were delightful. The sheep had just given birth so plenty of new born lambs. The zoo keeper was friendly and proud of his animals. The infinity pool was marvellous. It is refreshing - needed a little bit of heating in December to make it comfortable. Plenty of seats around the pool though. Every sunset there was classical music on the rterrace. Lovely touch. Every morning at breakfast we watched a local lady baking bread in a traditional clay oven. It was delicious. Getting out and about was easy. The taxi drivers did haggle. We made our own way to Luxor temple and walked to Karnak temple from the shuttle drop off in Luxor centre. We took a half day taxi (120LE) to the valley of the nobles, (we'd done the Kings and Queens previously) and the driver suggested Howard Carter's house. The latter was enjoyable - it's a small museum and a little coffee shop. Lovely to sit out on the terrace there. Vally of Nobles had the usual hawkers ready to pester us. We took afternoon tea at the Winter Palace hotel. Worth a try. Do stay at Jpolie Ville.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,212)

Reviewed 17 January 2011

We've been to Luxor on numerous occasions and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Jolie Ville. It's an island location out of town enabling you to get out of the hustle and bustle.There are 6 courtesy buses daily into town so easy for a shopping trip or enjoy a meal. Much has been written about the on going building works on site but to be fair all facilities are up and running and the works aren't generally a problem. Food quality is good and a meal deal is available should you so wish. The a la carte restaurant is superb. There are 2 pools, one being adults only should you want peace and quiet and a reasonable amount of activities and services on site. Enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2011

The Jolie Ville was once a perfect little hotel, with friendly, laid back charm, glorious food, and a certain shabby chic. The new owners have, alas, decided to maximise on their asset, and enlarge the complex hugely. If you hadn't known it of old you would probably have thought it 'all right' this year, but it is in the process of huge change and the strain is showing. The staff seem to be stressed instead of the happy jokey crew they used to be. The food is barely edible some nights in the main restaurant, though the new room service food was very good indeed. The new bar lacks all atmosphere. The new apartments look as if they will be spacious and have glorious views of the nile, and the new pool and second bar when finished may develop a happy atmosphere all their own. I wish them well, but will look elsewhere for my Winter holiday next year.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 January 2011

We spent a week in the Maritim Jolie Luxor to relax after a Nile Cruise. There was a lot of building work going on, the reception relocated to it's new home and the bar closed down. despite all this we were enjoying a relaxing holiday......the grounds are wonderful, as are the swimming pools. The staff were friendly and attentive....and then there was THE SPA.......
As the public areas were stunning it was a real shock to enter the treatment room. Bare lightbulb dangling down, grotty changing area and oh....when I saw the shower. I still can't believe that I went through with this and didn't just leave. This is how it was...

I was shown to a small curtained off changing cubicle and asked to remove..."everything". Really unsure whether I had understood I tried to mime "everything" ; yes, I had understood.

Stage 1 The steam: No luxurious steam room, but a sort of zip-up canvas and plastic contraption with a chair inside which seemed to be connected to a kettle. Not enjoying this.
Stage 2 The scrub: Standing up, naked, not towel to retain my modesty, had Cyclax apricot scrub applied. At this point I did retrieve my pants, I really couldn't cope.
Stage 3 The wait: sit covered in this gunk in a chilly room for 20 minutes
Stage 4 The shower: Enter a really grubby shower cubicle, thankfully the horrible scrubbing brush was not to be used. The therapist was insistent that she had to hose me down. I was insistent I could do it myself. One small victory, I was left to get the sticky goo off my nether regions
Stage 4: The "relaxing" massage: Too traumatised to care by this stage and wanting the whole thing over, some oil was rubbed into my highly polished flesh
It's over, I have survived, clean but not relaxed or rejuvenated as promised. Probably scarred mentally for life...For some reason friends and colleagues find this tale hilarious. What cruel people I associate with!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank czyken
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I have stayed in Luxor on numerous occasions (cruise boat, Stiegenberger, Sonesta), but the Maritim Jolie Ville is my new favourite place. My husband and I loved it. Its quiet (despite building work taking place at various parts of the island), beautiful pool areas, and nice bungalows. We stayed in Bungalow A (room 1) - it had recently been refurbished and had flat screen, new bathroom, furniture etc. All good, though the finish on things like the seal around the tub and sink was not nicely finished - also there was no shower curtain - but these are minor points and I am sure the hotel will get these minor items touched up with time. We e-mailed the hotel beforehand and asked for a refurbished room - a lot have not been done yet and are a bit tired looking.

However, the location and helpful staff make up for these things - wonderful grounds, wonderful views of the nile, fabulous pools, and great food - La Fleur, their intimate, a la carte restaurant is some of the best food we've had anywhere, and we do eat out in fine restaurants in London regularly. The buffet was good too - though the layout of the tables and lighting in the buffet was not great at night - it was a bit noisy (echo) and lacked ambiance - I have seen buffet restaurants where this can be done better. Again this is a minor point though. the evening bbq was not held, presumably due to the cold night air. From the hotel map it looks like at least 2 more restaurants will soon be open (including an Italian eatery).

The staff were always helpful and friendly - they really appreciate it if you can say salaam aleikum (hello) or shokran (thank you) - but you should learn a few words of the local language wherever you go. You can book a cab from the hotel to take you sightseeing wherever you want to go.

My only caution for the moment is that a lot of building work still has to be done, so between now and May/June there may be some disruption at the hotel - but don't let this put you off - you can e-mail the hotel politely in advance of your trip and get them to put you in a quiet spot. This is still one of the nicest places to stay in Luxor and its usually very good value (we paid less than £350 for a week B&B with flights and transfers which is less than I've paid for some weekends in Europe). We bought their meal deal (3 meals for 375 egyptian - about £45 - which included 1 (3 course) meal in La Fleur where you can choose anything from the menu. We thought it much better than booking the half board with the travel company.

My husband liked their gym, which he said was compact but had an excellent range of equipment (he does the gym 2-3 times a week so I take his word as expert advice) - there was also a salon and you could get massages, pedicures, etc at about half the cost of London. There is also a little zoo and Ramesses the camel for the children (the zoo looked immaculate apart from a poor pelican with a broken beak, and the enclosures were nice and clean). There seem to be various activities on offer each day also if you want something extra to do - but Luxor is one of the greatest open air museums on earth, with close to 4500 years of history to uncover, so you will not be disappointed.

We will probably be visiting again this year - it was that good - and the weather never lets you down!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tarajs
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2011

Dear Mrs. Draper-Stumm, Thank you very much for having chosen the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor for your holiday this January.

Thank you as well for the very nice review which is highly appreciated. I am happy to inform you that in the mean time the missing Shower cabinets have arrived and are being installed this very moment.

Since Jan 10th, we gradually close all the remaining “not yet renovated” bungalows in the north of our island, 10 in total, to bring them up to the new and increased standard.
Despite having 160 rooms closed for renovation, there should be no disturbance from the construction as they are away from the rooms in operation. In operation are now as well our newly built rooms and suites in the south, the extended part of our island. The new deluxe and superior deluxe rooms have large bathrooms and a surface of 48/56 square meters. The new and luxurious “Executive Suites” have next to the fabulous view onto the river Nile a surface of 106 square meters and comply with all possible luxury you might wish for.

Yes, the evening BBQ is on hold until weather temperatures permit guests to sit outside again and enjoy the romantic views towards the illuminated mountains above the Hatshepsut Temple.

We have started construction (interior) on the new “La Fleur” & “Zigolini” Restaurants near the main Jolie Ville Buffet Restaurant which as well is getting the last interior touch ups within the next days.
Thank you very much for the positive comments on our food & menu’s. We are proud to provide authentic French food in the “La Fleur” and selected international buffets in our main JV Restaurant.

All constructions as from now are taking place on the north side of the island, away from the bungalows in operation. Even the new “Horizon Pool” is due to be taken in operation within the next 2 weeks I suggest.

The new Gym with state of the art training “Techno Gym” equipment overlooking the new “Horizon Pool” and the river Nile is open and in use for our esteemed clients since 4 days.

Thank you very much once again for having visited our Hotel, we are enchanted to hear that you have enjoyed your holiday Kings Island and are hoping being able to welcome you again very soon at your very home in Luxor.

With sunny greetings from unique Luxor I remain
With best regards
Urs Umbricht

Reviewed 11 January 2011

We write this on our last night (11th January 2011) at this excellent resort. Excellent place to stay for a relaxing holiday with beautiful gardens and very attentive staff, as mentioned in other reviews there is a lot of work going on around the grounds but we didn’t hear any noise nor did we experience any inconvenience during our stay, we stayed in P block which I understand is one of the refurbished rooms, this block also has free WIFI in the rooms.

There are two main restaurants to choose from, we only eat in the buffet style restaurant, which is also using for the buffet breakfast. The price per night is 175 E/pound (£19) you can also per book three dinners at a discount of around 22%, you can then choose which night and where you use the vouchers.

The breakfast and dinner food is excellent and plentiful.

The only let down on this holiday was Thomas Cook - firstly the flight, TC would make EasyJet and Ryanair look good, don’t expect ANY leg room, I travel all over the world with my job and this is by far the worse flight I have ever experienced in terms of leg room, Aircraft, very old plane and the way they charge for everything, you would expect on a 5.5hr flight some sort of flight movies etc, but you get nothing if you want movies you have to hire a PSP for £7.50.

Although a well known fact but if you book direct with TC for any excursions expect to pay 40% LESS for the same trip with a outside Travel Agent.
We will defiantly come back to Jolie Villa but will not be flying with TC ever again!

Book with confidence!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Haing visited this hotel at Nw Year 2008/9 we decided to stay this New year 2010/11.

A lot of work is being carried out on renovations and redevelopment but I must say they kept any noise to a minimum and we encountered no inconvenience whatsoever.

The island is quite simply a paradise. They have somthing on offer for everyone of all ages be it rest and relaxation, keep fit or simply enjoying the local and ancient culture. If all you are after is staying on the island there is plenty for you. If however you want to venture out there is a frequent free bus service and plenty of cheap taxies available.

With 2 restaurants, an a la carte terrace and a pool side terrace there is plenty of food options available on the island. If you want different dont be afraid to venture out into Luxor.

While there it was our daughters birthday. On returnng to the bungalow after a day in Luxor we found a beautifull birthday cake and card all laid out for her. A very nice touch we thought. Thank you to the Jolie Ville for this.

Would I recomend this hotel? Without a doubt. We cant wait to go back and are now looking at booking for this summer.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family