“"my favourite place in the world"”

Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed 22 January 2011

We returned home from our fourth holiday to the jolie ville completely relaxed as usual! I was on holiday with my husband and two sons aged 11 and 15 all of whom share my love of this hotel! There is however a huge refurb going on at the moment to the current bungalows and a completely new site being built which our holiday company did tell us about before our holiday. The management are ensuring all building work is kept to a minimum and we stayed in the hotel grounds every day and it did not disrupt our sunbathing at all, we were in s block bungalows which was quite close to the work but we were never woken by it. I have noticed on trip advisor a complaint regarding the praying at 5am, this is a deeply religious muslim country which i am sure plenty of others travellers to these countries will share my respect for, these people work in excess of 12 hours a day and this may be there only visit of the day to a mosque, people should realise before going to luxor that it is "real" egypt, not commercialised sharm and should respect their culture! Back to the hotel it is extremely clean, rooms cleaned daily,fresh bedlinen and towels daily if required, theres a very friendly gym with excellent staff, food is very good here however it is much pricier than in luxor, also drinks are a lot more expensive too! Excellent pool areas, one adult only quiet area, a kids pool and play area and the infinity pool over looking nile, very comfy sunbeds too, lots of space and green areas if you have kids that like to run around, play footie etc. The jolie ville is close to the valley of the kings, karnak and luxor temples you can walk to and we strongly recommend the hot air balloon trip over the valleys whilst the sun rises over the nile! The jolie ville is a 5star hotel for a reason its in one of the most fabulous settings, its staff are excellent, food and service are second to none in luxor, we have travelled egypt extensively over the years and this is the only hotel we return to!

Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,247)

Reviewed 21 January 2011

On our way into King's Island we passed a concrete delivery lorry coming out. It was, we quickly discovered, supplying raw materials for the building of another 300 or so rooms on the north side of the island which are months from completion. As for the rest of the site, it was like an Olympic village two weeks before opening: paths being laid, drains dug, lighting fixed, tennis courts re-surfaced, old bungalows being ripped out, old sanitary fittings and mattresses piled high. This is no refurbishment, this is a massive reconstruction. True, it is being done well. A huge new pool, new gym, new planting of shrubs and palms to match the beauty (and there is much of it) on the rest of the island, but will the infrastructure be able to cope with the greatly increased numbers of guests?
The dining room is already as big as a aircraft hanger - and lit like one. It can get crowded now so what it'll be like with two or three times the numbers is not difficult to imagine. The site is sublime, glorious, the Egyptians are sunny and welcoming but there is a sense of overdevelopment going on. All day we heard bulldozers, drills and tile cutters. Whether the management should have closed the place while work is in in progress is questionable. What is certain is that Hayes and Jarvis, our agents, should have warned us and given us the option to go elsewhere. They did not. We are hiring Rooster Coogburn to hunt them down and get our gold coin back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BucksTony
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Jolie Ville Hotel & Spa - Kings Island, Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2011

Dear Mr. Tony Bucks,

Thank you very much for having chosen the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor for your holiday in Upper Egypt this January 2011. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your holiday on Kings Island this January although being surprised that you were not informed by your TO about the ongoing construction on the island. We, the hotel, had informed all business partners ever since January 2010 followed by various updates during the year.

Please let me correct some of your assumptions:
In the north side of the island (outside of the actual hotel compound), where you saw the concrete lorry; we are NOT building another 300 rooms but 10 town houses each with 4 apartments, 28 x 2 bedrooms & 12 x 3 bedrooms, which are going to be sold to anyone who is interested in buying. We are expecting to have these buildings ready by mid April latest.

The all new dining room with presently 500 chairs, 2 free flow buffets & live cooking station, later on 600 chairs has just received some room partitions and wooden column covers tonight to add to the ambiance and make it more charming. As well we have a terrace with 300 chairs plus 3 other Restaurant with a total of about 300 chairs. You see this will be entirely sufficient to comfortably seat all our esteemed clients.

The isolated drilling and cutting noises you could hear in some places were most probably coming from the site where we are rebuilding and extending in stages our kitchens, bakery & pastry, the receiving area and the all new staff canteen & kitchen.

We are very pleased having had many happy holiday makers on our island during the entire construction period. This shows that it was the right decision to remain the operation ongoing during the renovation/extension of the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island and to guarantee this way full salary for all our presently 580 employees.

Wishing you a joyful, happy and prosperous 2011 and hopping having the pleasure to welcome you again in the not so far future on our fabulous island in the middle of majestic river Nile just a stone throw away from the ancient city of Luxor

With sunny greetings from unique Luxor I remain
With best regards
Urs Umbricht

Reviewed 20 January 2011

After getting back from my one week in the Maritim Jolie Ville - Kings Island Luxor, I was very surprised to see all of the reviews and how positive they are. I suspect something is going a miss here.

Problems:
1. Rude staff particularly at reception (mind you they were more rude to my girl friend but maybe this is a cultural/religious thing)
2. The site is currently a building site there is lots of unfinished work, roads are filthy, The view from my balcony was piles of used mattresses, piles of boxes and old furniture, looked like a tip.
3. We had one of the new rooms which was decorated nicely but had virtually no sound proofing. You could hear every single word being said next door. Televisions appeared so loud that I could not get to sleep until after midnight (appeared, but they were at reasonable volume)
4. Praying is this resort was broadcast over loud speakers. I found it most noticeable at about 4:30 pm and 5am (yes 5 am), when I was woken on numerous occasions.
5. Most frustrating was when facilities that appear on the Thomas Cook documentation as include, but then you find they want to charge you when you get there.

If you are going on holiday, one of the most import things is getting good sleep. This hotel fails totally.
The second thing would be that you feel welcome and not antagonized by the hotel and staff. They fail here too. You definitely want their religion shoved down your neck.

I'd stay away from this hotel, which is a pity because it has a wonderful location. Maybe management will eventually realise what is important to the customer and fix it, but from what I've seen the building will be going on for quiet a while here.....

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bfm_user

Dear Bmf_user from Dublin,

I am very sorry that we were unable to meet your holiday expectations due to the ongoing renovation and extension works in various areas of the hotel. This fact has been communicated to all our business partners ever since the works started in January 2010 followed by several updates throughout the year.
I know that you where informed upfront by Thomas Cook about this fact.

You write something is going a miss: you might agree with us that not everybody has the same scale of measuring, for some the glass is half full for others it’s half empty.

Yes, there are still ongoing works in the south of the island where we are building 10 town houses and renovating 160 rooms in 10 bungalows. On the south side were all our clients are accommodate these days, all works are done and we are on the way taking the remaining, new extension rooms into operation till the end of January 2011, hence no noise emissions anymore on that side.

To comment the pictures taken:
1. Before being able to start renovation we have to empty the rooms. All this material has been moved away after first collecting behind the bungalow.
2. Same like picture one. In the background one can see the finished buildings with the Deluxe & Superior Deluxe Rooms of our hotel extension.
3. Show’s a passage behind the receiving area where we store the equipment for the kitchen which is presently under renovation. This walk way is not for the public, the public walk way is about 15 meters left and the equipment is screened off.

If you don’t want to hear the “Muezzins” you might better avoid Muslim countries for your next holidays. There is not ONE loudspeaker on the island, but as the resort is built right on the Nile shore and water caries very well the sound, the prayers from the mosques on the other side of the river can, depending on the wind, be heard on Kings Island quite well. Personally I find it charming and exotic and this is part of the holiday experience.

I would very much appreciate to learn more about what exactly it is that Thomas Cook does mention as included and we, the hotel, wants to charge you for once you are here? If this is true we will immediately correct it and I apologize for such a mistake.

I also apologize that you seem to be incorrectly treated by our Front Office staff, but can assure you that nobody does anything or nothing because of cultural/religious aspects.
We are an international hotel, open to everybody, blue, green or pink and the world is warmly welcomed to encounter the fascination of the ancient Pharaonic land in and around Luxor and to make the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor his/her home in Upper Egypt.

With sunny greetings from unique Luxor I remain
With best regards
Urs Umbricht

Reviewed 17 January 2011

Really enjoyed the stay and would go again to same hotel. It is situated away from the centre of Luxor and a taxi or shuttle bus is needed. The hotel shuttle was fine - free and punctual. Food in Joli Ville was good. We took B abd B and paid for the vouchers for half board allowing us to eat at the main restaurant and La Fleur. La Fleur was FANTASTIC!! We really looked forward to our meals there. Incredible service. Good guitarist too. Our room had been renovated and was fine. Shower was working well and water temperature was good. There was a kettle and tea and coffee every day. The fridge was most welcome. The hotel provided a small bottle of water on the first night after that we had to buy it. It's cheaper in Luxor than the hotel. TV had a good choice of programmes. However, the only wifi was in the reception area. This is being improved. The hotel grounds were beautiful. I loved the birds and was so pleased to see a hoopoe on my first morning. The staff were helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the mini zoo. Initially, I was concerend that the animals would not be cared for properly. How wrong I was. The camels Ramasses and Omar must be the luckiest in Egypt. The donkeys Ramba and Samba were delightful. The sheep had just given birth so plenty of new born lambs. The zoo keeper was friendly and proud of his animals. The infinity pool was marvellous. It is refreshing - needed a little bit of heating in December to make it comfortable. Plenty of seats around the pool though. Every sunset there was classical music on the rterrace. Lovely touch. Every morning at breakfast we watched a local lady baking bread in a traditional clay oven. It was delicious. Getting out and about was easy. The taxi drivers did haggle. We made our own way to Luxor temple and walked to Karnak temple from the shuttle drop off in Luxor centre. We took a half day taxi (120LE) to the valley of the nobles, (we'd done the Kings and Queens previously) and the driver suggested Howard Carter's house. The latter was enjoyable - it's a small museum and a little coffee shop. Lovely to sit out on the terrace there. Vally of Nobles had the usual hawkers ready to pester us. We took afternoon tea at the Winter Palace hotel. Worth a try. Do stay at Jpolie Ville.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We've been to Luxor on numerous occasions and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Jolie Ville. It's an island location out of town enabling you to get out of the hustle and bustle.There are 6 courtesy buses daily into town so easy for a shopping trip or enjoy a meal. Much has been written about the on going building works on site but to be fair all facilities are up and running and the works aren't generally a problem. Food quality is good and a meal deal is available should you so wish. The a la carte restaurant is superb. There are 2 pools, one being adults only should you want peace and quiet and a reasonable amount of activities and services on site. Enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2011

The Jolie Ville was once a perfect little hotel, with friendly, laid back charm, glorious food, and a certain shabby chic. The new owners have, alas, decided to maximise on their asset, and enlarge the complex hugely. If you hadn't known it of old you would probably have thought it 'all right' this year, but it is in the process of huge change and the strain is showing. The staff seem to be stressed instead of the happy jokey crew they used to be. The food is barely edible some nights in the main restaurant, though the new room service food was very good indeed. The new bar lacks all atmosphere. The new apartments look as if they will be spacious and have glorious views of the nile, and the new pool and second bar when finished may develop a happy atmosphere all their own. I wish them well, but will look elsewhere for my Winter holiday next year.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 January 2011

We spent a week in the Maritim Jolie Luxor to relax after a Nile Cruise. There was a lot of building work going on, the reception relocated to it's new home and the bar closed down. despite all this we were enjoying a relaxing holiday......the grounds are wonderful, as are the swimming pools. The staff were friendly and attentive....and then there was THE SPA.......
As the public areas were stunning it was a real shock to enter the treatment room. Bare lightbulb dangling down, grotty changing area and oh....when I saw the shower. I still can't believe that I went through with this and didn't just leave. This is how it was...

I was shown to a small curtained off changing cubicle and asked to remove..."everything". Really unsure whether I had understood I tried to mime "everything" ; yes, I had understood.

Stage 1 The steam: No luxurious steam room, but a sort of zip-up canvas and plastic contraption with a chair inside which seemed to be connected to a kettle. Not enjoying this.
Stage 2 The scrub: Standing up, naked, not towel to retain my modesty, had Cyclax apricot scrub applied. At this point I did retrieve my pants, I really couldn't cope.
Stage 3 The wait: sit covered in this gunk in a chilly room for 20 minutes
Stage 4 The shower: Enter a really grubby shower cubicle, thankfully the horrible scrubbing brush was not to be used. The therapist was insistent that she had to hose me down. I was insistent I could do it myself. One small victory, I was left to get the sticky goo off my nether regions
Stage 4: The "relaxing" massage: Too traumatised to care by this stage and wanting the whole thing over, some oil was rubbed into my highly polished flesh
It's over, I have survived, clean but not relaxed or rejuvenated as promised. Probably scarred mentally for life...For some reason friends and colleagues find this tale hilarious. What cruel people I associate with!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple