“Best Ever”

ACHTI Resort Luxor
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
“Best Ever”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Having stayed at the hotel in the bungalow accommodation, everything was just fantastic.

Staff brilliant and even the cleaners were honest and respectful. One even found my partners jewellery hidden in a pillowcase..was found and returned, jewellery worth $20,000.00.

Restaurants were the best on site I have ever experienced.

Pool guys were brilliant. Bar staff everyone was superb. Will be going back asap.

Thanks also to our guide Said..(Sayeed) who kept us safe on our visits, you will find him outside the complex.

Local community very friendly and hospitable.

Room Tip: Bungalow rooms 5 Star accommodation and better than the hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew E
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at ACHTI Resort Luxor, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thank you very much for having stayed at your home in Upper Egypt during these most important days of the year with fewer tourists and for writing such a positive review on Tripadvisor.
It is our duty to take care of our beloved clients and to make their holiday the most unforgettable one ever.

Thank you for your praise to our Resort, we are looking very much forward to welcome you back home to Sheraton Luxor Resort

Nahla Youssef

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Driffield,Yorkshire
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Where to begin...........from the moment we arrived at the Sheraton we were made to feel so very special. The hotel staff from reception to gardeners could not have been more helpful and welcoming. The hotel is sat overlooking the Valley of the Kings and I never got tired of taking pictures of the breathtaking sunsets.

We flew from Gatwick with Thomson and would like to make a special mention to our Rep: Gabriel who could not have been more attentive. He visited us every day and was on hand 24/7 if we needed him. He remembered everyone's names and I have to say is a credit to Thomsons.

We stayed in two bungalows by the pool which was lovely, they were spacious and air conditioned and cleaned thoroughly every day.

I want to say a massive THANK YOU to:

Mustafa Bakyr- the pool area waiter who was so lovely and kind and helped me speak Egyptian and who took the time to talk to us.

Hegazy (Sorry if I've spelt your name wrong)m and Ahmed - the pool attendants who saved our sunbeds for us every day and never allowed us to burn in the sun!

Magdy Wasef- the assistant restaurant manager who made us a pack up for the airport and always had a smile and made sure our wine was chilled (He is just the best!)

Samir Nageup- the bar manager who makes the BEST Long Island Ice Teas in the world and for allowing the girls to cheat at pool!
Mostafa El Taher - the bar man who entertained the girls and was extremely tolerant and for the chocolates!!

Ramadan- the sweetest, funniest waiter ever! for bring desserts to our rooms on an evening for supper! and for making us laugh.
The gardener (Never caught his name!) for bringing me a bunch of flowers while I was sunbathing.

The Little crazy Italian chef and Swazye (Hope I've spelt it right!!!) for the best pasta ever

Hamam- For teaching me to speak Egyptian/Arabic and for wanting Joseph to ring you to say goodbye to us

Joseph- 'I kill Joseph!' for making us laugh at breakfast and lunch

Sabir (I think that's right) - the restaurant manager who made me cry cos he was so sad to see us go.

There are so many more but I can't remember their names!!! but they all made our holiday memorable and very special.

If you are lucky enough to go, please learn a couple of phrases in Egyptian, it makes all the difference!

The Valley of the Kings is spectacular but take a hat, sunglasses and plenty to drink as it is on the edge of the desert and VERY hot.

Camel riding is fun and I would recommend it to everyone.

What is really sad is that thanks to the media, the tourist industry had been killed in this beautiful city. It needs to be promoted and more people need to visit this little piece of heaven on earth. It is VERY safe and we felt comfortable venturing outside the hotel. Yes, you get hassled to begin with but firmly say No Thank you and you are left alone.

We loved the Sheraton so much we are hoping to go back at New Year.

Room Tip: Bungalows are brilliant and right by the pool. However, if you want a view of the Nile you need to s...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank madkaz2
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at ACHTI Resort Luxor, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
First we would like to thank you for having time to share your reviews for the recent experience at Sheraton Luxor Resort.It is our utmost pleasure to read that your holiday with us was most enjoyable and our team members spared no efforts to make your stay memorable.

I personally met with the team and passed your thank you note on to them. Your appreciation is the token, which will support our continued strive for excellence.

Also i will pass your nice comments to Mr.Gebril (Thomson Rep.)

We will be more lucky to host you again soon at your 2nd home Sheraton Luxor Resort.
Mooloolaba, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Just returned from a visit to Egypt, Luxor. After staying with friends, booked into the Sheraton for a couple of days. Great location and staff were very helpful. Stayed in a double room set up for 2 adults & 1 child. A little bit cramped but worked out. The view overlooking the Nile and the Valley of the Kings was breathtaking. Great location, hotel is looking a little dated in comaprison to its competitors, but none the less good value for what we received.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank clark b
Thank you for posting your review and for having your recent stay at Sheraton Luxor Resort .Feedback from our guests allows us to constantly improve our service.I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your holiday and you were happy with the staff services, location

Looking forward to welcome you again soon

Best regards
Toronto
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

From the musicians at arrival to the proximity to the Nile, this hotel really lived up to what I expect from a Sheraton. The food at the restaurant was delicious and staff were always welcoming and friendly. The room was a little small, but made up for it with its view!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank sarenput
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at ACHTI Resort Luxor, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
First, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience
at Sheraton Luxor Resort and for having taken the time to complete our on-line guest questionnaire.
I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your holiday and you were happy with the staff services, location and the hotel facilities and our team members spared no efforts to make your stay memorable.
Hope that above meet with your requirements and hope to serve you soon at our hotel .
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Having stayed here a number of times previously, and having some very good memories over the years, we chose the Sheraton over what has become our usual hotel (the Nile Palace) in Luxor to celebrate my partners 40th birthday. In fact this was the last hotel I stayed at with my parents, who have both passed away now, a holiday that provided some very good memories indeed. HUGE MISTAKE!
Do not stay here at any cost, you will receive a much better deal & much better service ay any equivalent hotel in Luxor, such as the Nile Palace.

All my good memories of this hotel have been wiped away by the worst hotel experience in all my years of travel, with the addition of the extraordinarily bad service received from "customer services" since our return, in attempting to have them address the issues we experiences. This has in fact equated to NO SERVICE at all!
I will list just some of the problems we encountered, as I could be here all day otherwise, which we still await proper response to from SPG:

As an SPG Gold member, we can expect to receive an upgrade on arrival. Occupancy at the hotel was extremely low, yet we virtually had to bet for what our membership entitles us to. However, we did not receive all of the benefits that went along with the upgrade, even though the SPG website stated we did. When we addressed this matter with the hotel manager, it was just a case of "no", with his manner appearing to be that of intimidation.
Our room had a shared patio, with two sets of doors leading to it. Neither locked. It took 3 days to have the doors repaired. For the next 6 days, with constant reminding that this was a security issue, housekeeping insisted on leaving one set of doors open! Complete lack of care or consideration by the brand.
Towels & robes were old & full of holes.
Mini fridge (described as mini bar) did not close.
Restaurants/roomservice - Appear to open when they feel like it. Trays left outside rooms for up to 5 days. Very poor selection at breakfast, compared to what we have come to expect in Egypt (even this hotel), but did include a very brown looking fruit salad that was starting to fizz.
Toilets in public areas were also only appeared to be open when they felt like it.
The hotel exterior - looks dirty & rundown. The pond that is seen on approach is left almost empty, but for a few inches of stagnant water. The garden paths are covered in dead leaves & crushed dates. The large red light displaying the hotel name at the entrance, was never lit properly for the entire duration of out 2 week stay. All in all, a very poor first impression to give guests!
The pool - this is a simple one - CLEAN IT! It's very clear that the pool has not been emptied & properly cleaned in some time. The tiles in the dealer end of the riverside pool are coated in some quite thick green algae. It's just not hygienic!
Pool service - although the waiting staff in the rest of the bars & restaurants were very friendly & helpful (when open), the pool was a different story. As soon as they saw movement, they would disappear.
Airconditioning in room - some nice switches & dials that seem only to be for show. Reality, on or off, freezer or sauna.
Hot water in the room - we were lucky if we only had to wait 10 minutes from turning on the tap for this to materialise.
Reception staff & Management - always very welcoming & friendly when approached with a request or issue that required little to no effort on their part. In all other cases, which was the majority, they showed no level of customer service what so ever.
Karen's Birthday - Over 25 years of travelling to Egypt, having enjoyed a number of my own birthdays there as well as those of others,I have learnt that the Egyptian people like to celebrate. In other hotels for example, a cake has been presented at the very least. I accept that this should not be expected, but given such a significant birthday, I don't think it would have been too much to expect some sort of acknowledgement from the hotel having been made aware of the event well in advance of our arrival???

We found our experience to be so bad that we had to "escape" the Sheraton twice, at further expense, in attempts to maintain sanity. The first escape was to spent 2 nights at the Sofitel Old Cataract in Aswan, the second being 1 night at the Hilton Spa in Luxor.
Although both of these hotels are considerably more expensive options over the Sheraton, I would highly recumbent both. Neither could be faulted. Service at the Hilton was particularly good.

We experienced even more problems that those listed, but think that is enough to be going on with. On returning to the UK we decided these should be brought to the attention of SPG/Sheraton, and after a dozen or so emails, have only managed to become increasingly more frustrated by there shockingly poor understanding of customer service & apparently complete lack of consideration or care for their guests.
To date, we have not received any proper reply or response to address any of the issues raised, just the generic "auto" apology stating things are being looked in to. There have been a couple of replies with a little more - either telling us the case was closed in error, when in fact another case had been opened, or just responding to the last email rather than looking at all the notes.
One other reply was received directly from the hotels assistant manager, and this has been the most insulting/frustrating of all - our initial complaint email made if very clear that we would not return to the Sheraton Luxor. His email attempted (poorly) to offer explanation to the issue raised around our upgrade, one point of around fifteen raised. In addition, we were offered a complimentary 3 night stay at the hotel on our upcoming visit to Luxor. A couple of things wrong here - what upcoming stay? Not something I had mentioned at any point. Also, anyone working in the travel industry in Luxor is quite aware that direct flights to Luxor are only on a weekly basis from the UK, making this rather an empty/useless offer!

As I mentioned at the top of this review, I have some very fond & special memories, that in part, staying at this hotel in the past helped to create.
However, staying on this occasion has only served two purposes - spoiling those memories, and spoiling my impression of not only the Sheraton brand, but that of Starwood in general.
After this experience, I can't see myself staying at any of their properties in the future, and I have certainly given up recommending them to anyone I know.

If you have taken the time to read this review and are considering visiting Luxor, please don't let it put you off of visiting the City, just the Sheraton.
Luxor will always be fascinating place to visit, and despite all there has been in the news, it is still quite safe! The weather is good, and the people friendly, but when we stay away, they struggle.

All the other hotels I have mentioned above, as well as others we are familiar with in Luxor have still managed to maintain their very good levels of service & cleanliness, and are still good value. So please consider them if going to Luxor.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Lee T
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at ACHTI Resort Luxor, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for your stay with us. We genuinely value our Guests’ comments and regret when their expectations are not met., we are able to seek knowledge and growth to better serve our guests, all your comments will be put into consideration and very seriously and will be addressed to the relevant departments.
May I take this opportunity to assure you that our hotel always seeks to maintain the very highest standards of quality and service and it is our sincere.
Hope that your recent experience will not deter you from visiting Sheraton Luxor Resort when you are next in Luxor.We look forward to welcoming you and being of service to you on many occasions.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Great hotel on the bank of the Nile ,lovely rooms ,very clean and air con , two great pools .Fab staff that cant do enough to make your stay special .We where there from 16th to 23rd of July this year 2014 .I would like to give a special mention to the lovely lady that was behind reception when I handed back our room keys at 5pm wed 23rd July room 226 Mr and Mrs Elston , she was so helpful and could not do enough to ensure we,d had a good stay ,many thanks from Archie Elston .archie.elston @gmail.com

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Archie E
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at ACHTI Resort Luxor, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
First we would like to thank you for sharing your heart review for recent visit to Sheraton Luxor Resort. Also to thank you for nice comments for the hotel and staff and we are very pleased to hear that you and your partner enjoyed your stay and very proud that we made your stay an enjoyable remarkable stay,
I will pass myself your nice comments to our staff in order to engorge them to deliver good servive to our guests.
Looking forward to welcome you and your partner again at Sheraton Luxor Resort.
nahla youssef
London
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I probably chose the wrong time to visit Luxor, it was extremely hot, hence I spent a lot of time at the pool. The hotel lacked atmosphere and I wasn't impressed with the room - expected more from a Sheraton.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Happy_journey21
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at ACHTI Resort Luxor, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
First of all we would like to thank you for having the time sharing your reviews for your recent visit to Sheraton Luxor Resort. Alsoo would like to extend our sincere apology for unprofessional experience might be caused and your valuable points will put in consideration in our nearest development program.
Again we are sorry and hopee to welcome you in order to redeem ourselves.