“Really good , We could not fault this place.”

Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Crawley
“Really good , We could not fault this place.”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

This is a really good hotel; we could not fault it in any way.our room was very clean, Staff were very helpful and friendly, Food is very nice too. swimming pool is kept clean. It is very close to all local restaurants, shops etc... in fact all sops are hardly closed as they are all up to very late hour if not to the next morning.
Strolling on the river Nile bank was the ultimate as this hotel is right there! :)

Room Tip: Amazing place.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vian j
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor, responded to this review, 21 October 2012
Dear vian j

Thank you for your nice feed back , we are happy you enjoyed your stay and the food and hope to host you again soon at our hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Roccastrada, Italy
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This hotel offers excellent value for money if you book a partial Nile River view room. My room on the 9th floor looked out over the river (almost directly) and I could see the Valley of the Kings lighted at night. In the day there were hot air ballons floating almost into my window over the river and in the afternoon the Feluccas were mesmerizing and heavenly to watch sail by from the room's balcony.The hotel has fantastic breakfast buffets, don't book a stay without booking the breakfast buffet. Dinner buffets are to be avoided. The Italian restaurant is not very good especially for an Italian. Japanese restaurant is famous but I didn't eat there, who wants to eat Japanese food in Egypt except probably the many Japanese who stay at the hotel. There are many restaurants on the street outside or nearby the hotel for dinner or only a short taxi ride away.The rooms and baths are very large, mattresses less than satisfactory (ask for a bedboard). Hotel is swathed in marble! Pool is circular and difficult to swim laps in. Pool area is not well maintained. Hotel has a dock from which you can board a felucca provided by the hotel for a fee. The view of the Nile at sunset from pool area is heavenly. Hotel staff very friendly and professional. The hotel shares the same river frontage as the Iberotel and new Four Seasons hotel as well as the Club Med site. Their Business Center has brand new air-conditioned chauffered cars for rent at very low prices for private day excursions to Edfu, Dendara and Abydos and Kom Obo and Aswan. The trip one way by private car to Aswan was less tha 200 Ep. The all day private car excusrion to Dendara and Abydos about 160 Ep. The driver /drivers (2 for Dendara/Abydos) made me feel like a prince. They waited for me as long I needed to visit the sites. I rented a bicycle at the other side of the ferry landing to visit the West bank sites on two separate days, avoiding all the tourists and having most of the sites (Tombs of the Nobles, Ramesseum etc.) to myself except for the valley of the Kings. One of the best hotels in Luxor (along with Hilton (much more expensive, & far away), Four Seasons(extremely expensive), Iberotel (lesser quality but better pool))

Room Tip: Visit the Business Center for private chauffered car excursions at VERY LOW COST. These private car...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank efgmlr
Sydney
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed at Sonesta St George as part of our great "On The Go" tour of Egypt. It was, by far, the best hotel we stayed at. There was a world of difference between the Sonesta's 5 star service and amenities and other 4 star hotels we stayed at - certainly more than one extra star's worth! The service was excellent, the staff friendly and helpful.

The room was lovely with everything immaculately clean, comfortable and in full working order. We did not have a view however since we were only staying one night this did not matter. Other rooms had views of the Nile and pool area which you could request, I guess, but given you are likely to be out and about most of the time then it isn't really overly important having a view.

We heard from other tour members that the buffet breakfast was amazing. Since we had a very early morning start to do the balloon trip over Valley of the Kings (well worth the early morning - one of the best I've ever done - spectacular) we missed the buffet breakfast but the hotel made quite a large breakfast box for us, which was nice.

The pool area was amazing, complete with a bar, cafe and bookcase from which to choose reading material. This area also overlooked the Nile so it was a great setting.

I would highly recommend the Sonesta St George.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thirsk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2012

i have stayed at many of luxors hotels in the last 25 years but the sonesta was everything you could wish for, the room was very clean and all the staff were friendly and helpfull, the food was wonderfull and i am very fussy with food.I would recomend this hotel to anyone and my friends have been and all agree the hotel was perfect.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank kayleigh h
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor, responded to this review, 14 October 2012
Dear kayleigh h

Thank you for your lovely review , we are really proud you enjoyed your time and liked our food and hope to have you as a regular guest at our hotel
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Sonesta St. George is a 5-star hotel on the Nile. From the exterior it is not too impressive but walk in the doors and you will be pleasantly suprised! Nice elegant hotel lobby, has restraunts, store for tourist gifts, bank, fitness center, and the pool is amazing with a huge sun-bathing area facing the Nile! They have everything you could possibly need!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank LizardKing7
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Dear LizardKing7

Thank you for the lovely review , we are happy you liked our hotel and restaurants , we hope to host you again soon
Lulu1982
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I have just returned from a week at the Sonesta.

On arrival we had a quick check in but sadly the door on the room I was given didn't lock properly so I had to go back to reception and wait a while for them to re locate me but they did first try and tell me that the room that I was originally in was fixed which it wasn't! I was put off by the reception area as it looks tired and there was a lot of people sat around smoking etc which just didn't make you want to stay there for long. The rest of the hotel fortunately was not like this.

The rooms are immaculately clean and the housekeeping service very good they change your towels twice in a day if needed and do a turn down service. The rooms however are very noisy, we had noise all through the night and day from the water plant next door, shouting and lorry noise plus people in the corridor at all hours as the trips start very early so I found it hard to sleep and I am a heavy sleeper.

The pool area was great and the service amazing Nagha is so attentive and a pleasure to be around, all the staff would go out of their way for you which made the holiday.

Breakfast was a good selection of hot and cold food and always tasty, we ate at every restaurant in the hotel and were very impressed by the standard of the food, in Luxor in general we found the food quality to be very high. I would especially recommend the Japanese for the novelty. It was my birthday while I was there and reception said they would arrange for a cake the night we ate at the Japanese but sadly it never came!!

When you step outside you really appreciate the sanctuary of the hotel and do get a lot of hassle it is nothing to be scared or worried about but does get annoying. We independently visited the sights and used a taxi driver called Bodi who was based outside the hotel. I would say to be firm with your price and have a plan of what you want to do to get the best experience. The drivers do offer to take you to a lot of places but sometimes you can end up not doing what you want to and feeling slightly disappointed.

I would say the good out weighs the bad at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
Dear Lulu1982

Thank you for your nice review , we are sorry if the noise of the guests disturbed you , it happens sometimes during busy period at our hotel , in the meantime we are happy you enjoyed our services and the staff , we hope we have you as a regular guest at our hotel
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My partner & I have just returned from a 7 day stay at the Sonesta & have already been looking into booking another holiday at this fantastic hotel.
This was my second visit to Luxor but the first time staying at the Sonesta & I am so glad we chose this hotel.
Check-in was smooth & efficient & we were booked into a side Nile view room which we were happy with but will choose a front Nile view room next time.
The room was a decent size with a nice big comfy bed & sufficient drawer & wardrobe space to be able to hang all our clothes. The bathroom was a good size with a decent shower.
Bedding changed daily & towels were changed twice per day. The bed was turned down & the room tidied early evening whilst we were out which was a nice touch.
The air conditioning was good if a little noisy but it didn't impact on my quality of sleep nor the partners' (who is a light sleeper).
The pool area was nice with plenty of sun loungers, a decent swimming pool with a small 'childrens' pool (but no noisy children which was bliss), 2 large hot tubs & towels are provided for around the pool. Drinks, ice & light snack foods are available around the pool. The portion sizes are large enough to share between two people & are of a good quality standard. A special mention to the staff around the pool who were efficient & friendly - Nagha, Micheal & Youssef. We noticed a huge difference to the waitressing service on Sunday when Nagha was on holiday - she is so attentive without being obtrusive & Micheal always seemed to be there when I needed to put the umbrella up or move the umbrella etc.
We ate in the hotel a few times - the Japanese restaurant was excellent & fantastic value for money if booked & the bill opened between 5pm - 7pm giving you 30% off. The Tepenyaki menu was excellent with a fantastic chef.
The breakfast selection was ok with a little bit of something to suit most people.
The Italian restaurant was of an OK standard. Nobles bar was a nice place to sit & have a drink of an evening.
There are money changing facilities within the hotel & 2 ATMs which is good.
The views of the Nile & the Valley of the Kings mountain range are excellent from the 'deck' area.
A nice personal touch was a chocolate birthday cake presented to me on our second night as at check-in we had mentioned that the holiday was my birthday present.
All in all a fantastic hotel with friendly & courteous staff & we will be visiting again very soon for sure.

Room Tip: Request a Nile view room if they are available
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma W
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Dear Emma

I am very happy to read such a detailed and nice review , it is our pleasure when we see that one of our guests enjoyed his stay and that our staff contributed in making the guest feel comfortable , We will pass on your nice comments to Nagha and Michael and we are also happy you celebrated your birthday in Luxor , we hope to have you as a regular guest and have our warm wishes from Sonesta Luxor