“Nice rooms and staff, bad wifi”

Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

I actually enjoyed my stay here, except that the free wifi in the lobby didn't work, and the paid wifi didn't reach my room and kept forcing me to re-login.

It's a shame that wifi was such a pain because it was a very nice hotel otherwise. Having difficulty connecting to the Internet is a real problem.

The Sonesta was much nicer than the Stienberger Hotel next door.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank CarlOakleaf
badramani, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear CarlOakleaf

Thank you for this lovely review we are happy you enjoyed your stay and sorry about the Wi-Fi but it is sometimes out of our hands and the service provider has trouble with their network and connection. We hope to host you again soon at our hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,563)

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Ihave just returned frm a weeks break and the hotel,the staff,the house keeping team, the food,the facilities&nobles bar.Ihave had the best experience of my life the staff make you so welcoming and make sure that your ok and are always on hand to do anything for you.their english is very good. The housekeeping team leave petals on your bed&animals out of towels(very talented).had a very gd massage too for under £15GBP.Please dont be scared about any trouble as it doesnt effect the hotel in anyway&thompson is resuming flights frm Gatwick.their is no hassle.Iwill be back again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kate H
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Kate

Thank you for your nice review , and for recommending our hotel to the readers , we are happy you enjoyed your stay and waiting for another one soon

Reviewed 21 March 2014

After my latest trip to the Sonesta I want to comment about the staff at this hotel. I know from experience at other resorts, that hotel staff can help to make or break your holiday .Sonesta staff invariably help you to really make the most of your time there. Always courteous, pleasant and willing. This holiday the housekeeping team were,for me, the stars. I was suffering from back pain and I asked the housekeeper supervisor on my floor, was it possible to change the queen sized bed for twin beds so that I would not disturb my husband. With a big smile he told me there would be no problem at all and would I like a matress topper as it may help with pain!When I returned to my room the beds had been changed and the room left immaculate. While I am on the subject of the housekeeping people, I was touched when some evenings I returned to our room to find flower petals scattered on the beds and towels shaped into animals and always the room in pristine order. To change the subject somewhat,If there is anyone reading this who would like to visit Luxor but are put off by the stories of war and fighting, Please, please make that visit you will not be sorry.There is no trouble, no fighting, no war in Luxor. It is at least as safe as your own home town.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sheder

Dear Sheder

Thank you for this beautiful review , we are very happy that you recommend our hotel and Luxor too , I will pass on your nice comments about the staff and the housekeeping to the management and I am sure they will be very happy to hear that they contributed in making your vacation a memorable one . We hope to see you again at your second home

Reviewed 21 March 2014

It has been about 3 years since I last stayed @ the Sonesta and it was nice to be back. Although there was cut backs in the way the restaurants and lighting were operating due to the lack of clients, the staff in the bars made up for the this and of course the breakfasts were as usual very good. I should mention also the lads that service the rooms. The cleanliness and presentation can only be described as excellent. Do try the boat trips that leave the hotel, very good value for money and the crews are very professional. Please visit Luxor, there are no problems and the locals need tourists. Now is the time to visit Egypt with Thomson direct flights from Gatwick operating again, I will be back soon!!! .

Room Tip: Pay for a Nile view - well worth it!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank wardforceone
Reviewed 6 March 2014

A group of us stayed at the Sonesta for 16 days during February.

Firstly, after a long Journey from Gatwick to Hurghada and 4 hours through the desert, we arrived tired. The reception staff were brilliant and check in was flawless. Within minutes we had our rooms and our luggage had been taken up to join us.

During our stay, we stayed on the fifth floor with a side Nile view. The even numbered rooms are on the sunny side of the hotel, looking South down the Nile which means we enjoyed some fantastic evenings on the balcony, looking up the Nile, over at the West Bank, as the sun went down, a fantastic photo opportunity.

Breakfast was superb with lots of food choices, some of them a little unconventional but beautifully cooked. Most mornings I enjoyed mini burgers and vegetable moussaka, with bread and cheese. Absolutely gorgeous, followed by a pancake with fresh oranges and honey! What a way to start the day if you intend to skip lunch while out temple and tombing. There is also eggs, cooked anyway you like them, cereal, toast, fresh fruit ect, for people that prefer a more traditional breakfast. The staff were extremely attentive and tea and coffee flowed throughout.

After early starts we managed quite a few afternoons by the pool, where the pool guys are extremely helpful. They know if you need more shade, your umbrella moving or a fresh towel, before you have had time to think about it yourself. The outdoor service for drinks and food is also fantastic. Nagha and the boys do a fabulous job of making sure you have everything you need. Nothing is too much trouble. A non alcoholic cocktail and a pot of latte later on in the afternoon, either whilst reading by the pool or on a sun lounger on the pontoon, watching the Nile flow by seems so decadent and a true pleasure.

We enjoyed a few sunset drinks down by the Nile and can recommend this as a lovely way to spend an hour with a wine or beer, once again, a fantastic photo opportunity.

I should also mention the Nobles bar for a nightcap and the staff that serve in there. We had a great time.

I must also give a mention the the staff that clean the rooms. When coming back after a dusty morning out, to find your room nice and cool with a beautifully made bed and fresh towels is like a luxury. The guys and the lovely lady who clean the rooms are so hard working and absolutely nothing is too much trouble. We have been to the Sonesta many times over the years and really look forward to seeing them as they so cheerful and welcoming.

I would also like to give a mention to the desk staff and the management of this hotel. Everything is run so smoothly and while I am sure they are exceptionally busy with their work, everything so carried out so smoothly and they will absolutely bend over backwards to make sure they accommodate your needs. The management particularly make everything seem so effortless, whilst making sure you have a wonderful stay.

During our holiday we went on a 3 night cruise, which was wonderful, but on our way back from Aswan, everyone said they could not wait to get "home", to the beautiful beds, which are like sleeping on a lovely white clouds and to see the staff again.

There are a couple of things I will have a gripe about, the first is nothing to do with the hotel itself, but when we arrived back from the cruise we spent 3 nights in a 6th floor room. These rooms are absolutely beautiful, they have a jacuzzi bath, excellent decor and a massive balcony, (even better for taking the sunset photos!). Unfortunately 2 of our 3 nights were spoilt by Egyptian families also on holiday, who twice at around 2am, were laughing and shouting in the corridors right outside our room, whilst their children ran up and down the corridor, screaming and shouting. On both occasions I had to go out and ask them to be quiet so we could get to sleep. However, once we were awake getting back to sleep was difficult, but as I have said the hotel cannot be blamed for this.

My other gripe is about smoking in reception. At times we simply could not sit in there because it was so smoky. No one wants to go out for dinner smelling of cigarettes, after spending 5 minutes in reception, while waiting for friends to join you. The smoking was also a problem as a lot of it was carried out right outside the lifts, so anyone coming and going had to walk through a cloud of smoke. If the reception area is a smoking area then a certain part of it should be designated for smokers and the rest a non smoking area in my opinion. Then you do not have to walk through a cloud of smoke, but can choose to avoid it.

That said, our holiday was made a fantastic experience and I would truly like to commend the staff for all their dedication and hard work.

Well done Sonesta St George!! We cannot wait to return to our 2nd home.

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Acesupporter
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear Acesupporter

Thank you for this detailed beautiful review , we are very happy to hear that our staff helped in making your stay comfortable and memorable , our aim is always to satisfy our guest and make them feel at home . We are waiting for a second visit very soon

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I belong to an Egyptology Group and visit Luxor a couple of times or so a year. Just returned from a 16-day visit in February 2014 staying at the Sonesta. Luxor is well located to base yourself from, and we hire local company, Love Egypt Private Tours, for a minibus and driver, and guide aswell if needed, to tour antiquity sites.
I have stayed at the Sonesta many times, and I feel I’m coming home. The hotel is old school, a characterful reception with glorious chandelier, lifts that would not look out of place in a Tomb of a Noble, smashing room with a comfortable bed, decent sized bathroom and lovely balcony on which to watch the sun set on the West Bank. The staff are most welcoming, from the chap on the door security, the reception staff, to our cleaner, the serving and the pontoon staff. And the best Breakfast Buffet served in a lovely restaurant overlooking the Nile, with outside tables if you prefer. A charmer will serve you your own omelette with shattah (chillis!).
The hotel is unique in having a pontoon at the back of the hotel which sits on the Nile so there is plenty of space to sunbathe in a lounger round the pool, or my preference to sit facing the Nile and West Bank opposite, or at a table for a sunset drink. Not being a pool gal, friends say it is cold although the Jacuzzis are warmer. Wifi is a bit hit and miss, not available in the pool area but is in the Reception and Nobles bar.
The hotel has a number of local restaurants nearby which are worth a visit, their own may be are closed in current conditions of few visitors, though Japanese one may be open. Do take a small torch with you and keep it on you as there are regular electricity cutouts. The Sonesta has a generator which quickly kicks in but if you’re on your way to a local restaurant or in one, the ever-resourceful Egyptians will have candles and cook your dinner on gas.
Nearby restaurants include Jewel In Nile, Lantern, Secret Garden (daytime only) which all also serve British food which some of our Group like; on St Joseph’s street a couple of Italian restaurants, Taste of India. For authentic Egyptian, I like Al Hoots fish cafe but ask them to tone down the salt, and their fish soup is totally brill. Hire a local boat from the Sonesta pontoon (don’t forget that torch) and cross the inky black Nile for a smashing authentic Egyptian meal at Masalla, the top floor restaurant has a spectacular view of East Bank. Ring ahead and order some Egyptian wine or beer. A really useful shop on St Joseph’s is Arkwrights, it means getting by the hassley caleche drivers, but has everything from water, to adaptors to mosquito repellent, late night ice cream (well, until about 10 pm) and will provide an excellent packed lunch next day for 35LE if you’re out all day.
The Sonesta is fabulous, it has old school charm, a great location, a pontoon which gives you access to the West Bank or a lovely place to just sit and write up your journal and have a drink. What’s really nice is that it is a hotel that Egyptians frequent too, I’ve met some lovely folk from Alexandria and Cairo down to Aswan on their holidays too. Just love it and can’t wait for my next visit there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maggie_NHam

Maggie M

Thank you for this lovely review , we are happy to read such positive comments specially from a guest with an Egyptology background like you , it is our honor to be up to your expectation . We hope to have you as a regular guest and we wish to see you soon

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Very good location, staff will do all they can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
Close to restruants, taxis at the door, boats at the pontune to ferry you across the Nile, perfect.Karnak and Luxor temples about ten minutes away
West Bank sites take aprox thirty minutes.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Azhimover
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Azhimover

Thank you for this lovely review we hope to see you again soon