This hotel has clearly seen better days. Maybe it was a 5-star once, but it sure isn't now. Some of the amenities (tennis court, gym, etc) they advertise were not available when we stayed there in late December 2013, and there were so few guests because of Egypt's current political problems that the restaurants were deserted. You would think that this would make them grateful for those guests who did come, but not at all! Reception staff were grumpy and clearly didn't appreciate the disruption to their lives wrought by the arrival of a client looking to check in, not even a suggestion of an upgrade even though occupancy was about 10 percent.
The room was ok, with a good, firm king-size bed and a decent shower too. They've obviously cut back on their TV cable bill because there were about six stations available, and no good sports or movies ones -- we had to go to one of the pubs across the road (Murphy's or The King's Head) to watch a match). The minibar fridge was empty but functioned as a fridge, but they still had a notice for guests instructing them to refrain from bringing in food and beverages from outside "for your safety"!
Best of all was that the tea or coffee making facilities had been replaced by a notice to guests saying that these facilities could be provided...for an extra fee!
The wi-fi provision was that infuriating scam -- notionally available for free in the lobby and for an exorbitant fee in the room.
(We didn't care because if you have a spare, unlocked smartphone you can just buy a sim from Vodafone, Etisalat or Mobilnil, add 10Gb of mobile data for maybe 120 LE (€12) and switch on the phone's 'mobile hotspot'.)
The breakfast is at best a 5/10. No pork sausages or rashers, of course (no live-and-let-live here in Egypt -- they're as bad as the Israelis, where you have no chance of a rasher either!), and bizzarely, instead of the freshly-squeezed orange juice that you can get for 4 LE on every corner, they have some watered-down, sweetened kiddie-juice.
But the best thing about the place by a mile is the pool. It is heated to 28 degrees, right on the Nile, with lovely, attentive staff and a good coffee machine and bar. You could happily spend a couple of days just lounging around that pool, listening to the melodious muezin on both sides of the river calling people to prayer...
The area isn't bad. You are always mobbed by taxi and caleche drivers on leaving the hotel, but if you just cross the road and go up what look at first like dark side-streets you'll see there are lots of half-decent restaurants and shops around. The Aboudy bookshop is a must-see, and it is less than 100 metres from the front door, next door to Murphy's pub. Up the parallel street, the one with the fake 'Tesco' at the bottom, is a great laundry service (maybe 150 metres up on the right, ironing board visible from the street).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Our Steigenberger Nile Palace Luxor Hotel, It is a 5 stars hotel has a unique location amidst relics of a 7000-years-old civilization, in the heart of Luxor, only 1.5 Km. From the temple of Luxor and 10 Km. From Luxor Airport. Guests can enjoy a marvelous view of the mighty Nile in addition to the cliffs of the Theban Mountains on the western bank where the valley of kings and Queens lie. The hotel offers a variety of service and facilities, 11 conferences and break out rooms that can host up to 2000 participants, among other things. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Steigenberger Nile Palace Luxor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Steigenberger Nile Palace Luxor Hotel Luxor
- Steigenberger Nile Palace Hotel Luxor
- Nile Palace Luxor
- Luxor Steigenberger Nile Palace
- Le Meridien Luxor
- Nile Palace Hotel Luxor