“Best Hotel I've ever stayed in!”

Steigenberger Nile Palace Luxor
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I'm recently back from a fabulous holiday in Luxor, Egypt where I stayed at the Nile Palace. Luxor doesn't need my recommendation but I was really blown away by the level of service and wonderful staff in this hotel. Over the years, I've stayed in many a 4-star hotel but I've never felt the desire to write a review of one. The Nile Palace stands out from every hotel I've ever stayed in. Many thanks to all the lovely staff and my best wishes to them all. Everyone should go to wonderful Egypt!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
32  Thank Stephanie P
Steigenberger, Front Office Manager at Steigenberger Nile Palace Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments and for choosing us for your recent vacation. We are happy to see that you truly enjoyed the major aspects of your stay such as the great service from our team members and, of course, our magnificent city…
We do hope we can have the pleasure of welcome you again soon.
Kind Regards
Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,038)

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We returned to the Nile Palace for the 8th time earlier this month, having had our December 2013 holiday to the hotel cancelled by our tour operator due to recent events. So to return once again only to be immediately greeted with a "welcome back!" from the Door, Concierge and Reception staff was reassuring. This is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in, and nothing has changed since our last visit in 2012. The hotel is ideally appointed to access all that Luxor has to offer. The food is excellent, the hotel is extremely clean, the rooms comfortable and the gardens around the pool are colourful and beautifully maintained. All the staff are and managers are very friendly and helpful, nothing is ever too much trouble. Some staff though excel and these include Salah the doorman, Ashraf, Ahmed & Ibrahim the pool men who looked after us extremely well each day. Hamdy in the Lebanese Restaurant is consistently attentive, Mahmoud the waiter in the Nile Bar is efficient and courteous. We are always very sad to leave as we consider all the staff to be our friends. We are very much looking forward to our next visit to the Nile palace this coming November.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
33  Thank Rebecca M

Thank you very much for taking time to share with us your feedback regarding your recent stay here at Steigenberger Nile Palace Hotel. We are delighted you found our hotel one of the best you have ever stayed in. Your wonderful feedback and nice comments are greatly appreciated and passed onto the staff concerned.
We are really happy to read that, as regular guests, you had another memorable stay with us and our friendly & helpful service provided by our team exceeded your expectations.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you to your ‘second home’ in November….
Kindest regards

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We were booked to stay here for 2 weeks in 2013 but due to circumstances in the region we had to leave after 1 week. This is the first time that we have been able to return. The hotel has a great central location with good views of the Nile & West Bank, easy access to local shops, train station, museums etc.

Check-in was smooth & efficient with your bags taken promptly to your room while yo enjoy a complementary drink & cool face cloth. We were allocated a Courtyard view room which was spacious & clean & has a balcony looking over the main courtyard & restaurants. A Nile view room is recommended if views are important, although at an extra cost. Housekeeping staff were friendly & efficient with fresh towels offered every morning & evening if needed. The Laundry service was reasonably priced & was collected from the room & returned on the same day once bagged

Breakfast is served buffet style & has an excellent variety of food to please every taste, including cereals, fresh fruit, bread & pastries, hot selection, eggs / omelettes, cold meats & cheese & Egyptian food a special mention to the Sous Chef who gave me personal instruction on the correct way to make a traditional Egyptian breakfast & to Hassan who just kept smiling & bringing the freshly brewed coffee. You can enjoy the breakfast either in side or out on the patio.

The Swimming pool area was manned by extremely friendly staff, in our case we were looked after by Ashraf & Ahmed, with towels, umbrella's, food & beverages all provided. There are 2 pools, a main swimming pool & a children's paddling pool, both open until dusk. Stunning views of the Nile & West Bank from this area. Falucas

Restaurants during this visit were unfortunately limited to the Casa Di Napoli Italian, El Tarboush Lebanese & the Nile Bar. The Italian offers the usual mix of pizza, pasta etc, portions are not huge but sufficient & presented well. The Lebanese offers a good selection of freshly grilled food & the mixed grill is definitely worth trying (95 LE). The Nile Bar offers a basic snack menu with sandwiches, burgers, salads etc. The Club sandwich is a feast. Local beer is priced at 31LE, a good selection of wine, spirits, soft drinks & cocktails were offered. Mamoud in the bar was very polite, efficient & brought you crisps / nuts to enjoy whilst enjoying a cold beer watching the sun set over the West Bank. The Nile Bar offers free Wi-Fi, although at times very slow. Due to the lack of guests the excellent Thai & Buffet restaurants were not open during our visit, the only fault we had was the lack of choice unless you are willing to enjoy the local restaurants.

The hotel offers a newly renovated Spa & Gym located near to the tennis court on the top floor. She who must be obeyed had an aromatherapy massage that was very well received & recommended. The staff from the Spa regularly visited the pool area to discuss what is on offer & even give complementary foot massages to entice you to visit.

Guest Relations team were friendly & knowledgeable, a special mention to Radka who took the time to discuss the various room options available & put a fantastically sweet pastry in our room, a welcome & surprising touch.

Check out was once again smooth & organised, rooms can be kept past the 12 noon check out time at an additional cost, in our case $20 to 5pm.

Overall I would highly recommend the Steigenberger Nile Palace, the staff are friendly, the rooms clean, food above average & the beer cold. My only criticism would be that due to the lack of guests currently in Luxor, the choice of food on offer was limited in the hotel. The management & Staff all took the time to speak to you & make you feel welcome.

Room Tip: Nile & Pool View rooms are available at additional cost if views are important, Courtyard rooms...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
31  Thank MBW3004

Thank you for sharing your experiences here on Trip Advisor.
It was our honor to have you as our guests and we are proud to know that our staff, services and facilities exceeded your expectations.
We are delighted you spent relaxing and pleasant time in our swimming pool area and found out the staff there very helpful and friendly..
We are all looking forward to welcoming you again in September.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

This is a nominal 4-star hotel which I would give 5 stars despite the fact that it has had to close some of is restaurants due to the drop in customers because of the general tourism drop in Egypt. We spent three nights in this hotel and wish we could have stayed longer. We were with a tour group so I don't know what they paid per night but I doubt it was over US$100 for a double including breakfast and dinner. Current room rate without meals is US$50.

You pay for internet in the room but from what I heard it is slow and possibly sharing the usual 64KB link to Cairo that supports free wifi in the lobby. This hotel had a lot of guests and the free wifi was so slow it was practically useless. However, that was also our experience outside Cairo (eg in Aswan and Hurghada).

The room was spotless and there was every amenity. CNN on cable. Double bed was two singles but thats pretty standard in Egypt. My only real complaint was the air conditioning didn't seem to pay any attention to whatever temperature you selected eg 22C was like 10C and everyone in our group who didn't already have colds from prior air conditioning problems got them here.

The breakfast was great, cook to prepare custom omelettes, good choice of other hot items plus all usual cold cuts, cheeses, fruit and pastry. In better times there were at least five restaurants from which the Nubian room survives only for breakfast then for other meals you have a choice of Italian or Lebanese both of which we found good. Filet beef in the Lebanese is real filet unlike a lot of other restaurants in Egypt. My partner was particularly impressed by the swimming pool outdoors beside (but above from) the Nile which unfortunately closes at 6 which conflicts with long all-day tours of the nearby temples and monuments eg Valley of the Kings.

All the rooms have balconies and there are two lobbies plus a huge courtyard with chairs and benches so you can always find somewhere to have a conversation outside the room. In this respect the hotel seems like something from 100 years ago but in fact it seems to be quite new, almost certainly built since 2000. Outside the main entrance you can book horse-driven carriages from Egyptian 20 pounds but in fact the main streets are a short walk. For foreign exchange there are two banks plus Thomas Cook across the street but between the banks is a
jewelry shop which gives you better exchange rates although you won't have official receipts when leaving Egypt if you want to exchange money back on exit.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter, every room has a balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
31  Thank jmeem42016

Thank you so much for reviewing your accommodation experience following your recent stay at our hotel.
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the wide variety of food served in our restaurants. Our chiefs are well experienced and we are pleased that you found the filet beef delicious. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your room and also our swimming pool area with its stunning view over the Nile.
We have taken note of your comments about the air conditioning.
We do hope you will be able to return and stay with us and we are looking forward to welcoming once again..

Kind Regards

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed at the Nile Palace 2010 and 2011 and loved the place. The food was good and plentiful at breakfast. Staff were always helpful.We had a few lovely meals in the hotel restaurants as well. We were booked to go 2013 but due to circumstances travel agents cancelled our holiday. Can't wait till all sorted out and we can return again to The Nile Palace.

Room Tip: Courtyard view was nice to sit on your balcony looking over on an evening.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
32  Thank Taiann2014
Steigenberger, Front Office Manager at Steigenberger Nile Palace Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel to be your home the last year and also the years before.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your holiday with us.
We would like to reassure you that our beautiful historical city is safe and quiet and all the tourists are welcome to spend memorable time here.
Thank you for your positive words about our food service as well as our attentive and friendly staff.
We do hope to see you again in the nearest future.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Arriving around midnight with friendly reception but later on we discovered all the personel we met was very friendly and helpful, special thanks to the room cleaning man, the pool-towel guys and the lady from guest relations. Because we did not came by a travel agency ... our questions were all answered by her ( I believe her name is Radka). greetings fr Belgium.

Room Tip: Our room had a view to the patio above the Lebanese restaurant... so no direct sun in the room which...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
32  Thank Erik C

Thank you for posting a great review here on Trip Advisor.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we have passed your comments on to both our Reception Staff and the Guest Relations team.
It is hot here in Luxor during the summer months and we are pleased that you found your Courtyard View Room to your liking as it was cooler without the direct sunlight. We also do have side Nile Views Rooms and the ones on the south side of the hotel also do not have direct sunlight on the balconies but have the benefit of fantastic views across the Nile to the West Bank and the hills beyond.
We very enjoyed hosting you and hope that you will be able to visit us again very soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

This place slipped from 4 starts to 2 stars in just 3 nights. I had high hopes for the Steigenberger, and on the surface I thought I was in good hands. But after just 3 nights, Steigenberger proved to me that they have a LONG way to go before they are deserving of 4 stars. It wasn’t any single big problem, but the combination of little things adding up that soured the experience for me. I’ll start with the positive things: the location is great. The hotel is situated right on the water’s edge of the east bank of the Nile. Not all rooms enjoy nice views, so make sure to request a view if that matters to you. Our room was large enough to accommodate my wife and me plus our 3 very young children. The swimming pool was pleasant, and my young children really liked the kiddie pool. In fact, the kiddie pool has a better view of the Nile than the adult pool. I found the boats and feluccas right there at the property to be very convenient. Rather than make the drive all the way down to the bridge and then back up the west bank to see the sites on the western side, we arranged to meet our guide and his van on the other side of the river after chartering an inexpensive, 15-minute, smooth boat ride across the Nile. The breakfast wasn’t too bad, and it was the only in-door option for dining. The hotel also seemed to be relatively safe and secure. Now for the list of little things that added up to a less-than-pleasant experience overall. The beds are stiff and underwhelming. We were told they would be 2 queen-sized beds, but they turned out to be lackluster full-size mattresses. The room had an empty mini-fridge that is basically useless. Why? Because there are not even any bottles of water provided. Not complimentary. Not even available to buy. I guess you would have to call room service if you don’t trust the tap water. Further aggravating matters, I bought several bottles of water at a shop across the street to have on hand and ready to go in the early morning hours when we were planning to set out for a day exploring the west bank. When I attempted to bring my little bag of waters, crackers and cookies into the hotel, the security guards tried to deny me entrance to the property. Right there by the magnetometer they pointed to a large, ridiculous sign that forbids any guest from bringing outside food into the hotel. The sign claims it is for health reasons because they can’t guarantee the safety or quality of outside food/beverages, but it’s painfully clear that the real intent is to monopolize the market and force you to buy the same things from their shops at a grossly overpriced rate. The guard blocked my way, threw a finger in the air and pointed me in the direction of the front desk. What were they going to do? Arrest me? Throw my family and me out onto the street? They hardly had any guests there to begin with, so I was shocked to be treated so poorly. I doubted they would “enforce” their no-outside-food policy so I argued – yes, argued – with the front desk until he finally allowed me to bring in my goodies because, as he said it, this was my first offense and I didn’t know better. Unbelievable! This is no way to treat a paying guest! The ATM machine in the lobby was broken. It would not dispense money. I asked the front desk (before the argument) to call the bank and have the machine serviced. He assured me it would be working, but it never did work the entire time I was there. Luckily, I brought with me sufficient L.E. for our needs, so I managed to get by. But where cash is king, it’s foolish for the hotel to not have an operating ATM machine. For lunch and dinner, there are no options for cool, comfortable inside dining. There are two main restaurants, Italian and Lebanese, in the courtyard area; they’re more like patio restaurants exposed to the outside. The food was good, but we were sweating in 38+ degrees Celsius (100+ degrees Fahrenheit). No air conditioning, just some ceiling fans. I think I got the most upset when I asked the front desk about their swimming pool hours. We had just returned from some amazing sight-seeing and our children wanted to cool off in the pool. I was hoping that we might eat supper first, and then spend the evening relaxing in and beside the pools. Nope. They told me that they close down the pools at 5:30pm (1730 hours) to treat them with chemicals, etc. The sun didn’t even set until around 6:30pm! How obnoxious! What hotel closes their pool at such a ridiculously early hour?! Certainly not a 4-star hotel, or even 3-star hotels. I’ve gone on long enough. So I’ll wrap up. In sum, as long as you’re not expecting a luxurious, pampered experience, then this hotel is okay. But if you’re expecting something higher-end, something in the 4-star ballpark, then forget it. You’ll be very disappointed. At least we were.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a Nile view, even if it costs more. Also, not all balconies are the same. Some...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank JustMyTwoCentsWorth

Thank you for taking the time to post a review
We are pleased that you found many positive things in and around Luxor as well as within our hotel
In respect of your comments about the bed provision.We provided what your travel agent asked and and paid for. They were aware of the provision within a Courtyard Room. You may not be aware that we were contacted, by your travel agent, two days before your arrival requesting an upgrade. We are not sure why this request was made ?
We also take your point about the mattress not being to your liking and would say that this is not usually an item which is a source of complaint. We do, however, provide differing pillow options which some guests find useful.
Within the hotel we have a dedicated Guest Relation Team who have a desk in the Main Lobby/ Reception Area. The team can also be contacted from the room by telephone. One telephone call to this team and we would have filled the Mini Bar with a collection of drinks and chocolate together with a supply of packed snack (Crisps etc). Currently we do not supply complimentary water on arrival but this is being reviewed together with the cost implications.
The health and welfare of our guests is of paramount importance to us. We have in the past experienced health issues with both contaminated food and water being sourced outside the hotel and then brought in. For example, there have been incidents where unscrupulous traders have refilled used mineral water bottles with 'tap water'. Relatively recently some bottle water companies have been taken to court for water which was 'unsafe'.
As an example of the care we take within the hotel, all mains water used in our kitchens is again filtered and then passed over UV light to ensure it is a safe as possible. All raw vegetables, fruit and salads ingredients are also soaked in a specialised solution for 30 seconds again to ensure it is safe for out guests to consume. In our restaurants outlets we provide antibac hand gel for our guests and staff, again, as additional health safeguard.
In respect of the actions of the Security Staff referring you to Reception was simply that he did not have good enough English to be able to explain to you the reasoning behind the hotel policy of suggesting that guests should consider using sources with the hotel.
As you point out the ATM within the hotel was not functioning and we made repeated calls to the Cairo Bank to have the problem resolved. We are very sorry for the inconvenience but this was outside our direct control. Perhaps you were not aware that there were two banks very close to the hotel - one across the road and the other some 30 metres to the south of the hotel entrance. In addition there is an ATM is the Sonesta Hotel some 150 metres to the north of the hotel
We are sorry to learn that the outside dining options were too hot. Had the Guest Relations team been made aware we would have been able to suggest a couple of air conditioned options for you and your family.
In respect of the close times for the pool area, again we are sorry to learn that the timings were not suitable. As you mentioned we do close the pool in the early evening in order to add appropriate treatments and to back-wash the filtration systems. It is an addition safety measure as the lifeguard provision also finishes at the same time.
We appreciate that there were elements of your stay which did not meet your expectations, however we did upgrade you and your family from a Courtyard View Room to a Nile View Room free of charge. We hope that this perhaps helped a little towards your overall enjoyment of your stay.
We are not perfect and we do make mistakes so we would always encourage our guests, at the time, to make contact with our Guest Relations Team if there are matters which need to be addressed in order to maximize your enjoyment of the stay with us.
We hope we have been able to shed some light on your experiences with us and hope that we are able to host you again soon.