Emilio Hotel
US$98
US$91
US$91
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 December 2010

I wrote a review of the Emilio in 2007 because I thought I must have stayed at a different hotel to many of the reviewers of the time who were giving it, in my opinion unwarented bad reviews. I happily returned to the Emilio a number of times in the following couple of years although I did not stay there in the last 18 months. I returned in Nov 2010 for 2 weeks.

Sadly it is not quite the Emilio I remember. Everything looked familiar and most of the staff were the same but alas something was sadly lacking. In the end I put it down to lack of motivation and self esteem. There was nothing that was out and out wrong and yet there was a lot that just wasn't right and could so easily have been put right. Little things like explaining where and when breakfast could be taken and being welcomed to the dining room on arrival. Making sure that tables in the breakfast room were always properly cleared once guests had left etc.

Comments from my first review, with my latest comments in [ ]
My stay in April 07 was delightful and I would return.
~Convenient location.[No change there and the views are even better since the recent demolition].
~Helpful ,friendly, caring staff, [General feeling that many are sadly lacking in enthusiasm and motivation]
~Clean facilities. [Standards have dropped, not drasticly but enough to be noticed by a returnee]
~Full size bath and shower. [One morning no hot water at all, other times trying to regulate the shower temp was quite an art often being either scalding hot or cold]
~ Extra towels when required. [No problem here. I was a single in a twin but always had 2 clean sets of towels and soap]
~Fridge in room. [Thank goodness they are still there and a sensible size too]
~T.V.in room.[Couldn't get it to work first try. Asked the room maid for help - solution I discovered at end of day was she'd unplugged fridge and plugged TV into that socket! I did find another socket close enough to the TV to use in the end.]
~Air con in room.[I couldn't adjust the temp so would hit the main switch on or off throughought the night whenenver I woke! In reality I should have raised this with the staff at the time.]
~Clothes airer/dryer on balcony - very useful.[Provided on request. Told it would take a few days but infact appeared in less than 30mins].
~Pool area very popular, although I didn't have time to use it. [I didn't use the pool but did sit on the roof area a few times. Views from here must be amongst the best in Luxor now]
~Reasonable selection of meals and snacks available from poolside restaurant.[Tried a few of the spaghetti dishes out and also a Pizza when I wasn't out with friends - nothing fancy but good value for money].

~Breakfast - reasonable choice and edible (which is more than I can say for the last Luxor hotel I stayed at).[Still good choice, imo, although service could have been improved by providing sufficient serving implements. Hunt the saucer, teaspooon, salt and pepper etc became the mornings initiative test for some! Very confusing (for those of us who don't wake up before our 3rd coffee) when breakfast moved to the roof without warning.]

It may have been the room I occupied but it seemed smaller than I remember from the previous twins I've stayed in. I would have found it very restricting and claustrophobic to share this room for more than a night. Only two hangers in the wardrobe when I arrived but I asked immediately for more and was given another 6 within a short space of time.

I don't recall using electric key cards on previous stays, and to begin with mine nearly drove me mad. I lost count over the first couple of days how many times I had to go back to reception for assistance. Maybe it was just me that was over tired on arrival and not paying attention but as the man in the room next door was also having problems I don't think it was me!

Staff - as already mentioned, there seemed to be an overall lack of energy and enthusiasm. Infact the only one I can't really say this of was my room maid. Certainly they were not always hand open looking for tips as some people have stated in the past, equally there were many who I have tipped in the past who just didn't deserve it this time.

I did raise the various issues I had with the manager and he has promised to look into them and invited me back to do an inspection whether I stay there again or not. I hope that the Emilio, always under the threat of demolition because of it's proximity to the Avenue of Sphinx and the new road layout, will still be there when I do manage to return.

Would I stay there again? Yes, but I would probably explore other options a bit more seriously first.
Was it value for money? Yes, although I have seen it advertised at far higher prices than I paid and I would certianly not be happy if I had paid more than I did.

I cannot submit this review without clicking the button below - Would I recommend this hotel? Although I've said yes, it would also be on the proviso that I had spelt it out exactly what the hotel is like, and it's location, as I know it would not suite all. (Many find the location too noisy and wouldn't stay because of that).

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank boringFS
Reviewed 30 November 2010

I liked this hotel for the location and amenities. It is not a luxury hotel, but a comfortable one. The location couldn't be better, right in the heart of Luxor. Walking distance to the Temple of Luxor and a cabs abound to take you anywhere else. Our room looked like it was stuck in the 1970s, but it was very clean and the TV, shower, and toilet all worked. It even had a small balcony. The best part of this hotel was the rooftop pool! You can relax on comfortable loungers and get a spectacular view of the Temple and the surrounding mountains. Women can swim comfortable in a bikini (something I didn't find many budget places in egypt) and there are snack and drinks at good prices delivered poolside. The astroturf and yellow umbrellas add some nice character, too.
If you're going to Luxor for the sights (not to sit around a plush hotel) this is a great place to stay at the end of your day.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tr4velc4t
Reviewed 30 November 2010

My partner and I stayed here a few weeks ago and it was just what we needed in a mid range hotel; convenient location, helpful staff and a nice rooftop pool to cool off. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2010

having stopped in the emilio 5years ago just when it had been refurbished i couldnt fault it - in fact i especially choose this hotel again. big mistake hotel was run down and dirty staff couldnt care less the only thing going for it was its location. i took my friend there and had been bigging it up what an embarressment !!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2010

Although we spent two nights at this hotel, the amount of time we spent in the hotel itself was minimal, due to a hectic sightseeing programme. We were part of a large tour group, with rooms allocated on arrival. Some members of the group reported large, comfortable rooms; we were not so lucky. However, our room was adequate for the time we spent there, and other than a continually running toilet, there were no problems.

At the front of the hotel, on a busy road, I thought we would be disturbed more by the traffic outside; but this was not an issue. In fact the location of the hotel was fantastic, sitting right at the top of the Avenue of the Sphinxes. And from the rooftop restaurant and pool we could see all the way down to Luxor Temple. It was only a five-minute walk to the ferry terminal for boats to the West Bank, making it very easy to access trips to the Valley of Kings and Queen Hatshepsut's Temple, among others. Its central location also made the hotel very convenient for trying out Luxor's restaurants (I recommend the Jamboree Restaurant) and wandering through the souk, where I was very nearly exchanged for 100 camels!

Luxor was a fantastic place, and the Emilio was not a bad hotel. They packed us up a substantial breakfast to take with us on our balloon ride. And the spaghetti I had for lunch was surprisingly good. It would have been nice to have a better room, but then we really were only sleeping there. For everything else, it was very convenient.

• Stayed: November 2010