“OK if you like karaoke”

Ranked #37 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Bangkok, Thailand
“OK if you like karaoke”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

The Gaddis Hotel has character; it is basically a karaoke bar, restaurant and bar all mixed into one. I entered in the lobby that has a guard and a metal detector right at the front door. The metal detector did not work. It was hard to miss the fact there there was some serious singing and dancing going on just beyond the lobby across from the restaurant. I was told that the noise would end soon which it sort of did if you count a few hours late in the evening as "soon". The lobby had a weird mixture of colors and a U-shaped row of uncomfortable chairs. The Gaddis Bar mixed Egyptian tomb murals with some sort of hipster theme. There was a very small terrace on top of the roof that did not look well used. Room 209 had a nice LCD TV with some OK channels on it. It was clean. It had a small balcony overlooking the pool. The shower was not very reliable at all--apparently this is normal for Egypt. The sheets seemed clean and the beds were comfortable. I did not get a chance to eat breakfast there because I wanted to get to the Valley of the Kings really early, but I did have a nice meal there in the evening in the restaurant. The portion size was generous and the price was fair. This hotel was fine by Egyptian standards. However, I would rethink staying here because it will be noisy when people decide to sing karaoke. Moreover, the lobby is a bit smelly thanks to people smoking. If you go out of the hotel and turn right, there is a place to get an Egyptian phone card and do a bit of shopping and eating.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor so you can escape the cacophony of people singing karaoke.
1 Thank William J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Stayed here 4 years ago - how things change. I chose this hotel on previous experience. Hygiene is non-existent. Beds had slats missing, bugs and linen changed ONCE in 2 weeks (brochure says daily). Bathroom disgusting - no hot water for 3 days - no clean towels unless we complained - no shower door - broken tiles and loose taps. Same mop used to clean bathroom, sleeping area and balcony - never rinsed out. Breakfast room filthy - cracked and chipped china, bent cutlery (most not washed properly). Not really any choice and what there was was either dried out, over ripe or cold. Heated pool - NOT - steps unsafe - filters only on 10 mins in morning. Most electrical items/switches had either screws missing or none at all - wait for the bang. Light bulbs missing or blown. Both ourselves and several other patrons had either money or other items stolen from our rooms. When reported it was just shrugged off. Staff all very polite and appeared helpful but did nothing about complaints. Most balcony doors would not lock. This could really have ruined our holiday but Luxor is a lovely place and most people are welcoming and helpful. We are planning another visit but will NEVER use this hotel again. Did not find a single person staying in this hotel with us that had a good thing to say about it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Eileen W

Travellers are raving about these Luxor hotels

Kabul, Afghanistan
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This is no Hotel this is a nightmare. Everything that was said in the previous comment's are true as I was there for 2 weeks and was disgusted by the staff's behavior, especially the way the staff didn't care about anything you told them. The breakfast was the same and boring everyday. I was actually surprised at how small and dirty the swimming pool was, when climbing in the steps would wobble as if it was going to break apart. Also the rooms were terrible, there were bed bugs and we ran out of shampoo and didn't get it replaced. I understand this was a cheap deal but the shower door was broken too. We didn't have warm water for 2 days. How were my children meant to cope with all this? My TV channels stopped working and I missed the movie I was watching. The only kind person there was the doorman, he greeted us when we came and made sure we had everything with us. The breakfast room was dirty, I did read the reviews before going and I didn't expect what I got, but there you have it. This Hotel was a complete mess. Though I did enjoy my stay at Luxor.

Room Tip: All the rooms were the same from what I saw, we stayed in three different rooms and each one was jus...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
egypt
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Where do i start with this hotel ...First of all i know i got a cheap deal and yes you get what you pay for ,but what i didn't expect is cockeroaches in the my bedroom and in my bed ...also bloody on the mattress...the room stuck of pee ....the shower door was broken and half the glass was missing that i could cope with ....the aircon was a bit it and miss going off in the middle of the night ....even the water went off so i couldn't get a shower after i had been out all day in the hot sun ......I only went down once for breakfast it was a nightmare the breakfast room and tables were durty the coffee was undrinkable ....The pool was durty and i wouldn't even put my big toe in .....This hotel is unsafe ...I had to call the maintence man out to fix the aircon and he got a nasty shock of the electircs....please stay away from this hotel ...This is a honest review ...I did read the reviews before i booked this hotel and they were more good than bad ones ...I know i would never stop there again room 406 ...you will know it by the smell ....I did like luxor and enjoyed my time visting my sister and would go back to luxor but to a better hotel than the Gaddis ....( The photos of this hotel dont lie )

1 Thank junnieEgypt
london
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Stayed there last week half board, received a warm welcome and a much needed cold drink on arrival. Staff are wonderful people, very sensitive to our needs and very helpful. Food varied to suit most needs. Great location for getting around town, the tourist attractions and bazaars. I would definitely stay at the Gaddis again! A very grateful guest (Room 002). Thank you all.

liverpool
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I must admit i had this hotel thrust upon me by my tour company ( olympic holidays ) ... this turned out to be their saving grace whilst not pleased with olympic. we where more than pleased with the Gaddis every member of staff from the manager himself to the guy who made towel statues in our room where excellent, breakfast while not exactly what we where use to was filling and a pleasant unhurried experiance whilst meals in the restaraunt at night where excellent in quality and price.
the location was a little distant from the hub of luxor tourisum however was just 15 to 20 min walk from the temple and i walk slow, taxis are cheap and plentyful however decide on price before you get in personally i tended to stick with drivers i was pleased with for value and service.
the pool whilest chilly on entry was a definate must after a few hours out sightseeing or sun worship.
our room was simple but comfy bed was soft clean and big (double) the tv offered a few channels showing english films and the staff would also put these on upon request in the lounge area.
cash exchange isnt avalable in hotel however there is a bank directly opposite.
in conclusion despite some of the nit picking photos i see (ie torn or broken sunloungers) on this site evidence of which i didnt notice whilst there the hotel is both excellent value and a place we intend to use time and time again.

Room Tip: we had a corner room and found this spacious
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vampirelover69
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The people in this hotel will be in our memory as much as the amazing sites we saw of Egypt. After long trips we were welcomed back like friends. The hotel was cool but if we were still too hot then we'd swim in the pool. The food was really good and the waiters have a wicked sense of humour.
We miss you Gaddis, Thank you.
Sandy.