“lovely gaddis”

Mansourah, Ad Daqahliyah, Egypt
“lovely gaddis”
Reviewed 12 January 2013

hello everybody
i am now in gaddis hotel
i want to advise every body to stay here for many reasons
comfortable dealing with the hotel stuff
clean hotel, clean bathrooms
the hotel prices is good for every body and not expensive
food is great and delicious
karaoke party every Saturday and Tuesday and it is funny
disco every Thursday
big thanks for Mr hane the director of the hotel because he is a lovely , understanding pearson and i am happy to be friend with him.
and most important to be careful from taxi drivers and horse drivers ( kalish ) because the kidnapping two kids during my trip .

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sohaib H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 12 January 2013

After staying at the Gaddis for 10 days in December I can see why the hotel gets mixed reviews. There is a lot wrong with the hotel, yet if you have the right people in the hotel at the time you stay, you can have a good laugh.

The hotel should really be listed as one star, I have been in many better 2 star hotels.. Usually they are cheap acceptable and affordable. This hotel is all of them, but it does depend on the conditions of your stay and your own nature. If you are a friendly easy going person, you will put up with the troubles of the hotel, you will laugh at them like me. The room was acceptable, yes the showers play up and the room did go a little cold at times, but what do you expect when you pay peanuts.

The staff was hit and miss, sometimes they would be very helpful, sometimes they would turn a blind eye to problems. I found the whole thing quite amusing, it really is like Fawlty Towers. If you are thinking of staying 2 weeks, do choose another hotel. The Lotus is not much more expensive and has a warm bath a nile view, and a warm room.. It also has a better breakfast bar facility. I know because me and my partner moved there for the last 4 days of our holiday.

The only problem with the other hotels, is they lack the interesting people to talk to. I ended up going back to the Gaddis to catch up on the fun. I even sneaked back into the terrible breakfast bar for a cup of tea, don't drink the coffee it tastes terrible. If you are over 60, please do not use this hotel, its ok for back packers and younger people who can deal with the problems better. But you will hate it if you can't get out and about so easily.

The sun terrace is a disgrace.. The main pool area is ok, but always in the shade. I suggest they get reflectors, to reflect light into that area.

I know from listening to others, that their stay at the Gaddis is made worse due to the calleche drivers. My tip while in Luxor, is do not trust a soul, especially any Egyptians, virtually all of them want to con you. I never had much trouble myself, but I have been to Egypt before. You need to be strong and firm, they will take advantage of any weakness or indecision within you. Remember bar in the hotel, you should always pay less for things while shopping in Luxor.. Start at a 1/4 of what you think it is worth in your own country and work upwards.. You really don't need to pay more than 20 odd Egyptian pounds for anything.. Things are really cheap there but people will take you for all you have got. My tip is walk away from anyone who asks more money for anything than you would pay in your own country. Remember you are in poundland, or euroland, not Harrods.. Do not use the calleche drivers unless you really have to.. 5 Egyptian pounds is usually enough for most simple journeys.. 10 Egyptian max.. Same for the taxi's.. Do not pay more than 40 Egyptian for an airport trip or 100 Egyptian for a day trip to the valley of the kings etc.

Try to find people to go on walks or trips with you, you get less hassle, when you have 4 or more. If you are women alone, find some European men, to walk with. Do not trust the Egyptians, they always want something for nothing.. You will meet some nice Egyptian people there, but they only start treating your right when you stand up for yourself. They love a joke, and they can see the ones who have risen above all the hassle.. So take the bull by the horns and do not let people take advantage of you.. Always reflect before you decide on doing anything while in Luxor.

The ones who get the most hassle are the ones who are not easy going, the ones who do not stand strong, the ones who take it all too serious.. The Egyptians are poor people in general, they know no better.. If they did they would lay off people, they will learn in time, by pushing people away.. But don't let that push you away, you just have to change your attitude while you are there, if you wish to have a good holiday..

A quick thanks to those we met on holiday.. Thanks to Peter, Elmar, Elke, San, Margaret, John, Dave, Rodney, Sue and her mom.. Sorry if I forgot anyone, thanks for the laughs.

Don't forget, there is a great pool over the road at the Isis, and the Lotus has a great pool and Hotel down the road.. Have fun!!

Ps.. Don't even bother visiting an Islamic country if you don't like the call to prayer.. Go and visit Spain again, as culture will be lost on you!!

Room Tip: Ask for pool View..
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LeonJB

Travellers are raving about these Luxor hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2013

first impression of the Gaddis hotel is bad, the front looks like a run-down shop. doesn't get much better inside. decor is from 1970's, the whole place is grubby and there are safety issues such as a pile of broken beds and mattresses we found on one of the top floor staircases! our shower, bed and backdoor were broken/faulty, which we complained about but nothing was done, we also had to ask for towels and toilet roll on several occasions. Staff are hit and miss, a few were really friendly and helpful, others, not so much...Also the pool is never heated and the sun doesn't reach it, there is disco and karaoke on a Tuesday and Saturday which was so bad it was entertaining. oh yeah, and the minaret next door will wake u up at sunrise, that was fun!
But Luxor is an amazing city so you forget about the bad hotel and we still had an amazing experience out there...just dont stay at Gaddis if you can avoid it, the place needs to be shutdown!!! the Lotus Hotel down the road is a million times better and not much more expensive, wish i knew that before i went! Attatched is a view from the balcony which kinda sums the place up...

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 2 January 2013

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a great 2 weeks in Luxor, where we stayed for 10 days at the Gaddis. For the price you pay for Bed & Breakfast it is good value for money. The rooms are clean and most days are serviced for you. My only complaint about the room was the low water pressure in the shower and lack of hot water. We were told to let it run for a few mins and the hot water would come through, but I have to say it was a bit hit or miss. The bathroom floor had a tendency to flood with water, but was immediately looked at when I reported it to the staff. Unfortunately, it did come back. Its a plumbing problem that is not easily rectified.

The breakfast is very basic. But I did enjoy the omlettes and the soft cheese that was available daily. But after ten days this is repetative. My partner had fried egg on toast every day. We were both clucking when we came home..lol Though it all looks very basic, neither of us experienced any stomach problems, so I can vouch for the hygiene of the place.

The staff are the jewel in the crown of the Gaddis. They were always smiling and friendly and went out of their way to make you feel welcome. Though there is a nice pool, it is in the shade and never warms up only in the height of summer. So we did feel the lack of sunbathing space. But there are other hotels where you can sunbathe by their pool, for a small fee. They had sunbeds on the roof, but this was also very basic.

The great thing we found about the Gaddis, was that because it is a small hotel, the guests tended to congregate together more and socialise. We made some great friends there, the whole place had a fawlty towers feel about it, which made from very funny moments. We also shared any problems we had, which creates a great bond.

The biggest problem we found at the Gaddis and Luxor in general was the constant pressure from the Kalesh drivers (horse drawn carriages) and the taxi's. There are far more of them then there are tourists, and so the competition for your custom is fierce. They have no concept of personal boundaries and will follow you around constantly wanting you to use them. They don't seem to get we actually enjoy walking!! Watch out for those who agree to a price for egyptian pounds and then change it to english. Be very clear about where you want to go and how much you want to pay, before you climb aboard a Kalesh or get in a taxi. The less people are hassled the more they will use them. This they don't seem to get!

The people are very friendly, but are feeling the lack of tourism since the revolution in 2010 badly. Things are better in the normal shops, but they will start high on prices, so don't be afraid to haggle. I truly hope things improve for them. I will definitely go back. As overall, it was a beautiful place, and we had a very relaxing time, once we had got over the first couple of days of culture shock and into the ways of haggling and understanding what things should cost rather then what is asked. Don't be to shy to ask other people who have been there for a while for advice.

We will definitely go back as there was so much to see and we didn't get to visit everything. The view of the nile is stunning with the valley of the kings in the background, weather was fab and we came home with a nice tan. It was cool at night, so a couple of long sleeved tops is a must. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: The hotel has free wifi, connection is best in reception areas and not bad up to the second floor. E...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KazWolverhampton
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Location is near to Luxor railway station. In morning when i started from Luxor railway station was looking for some taxi but after walking less than a mile reached the place by walking . They have a swimming pool and bar also ... the carving in the bar/coffe room are funny ... Neat clean place in luxor.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Priyanka A
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2012

A group of ladies decided to take a winter holiday in Luxor, Egypt. We decided to stay at Gaddis Hotel after reading the reviews in August. In December, which was closer to our departure date, I decided to reread the reviews and they were all ‘HORRIFIC!’ To my dismay I decided to ignore the reviews because that could have been their own personal experience and besides it was too late. On first inspection of the Gaddis Hotel the reception staff where quite rude. When we went to our room it was dirty! It smelled like mold and cigarettes and the bathroom was disgusting. We had to shower in sandals because we were afraid we might catch something. At 4am we were awoken by the call of prayer which happened to be our next door neighbor. 24hrs in we ordered room service and the Bar Captain brought our food to our room where he sat on our bed and made sexual references to each one of us. We then talked to the General Manager where he promised to fire him for his inappropriate behavior. Two hours later we were meeting with our local Travel Agent in the lobby and saw the Bar Captain in the lobby talking to guest. This is when our experience turned into ‘HELL’. We requested to leave the hotel, they disconnected our room phone so we couldn’t receive or make calls, told our travel agent and police we were not in our room and gave them the wrong room number, they wouldn’t allow us to call the police, wouldn’t call our travel agent, kept making excuses for the phone line being down, promised to move us to another hotel but because we didn’t sign a statement stating that, we would not tell Expedia of our horrific experience, the Hotel Manager made us walk three blocks to the other hotel, during this time calling that hotel and telling him to make us pay cash. The Gaddis Hotel Manager and Front Desk Team told the Gaddis Hotel Security to follow me as I went into the streets searching for someone to help me, while he told the locals not too. Finally close to midnight my personal cellular phone finally worked and I was able to text my local Travel Agent and he came out to escort us to the police station. After writing up a report they put us in wonderful hotel, St. Joesph’s Hotel. Our 7 day holiday turned into a 5 day survival retreat because you go out into the streets or markets and are harassed, lied to and disrespected. We caught a horse and buggy and agreed upon 5 Egyptian Pounds and once it was over an argument escalated because he wanted 5 euro. When I tried to give him what we agreed on I was called the ‘B’ word, was told ‘F’ my country and Mother and had 5 men surrounding us demanding his money. Overall Egypt was a growing experience. Women have no rights what so ever and the Egyptian men do not respect them at all. Every time we voiced our opinion we were told to ‘BE QUIET!’ If it wasn’t for Elegant Voyage and the team of people they had to help us out we would have been left hopeless.
Expedia did not help us at all! They over charged for the events we brought such as visiting the Temples and Valley of the Kings and Queens ect. When I spoke with them they wanted more money, I will never EVER use this site again because if it wasn’t for their recommendation of this particular Hotel our Winter Holiday might have been more doable. I would personally like to Thank, ELEGANT VOYAGE, an Egyptian owned company because without them and their dedicated staff my trip would have been more disastrous!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank CHEV S
NYC
Reviewed 5 December 2012

if you want to smell horse crap on the way into your hotel, then stay here. I reserved a room here and when i arrived they were sold out and moved me to another hotel? I had to call my tour guide to tell him of this change since we had a early morning pickup and had the hotel call him and they charge me 11 pounds for this!!Then I had to move back to this hotel for one more night since i paid for 2 nights. Manager was horrible customer service, after i complained he sent a plate to my room while i was out and had a do not disturb sign on the door. So after a long day there was a cold plate of food waiting for me?? This is his idea of customer service? This is no more than a hostel level type hotel, and the price should be accordingly but it is not, so stay away! The buses in front of the hotel are a great deal .50 cents pounds per person go to Karnak, all the taxi drivers will tell you no buses or tell you its far, its the same way for them or the bus. All the other reviews here are either paid by hotel or something. Trust me stay away. I have paid less and got a better room..

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple