All reviewsrooftop poolair contaxiegyptnilehasslecaleche
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I have stayed now at the St Joseph many many times and it alway feels like a second home. The Hotel may not be modern and trendy like some of the bigger hotels but what it lacks in looks it more than makes up for with some of the nicest staff I have met, who genuinely remember you each time you return. The food both at breakfast and in the Rooftop Restaurant is excellant and also in the restaurant downstairs offering some really good deals. The location of this little hotel is also a plus as you are within walking distance to shops, souks, temples, everywhere! The hotel is very clean and the beds are so comfortable I always want to take the matress home with me on the plane!!! So, if its glamour, glitz and hassle you want stay at the more expensive hotels but if its friendliness, relaxation, comfort and no hassle then stay at the St Joseph.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Violet K
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The Hotel St. Joseph overlooks the Nile River and is an ideal location for touring Luxor. The hotel is a little dated, but clean and has a great included buffet breakfast in the adjoining restaurant. In the morning, you can go out on your balcony and watch the hot air balloons float down the Nile.
The roof top restaurant/bar is a great place to watch the sun set over the Nile and hang out in the evening. The desk clerk was very helpful in lining up a taxi driver and guide for our tour of the Valley of the Kings. There's always a taxi right outside the entrance if you're interested in hiring one. Pleasant lobby if you just want to read and unwind.
I'd recommend getting the highest possible room for the best view.

Room Tip: Get the highest possible room for the best view of the Nile and to minimize the street noise.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2012

this was nine times i have stayed here the first time on my own. i like the rooftop bar and views, good bar snacks and very friendly staff . the hotel might be abit old but it doesnt detract from the good ambience created by the staff. i will be returning again shortly . says it all really

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank lentee93
Reviewed 7 May 2012

This is very good value for money. Very clean with a helpful staff. We were long stay so got a very good rate. The breakfast is quite good - although we did supply our own cereal (muesli and Weetabix) as we do not find Egyptian cerials to our taste. They do a very good evening meal deal, involving vouchers. This is an excellent system as you can eat in and out as you choose. The only criticism is the noise and the very unpleasant kaliche drivers outside the hotel. It is wise to ignore them as much as possible especially as they are not licensed and God help you if there is an accident!! We enjoyed our 11 week stay there. The laundry service is excellent. Enjoyable in the hotel, but needs more police outside to stop the tourists being hasselled. I did find the bed very hard and didn't like sheets with holes, even though spotless. I obtained foam rubber to sleep on which enabled me a good night's sleep except when I was woken from late night/early morning TV. I do not think the pool is up to standard, having no rail and the metal steps are not covered with rubber. Some of the staff need to be more motivated to international standards and some need training is definitely needed.

Room Tip: Where you stay depends on the length of time there. If a short time, it doesn't really matter. I think better to be higher or even at the back if a longer period. All the rooms are okay.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank annlivo5
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Great views of the Nile from the rooftop bar/swimming pool area. A budget hotel, but in need of
a refurb. Bed linen needs renewing - frayed edges and same is true of the other facilities, including 'fridge, phone socket and light bulbs. Room constantly smelt of cigarette smoke. The hotel didn't have the courtesy to respond when we e-mailed regarding and item of lost property.
If you don't pay your bar bills as you go (but keep a hotel tab of extras), keep your receipts and make a note of those you have paid, we got charged for things we had already paid for!
Not impressed by the hotel's jewellery shop 'no haggling - set price policy' - friend was offered the same item 50% cheaper as an opening price.
The taxi and caleche drivers ambushing us at the hotel door was very unpleasant at the least and frightening at the extreme. I suggest that the St Joseph Hotel enlist the tourist police to protect the few tourists they do have from intimidation and blatant dishonesty. For this reason I would not recommend Luxor as a holiday destination. Watch out for Tour Reps coming to the hotel selling excursions without price lists, or prices much higher than same trips from offices in the town centre.
Yes a budget hotel,but in need of a refurb. Bed linen needs renewing - frayed edges, and same it true of the other facilities, including 'fridge, phone socket and light bulbs. Room constantly smelt of cigarette smoke. The hotel didn't have the courtesy to respond when we e-mailed regarding and item of lost property.

If you don't pay all your bar bills as you go, keep your receipts and make a note of those you have paid, I'm sure we got charged again for things we had paid for!

Not impressed by the attached jewellery shop's 'no haggling policy' - friend was sold item 50% cheaper!

The taxi and calesh driver ambushing us at the hotel door was very unpleasant at the least and frightening at the extreme. I suggest that the St Joseph Hotel enlist the tourist police to protect the few tourist they do have from intimidation and blatant dishonesty. For this reason I would not recommend Luxor as a holiday destination.

Room Tip: Hotel has Nile views, but can be noisy a the front to the building
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple