All reviews rooftop pool air con taxi egypt nile hassle caleche
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Had the pleasure of staying at The St Joseph Hotel for two weeks half board in October.The Hotel is downtown around 20 minutes walk to Luxor Temple or 5 minutes by taxi.There are wonderful views over the Nile from the roof top terrace to the west bank and also from your room.The rooms are a little dated but cleaned daily with linen.I found the food selection very good especially dinner freshly cooked and lots of choice at breakfast.The staff I have to
say were superb,very friendly,helpful and the service excellent,The only negative point I could make is that the hotel is on a very busy main road and have to admit that I had some difficulty
sleeping due to the sound of traffic and horns blowing 24/7,also a word of warning the hassle from taxi and Kalesh drivers can be overpowering...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Anthony W
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I lasted stayed at the St. Joseph some 12 years ago. That was my first trip outside of Europe, and at the time it seemed a reasonably nice hotel, and I was probably a little less particular in those days.

Having just returned from a second stay, of 10 nights duration, I have to report a certain disappointment. Yes, it is inexpensive, but little or nothing has been done to bring the hotel up to date. The reception area is still gloomy and a little depressing, and the theme continues once you get to your room. On the positive side, the room was basically kept clean and the bed linen changed at least every other day. I found the covers to be rather thin though - the extra blankets in the wardrobe smelled musty - and combined with the (necessary) aircon, sometimes made for a cold night's sleep, as the higher settings on the aircon unit were a little too warm in September.
Also the street noise, which seems to have increased at night post-revolution, can be quite bothersome, and the curtains do little to shut it out. Ask for a room towards the back of the hotel and on a higher floor if you are a light sleeper!

The Tudor Rose (formerly 'Classic') restaurant is also very much as I remember it - clean, again with subdued lighting, and offering palatable, though not outstanding, meals. I have to say I did not fancy the breakfast at all, and made other arrangements. The number of decent and affordable restaurants in the area these days reduces the reason to eat here, although the food on offer at the rooftop pool area is quite acceptable. I just wouldn't bother going half board. On the subject of the rooftop area, again it is very much the same as it was years ago - a pleasant place to spend the afternoon, just a bit tatty and dated around the edges. Excellent views across the Nile.

In conclusion, there are now more newer and more appealing options within the same price range, and if I was on a tight budget again I would probably stay in one of those - if only to avoid the caleche and taxi drivers now camped 16 hours a day outside the St. Joseph's entrance.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank alistair1967
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Me and my wife have just spent 2 weeks at the hotel St Joseph Luxor.

We found the staff to be very helpful and always on hand.

The rooms are reasonably comfortable and very clean. Since I was there in 1999, each room has been equipped with a modern air conditioning unit and fridge. Every room has a view of the nile.

Breakfast is served from 5 in the morning which is idea, especially if you plan to visit the Valley of the Kings or Karnak temple as you will be able to visit on a full stomach and even have seconds if you're back at the hotel before 10.

The roof bar offers food from 12 in the afternoon until late at night and the meals are very good quality and not overly priced. The roof itself is open from 8 in the morning. The hotel also has the Tudor Rose restaurant on the ground floor.

The pool is open from 9 in the morning and mattresses and towels are supplied upon request.

The hotel has everything one should need and it's ideally situated for exploring Luxor. Excellent views of the Nile including a front row seat to see the magnificent sunsets.

We are looking forward to returning next year and in the meantime if any of you stay there, please say hello from Paul & Evelyne room 606

Room Tip: If possible, request a room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The Hotel looked a little tired, but the staff were great and did all they could to make your stay a good one.Both resturants were good, the one down stairs did a special offer on 4 courses for 50 ep = aboiut £5.50 definatly too much food we had two meals in there and we were stuffed. The food on the roof terrace was very good and it was nice to sit outside and look at the view which we never tired of. It took about 15 - 20 minutes to walk into town, We were on the 3rd floor facing the road and yes it was very noisy but after the 2nd day you don.t notice so much.either that or you are exhausted from all the sight seeing, as we had to get up and be out of the hotel be 6.30 am and do our sight seeing as by 10.30am the temperature was in the high 40s.The taxis and kalesh drivers were a pain constantly asking you to take a ride never wanting to take noi for an answer, sometimes they were rude when you refused. One tour operator said be like the Germans keep your head down and walk on past.
Before we went to Egypt I was very worried about our safety, but I can honestly say we felt perfectly safe. You need to be aware of where you are and don't go wandering down the back streets after dark. If you wanted to organise your own trips we found a good travel company called Misr Africa Travel just round the corner next to the Egyptians Tesco both of which we used excellent service and good rates.
All round we had agreat holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms at front facing a great view but noisy from traffic great air con
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank julia a
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I have stayed now at the St Joseph many many times and it alway feels like a second home. The Hotel may not be modern and trendy like some of the bigger hotels but what it lacks in looks it more than makes up for with some of the nicest staff I have met, who genuinely remember you each time you return. The food both at breakfast and in the Rooftop Restaurant is excellant and also in the restaurant downstairs offering some really good deals. The location of this little hotel is also a plus as you are within walking distance to shops, souks, temples, everywhere! The hotel is very clean and the beds are so comfortable I always want to take the matress home with me on the plane!!! So, if its glamour, glitz and hassle you want stay at the more expensive hotels but if its friendliness, relaxation, comfort and no hassle then stay at the St Joseph.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple