All reviewsrooftop poolair contaxiegyptnilehasslecaleche
Reviewed 11 December 2012

love this hotel. its so relaxed and the staff are so friendly. food is ok. location of hotel is almost perfect.have enjoyed two holidays there. the rooftop pool is really nice (dont care if its not perfect). nice rooms. value for money.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I hated this hotel for quite a few reasons.

Firstly, it is essentially a non-smoking hotel and I think that they should just come out and say so on their publicity, instead of having guests find out for themselves after they have made a booking. Down in the public lounge they even have a small glass room set aside for smokers to go into - a bit like being in an overseas airport departure lounge smoking area.

Secondly, you are not allowed to consume ANY food or drink that is not purchased inside the hotel. This includes ALL public areas - the swimming pool and sun-deck area included - not even a bottle of water. Guests who are caught consuming their own food and/or drink are subject to a spot fine or 500 EP - and I have reported this fact to the Luxor Tourist Office. The Menu on the roof terrace was exorbitantly expensive.

Thirdly, the wi-fi was not working for four of the five days that we stayed there and the staff had a nonchalant attitude towards this situation. I was working with friends in the USA on ballots of the US election and this down time was a major disappointment to me.

I will never go back to the St. Joseph hotel. It was a most repressive and miserable experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lotuspods
stjoseph30, General Manager at Saint Joseph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Firstly, according to the ministry of tourism no smoking is allowed in closed areas like the reception and restaurant. the hotel decided to makes the smoking room that is equipped with air filter and air conditioner the same as international standard for people to smoke in so the guest don’t have to go outside the hotel especially after the revolution. If the guest is in the room, he/she can smoke in the balcony.

Secondly, according to the ministry of health guests are not allowed to bring food from outside to control the hygiene in the hotel and the guest’s health due to the fact that it might be contaminated and contain bacteria.

Thirdly, the WI-FI control is out of the hotel's hand. The WI-FI router was working but there was no internet coming from the company especially if there is a lot of log on the internet network throughout Egypt.

we welcome any observation and complains to improve our service

Reviewed 11 November 2012

The hotel for those on a tight budget, The service is excellent and staff always courteous. Rooms are en suite and are cleaned daily. There are tv's in the rooms and air con. The hotel also has free wifi. The pool and snack bar on the roof is good but the pool is freezing be warned! Breakfast is good value and runs from 6-10am. Yes there are the taxi drivers outside hassling you each time you go out but they are desperate for business and you can bargain with them for trips to town. They are not threatening and don't ignore them just talk to them and explain not today maybe tomorrow etc etc. We took a caleche twice and each time made sure the price was agreed before we got in and stuck to our guns on arrival at our destination! We took a trip to ACE and round trip for the two of us was £8. It was a great way to see the outskirts of the town and our horse got a free shower and look over by a vet for free. We did buy a new headcollar for Rambo but it was only £5. The charity used to give them free but of course the owners of the horse sold them!!! I gave our Caleche driver a warning not to sell Rambo's new collar, I hope he still has it on! We also fed the horses when we left the hotel with apples. Altogether a great location and fun place to stay for a week.

Room Tip: We asked for a room on the 6thfloor then you have a little less noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mootymeister
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Had the pleasure of staying at The St Joseph Hotel for two weeks half board in October.The Hotel is downtown around 20 minutes walk to Luxor Temple or 5 minutes by taxi.There are wonderful views over the Nile from the roof top terrace to the west bank and also from your room.The rooms are a little dated but cleaned daily with linen.I found the food selection very good especially dinner freshly cooked and lots of choice at breakfast.The staff I have to
say were superb,very friendly,helpful and the service excellent,The only negative point I could make is that the hotel is on a very busy main road and have to admit that I had some difficulty
sleeping due to the sound of traffic and horns blowing 24/7,also a word of warning the hassle from taxi and Kalesh drivers can be overpowering...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Anthony W
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I lasted stayed at the St. Joseph some 12 years ago. That was my first trip outside of Europe, and at the time it seemed a reasonably nice hotel, and I was probably a little less particular in those days.

Having just returned from a second stay, of 10 nights duration, I have to report a certain disappointment. Yes, it is inexpensive, but little or nothing has been done to bring the hotel up to date. The reception area is still gloomy and a little depressing, and the theme continues once you get to your room. On the positive side, the room was basically kept clean and the bed linen changed at least every other day. I found the covers to be rather thin though - the extra blankets in the wardrobe smelled musty - and combined with the (necessary) aircon, sometimes made for a cold night's sleep, as the higher settings on the aircon unit were a little too warm in September.
Also the street noise, which seems to have increased at night post-revolution, can be quite bothersome, and the curtains do little to shut it out. Ask for a room towards the back of the hotel and on a higher floor if you are a light sleeper!

The Tudor Rose (formerly 'Classic') restaurant is also very much as I remember it - clean, again with subdued lighting, and offering palatable, though not outstanding, meals. I have to say I did not fancy the breakfast at all, and made other arrangements. The number of decent and affordable restaurants in the area these days reduces the reason to eat here, although the food on offer at the rooftop pool area is quite acceptable. I just wouldn't bother going half board. On the subject of the rooftop area, again it is very much the same as it was years ago - a pleasant place to spend the afternoon, just a bit tatty and dated around the edges. Excellent views across the Nile.

In conclusion, there are now more newer and more appealing options within the same price range, and if I was on a tight budget again I would probably stay in one of those - if only to avoid the caleche and taxi drivers now camped 16 hours a day outside the St. Joseph's entrance.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo