“Really miss being there already”

Pyramisa Isis Hotel & Suites Luxor
Ranked #27 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Stafford
“Really miss being there already”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2009

I went to Pyramisa Isis in Luxor with my husband and 3 young children (8, 4 and 2). The hotel is big and I'd read reviews about it being really busy but when we went there was very little noise and it felt peaceful, at the end of our holiday (Easter weekend) was when the rush happened and coaches and nile cruise boats unloaded into the hotel, so expect it to be busy at times. The hotel was clean and we stayed in a Junior suite. This room did not have 2 extra beds set up when we got there, which I was surprised about but they soon sorted that out and it was basically 2 rooms together with a partition door between them, a balcony for each room and the kids slept on put me up beds in the tv, lounge area, which was fine for them. The room was a perfect size for all of us with plenty of space. The bathroom was pretty big too. We banned the kids from the balconies, unless me or my husband was out there with them, for obvious reasons, but this was no big deal.

The hotel staff were always very friendly and the Egyptian people love kids (especially my 2 youngest girls). They are both blonde too so got a lot of attention. My kids are quite sociable and lapped up the attention, high fiveing the hotel staff and being picked up for cuddles every 5 minutes by staff, tour guides and even other holiday makers... and as long as I was there the kids didn't mind one bit - so just be aware of this if you have any shy or particularly sensitive kids. They were extremely kind to the kids.

The rooms were cleaned and tidied every day and the men working there would often make animal sculptures out of the towels and sarrongs for the kids, when we returned to our room. One day they even made a crocodile out of them... amazing!

The pools were really lovely and they had a safe kids shallow end, with towel attendants on hand to save you a lounger or 2. The food was buffet style - we went half board - and there was always something for the kids to eat, fish and potatoes, beef, rice, veg, bread rolls, fruit, desserts etc.... we didn't really see much of the evening entertainment though due to having such a young family, we tended to go to bed fairly early. But this was fine as most of our trips had us up early.

We went to Luxor and Karnak temples, The Valley of the Kings - I also recommend the Ramesseum (which many people seem to forget but is quite impressive), Hatshepsut's temple. We went on a Balloon flight which the kids loved and a trip to Banana island and crocodile island party. We booked ours through our rep and virtually got a private tour everywhere, but we did get many offers from locals all the time - you can take them up on this if you like but they are not covered for insurance purposes, so we wanted to play it safe.

I could go on forever, the fact is we all had a fantastic holiday - everything was good and the kids, although young, really enjoyed themselves. Oh I didn't mention that there is also a kids play area around the back of the hotel which is very well kept and fairly private when we were there.

The only bad thing I would say is about the bartering - my husband hated it but was really stubborn and never gave in to their excessive prices. If you go with the attitude that you don't want the items and don't need them then all the work is done by the shop keepers to sell it and you will get them down to your price in the end... although our shopman wasn't too happy.... he put his back to me and tried to section off my husband because I was working out the exchange rate all the time and refusing to let my husband say yes ha ha ... it worked though!. Its all a bit of fun in the end.... what I did find funny was the shopkeeper tried to tell us that there was an economic crisis in Egypt, we did point out that the UK was also afflicted, I guess its just part of their patter.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lincoln
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2009

Reception area and poolside brilliant now - service as usual great - staff are so friendly and helpful. Rooms remain average

Brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2009

The staff at the hotel was very helpful. I wanted to change my room as they were working in the rooms across the hall in the main building. The room had a nice view over the Nile and the swimming pool.

The location is great when you want to walk to the center of Luxor city.

Whitchurch, Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

The Hotel was really good and I didnt actually want to leave. Although the furnishings are slightly what we would call 'dated' that had no affect on the holiday what so ever. The hotel is 100% 5 star and the service is also amazing. The food is brilliant from breakfast right through to dinner. The hotel is very clean and the cleaner even made sure we had fresh flowers every day in our room. The location of the hotel was brilliant as it overlooked the nile and you can watch the sun go down everyday over the valley of the kings. The hotel was so cheap and we got good prices on every thing. Please stay at this hotel it is so amazing and you will want to go back every year like us!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
St Albans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2009

Booked this hotel on the back of some of the other great reviews in March / April 09 and we were not disappointed. Had been slightly worried as some older reviews were not as glowing but to those people I would say they should not be so picky and should pay the extra £200 a night and go and stay at the Hilton!! The pools and gardens are amazing and every morning we were able to get comfortable pool side beds and umbrellas and spent the days looking out onto the Nile. The pool area did get busy at some times but all guests were (without sounding a snob) pleasant families and couples so it didnt feel obtrusive or noisy at all. All staff we met including room, pool, reception and breakfast staff were very polite and made our trip fantastic. Breakfast was great with more choice than I have ever seen and lovely fresh breads, salads and fruit as well as cooked stuff. We did not eat at any of the hotel restaurants so can not comment on that but the Italian one always looked busy. My one piece of important advice - DEF upgrade and spend a little more on a Nile Side View room - believe me - when stepping out onto the city streets on the first day I understand why everyone recommends this - too hot, dusty and noisy. Our nile side view meant every evening we could sit out with a bottle of wine and enjoy the peaceful tranquility of sunset and the nile cruises going by. The rooms was great and very big with a very comfortable bed - yes I agree with other reviews that they are not the modernest rooms I have seen but we were more than happy. We will def be returning to Luxor and the Pyramisa.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

Just spent a relaxing week at the Pyramisa Isis in Luxor. Booked the holiday with Vayages Jules Verne whose agent in Luxor Mohamed Ali was wonderful. I travelled alone so had to pay the single person supplement, which is so annoying. I booked a week staying in the Pyramisa Isis hotel. I also paid for a room upgrade so I would be guaranteed a view of the Nile. The main public areas of the hotel are very smart however the rooms are a little dated. But never the less spotlessly clean and comfortable. The sheets and towels changed every day. The rooms are quiet spacious. Having a room to myself was great it meant I had two of everything. The buffet breakfast contains everthing you could want and is very well catered. The staff are extremely friendly and pleasant. Of the two pools I found the top one to be the quietest. with towels provided for the sunbeds.
I hadn't been to Luxor for 22 years and a lot has changed since then. It's easier to get a beer for one thing. There are a great many decent restaurants for those who like to venture out off their hotel. El Kababgy on the Corniche (opposite the Winter Palce hotel) has a good menu offering Egyptian and Mediterranean food. The Hotel Nefertiti on Sharia Karnak (opposite the Luxor temple) has good food but no alcohol! If you want a taste of home cooking try Deans Bistro in a side street opposite the Stiegenberger Nile Palace hotel (Look out for the sign for Snobs restaurant) they do a cracking fish and chips. Also a taste of India on St Joseph Hotel Street does excellent food with wonderful Naan breads at very reasonable prices.
A word of warning! Be careful of the carriage and taxi drivers. Always agree on the price for your journey / trip before you start out as disagreements can be costly and upsetting.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2009

We have recently returned from a trip to Egypt. We included a few day by the Nile after sightseeing in Cairo and our 5 day Nile cruise. We returned by train from Aswan and stayed at the Pyramisa. It is in a very good location by the river and close to shops, other hotels and a short taxi, carriage ride or 30 minute walk to the Temple. We had a beautiful suite overlooking the Nile and one of the pools. The room was well appointed, large, very clean and quiet. I think it may be noisier at the street side of the hotel. We had good food and an excellent service from all staff, especially the Hotel Manager Mr Bassem who was extremely concerned when our transfer provider caused us problems on arrival at the station. I would certainly recommend this hotel in Luxor. Be prepared to haggle foor everthing outside the hotel, especially the horse carriages! Enjoy Luxor

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple