“A break from the madness that you will sorely need”
Review of El Fayrouz

El Fayrouz
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I have to preface this with why this place matters and is worth finding. What is commonly called "Hassle" in Egypt is not dangerous or particularly ruinous, but it certainly grates on you. and when you get to Luxor, you will find out just how far hassle really can go. Ever step every day was another encounter with yet another "tout" who wanted to take us somewhere we did not want to go. One day we hailed three taxis in a row requesting to take us somewhere. All three took us where we DIDN'T want to go to the same multi-level tourist market. I was apoplectic and felt like I had fallen down the rabbit hole. I told the third what happened with the first two, and made him promise to take us where we wanted to go. He took us there anyway.

Which all leads me to the importance and value of the Fayrouz! When you walk into El Fayrouz the first thing you notice is that they are not trying to sell you a feluca ride, a tour of the tombs, or anything for that matter. I had to ask, and yes, it is owned by Europeans. The staff is all aimiable Egyptians, but it is clear that they understand that hassle ends at the gate.

All through El Fayrouz are outdoor patios, porches and rooftop decks where you can sit and watch the Nile glide by and drink beer alone or with friends in peace. This never felt so good as it did after a day of telling literally hundreds of folks No Thank You. The place is clean, spartan in furnishings in a good way, and as comfortable as grandma's house. And at $29 a night with AC and hot water, we were really very reluctant to leave. It is the kind of place where you do the math to see if you could afford to come there for three months to write that novel you always dreamed of.

The El Fayrouz is on the west bank but the crossing on the ferry to the main town is 19 cents American or spend $1.50 american and any one of a hundred boatsman will take you across any time day or night in five minutes. Really the excuse to be out on the Nile so often is a welcome respite, although the boatsman may take the whole trip to tell you about his cousin the tomb guide who has a nice car and.......

The hotel is down an alley that looks a bit dodgy at first but by the end of the first day you will know all the alley residents by face and they will all wave to you as you walk by. Go to the Winter Palace for your tea and biscuits, but stay at Al Fayrouz for your peace of mind. We loved the place and loved supporting their business.

Room Tip: The top rooms are lovely with the best views but it got pretty impossibly hot up there at mid day in...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank providenceTim

Reviewed 16 August 2011

I had to enter one specific month in the 'When did you stay here?' box but in fact I have been spending whole winters here for several years. The hotel is popular with archaeologists who also winter here during the digging season.
It is impossible to speak too highly of the place. The rooms are large and comfortable. The food is excellent. The place is extremely clean, the staff superb and the price reasonable.
It is well placed for crossing the Nile to the East Bank and for visiting the historical sights on the West Bank. I need a quiet environment for my writing and the large, beautiful garden is perfect for this.
One of the most important factors for travellers is security and in this respect The Hotel Fayrouz is tops. Michael

Room Tip: Give the management as much notice as possible. Book well in advance. Even if you can't, they wi...
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
7  Thank michaelhorrex
Reviewed 13 June 2011

To be fair I live in Luxor so I did not stay but friends did I saw the room everything was great.... But the restaurant in the lovely garden was to die for great food and good service plus extensive menu and very good prices!!!!!!
Its my favourite restaurant on west bank... Going tonight

• Stayed: June 2011
5  Thank mchawkins1
Reviewed 8 April 2011

While we did not stay here, we used its garden restaurant frequently for lunch and dinner during our week at the Sheherazade. There were always plenty of other customers, mainly from the missions working in the area, even though every other restaurant in Luxor was very quiet. They set their prices at a level below their neighbours in order to attract business, but do not compromise on the quality and variety of their food and drink.

Room Tip: Try also the garden bar at Sheherazade, opposite
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Yare
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I have just returned from this hotel, chosen with the aid of this site. I am very pleased with my decision and thoroughly enjoyed crossing the river on a daily basis. It's not ultra smart but for me that is part of it's appeal and 5 star accommodation where one can be cocooned and in any Country in the World doesn't do it for me. The garden is just wonderful and being a true Brit I liked the presence of the cats and their antics, fighting and begging at meal times all add to the flavour. I think someone else has said it is possibly not for you if you don't like cats/animals.

The food and drink at the hotel is the most reasonable I have encountered anywhere and having worked my way through most of the menu, it was all delicious, personal favourite Shakshouka (sp?) The breakfast is also great and really sets you up for the day. They will toast the bread if you ask and you can have fried, scrambled or boiled egg, oh and omlette.

We had a room on the top floor with a domed ceiling. Great views and also near the roof terrace. They have recently starting to illuminate the Theban Hills at night which looks really wonderful. It could get a bit nippy at night and early morning but there was a spare blanket in the cupboard which was never actually used and they also light a fire in a bbq thingy for the security guard.

I would say if you want manicured luxury then stay on the East Bank in a 5 star hotel but if you like character and local colour then El Fayrouz is the business. The staff were very friendly despite the worrying situation at the time of my stay and being put on shorter shifts. I miss it already and would go back tomorrow if I could.

Sorry the pics are not very good and are slightly irrelevant, if you have any questions please get in touch.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BerkshireBabe
Reviewed 6 February 2011

As described in the other reviews, this is an excellent place in Luxor.

It is located a few minutes from the ferry, close to a few restaurants and small groceries store, next door to stables where you can find camels or horses to ride and a short taxi ride away from the Valley of the Kings and the other temples.

The hotel is also very nice and clean. The garden restaurant is wonderful and a great polace to make new friends. The breakfast is very good. The service is excellent.

For Christmas eve, the hotel had a special buffet and Egyptian musiciams

We also always feel safe in the area

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank YingBernardFrancois
Reviewed 28 December 2010

The location on the West bank was perfect. There are bicycle and quad bike rental shops as well as horse/camels/donkey stables within a short walk. The ferry boat is also close by.

We stayed here 4 nights from De 9 - Dec 13.Great value for money for the hotel as well as the restaurant.
- Outdoors restaurant was very cozy, with a lot of trees and cats around. I would avoid the hotel if you dont like cats. We were there in mid-December and they made fires in the evening you could sit around. Very cozy atmosphere.
- The room was spacious with a lot of shelf space. We thought the pillow cases smelled and put towels over them. Cleanliness of bed sheets and pillow cases is something they could improve on. I'm not sure they change them for every guests Hot water worked properly. The bathroom can get a little messy as there are not shower certains.
- Friendly staff
- Super slow internet; lobby area has wifi
- The management arranged us a day trip to Dendara and Abydos EGP 650, and also another trip to Aswan, stopping at Edfu and Kom Ombo, for the same price. We were happy with these arrangements - very time saving and very convenient. The driver waited for us in front of the temples, we could leave our things the car, and we could take our time.
- Avoid arranging bicycal rentals /quad bike tours through them. For bikes they charged us EGP 20 which they actually rented from a bike shop 15 meters away from the hotel, where you can actaully negotiate for 10. Same for quad bike tours. Just dont rush into booking these things as you can find better deals by just being a little observant on your walk to the ferry.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple