El Fayrouz
US$45
US$33
Mercure
  • Pool
Pyramids Luxor Hotel(Luxor)(Great Value!)
US$23
US$30
US$56
US$49
  • Restaurant
Cleopatra Hotel Luxor(Luxor)(Great Value!)
US$16
Hotel Sheherazade(Luxor)(Great Value!)
US$32
US$25
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgarden restaurantwest banktop floorbudget hotelshort walkferrysitesvalleykingstourist
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 February 2012

As there is not a separate place to review hotel's outdoor restaurant I will add it here. I just have to, the restaurant must be one of the best on the west bank. Large menu, lots of delicious food to choose. Service is fast, friendly and for the food I will definitely go again and again. My Egyptian husband said also that the food is great. Also the settings are beautiful and the place is very peacefull. Price is cheap when you think the quality. I think kofta was 27 LE. They also serve beer.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2012

What we liked best about this hotel was that it is located in a family neighbor, just down the street from a mosque. We didn't feel like we were staying in a touristy area but in a regular Egyptian town with real people. Our room was very basic, but immaculately clean and spacious, attached to a bathroom with a nice hot shower. All of the staff genuinely friendly, down to earth, and professional. No hassles at all for tips. And in the hotel's outdoor restaurant, I had no problem finding tasty vegetarian meals. We also enjoyed meeting a very friendly and interesting local man and his Italian wife during dinner on New Year's Eve. My husband and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If cigarette smoke bothers you, ask for a room on the highest floor. The "Hassan Fathi" style rooms have a very nice dome ceiling - keeps the room a bit warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katie M
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I have to preface this with why this place matters and is worth finding. What is commonly called "Hassle" in Egypt is not dangerous or particularly ruinous, but it certainly grates on you. and when you get to Luxor, you will find out just how far hassle really can go. Ever step every day was another encounter with yet another "tout" who wanted to take us somewhere we did not want to go. One day we hailed three taxis in a row requesting to take us somewhere. All three took us where we DIDN'T want to go to the same multi-level tourist market. I was apoplectic and felt like I had fallen down the rabbit hole. I told the third what happened with the first two, and made him promise to take us where we wanted to go. He took us there anyway.

Which all leads me to the importance and value of the Fayrouz! When you walk into El Fayrouz the first thing you notice is that they are not trying to sell you a feluca ride, a tour of the tombs, or anything for that matter. I had to ask, and yes, it is owned by Europeans. The staff is all aimiable Egyptians, but it is clear that they understand that hassle ends at the gate.

All through El Fayrouz are outdoor patios, porches and rooftop decks where you can sit and watch the Nile glide by and drink beer alone or with friends in peace. This never felt so good as it did after a day of telling literally hundreds of folks No Thank You. The place is clean, spartan in furnishings in a good way, and as comfortable as grandma's house. And at $29 a night with AC and hot water, we were really very reluctant to leave. It is the kind of place where you do the math to see if you could afford to come there for three months to write that novel you always dreamed of.

The El Fayrouz is on the west bank but the crossing on the ferry to the main town is 19 cents American or spend $1.50 american and any one of a hundred boatsman will take you across any time day or night in five minutes. Really the excuse to be out on the Nile so often is a welcome respite, although the boatsman may take the whole trip to tell you about his cousin the tomb guide who has a nice car and.......

The hotel is down an alley that looks a bit dodgy at first but by the end of the first day you will know all the alley residents by face and they will all wave to you as you walk by. Go to the Winter Palace for your tea and biscuits, but stay at Al Fayrouz for your peace of mind. We loved the place and loved supporting their business.

Room Tip: The top rooms are lovely with the best views but it got pretty impossibly hot up there at mid day in summer.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank providenceTim
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I had to enter one specific month in the 'When did you stay here?' box but in fact I have been spending whole winters here for several years. The hotel is popular with archaeologists who also winter here during the digging season.
It is impossible to speak too highly of the place. The rooms are large and comfortable. The food is excellent. The place is extremely clean, the staff superb and the price reasonable.
It is well placed for crossing the Nile to the East Bank and for visiting the historical sights on the West Bank. I need a quiet environment for my writing and the large, beautiful garden is perfect for this.
One of the most important factors for travellers is security and in this respect The Hotel Fayrouz is tops. Michael

Room Tip: Give the management as much notice as possible. Book well in advance. Even if you can't, they will do their best for you.
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
7  Thank michaelhorrex
Reviewed 13 June 2011

To be fair I live in Luxor so I did not stay but friends did I saw the room everything was great.... But the restaurant in the lovely garden was to die for great food and good service plus extensive menu and very good prices!!!!!!
Its my favourite restaurant on west bank... Going tonight

• Stayed: June 2011