“Great hotel - as always - missing the place already!”
Review of Iberotel Luxor

Iberotel Luxor
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Shropshire
“Great hotel - as always - missing the place already!”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We returned to the Iberotel for a second time as we had such a great time last year. It was lovely to see that despite the lack of tourists since the revolution (or should that be revelation as some guests insisted on calling it!), that the hotel staff are still the same as in the previous year. As this was our unofficial honeymoon, we were on the top floor again with a Nile view which is the best way to see this hotel and Luxor. The views are breathtaking from the balcony and its a great way to see in and see out each hot, hot, hot day. Temperatures are high at this time of the year which we love, but please, if you are not a fan of the sun, then Luxor is probably not for you.
The staff are friendly, attentive and all have a superb sense of humour. The food is good, plenty of choice (although our second week did fall into Ramadan so the food became a little blander but not inedible in any way shape or form). You can order food from the snack menu and eat either pool side, on the terrace or in the air conditioned bar area. The reception staff are friendly, attentive and all speak good english, as do the rest of the hotel staff. The rooms are very comfortable (beds are uber comfortable and Im tempted to contact the hotel to find out where they get them from!), with everything in good working order. If you are expecting a million TV channels, then take some good books with you, but seriously, when you are in Luxor, there are so many other things to do than watch TV.
As Luxor is quiet at the moment, Kalesh drivers (horse and cart) and taxi drivers will be waiting outside of the hotel to see if they can get a fare. Please be courteous and respectful if you dont want either of them. Please remember, the Egyptians are possibly one of the friendliest groups of people on the planet and hospitality really is their thing. They are genuinely struggling to put food on their tables so they will work a little bit harder to see if they can take you somewhere. If you really dont want it, just be firm but polite and say so - there is no need for rudeness, which unfortunately, we saw a lot of this year (from British tourists, Im ashamed to say). The local market is definately the place to shop, not the tourist souk -they are right next to each other and you will know when you have hit the local market as the cobbled walkays will have disappeared. The souk is fantastic and a great place to haggle for those leather goods, clothes, jewellry etc etc - I cant get enough of the place as you can also sit and watch local life, sipping a mint tea or karkadeh. Just remember, if you dont have much money when you are there or you are dubious about being ripped off , a genuine smile will cost nothing but will get you a lot more!

One other thing - next to the pool, you will see a white motorboat owned by a local lad who calls himself Craig David. His real name is Mohammed and this guy is an absolute jewel of the Nile! He takes day trips to Banana Island, Felucca rides and trips to the West Bank. As we have been to Luxor quite a few times, we were interested in the swimming in the Nile. This was possibly one of the most special experiences Ive ever had in Egypt (and we have been going for 7 years!)- swimming in the cool water with my husband, Mohammed, Abdul and Faizel - worries, stress and poverty went out of the proverbial window. We splashed, dunked, leaped, whooped, jumped and splashed a bit more - for me as the only girl, it was like having a gang of big brothers all intent on soaking me- the best fun! We were out for 2 hours, drinking mint tea, watching the locals swimming too and enjoying the coolness after another hot day for a whole £10 - may seem like a lot, but was worth every single penny! Floating back to the hotel as the sun is going down, is an absolute must for anyone! Mohammed is a genuine guy as are his comrades/buddies who will genuinely do their best to ensure you enjoy your time in Luxor. His mint tea is the best and as I write this, I am sipping some that he gave me to bring home. You must go and see him, even just for a chat and a drink.
Overall, we had a blast and would return to this hotel again. Its centrally located so temples and souks and downtown is within walking distance. The great restaurants (Puddleducks, Taste of India, Snobs etc) are also within walking distance so you cant go wrong with this hotel

Room Tip: Rooms on the Nile side are quieter and the views are wonderful. It is worth waiting until you get t...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CharmSharm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Arabic first
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 19 July 2012

This is the second time I have been to this Hotel with my family. On arrival all the paperwork had been completed from old reservation forms previous. Was greeted by Mohammed an old friend and treated to a great Family welcome by those staff who instantly recognised us from last year.
i heared complaints that the rooms are dated and the food was not good. Well yes the rooms are not modern but are exceptionally clean with comfortable beds and free air con. The cleaners do an amazing job and are exceptionally honest too. I love this hotel firstly the view is just stunning. The staff are wonderful and really do work so hard to make your stay a memorable one.
My only gripe was the behaviour of some holiday makers towards the Egyptian staff. These people are poor and earn the equivallant of £30 to £50 a month so when a tourist opens up his wallet containing several hundred pounds sterling it really isn't fair. To treat the staff as slaves is simply not on and I was ashamed to say that i told people I was from Northern Ireland rather than being from England where I grew up. To hear someone shout. "Oi chief, another beer over here." was simply rude. The person concerned being no more than 10feet from the pool bar.
The staff work long hours and very hard to keep the place immaculate. They are warm, kind and very accomodating so please treat them as you would wish to be treated.
This hotel has a great pool and as all inclusive goes the food is pretty darn good.
Would certainly return.

Room Tip: Book Nile view room. Prepare for a lot of hasssle once you leave the front door of hotel. Reception...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Munters
Blenheim, Marlborough, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Spent 4 nights here, to explore Luxor, and found it a pleasant experience. Staff were very helpful and friendly, good variety for breakfast. Very few tourists in the area when we stayed, so Hotel was quiet. Overall, would not hesitate in staying again.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a room overlooking the Nile.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dave M
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Me and my wife had our honeymoon here. Great service from all especially mr Liverpool! Great location and trips from Craig David are a must. Also a guy called hassan was extremely great who let us swim in the Nile after we visited the banana island. Great fun. Only downside was when we arrived in our Nile view room we didn't have a double bed, we asked reception about this to which they said they didn't do double beds. We were delayed 24 hours on the way home and ended up staying here an extra night. Upon returning we were given a room with a double bed. So after speaking to the manager to ask what had happened to our double bed during the week, his attitude stunk. Very abrupt and sharp and had no explanation as to what went on and still to this day never apologised. All in all had a great week until speaking to the manager. The chef in kitchen is amazing and will cook u anything u want if u get talking to him.
Graham newcastle

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Graham8888
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I'll keep it simple, this hotel was clean, quiet, well-priced, and had very friendly, helpful staff (especially Ahmed). It's got an amazing location...walkable to Luxor Temple, the train station, and several restaurants. (including the sole Indian restaurant in Luxor which I highly recommend). The grounds are well kept with lush greenery. The pool area is really beautiful, especially at night when you can see The Valley of the Kings lit up across the Nile. Breakfast in the morning offered great choice and good taste. Sure there's a bit of hassle outside with the caleche drivers laying in wait..but there's not much the hotel can do about that. Taxis also wait around outside and there is one driver we'd recommend...Nasr Ahmed. We got him to take us to the Temple of Karnack, Valley of the Kings and a few other sites. He was really reasonably priced, waited for us at each destination, never tried to take us anywhere we didn't want to go or sell us anything we didn't want. If I was going to Luxor again I would definitely choose the Iberotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IBeenBattuta
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2012

This is my first ever review I hope you find it helpful.
I've traveled to many countries that claim that in the midday sun you could fry an egg on the pavement, in Luxor you could grill a steak.
Outside the Iberotel, on the roundabout there is a large digital, day, date and temperature clock that measures the ambient air temperature, the average for the daytime was 53 degrees ( it once hit 56 ) and the best the cool of the night could offer was 41 degrees, as it only rains approximately once every 7 years in Luxor you are guaranteed great weather.
The Iberotel was just superb, it has the best location of them all, a 10 min walk from Luxor Temple and the bustling souk and the rear of the hotel is right beside the Nile. I have read previous reviews that complained that the decor and carpets in the rooms looked tired, WHO CARES ??,the beds were big, clean and comfortable, the sheets were changed every day and the view from our 5th floor balcony was simply stunning!, the river Nile and the Valley of the Kings beyond was just amazing!. The room key is a card and this is also used on entering the room to start your air-con, so take with you a worthless card (i.e. a store card) and leave this in the air-con slot so that it stays on while you are away, alternativley fold up some cardboard and use that instead.
The food at the hotel was very nice, no complaints, in the afternoon you could order food from either the pool bar or the Karkedeh bar from a menu and it would be cooked for you, I recommend the BBQ chicken, beautiful!.The staff were great, Mahmoud and Ashraf in the bar, Lateef and others in the restaurant providing many laughs.
When you walk out of the hotel you will need the combined patience of 27 Buddhist monks as the hassle you get from the kelesh drivers, taxi drivers and felluca owners is quite intense, but they do eventually take no for an answer and after a while you will see the funny side (honestly), they even shout up to you on your balcony,
My best tip for you is the trips. DO NOT purchase any trips prior to your arrival and certainly DO NOT purchase any from your rep, on your welcome meeting you will be feed all kinds of nonsense about not buying trips from the locals, well let me enlighten you, my partner and I took a hot air balloon trip organised by Craig David ( I will come on to him shortly), we stood in the same basket with 2 people who had purchased their trip with the rep, the cost to them £90 each, the cost to us £30 each, same basket, same balloon , same pilot, same insurance!. All the trips through the rep are at least double the actual price and sometimes even more, steer well clear!.
Craig David (Mohamed) can be found on the small white motor boat to the right of the swimming pool, If you want trips talk to Craig, he is trustworthy and absolutely genuine. he organised a trip for us to the Valley of the King's, he sailed us across the Nile to where we met the transport, we then picked up our guide for the trip, Mohamed, he speaks perfect English and is a qualified Egyptologist spending his final years at Cairo Museum, he bought the whole valley to life for us, what a fantastic trip!!!!. Two days later, again organised by Craig we visited the Valley of the Artists and Howard Carters house accompanied by Mohamed, Brilliant !.
I know that the manager of the Iberotel reads these reviews regularly so I would like to explain why I gave this hotel a rating of very good and not excellent, I feel that there are 3 things that could be improved and I hope they will be.
Even though we are all inclusive every meal and every drink that you have from the hotel has to be signed for, a large brandy and coke from the bar requires you to sign twice (once for the brandy and once for the coke), by the end of the fortnight I must have signed 500 times, it is ridiculous, surely the management can come up with a better system than this,
When ordering a beer from the bar, the waiter opens a bottle and pours some of it in your half pint glass, he then presses the top back on and puts the bottle in the fridge, when the next person orders a beer he gets the bottle back out and pours the contents into their glass and opens another bottle to top it up, putting the remainder back in the fridge. how ridiculous, when we order a beer GIVE US THE WHOLE BOTTLE.
And finally the entertainment, The elevator music played in the bar and restaurant is mind-numbingly boring, this needs to be addressed. On our last night but one, we were informed that we were having live music in the bar, an Egyptian guy playing keyboards and violin, the man was delusional, he must have been stone deaf, even the staff were laughing, rumour had it that he had just come second to last in the new Egyptian TV series "Arabs got NO talent" he would have come last but the guy who initially won the competition was later disqualified for cheating, he did the Michael Jackson moon walk but it was discovered that he was walking normally and wearing his trousers back to front, ( not really, I just made it up).
Seriously, the entertainment could be improved.
Well that's about it .
Sort out these 3 problems and the Iberotel will truly be the best Hotel in Luxor bar none.
If you decide to go to this hotel and you enjoyed my review please do me one favour, when you meet Craig David tell him that you saw his name on the internet (you will make his day)and please tell him that you were sent by Mr Dave and Miss Lovely to try his famous mint tea.
Thank you.

Room Tip: A room on the 4th or 5th floor is a must, room 511 gives you the Nile view and also a good street vi...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank CODDER1
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This is by far the best hotel in Luxor. While the rooms are smaller than what other hotels offer, for me they are only a place to rest my head. The service here is exceptional. So many times I hear people complain that the food is the same every day. Speak to the chef. He will make anything you ask. The service is second to none. At breakfast you are treated to the infectious Mr Liverpool, Khaled who will insist on telling you several times how he loves his job. Lateef will high five you every time he passes, and Rafaat will ensure you have the best sunbed every day. A very personal service is offered here, and it is clear that the staff have a good raport with each other. Of course you will be hassled by kalesh drivers, and taxi drivers, and felucca owners, but this is their way. They do not have income support here, so they rely on us, the rarely spotted tourist to support their families. Just a polite "no thank you" should suffice. Yes, they can be persistent, but they are just trying to earn a living. The horses look skinny, but that is because they do not need body fat to keep warm. They are well looked after, and please be advised that if you see a horse that looks unwell, make a note of the carriage number displayed on the back and report it to the tourist police. The horse will immediately be taken off the street until it has been looked at by the free vet from the Brooke horse hospital. The city is clean, and fun. Do look out for Shakespear, the felucca owner usually found by Sinbads restaurant. He is a very funny engaging man who will tell you many stories that will make you realise, that despite the current situation over there, why Egyptians are proud and happy people. Enjoy your stay. Embrace the lifestyle. The hotel is amazing, and the staff there will make sure that your every need is catered for.

Room Tip: The street view rooms are the best.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo