“Nice hotel, but overly firendly Chef....”
Review of Iberotel Luxor

Iberotel Luxor
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Abu Dhabi
“Nice hotel, but overly firendly Chef....”
Reviewed 26 December 2008

I was expecting to relax a bit while in Luxor, but my time there, came to an early end, because of the slimey guys there. First of all, I stayed at the Iberotel Hotel. It was quite nice and basically on the Corniche. However, the receptionists are TOTALLY unhelpful and couldn't care less about answering any quetions you may have about the area, and have no interest in helping with taxis or how much you should pay, etc. they were quite rude actually and I heard this from many people. so..not just me...I heard this complaint from people staying in other hotels in Luxor also though, They said the receptionists are all snobs and really have no interest or desire to help. Ok. so, I check in, the room was very comfortable, and the restaurant I ate at was very good. I ate at the Italian restaurant there, can't remember the name, but it's at the hotel, so, wouldn't be hard to find out. I sat outside, was alone, I was enjoying the quietness. seemed I was one of the few eating at the time, although it was round 6pm. There were also a few Japanese tourists who were sitting inside the restaurant...so i'm sitting, the waiter, a handsome (well, pretty handsome),Eygptian guy comes out. He was pretty helpful, telling me where to go, etc. but I also felt he was hitting on me. As he'd say things like, "be careful of the men in Luxor, they will be after you too much when they see you are alone, and also you are beautiful". (ok, I may be attractive to some, but beautiful? ) anyhow, a woman knows when she's being hit on, I just ignored it, and he was friendly enough so I enjoyed talking to him. Well, I am eating, and a few minutes later, the Chef comes outside to talk to me...He asks me where I'm from, and he's like, You're alone? I said ,yes, I am, so? And he proceeds to invite me to his home after his shift will finish at 10 pm..I'm like, "excuse me? he says, yes, i can bring you to my home after my duty is finished, we can have nice times...to which I ansered as politely as I could, "and why would I want to go to some strange man's home, and what the hell do you think I am? and who are you to even talk to me?" So he says, "oh, you misunderstand me, of course my wife is there, and my children, you will meet them also, oh you think I am bad? " omg, i was like, pal, get away from me or I"ll have to report you....his intentions were clear..he just got nervous when he saw i was severly pissed off! and he had to back track...(by the way, to anyone who may think I look like some1 whos looking for sex, I dress modestly and I'm an avid traveller, I've been to several countries, but never had to deal with such sleaziness). ...As far as the hotel,it's comfortable, clean room, the TV didn't have much on it, but I didn't care as I wasn't there to watch TV, the receptionist were unhelpful (especially the women) the guys were friendlier...the restaurant did have excellent food, Oh and almost forgot, the breakfast buffet I thought was great as were the staff who worked for it, from the Chef to the waiters, the waiters were friendly and enjoyed a good laugh, So that part of it was very good....I would def. recommend the place..and if you don't mind being hit on by men, then go to Luxor...that's not my thing, not at that time at least..;)

• Liked — Comfortable room, good breakfast buffet, good location
  • Disliked — The receptionists, snobby and unhelpful
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank Just me M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Arabic first
uk
Reviewed 21 December 2008

My third visit here - previous two when it was the Novotel. Booked through Thomson (I couldn't get a better price myself) and upgraded to Nile View room - definitely recommended. Its not the swankiest hotel by any means but I just love it for its location right at the edge of the Corniche and so easy to walk to everywhere. The gardens going down to the Nile, views to the West bank, and the swimming pool floating on the Nile - this would be even better if the boats next door could be persuaded to use the other end of their mooring rather than abut right up to the pool. Breakfasts are excellent with plenty of choice although I can't understand why they use such a poor grade of orange juice when the country abounds with the fresh stuff. Its not a massive hotel which is all to the better as I always felt the service was very personal and it was easy to get to know how everything worked and develop a rapport with the always helpful staff. Highly recommended

• Liked — its location
  • Disliked — the orange juice!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jevvy
GMLuxor, Hotel General Manager at Iberotel Luxor, responded to this review, 2 January 2009
Dear Sir / Madame;
Thank you for your support to our Iberotel Luxor. We are delighted to know that our hotel services and stff members were up to your expecations, and we are really looking forward to welcome you back to Luxor City soon. On behlaf of the management team and staff members; I would like to take this chance to wish you an enjoyable holiday season, and a very happy new start for the year 2009. Assuring you of our best services and attention all the times; we will always remain. Please accept our warmest regards - Tamer.

London
Reviewed 14 December 2008

Great hotel and a perfect location.I went with my wife for a 7 day break and found the hotel to be perfect with friendly staff and good food.The breakfast is superb and having breakfast outside on the terrace on a November morning is a big plus.
The rooms were spotless and a good decor although slightly dated.
However,I will never return to Egypt again due to constant hassle from Taxi drivers/souvenir traders etc.
Everbody has to make a living but these people will not take "NO "for an answer and they can be down right rude.

Stayed November 2008
4 Thank Mex31
GMLuxor, Hotel General Manager at Iberotel Luxor, responded to this review, 3 January 2009

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 6 December 2008

The property was great. the only unfortunate thing was that we couldn't get a late check out. we went for a hot air balloon ride at like 5 in the morning and would have appreciated a little bit longer in the hotel room but it wasn't a big deal.

cleanliness: very clean

location: not that bad. hotel will call a cab for you if needed. a bank near by if you need to do exchanges.

food: went to restaurants near the nile, but the restaurant in the hotel was decent

luxor temple and karnak are both fairly close by.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — no late check out
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank Taipeiworldlywise
uk
Reviewed 4 December 2008

Stayed in the Iberotel from the 26 Nov. to the 3 Dec. in from 504 overlooking the Nile. The view was truley spectaclar and is well worth paying extra.
The room was clean and spacious with a TV, safe and fridge. Initially I was unable to operate the safe and called the reception. Within 5 minutes a man arrived and replaced the battery which rectified the problem. I was very impressed with the speed and efficiency of the staff.
The hotel has a good size pool with a snack bar selling tasteful meals. We partcularly liked the tuna salad. There are also two other restaurants, a Chinese and an Italian. The two meals we had at the Chinese were probably the best Chinese meals we've ever had, and we have had a lot of Chinese meals. We also had a meal at the Italian which was nice. But it was more authentic than the UK Italian restaurants and there was less garlic and herds used in the food (the UK Italian restaurants have a touch of French in them). The Beef in Egypt also tasted different from the UK beef and was more lean.
Breakfast consisted of an array of everything, both hot and cold and the staff were always on hand to top your cup up with tea or coffee, with a happy smile and without being asked to do so.
The boys in the shops outside are also helpful and will sell you cards to use in the adjacent phone booths, which is much cheaper than using your mobile to phone home.
I used one non hotel restaurant El Kebaby (not sure of the exact spelling) The food here was only medeocure, the potions were small and was as expensive as a hotel meal. After this experience we stuck to hotel meals which were much better.
Another bit of advise is if you book an excursion DO NOT book a guide! We booked a guide and he was only interested in milking us of our money. His English was also poor and was suppose to have been accredited by the government. He told us we should only allow him to buy items for us and took us to an alabaster shop which was a complete rip-off. The shops outside the hotel were cheaper told me that guides receive a 60% commission on purchases. Before we finished he asked us for his tip, which incidently I was still going to give him and the driver a customery tip, even though the service he provided was poor, when I gave him 20LE he sulked and I therefore gave him another 10LE. Also at the boat he started arguing with Hasan the guy who organised the trip and wanted more money. There were also other problems with the guide that Hasan is aware of.
Overall the hotel was excellent.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — Cost of alcholic drinks
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bengalaxy
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 2 December 2008

Perfect location on the Nile. Very good and friendly staff. Nice rooms, though try hard not to get one overlooking the street, which can be noisy. Attractive riverside garden and floating pool. The Italian restaurant - according to my sister who lives in Rome and so should know - was excellent. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Egyptian wine, whach had been terrible the last time I had tasted it 32 years ago. Breakfasts really good - except that the orange juice was not fresh.
But do not take the advertised starlight sailing trip, which I suspect they subcontract out, unless you don't mind a motorboat instead with an incompetent skipper. We complained, and received a graceful apology from the hotel manager and a free meal at the Italian restaurant. But the advertisement was not changed, as had been promised.

• Liked — Location and staff
  • Disliked — Everything seemed beige
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank JolyonKay
Dear Sir / Madame;
Thank you for your support to our Iberotel Luxor. We are delighted to know that our hotel services and stff members were up to your expecations, and we are really looking forward to welcome you back to Luxor City soon. Re to your comment regarding the boat; as explained to your goodself; that during the night time; saling boats are not allowed to sail due to security reasons, as well as usually there is not enough wind for sailing. The new Adv is being reviwed by our Corporate Office, and as soon as we receive the final approval, we will repalce the current one. However we do notify our guests when they book the Dinner on the Nile, about the motor boat issue. AsOn behlaf of the management team and staff members; I would like to take this chance to wish you an enjoyable holiday season, and a very happy new start for the year 2009. Assuring you of our best services and attention all the times; we will always remain. Please accept our warmest regards - Tamer.

manila
Reviewed 30 November 2008

very charming hotel facing the Nile river....unique with its floating pool.

I have stayed at Le baron and Oasis at Cairo, and Iberhotel is definitely the best hotel I stayed in Egypt.

Attentive and Smiling service, all staff speaking english, and a fun breakfast animated by the egg station cook....whom always has a joke to tell.

all rooms equipped with balcony....

If you have not taken the more expensive rooms facing the Nile...try to get rooms #38 whatever the floor is....so you can see the Nile as well as watch the daily life on the street.

windows have good insulation for a night sleep.

Luxor monument is a walking distance by the corniche...and karnak is a bit more away....

Met Mohamad the Nubian caleche master by the smalll roundabout facing the hotel...always smiling and ready to beat tour prices to visit the Valley of the kings located on the other river side bank.....at 200 LE......its a cool deal

• Liked — the view, the service
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple