“Not Very Happy Land”
Review of Happy Land Hotel

Happy Land Hotel
Ranked #10 of 37 Speciality Lodging in Luxor
Reviewed 16 December 2008

I am rather amazed that this hotel had several positive reviews. There were some reasonable things about it....the price and some of the staff, but the owner was loud, angry and aggressive! The tour to the Valley of the Kings was with a great guide (Issac), but the rest of the tours or transportation that was organized were not very good. My room was spartan but clean, but the location is not very good. Also, although I am hardly EVER bothered by noise, it was nearly impossible to sleep because of the owner always yelling at someone or another, or the night staff were doing the same.

There are many other places in Luxor that are superior in every way to Happy Land, and I wouldn't bother recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank Katrianav
There are newer reviews for Happy Land Hotel

Reviewed 16 July 2008

Other than our AC which was a bit dodgy Happy land was great! They organized a few things for us at a good price and the staff were very helpful. By far the best breakfast in Egypt! Ultra clean rooms in a quiet location about 5 min walk from luxor temple.
Would stay again if i was in that part of the world again.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 31 October 2007

We booked the Happyland hotel during our stay in Cairo, we decided to visit Luxor for the day and needed a place for a few hours rest before we flew back on the night.

The hotel as advertised was very clean and close to the main road. The rooms are practical and ideal for anyone on a tight budget or like us just using for a short stay.

However, we found while we were there that the hotel may be supplamenting the cheap room prices with overpriced tours, in our case we were told that the price of the tour was 5 times more than what was quoted over the phone. Even though I went through all the costs over the phone we were made to look stupid at the front desk and told that there was a "misunderstanding".

I was convinced there was no misunderstanding and stood my ground, my brother told me to pay the extra amount as in the scheme of things it was peanuts, but I refused as a matter of principal. I decided to cancel our tour with the hotel and decided to use a local Taxi driver to visit the Valley of the Kings and other monuments.

On leaving the hotel in the evening I noticed the owner (Mr Ibrahim) who I had spoke to on the phone the day before, he failed to acknowledge us which we took as a sign of his disappointment that he did not get his way!!

I have since read other review were travellers have had "misunderstandings" when they reached Happyland Hotel, I am glad we did not fall for the trap!!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank hml786
Reviewed 26 June 2007

We had a great time at the Happy Land Hotel in Luxor, Egypt. The owner made every attempt to provide a great stay for us. He set up a very affordable package with a private guide and driver to tour the ruins and for a sunset felucca ride on the Nile. The hotel is clean, the owner prides himself on being an honest businessman who gives you value for your money. We highly recommend it.

Leon and Carolyn

• Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed 24 June 2007

This is not a hotel in the traditional sense. Its much more like a hostel, as there are no tv's in the rooms, made beds, etc. But if your a backpacker the rooms are normal backpacker rooms, a little grimy but not too much. For $7 or so dollars a day you don't expect tv's, just a room with a light bulb and cot. The food served on the roof is however very good, and you get a chance to chatter with other backpackers, which can be informative. A TV is on the roof, but only showed Arablian shows. The staff that operate the hotel are pleasant and informative. The hotel itself is down an alley, which may seem iffy.
However it its well lit during the daytime.. The only problem I found with the hotel is the excursions they offer, the backpackers there I spoke with were very upset with delays for a prepaid trip by boat.
I booked a Nile felluca boat ride that didn't last as long as i asked, 2hrs short., and cost more than what I would have paid had I gone down to the boat docks and bargained. Hotel okay based on your expectations.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2007

PROS:

For 55 Egyptian Pounds per night, you get a single room (with a double bed), a private bathroom, and a generous breakfast each morning (cereal, milk, lemonade, fruit salad with crepes, bread, jam, butter, and coffee).

The rooms also come with mosquito coils, soap, two decent sized towels, some have a fridge, all have AC, and all include toilet paper. A nice thing about this hotel is you get fresh sheets, and towels every day.

Happy Land Hotel, like other budget hotels, also rents out bikes. They charge 10 Egyptian pounds for the day. My advice is rent a bike on the West Bank. That way you can avoid the annoyances of touts who want to help you cross the Nile (and you'll save yourself 1 pound and a headache by not taking a bike on the local ferry).

Bottled water at the hotel is pretty cheap at 1.5L for 2EL.

Although the hotel is not licensed, you can drink beer/wine in your own room.

There's a restaurant located on the roof terrace. It's pricey, but some of the meals are amazing. Try the club sandwhich, it'll leave your mouth watering for more. Neat thing about the restaurant is if it's a cool night, or you just want to eat by yourself, you can take your dishes down to your room (provided you return the plates when you're done).

If cheaper fare is your style, there's a real cheap restaurant further down the street (it's to your left, near the end of the street, when you exit the hotel).

There are two very handy maps of Luxor in the lobby. It would be nice if the Hotel offered small paper versions of those maps, to make it easy to navigate around town.

Front desk service is friendly. My advice is don't book a donkey or felucca ride through the hotel (unless you hate bargaining and haggling, or you’re afraid that a tout will ask you for $50US! to get off his donkey). If you like to bargain, and you’re no stranger to haggling, you'll find better deals where the donkeys and feluccas are actually located. If you're in a group, then the deals through the hotel may actually be better than bargaining on your own.

In any case, if you ask the front desk, they'll tell you what you should be paying for ferries, for museums, and for taxis (and at that they are very honest and knowledgeable).

Many nationalities use this hotel. When I stayed, there was a French woman, a couple of Germans, an Australian, some Scandinavians, a Japanese and some Chinese tourists.

Laundry service is available at the hotel. It was pretty cheap for me. I did a huge load for 14EL.

Also, if your train/flight leaves late in the day (i.e. past noon, which is checkout time), you can leave your bags in a room on the rooftop. There was no charge for this service. You can also take a free shower after you've checked out (just make sure you bring your own towel for that one).

CONS:
Location. Happy Land Hotel is a bit out of the way, but it is in a quiet, albeit decrepit looking street. The nice thing is it's real close to Nile street (the main drag). When you exit the hotel, hang a right, take your second left, and then hang a right.

The only down side to this proximity to Nile street is finding your way back. I got a little lost trying to find the hotel agian. If the hotel provided its customers with photocopies of the maps in the lobby, it would make things so much easier.

The Hotel's internet is old school, telephone-modem style. Thankfully, there's a high speed internet place located just down the street (to the left when you exit, very near the cheap eatery).

Some of the stairs on the third floor are a little slippery so watch your step.

Overall opinion: an excellent budget hotel. Clean rooms, clean lobby, and clean rooftop terrace. Nice little restaurant, and very generous breakfast.

Stayed: February 2007
4  Thank Pepe27inSeoul
Reviewed 18 September 2006

Ah, in the hot desert you need a place that is clean, friendly, and cool. Happy Land gives you this and excellant food by Chef Haj.

These guys want you to be happy and they accomplish their goal!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends