“fine for a couple of days”
Review of Lotus Luxor Hotel

Lotus Luxor Hotel
Ranked #24 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed 29 December 2008

We travelled with a group of families and ended up three nights in this hotel. The hotel was nothing special but fine. We were unlucky because we had two rooms on the street sight, instead of the rooms with the great Nile views. I asked to get rooms on the Nile side but they were not very helpful. Even though I did not have the idea the hotel was full. But we slept well and the rooms were clean. The maids make figures on your bed with the towels; elephants, birds etc. I have never seen this before! They also do all your laundry very cheaply.
The breakfast was good. The swimming pool heated and the children enjoyed it. From the hotel you can get into a boat for a trip on the Nile; very nice.
The hotel was a bit noisy with load music coming from the hall way and the noise from the elevator. If you are sensitive for this you better check that you get a quiet room.
Next door is the Steigenberger hotel where you can eat a good pizza!

Stayed: December 2008

Reviewed 18 November 2008

Stayed here for a week, it's a nice clean hotel. Rooms are large and all have an amazing view of the Nile with the Valley of the Queens ( I think ) in the background.
Breakfast area was clean and the food choice is extensive. Loads of salads, breads, cereals, pastries, fresh omelettes made to order and also local foods.
Staff are friendly - our chamber maid made a funny animal with the clean towels everyday which was very amusing. My friend was poorly during our stay and the maid came back to the room with a vase of fresh flowers for her which was a nice touch.
Location is good, and there are some good shops just outside including a mini supermarket.
We didn't eat here, restaurant looked a bit boring, instead went to the big posh hotel to the left if you were outside looking at the Lotus ( it's got a German name that I don't remember ). That was something else. An amazing choice of restaurants. And great cocktails in the Cafe Delices.
Opposite the Lotus is an 'English' pub ( owned by an Egyptian ) which was a good place to go for a drink and a chat with local people.
Also opposite is a street with some good restaurants including Snobs and the Magic Lantern, both of which are good.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank LesaPink
Reviewed 12 November 2008

We had booked through reallifeeegypt.com, who were excellent for guides in Cairo & Luxor. Not so hot on hotel booking as they say they do not have the buying power to guarantee the standard you ask for - so best to book your own to be sure. We had asked fo the Nile Palace but at the last minute were told the booking was withdrawn, and ended up at the Lotus - which was OK.
The Lotus looks plusher that it is - grand entry, but small rooms with basic faciltiies : however it is very clean : friendly staff and all rooms have a view of sorts over the Nile. So if you only want to sleep there and use the public areas it's fine.
We didn't try the dinner, but it didn't look very appetising. Instead we walked 5 minutes away from the Corniche area to Maximes where food, service and price were all excellent.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 April 2008

My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights while in Luxor. We had a nice room with a view of the pool and the Nile beyond.

I really must highly recommend the cleaners, they always had a smile on their faces, and made cute figures out of the towels (it was surprising to find my towels reclining on my bed, wearing my sunglasses and smoking my cigarettes!).

There are internet facilities available which we used often! After being in Egypt for a few weeks, I didn't find it unusual that the receptionist and the porter came and watched me upload my photos and ask me questions, however if you are new to Egypt you might find this a bit intimidating.

They will also clean your clothes for a very small charge, however your clothes need to be very hardy, I think their cleaning chemicals are a bit harsh.

The pool was wonderful, use it as much as you can!

Breakfast was a little unusual, as well as the staple Egyptian breakfast of rolls, boiled egg and jam, I was surprised to open one of the heated pans to find potato chips (soggy and unappealing).

As you leave the building, you will be harassed by the people selling tours and horse carriage rides - do beware of these horse carriage people, fares should never be more than a taxi. Never tell them 'later' just to get rid of them, they will hold you to this and can be overly pushy.

Overall, the hotel was very nice with good facilities and attentive staff.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SmudgeNZ