“good hotel”

Ranked #25 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
lancashire, uk
“good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

we stayed at this hotel over easter with our 13 year old daughter. the hotel was spotlessly clean and the room was ok. the pool area is nice with a great view of the nile. the staff were very helpful, very pleasant with our blonde haired blue eyed daughter but not over familiar - its a nice break from the stresses of being in luxor!
the one thing this hotel is short of is a bar and evening entertainment. the pool bar serves drinks during the day but this closes very early so that when our daughter went up to bed we were stuck for something to do! there was a very nice bar just over the road and the hotel did have a bbq one evening which we really enjoyed as a family and it would have been nicer if we could have done this every night.
the people on the streets of luxor can be very hard work if not intimidating but you very quickly learn to say a very firm NO! as a result we didnt venture very far - there are lots of other hotels in the immediate area and a few good restaurants very close by so eating out wasn't a problem- we just would've liked a bar to come back to.
the hotel is a good base for all the local trips, we booked ours with a tour operator over the road and they were to a very high standard. the balloon trip is well worth its money but be prepared for all the local children crowding you at the end and take some pens etc as gifts.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
North Hollywood, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2009

My new wife and I stayed just one night at this hotel, and it was during the off-season (August is pretty toasty-warm in Egypt) so our experiences may differ from others. But we found the rooms charming, the service quite nice, and our room overlooked the nice pool and the Nile beyond. Gorgeous! Sure, it'd be nice if the pool hours were later into the evening, and my Mac had no luck logging onto the hotel's WiFi... but that's nit-picking. It's in a nice location too, within walking distance of some interesting Luxor sights. I'd certainly come back for a return visit.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RightAfterThis
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2009

This is the place people in the know go to in Luxor. By far the best hotel on our Egyptian tour. Right on the Nile with beautiful surroundings. Swimming pool is gorgeous. Staff could not have been better.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ZoeMor
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

I like to tell a little story about Egypt,Luxor and ofcourse the Lotus Hotel over the last 3 years!
The first time I visit Egypt, was in 2001 in hotel Arabella in Hurghada.You can say, a beach holiday, yes, but very nice!
But when we go to visit Luxor in a daytrrip, through the desert in de middle of the night and I saw all the stars in the sky from one to the other side of the road,I feel something happend to me.I fall in love with this country! So special!
In the years after that holiday, many times I think back of that special feeling that night.
So I decide in 2006 to go back to Egypt again and we make a beautiful nile-cruise for a week and one week after in hotel Le Meridien!( that time)
At once we are landed in Luxor I have that special feeling of coming home again!
We did the nile-cruise, with the lovely "Regina" cruiseboat and we take our rest after the cruise in Le Meridien.(next to The Lotus Hotel)
In that last week we talk with a lot of people, staff from Le Meridien, people from outside, in the shops in the street and also staff from hotel The Lotus!
We see and hear about Luxor from an other side.The side from people who live and work there. And again I feel myself very welcome and I get a lot of respect. Again I want to come back! To see, feel and know more about this country and his people!
In januari 2007 I decide again to go back to Luxor and this time to stay in the Lotus Hotel!
If you see both hotels, the Steigenberger Nile Palace( before Le Meridien) and the Lotus Hotel, ofcourse you see the difference.
The Lotus Hotel is for me a very nice hotel,after januari 2007 I come back there for 6 times.The last time was in june 2009. And I hope soon again!
Through all this time I see the Lotus Hotel is growing from a simple hotel to a nice, comfortable,higher class and friendly hotel. The staff is growing in speak every time better englisch, they are always very helpful, the waiters are better
dressed and I can see the positve drive from the hand of the General Manager..
In this 6 times I was in Luxor in the Lotus Hotel , I see some of the General Managers in person.
But most of the time I was there ,they are to busy to speak to me , or they were on a holiday.
Last januari and this time in june, I meet a mr Jamahl. I hope I wright his name well!
Always very polite, friendly and wish me good days again here in the Lotus Hotel.
At one evening I have a very nice and special talk with mr Jamahl and Chef Omar.
Outside, on the beautiful nile river, we talk about Egypt, the egypt people, about the Lotus Hotel and all his staff, about Europe, Holland, were I come from, Amsterdam and many other interesting things!
We sit there for hours, had a very nice time and I think we know each other a little bit better now. Also I realise that I see the hands from this Gen. Manager in many things in and around the Lotus Hotel!
Ofcourse, life is not only good or bad and to be honest, there are also things in this Lotus Hotel, that can be better, for example the very hard beds and the , not always clean, tablecloths in the restaurant. But you cannot do everything in one time, I know that very well.
I realise that this little story has become a big one, but when you decide to go to Luxor , go and stay in this nice hotel Lotus and you wil see for yourself what I try to tell you about it!!
Have a nice time there and enjoy!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2009

We had the unfortunate privilege of staying in this hotel as part of a trip to Luxor from the Red Sea. We booked the trip through a rep that was looking after the villa we were staying at.

We booked the trip when we were in Egypt, when we were told that the excursion would be staying at the Lotus hotel, we had a look on trip advisor, and most of the reviews looked good, so we went ahead and booked the excursion.

The Hotel:

The Lotus hotel is situated between 2 larger hotels, this is not necessary a bad thing. At the entrance for the hotel there are some traders that will give a bit of hassle when you walk in and out of the hotel, this is no great problem, but not what you expect when you walk into a decent hotel.

The hotel is on the banks of the Nile, and all rooms appear to have views of the Nile, but it does appear that the majority of the hotels in the area are on the banks of the Nile so this is no major selling point.

Reception:

The reception is a large open area with marble columns; it did look good.

We had been booked on half board. When we booked in we were told that dinner and breakfast were both from 7-10, as we were being picked up at 7:30pm for a night excursion, the person at the reception agreed that we could have an early dinner at 6:30pm which was appreciated.

The Room:

The first room we were given still had unmade beds…

The second room was at the right of the hotel that overlooked the swimming pool of the hotel next door. But there was a JCB in the middle of the swimming pool pulling the place apart. Even with the patio doors shut you could hear the noise.

The third room was on the left of the hotel; all you could here was the air conditioning of the hotel next door that seemed to run down the side of the hotel.

We eventually asked if we could upgrade, for an extra $20 we could get a suite. We had a look at the room, this was in the centre of the hotel, so was away from the noise on either side so agreed to upgrade.

Reception 2:
Asked if I could pay for the upgrade using a card, the hotel did not accept cards, but did have an ATM in the lobby where you could withdraw money to pay the hotel.

The Room 2:

As said we had a suite, the sitting room was an odd shape, with a couple of settees and chairs.

The bedroom had a king-size bed. A mini bar, that was empty and the door had one hinge, so it fell off if you opened the door. There was also one glass (double room….).

There was air conditioning, I do not think I have seen a bigger air conditioning unit within a room, it was the size of something that you see on refrigerated trucks, and it made as much noise as a truck

The en-suite was ok, but not somewhere you would want to spend too much time.

When my wife was looking for a hair drier there was none in the room, I phoned reception to ask about a hairdryer, I was told the hotel had 2 but they were both out. They would let me know when one was available. As my wife was standing with wet hair, this did not go down too well.

Restaurant:

As I said, we were booked on half board had had an early dinner. When we arrived in the restaurant after 6:30pm, the staff had no knowledge of this, but they did agree to serve us.

There were probably about 15-20 large round tables in the restaurant, of this 3 tables were set of for dinner with about 6 places set at each table.

At the first table we were indicated to go to had dried in food on the tablecloth, it was the same with the second and third table. We eventually settled for a table that was not set up and only had what looked like a small bit of dried egg on the tablecloth.

The menu was a set menu, we settled for the grilled chicken for the main course (all the mains appeared to be different cuts of chicken grilled). As we waited for the food the resident flies entertained us. The waiter eventually came over and tried to chase the flies out the door using a napkin like a Spanish Matador. The flies were obviously fly to this and circled round back to the table. But it did pass the time.

The soup we did not order arrived, the waiter could not believe that someone did not want a starter, but he did eventually take it away.

The chicken was ok, but the rest of the dish let it down.

Restaurant 2:

Back to the restaurant for breakfast.

Again there was 3 tables set up for breakfast, (the same tables that were set for dinner) we did end up sitting at a table that had a dirty table cloth from the previous night. The table was set for 6. There was a jug of hot water on the table, one sachet of Nescafe and 3 tea bags. Glad we were down early.

This is a buffet. I am not a fan of buffet breakfast, but this has to be one of the worst I have seen. Eventually settled for an omelette that was cooked fresh. Only problem was it was not raw. So coffee for breakfast.

Reception 3:

We were getting picked up at 8:30am, and was down at the reception about 10 minutes early. So thought we would have time to check out email on the PC’s in the lobby, but the Internet is not available until after 9am.

If you want a cheap no frills hotel with a Nile view the Lotus is probably ok, but if you prefer a bit of comfort and edible food it would be better to look else where.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kritikos-1
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2009

The hotel was very neat and clean. The staff were very helpfull, they went out of their way to help us. Especially Adam who gave us a very warm welcome. He accompanied us to our luxury room on the first floor. The room was split into 2 spacious living rooms and a kingsize bedroom. The view from the balcony was breathtaking overlooking the river Nile and Valley of the Kings. We couldn't have asked for anything better. Have to mention Adam especially for looking after us and all the other staff were excellent.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank RahmanFamily
san jose
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

We stayed at the Lotus hotel last December. Clean rooms, decent breakfast and nice location. It's right next to the Nile and depending on your room, you can get a good view of the Nile from the balcony. The location is good and you can walk to the kosheri joint recommended by LP. We did that, but it was closed :( For the price, it is a great hotel. They have a nice swimming pool and internet access (paid). Internet access was expensive compared to places outside the hotel.

Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple