“Fab choice”

and 1 more site!
Lotus Luxor Hotel
Ranked #25 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed 13 February 2010

At 300 EGP per night for single occupancy this hotel was slightly higher than the budget I'd set for myself, but when I checked the room out and walked out onto the balcony to be greeted by the 180 degree view of the Nile it was cheap at the cost.
I was amazed by the value of this place compared to other similar cost hotels I'd stayed in. The hotel is modern and attractive and very professionally run. My room was a good size with a very large bed, modern bathroom, tv and fridge - and that balcony where every morning I delighted in throwing the french doors to be greeted by a host of hot air balloons floating over the far bank of the Nile.
The balcony also overlooks the attractive riverside sun lounging terrace and pool.
Breakfast was buffet style and there was a very good range of hot and cold foods and I had omelettes to order every day which the chef is happy to prepare.
The only slight cloud on the horizon is that the area to the right of the hotel is empty and clearly being prepared for construction to start soon. The 180 degree view of the nile could be seriously reduced if the new hotel is not sensitively built.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Paspatout

Reviewed 9 February 2010

This hotel is rated 3star by Thomas Cook. It to me is a ten! It is flanked by two giants, the Sonnesta and Nile Palace, for me there is no contest. It was kept spotless, staff could be seen all day cleaning and polishing. The staff were all wonderful. So polite and willing. Always smiling and pleased to see you. I have never experienced anything like it. Will I go back? Just try and stop me! If you are lucky enough to visit this hotel, look out for the ladies that holiday nearabouts in private apartments. This is the Hotel they choose for their indulgences around the pool. Surely that speaks volumes.
Every day we would await the delight which the maids would leave in our room made from fresh, clean towels. Often with the aid of a prop or two! One day we were presented with a crocodile, jaws open with my daughters much travelled 23yr old "doggy" proping its jaws open and guxzzling a bottle of wine. Doggy sat on an elephant dressed in my nightie. Everyday something special. After a night away in Aswan visiting Abu Simbel, a plate of fresh fruit was waiting for us in our room. You could not ask for better care ofr attention. Don't take my word for it, go see for yourself.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank swavey
Reviewed 4 February 2010

As a mature solo traveller in my seventies, I wanted a perfectly positioned hotel on the Nile, handy for all the best sights to see in Luxor and beyond. My son, who lives in Southern Spain, found me this gem on the Nile after much Googling, reading reviews on Trip Advisor et al, flying over the hotel with Google Earth to check it out and finally rang the staff at the hotel before booking it with DirectLine Holidays on the web.
His choice was spot on!
I have been to the hotel twice; Jan 2009 to see Luxor and the West Bank, and also took a trip to Cairo, but as a week is not enough, I returned in Jan 2010 for another two weeks so I could see more tombs and go to Abu Symbel, Aswan, etc., etc. As there is so much to see I will be going back again to Luxor.

All the staff at the Lotus Hotel, and especially Adam on reception, made my stay so enjoyable. I will certainly be going back to the hotel again next year.

I had the good fortune to find on my first week there a good, reliable personal guide named Mohammed, one of the taxi drivers who works right outside the hotel. He was brilliant, showed me the Eygypt the tourists don´t usally see, unhurried and no crowds, and he waited patiently for hours whilst I went into monuments and also acompanied me on the most arduous trips. On the second trip I hired him to take me further afield.

If you would like any more info about the Lotus Hotel, the area or Mohammed, you can contact me through my son jjquirke@gmail.com . Rosemary Quirke, Waterloo, Merseyside.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank RosemaryQuirke
Reviewed 7 January 2010

just returned from the lotus (30th dec to the6th jan ) and just to say that it was a lovely little hotel stuck between 2 giants either side the stienenberger and the sonetsa st george. The staff were really fiendly the food was good (but recomend bed and breakfast ) the rooms were cleaned every day and some of the towel displays were awesome lol. another tip take some loo roll as they only put one a day of those cheap ones in with about ten sheets. Now a few tips you will not expirience hassle like this in your life when you walk on to the street so my tip is look for a little karesh driver (horse and caarriage) number 101 his name is sas and he is 21 but speaks good english he will show you around and you can book all your trips through him and his network of friends there is mahmood the faluke captain a nice trip with him. dont use the tour reps as they are a big con we save about a hundred pound using the street guys just trust them and haggle just over the road and to the right is murphys bar puts all the football on and serves good food.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TerryandSue
Reviewed 18 December 2009

This hotel is a little gem. Not all that small, just appears to be cos of two monsters either side of it, the Nile Palace and Sonesta St George. The Lotus has been cleverly designed so that all rooms are at the back, with an uninterrupted view of the Nile and West Bank. Its very nice garden and pool area are at lower ground floor level, so very little street noise, and the grounds go right to the river's edge. Very tranquil and relaxing. A good place for river watching, and Pied Kingfisher watching.

Bit of a struggle to get drinks and snacks served down there due to the waiter having to trek back to the restaurant for every little thing, but whilst I was there great progress was being made on a poolside bar, so fingers crossed for next time.

The rooms are not huge, but clean, bright and fairly well furnished. Previous reviewers have complained of hard beds, but mine was very comfortable. The mattress was very thick and firm, but I wouldn't describe it as hard. You have TV and a fridge, and the bathroom is nice. I had no hot water problems. Cleaning every day, and towel sculptures (the Elephant was my best one!). Don't do what I did, come in and leap in the shower, then find you have no towels in the bathroom because they had been made into a little man laying on the bed wearing my T-shirt!

The hotel is towards the southern end of town, about 20 mins walk from Luxor Temple and the Corniche area. I was told that Karnak is about an hour's walk. You will find it easier to walk in the road due to all the vegetation on the pavements! And if it all becomes too much, don't worry, you won't go short of transportation offers!!

For eating out and bars there's plenty of choice. I ate nearly every night at The Lantern, an English-run restaurant about 2 mins from the hotel up the street opposite. The food was so nice I didn't bother trying anywhere else but there are lots of other restaurants to choose from. For drinks, The King's Head Pub (above Sunrise opp hotel) is cheap and very like an English pub with a pool table. Also there is Murphy's Irish Pub up next street to the right, and if you need a footie-fix go to John & Johns Bar at the Gaddis Hotel (5 mins further along to the right). All are much cheaper than the beer in the Lotus, though without the lovely river view.

This 3 star hotel is, I think, very good value for money. The food, although not great, is quite acceptable. The staff are very polite and helpful. I found it very nice all round and would definitely go back. I didn't want to leave that fabulous view!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lynwill53
Reviewed 13 December 2009

We booked the hotel from Cairo and were anxious. But after reaching the hotel from airport at night we were really delighted. All the rooms were Nile-View and well furnished. The bathrooms were clean. The breakfast was good.

The lawn behind the hotel by Nile was so charming that one can pass a whole day sitting on a chair and watching the beauty of the Nile. Even you can enjoy the scenery from the veranda of the room.

There are several souvenir shops just outside the hotel. We used to go to the Ritz Restaurant, only 100 meters from the hotel, for our lunch and dinner. Taxis and Calèches (horse-drawn carriages) are available outside the hotel.

Excellent hotel for relaxation and worth staying.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Abeer71
Reviewed 6 December 2009

This was our second visit to the Lotus this year,and it as improved since our visit in March.This time we upgraded to a suite with a full Nile view,it was well worth the extra we had to pay.The breakfast was better than our last visit,but there is still room for improvement.We were only on B&B so we only had dinner in the hotel a few times and it was very good 50 LE per person for the buffet.
The hotel is very clean and all the staff are very friendly and helpful.The two lads who look after the swimming pool and pool side bar,deserve a special mention.They are called Ra madam and Osama and they are very funny and nothing is too much trouble for them.The snacks by the the pool are very good,and very cheap.
They are now building a bar in the reception area because at the moment there is only a waiter there,if you can find him,so this might encourage more people to sit and have a drink in the evenings.
All in all for the price you pay it really is good value for money,compared to some of the bigger hotels in the area,and the hotel is well worth a visit

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple