“Worst experience”

Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
London, United Kingdom
“Worst experience”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I stayed in Luxor for two days and it was the worst experience I've had, the room was not very clean, the breakfast too bad and a lot of noise nearby. The reception staff got a good guide who took us to the tours (amazing places), but in time to help arrange tickets to leave it was a mess! They tried at all costs to take more money from us, asked us to tell no one about it, they were trying to buy tickets from blackmarket... I dono advise or recommend and not even for one backpacker night only!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lauren M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Had so much fun staying at Nefertiti :) Was a bit nervous to be traveling alone but from the moment I arrived, the hotel staff was very accommodating and friendly. I appreciated that they kept my things safe pre & post-check out while I was touring. After touring, I sat on the roof and downstairs on the street chatting with them about politics, exchanging Arabic and English tips, travel advice, and meeting other guests, which made me feel very safe and welcome.

My room was spotless, have seen some doubts about this in other reviews but in my experience the room, bathroom & linens were all very clean. The food was excellent, even more so after meeting the charismatic chef :) You can eat on the roof with views of Luxor Temple (particularly great at sunset and evening when it's all lit up) or downstairs near the souk.

I came to know almost all of the staff by name and really, truly enjoyed their company. I had such a memorable, fun experience in Luxor from start to finish thanks to them :)

Room Tip: Bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper, the area is lively and there's music and people ch...
2 Thank Brittany133
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 30 March 2014

It is hard to find a better location for a stay in Luxor, and the staff was very friendly and eager to ensure that my stay was perfect.

And my guide to the temples of central Egypt, Monsoor, was probably one of the best in the region. He not only had a vast knowledge of each site and the back stories, but trained many of the other guides in the area.

And I should not forget my driver, Ahmed, who did a great job in driving me all over central Egypt.

2 Thank Edward T
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I know Nefertiti got good reviews. There's always a first for a bad review., None of the outlets in my room worked to charge my phone so i brought it down to the receptionist. he said no probem, it will be safe here. So i went out for dinner, came back and the phone was gone. the recepionist, who is supposed to be friendly, interrogated me. They tried to say i was my fault. It was a nighmare fighting with them. So all my photos, numbers, etc. are gone. I was shocked by the way they treated me. they can be all sweetness and light when you arrive but when they are not doing that they beome Jekyll.

Room Tip: Do not go to this hote. If you want to ingnore my post then i wish you the best of luck there. esp...
2 Thank lucasbandera
Aladinefertiti294205, Owner at Nefertiti Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
First off all, we feel sorry for your bad experience.
The outlets in your room are all working. For us, it's a strange complain this is a malfunction. Second, if you decide to charge your phone in the reception, it's not our responsibility to look after it the hole night when you are out for dinner and you plug it in the public area.
As a third, Diyya, the receptionist you complain about, he is a staff member since nine years. He explained a different story to me then what you say. He said you came in totally drunk, talked to him in a bad way and you made big noise. From my side, the owner, I trust my staff, but in the same way, we tried to help you to solve this problem the morning after. If you are fair, you should mentioned this also in your review. You get from us exactly the compensation you asked for, even we are not sure about the hole story.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We came just an hour after a big shower of rain. Was staying here for one week. Let me write from start :-)

First room (204 i think) was just over a local coffee shop and the bathroom was not cleaned on the floor. Did not tell them, because I felt they was stressed about all the rain and had problems with the rooms at the 4 floor. Later In the evening I said that tomorrow I think we want to change room.

The hotel do not serve alcohol, so I asked If they could get us some Stella (beer). I knew it was only 10 Egyptian pound (LE) for a bottle, so gave them 100. Was very surprised when they fast came back with 10 small cans to 5 LE each and did not give me any money back. They told me also a way to the shop for wine and beer.

Went up to the roof for some dinner :-) Met Mahmoud he was just fantastic true out the stay. Had with us a couple of beer up and ordered Al-Sahaby Chicken + Al-Sahaby Tajin. The food was good but had only 5 small cubes of beef in the Tajin. The price In the menu Is without taxes and service. You have to add 22 % on the price.

First thing we told the reception In the morning was that we want to change our room. This was no problems at all. (We could not sleep before 3 am because of the local coffee shop) Got a much better room and all was clean and good. Had a balcony with not a perfect view. (see picture) But It did not smell. 306 and 308 are quiet so if you get on that side I think that Is the best.

The next day we took It just easy after long days In Cairo. They all the time asked what we was doing. We went around by our self most of the time. Ordered from the reception a sunset trip with a felucca on the Nile. We got the boat with name WOW and Abu Yousef. What a treasure. One of our best afternoons In Luxor. Good price but I am sure you get It cheaper If you book by yourself. Paid 100 LE pr.pers. for 3 hours. Went also to Banana Island paid extra 10 LE for that.

We learned a easier way to the beer shop :-) Just go out In the main road from the hotel take left around the hotel corner ( just like you are going around the hotel) and you see the Stella sign just a cross from the local coffee shop.

The view from the rooftop Is just so good, you can see all to Hatshepsut Temple and that Is so nice when the light gets on In the evening. To left you look straight at Luxor Temple.

We had a fantastic Camel meat dish. (All In the back of the menu.) Rabbit we also had, but I found It a little dry and small peace of meat. We tried also for dessert the lemon and honey Crepe. Have to smile when I remember our faces. That was not one ml of honey, but plenty of lemon and sorry but I could not eat it. ( good service did not have to pay for it).

We also tried the Pizza with apple and orange. Was very good and ordered it another day too. Then It was with apple cubes and no orange.

Mahmoud on the roof top works from 11 am to 11 pm off on Fridays. He loves his works and run like crazy :-) all the floors down to get our food. (the kitchen are all the way downstairs of the hotel) Did not like the restaurant downstairs more quiet and nice at the roof.

Cleaning of the room was ok. One day they did not clean and we was told that If we are late out we had to tell In the reception that we wanted the room cleaned. Did not do that, but when we where back In the afternoon the rest of the days, It was cleaned :-) If we needed something we asked and got it straight away. It is no curtains around the shower, so would like to have an extra towel or rug to stay on after shower.

The breakfast from 7 am to 10 am. Same stuff every day + for fresh omelette. Would like some different jam, not only apricot or figs. Falafel some times like a puck. I do not know why they not have big boxes of Juhayna juice that you can get In different flavors for breakfast. Instead It was something looked like orange juice In a glass mug and tasted like water. Not sure If they use local water, because my stomach got better when I stopped drinking It. On day they also cleaned the roof before breakfast was finished. And to be honest It Is not nice looking at the dirty water when you have your breakfast.

They are very good on service and the view are perfect. Beds a little hard for my like. But all in all a good stay.

Miss the American friends I met at the breakfast. Mahmoud on the roof I hope you get more people also In the evenings. Will come and visit you again :-)

All in all a good low budget hotel. But the kitchen need staff that makes the same food not the same dish different the next time you order It. Reception Is good and they will help you with most everything. For a low budget hotel I can recommend It.

First hotel I did not tip In the reception when I left. Since they took 50 LE commission on the beer they bought for me without telling.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me :-)

Room Tip: Would stay at the rooms our the hotel restaurant on the 3 floor, even the last steps can be hard...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank M0na62
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We didn't stay here but we viisited frequently because it was so quiet and peaceful with such friendly staff.Aladin,the owner,runs a brilliant tour company which we used.He was so knowledgeable and helpful.The food here is excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sylviabarry
ALADINEFERTITI, Owner at Nefertiti Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thank you for your kind review of your stay at the Nefertiti Hotel. We sincerely appreciate receiving comments and feedback in order to continually improve on our service.

We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us and very much look forward to welcoming you to the Nefertiti Hotel one day soon.

Best Wishes,
Kanto, Japan
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

staff is so kind and, hotel is close luxor and karnak temple.The restrunt have very good view.Deyaa' is very kind with guest.I will come back to this hotel!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank bigfopse

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Nefertiti Hotel one day soon.

Best Wishes