“Very Basic, Fine for a Short Stay but not any longer”
Review of Morris Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Luxor
Morris Hotel
Ranked #43 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
San Francisco, California
“Very Basic, Fine for a Short Stay but not any longer”
Reviewed 25 April 2010

We spent very little time at this hotel, as we arrived on a late flight from Cairo and then work up about 4:30 the next morning for a hot air balloon in Luxor. So location-wise and service, I really can't comment too much on.

As far as the rooms, they were clean enough, this is your basic 3-star hotel. Very little amenity-wise in the bathroom, don't offer many toiletries (only soap), and the towels are thin. The shower curtain was not long enough so water got all over the floor.

The room had 2 bed, and really chunky furniture -- be careful getting up in the dark in the middle of the night! Also, I don't believe our room had air conditioning, at least it was really warm, but again, we were exhausted when we got in there and went straight to bed, so I'm not 100% sure.

We did not eat the breakfast buffet but did take a breakfast box which was very disappointing -- one piece of fruit and then all breads, rolls, pastries, just carbs.

If you're going with Sharm Excursions like we did, you'll probably be fine for one-night, especially if it's such a short time like for us, but I would not want to stay in this hotel for an extended period. Because I booked through a packager, I have no idea the cost of the room and if it's a good value. Perhaps if you're on a budget and the price is right, it would be an okay option.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

• Korean first
Kent, England
Reviewed 2 March 2010

After reading some reviews we were a little apprehensive of our stay at the Morris in Luxor! Well, we wre pleasantly surprised! The Hotel needed a good hoovering, but apart from that, we had a lovely time there! We had clean sheets and towels every day, and room tidied by very pleasant staff! The lift was working and the pool was clean and such a lovely view from the roof! All staff were friendly, and many thanks to Samy, who looked after all our Housekeeping needs always with a smile and a laugh! Also to Sayed, the manager of the restaurant ant pool bar, who was a delight, very proffesional, and nothing was too much trouble for him! Couldnt have wished for any better service from any of the big hotels. We would definately stay at the Morris on our next visit. I would reccommend this Hotel, and its staff to anyone who is looking for a reasonably priced hotel ! clean sheets and towels every day does it for me!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank DebbieReynolds_10
London
Reviewed 28 February 2010

I first stayed at the Morris in March 2009, and was very impressed, but in less than a year the hotel has gone rapidly downhill. Sadly most of the staff have changed for the worse. My room was never cleaned in the 9 nights I was there, despite frequent complaints to reception. It was always promised but never happened.

The staff didn't seem to care. I asked to change rooms to have a balcony, never usually a problem in Egypt, but again this never happened despite there being many empty rooms available.
On one night a large tour group came and the place resembled a youth hostel with people shouting, screaming, slamming doors and running through the corridors for much of the night.

Last year the roof terrace was open for drinks and snacks but this time there wasn't a member of staff in sight. Probably because the lifts were out of order for the whole 10 days of our stay!

Breakfast was chaotic with alot of waiters rushing around but none of them apparently serving guests in any way. The drinks jugs weren't marked so you didn't know whether it was tea, coffee or milk. Drinks were overpriced ( eg a Stella was a third more expensive than the Luxor Hilton!) and the service was distinctly 'unEgyptian' (ie unhelpful). It felt more like European standards of service instead of the Egyptian service I've been used to over many years of visiting that country.

Quite frankly the manager at the Morris seems to have lost control of his hotel, or simply doesn't care. Either way it was hugely disappointing to return there after less than a year and see how it has declined so much in standard. In its present state I would classify it as a budget hotel with very low levels of service.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Austinn

Travellers are raving about these Luxor hotels

Florida
Reviewed 12 January 2010

We booked the Morris as a prepaid hotel through a travel agent. When we arrived, we were told that we needed to pay an additional $50 (265 Egyptian pounds) per person (5 of us, that was $250 US) for the New Years eve party. We told them we didn't want to attend their party, they told us we didn't have a choice, and we had to pay. We were very upset as no one had told us about this, and they wouldn't give us a choice, When we finally relented and agreed to pay, their credit card machine didn't work, and they told us we had to pay cash, which we didn't have, not having planned for this. That was a bad start to an experience that only got worse. The rooms were decent but basic, with no soap or shampoo. Our air conditioning didn't work the whole duration of our stay, and despite multiple complaints, was never fixed, and they wouldn't move us to a different room, it was very hot and stuffy, and we couldn't open the windows because the mosquitoes came in droves. There was no curtain for the shower, so there was water all over the floor, We used our towels to pick it up, and asked for new towels, and didn't get any for 24 hours, despite many trips to the front desk. Our room didn't get cleaned at all the first day, and we complained so much that they finally sent someone to clean it at 11:30 at night! We brought some laundry to get cleaned, and it was returned nicely ironed, but not washed.... The morning after the New Years eve party, the leftovers were served for breakfast. And the morning after that, the same leftovers again. By then, the breads were hard, the salads were brown, it was disgusting. There was a room next to the gift shop that led to an inside garden. That room was littered with eggshells and orange peels. I have uploaded a picture of it, it was so disgusting. The state of the whole hotel was in disrepair. Only the first 2 floors were occupied, the rest was in construction. The hallways were always dirty and never vacuumed. There were utility rooms cluttered with junk, left opened across our room (see photo). The staff was totally unfriendly, and when we would try to get our air fixed or get towels, and ask to speak to the manager, we would always get the same answer: "he'll be here in one hour". But he never came, never took care of our problems, and was never there (according to the front desk clerk), when we asked for him. As soon as we stepped outside the hotel, we would constantly be hassled by carriage drivers who wanted our business. The streets were very busy and loud around the hotel, up until 4 or 5 in the morning. I would never recommend hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank oldfaithfulflorida
London
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Hotel does not reflect the pictures on this website. Only one restaurant. Lack of choice on menu. Restaurant unhygenic. Rooftop pool hardly gets cleaned as is the lack of room cleaning. Hotel requires a major overhaul. There are better quality hotels available in the vicinity of the Morris.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rakaash72
london
Reviewed 23 December 2009

Hotel is very large with 3 dining rooms. Situated within easy walking distance of Luxor Temple.
Staff always on hand to help can't do enough for you, this included dinner of our choice each day.
Ehab, the manager, very friendly guy, helped us to arrange days out etc. If you want to go anywhere he can help, just ask.
Rooms cleaned everyday, clean towels and bed linen.
Room was well air conditioned with TV and fridge.
On roof swimming pool was fab, great size with a bar and dining terrace on hand
I would highly recommend this hotel for all.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed 14 October 2009

I stayed 6 nights at the Morris in Luxor and was disappointed to say the least. On the second night, I noticed my feet hurting and looked down to see hundreds of tiny shards of glass in the carpet. I picked out dozens of glass splinters and was very annoyed. When I talked to staff about it, they said a man and woman from England was in my room today so I asked why. They said they made a mistake booking them into my room and they got mad so they shattered one of the tumbler glasses in the room. The large pieces were no where to be seen, but the carpet was not vacuumed. They apologized, but they kept following me into my room asking if everything was OK. I'd come in at 8PM and they'd follow me to my room for no apparent reason. There was a tension toward tourists from the hotel employees the whole time. Late in the evening, Egyptians were outside being noisy all the way until 3 or 4 with horses parked right outside till that late. Early each morning, people were banging on a metal dish like thing. It's a hellish miserable place despite how pretty the lobby is. The staff were not friendly, but did not try to push anything more than their awful food on me. There was no social scene despite there being a nice rooftop with bar and pool as well as a piano bar that never has a player. No one uses the common areas, because the staff are not friendly. They have serious issues going on and don't know anything about hospitality. Breakfast is terrible. Giant roaches were seen numerous times in the room and outside the room. Often had to climb stairs due to faulty elevator issues. No reasonable help available with setting up day trip drivers of any sort like the way cheap budget places will often do. No internet what so ever. No laundry service available. No computers and internet to print reservations and info. No photocopy machine so they had to keep my passport for a day to send it out somewhere else for a copy which made me very nervous. They advertise a disco at 9:30PM and piano bar, but nothing ever happens despite it being a pretty nice facility constructed of marble in a stately style on the ground and lower level floors. I asked at 9:30 about the 9:30 disco and they said it was changed to 11, but nothing ever came of it. My advice is to rent a budget 2 star for half the price and get something better and more centrally located near Luxor temple. Or rent a real 4 star for comfort. Avoid this dump as it was a very unpleasant experience. It could be a nice hotel if only they could at least do it half way right, be friendly, and helpful, but they are incompetent at their attempt to put on a hotel and lack professionalism of any sort.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo