“Redondo Retreat - Kakamega Forest”
Review of Kakamega Forest

Kakamega Forest
Ranked #106 of 331 things to do in Kenya
Reviewed 22 August 2014

If you are traveling through Kenya and are interested in wildlife, hiking or seeing a rainforest, this is a must. We stayed at the Redondo Retreat and met other ex-pats who had moved to Kenya and were vacationing. We took a sunrise hike to the top of the rainforest and heart the animals wake up with the day. It was beautiful.

Tea time and dining at the Redondo Retreat are two fun activities that are peaceful and let you experience some of the British culture leftover in Kenya.

I would go back.

1  Thank abitlovely

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This forest is really worth a visit! It has tons of birds and butterflies and even if you're not an animal lover you can enjoy a walk through this dense forest. It's also accessible via public transportation. We took a matatu from Kisumu to Kakamega town and from there a boda-boda to Isecheno. Make sure you bring down the price. We spent our nights at Forest Rest House in Isecheno. For information, call Abraham: +254726951764 He also does walks.

4  Thank Vrenivreni
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at udo's in my own tent. Saw a blank mamba, 4 monkey, and many many birds. Single female alone in a tent is not a good idea though. There is no fence and people can sneak in through the bush. My tent was surrounded in the middle of the night by men in flip flops. I took off running to the caretakers house and they left before I got back with the caretaker. The Rangers took it very seriously and deployed someone to sleep in the bush near my tent for the rest of the night, but it was pretty scary. I would imagine staying in the bandas is safer. The electricity is off (perhaps due to it being the off season), there is no toilet paper, the baboons will steal any soap left at the sink, and even the water was turned off a day before I left. Showers looked nasty and were not heated so I didn't bother. Rains daily in the afternoon/evening. Toilets are flushable holes in the ground. Only flushable when the water is actually running. I wouldn't go back, but I am glad I went once. It was cool. There are plans to fence in the forest and add animals to increase tourism and decrease tree poaching, which is very common. They will offer you a guide, but I never used one and always felt safe dieting the day, however the signage is terrible and you will be lucky to make it to the view point without one. I didn't. I did make it to the falls which were okay, but garbage was present. The black mamba was pretty amazing.

1  Thank Andi N
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Such a beautiful place and it was an amazing experience to immerse ourselves in the lush green rainforest. The experience would not have been as special without the fantastic help of Nancy Khadioli who was our forest guide. Having grown up in the area, she has an unparalleled knowledge of the local cultures, natural medicines found in the forest, and the botanical species. We learnt so much about the flora and fauna and had the opportunity to taste the local foods and medicines straight from the rainforest. She is also able to transfer this knowledge very well and with a great sense of humour and happy disposition. A great communicator. You can contact her on +254 729 911 386

1  Thank 415Jess
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The Kakamega Forest National Reserve is situated in the Lake Victoria basin, about 50km north of Kisumu city. Being the only remnant in Kenya of the unique Guineo-Congolian forest ecosystem, the park offers unique wildlife and scenic beauty. For bird and butterfly watchers, this is the place to visit. The forest is home to over 400 species of butterflies, about 300 bird species and 27 species of snakes. The park also supports more than 350 species of trees and 7 primate species including the endangered DeBrazza monkey, black and white colobus monkey and vervet monkey. The Potto (the world's slowest mammal on earth), duikers and Dik diks are also found in Kakamega Forest National Reserve.